Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

• 2 weeks later...

Easily MOTM I'd say.

And not only was he good, at taking on his defender and at providing good cut-backs and balls into the box, but he was incredibly consistent. Seemingly every time Melbourne City went forward with the ball you knew Duff could usefully contribute to the attack.

I'd like to see what sort of shot he's got on him though. He's scored some crackers in the Premier League, and it would be good to see what his shooting is like nowadays. Although Duff seems to be a pretty unselfish player, so his first instinct seems to be to set up a teammate for a shot.

Thrilled with Duff so far, and I can't wait to see more from him. 

David Villa may not be Melbourne City’s most important signing

David Villa scoring within minutes of entering the fray as a Melbourne City player was no surprise, but the performance of the man who set him up was to many.

Republic of Ireland man Damien Duff was arguably the best player on the park in the 1-1 draw with Sydney FC and it was his ball across the penalty area that gave Villa the opportunity to write the headlines.

Duff has only been signed to a one-year deal under the salary cap but if he can perform to that level regularly then City could have the bargain of the season on their hands.

http://backpagefootball.com/five-things-learned-week-league/85531/

Edited by Murfy1

David Villa may not be Melbourne City’s most important signing

David Villa scoring within minutes of entering the fray as a Melbourne City player was no surprise, but the performance of the man who set him up was to many.

Republic of Ireland man Damien Duff was arguably the best player on the park in the 1-1 draw with Sydney FC and it was his ball across the penalty area that gave Villa the opportunity to write the headlines.

Duff has only been signed to a one-year deal under the salary cap but if he can perform to that level regularly then City could have the bargain of the season on their hands.

http://backpagefootball.com/five-things-learned-week-league/85531/

Sign him up again need another season out of him at this rate

A lot of humble pie to be eaten on the Fourfourtwo forums. Did alright for a washed up 35 year old winger with a bad knee.

I haven't been able to get onto fourfourtwo for about 4 months. Did you do anything special to get it working? Get a 404 on every computer I use. Only been able to get it working using data on my phone, but every cunt has a gif in their sig and it destroys my data cap lol.

Would love to see this humble pie from butthurt 442 forumites.

A lot of humble pie to be eaten on the Fourfourtwo forums. Did alright for a washed up 35 year old winger with a bad knee.

I haven't been able to get onto fourfourtwo for about 4 months. Did you do anything special to get it working? Get a 404 on every computer I use. Only been able to get it working using data on my phone, but every cunt has a gif in their sig and it destroys my data cap lol.

Would love to see this humble pie from butthurt 442 forumites.

This happens when I use a PC that I have never logged on to 442 with.

They say its supposed to stop spam.

I say the new owners want the forum to die.  Lots of posters are already gone.

No money in it if no-one reads the articles and doesn't see the advertising.

Interesting comments from young Mariners left-back Mickey Neill, who played against Melbourne City and Damien Duff in pre-season, and looks likely to play in the Mariners FFA Cup match tomorrow:

"The coach said I was close to being named on Saturday and now I've got the chance I have to show him what I can do," Neill told AAP.

"I marked Duff when we played against Melbourne City and he was class.

"I learned a hell of lot from playing against him, his speed of thought and decision making were outstanding.

"He didn't say much on the field to me and my first tackle on him was a foul.

"But overall I did OK and got a lot of confidence from it."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25248280/moss-to-make-eight-changes-for-ffa-cup/

Interesting comments from young Mariners left-back Mickey Neill, who played against Melbourne City and Damien Duff in pre-season, and looks likely to play in the Mariners FFA Cup match tomorrow:

"The coach said I was close to being named on Saturday and now I've got the chance I have to show him what I can do," Neill told AAP.

"I marked Duff when we played against Melbourne City and he was class.

"I learned a hell of lot from playing against him, his speed of thought and decision making were outstanding.

"He didn't say much on the field to me and my first tackle on him was a foul.

"But overall I did OK and got a lot of confidence from it."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25248280/moss-to-make-eight-changes-for-ffa-cup/

My grandad claims he once had to mark Stanley Matthews. He fouled him all game, and the only thing he learned was that he should quit football

• Like 1

Man of the hour (and a half)

Damien Duff was fantastic for Melbourne City. It was tempting to look at his age (35) and doubt he could have much left, but he was the hardest-working player on the field against Sydney FC. Even right at the end of the game, he was way back in the defence cutting off the last move by the opposition.

Duff was totally unselfish. He delivered the ball that led to Villa's goal and when his new team-mates get used to his tremendous ability to run the ball deep and then accurately cut it back they are going to be lining up to score off him.

Duff may grab the odd goal himself but it's in the assists department that he'll really thrive.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/10/14/false-9-league-round-1-hunted-down

City's Duff up and running in A-League

Rob Forsaith

Oct 15 2014

Refreshing as it may be, don't confuse Damien Duff's one-year stint in the A-League as a sabbatical.

Duff starred in Melbourne City's season-opening draw with Sydney FC, helping set up Spanish sensation David Villa's equaliser.

It wasn't just Duff's graceful touch, sharp passes and astute decisions that stood out at Allianz Stadium.

The 35-year-old played the entire match and looked sprightly throughout.

"From a fitness point of view I was surprised I did feel so good. I think my last competitive game was early February," said Duff, who spent 17 seasons in the English Premier League.

"And I've had a bad enough injury since then.

"Over here your fitness levels have to be through the roof and I think we're a fit bunch.

"I've been spoilt here with the training, the gaffer and the coaches.

"I feel as fit as I have in a long, long time."

It's a pointer of how Duff is approaching life at City.

Like many of his compatriots, the Irishman will enjoy his time in Australia and traverse the land.

Like many, Duff plans to return to the United Kingdom after one year - wanting his children to be schooled at home.

But that's where most of the comparisons end. This is no jaunt, pub crawl or working holiday for the former Chelsea winger.

"I'm not here for fun. I'm not here for a holiday or to make friends. I'm here to play football," Duff said prior to Wednesday's training session.

"I'm here to win games and hopefully win some silverware."

Duff suggested a stint in Australia had been on his agenda for some time.

"Life is short. A football career is even shorter and it's just a taste of something different and something new," he said.

"It was a no brainer."

Duff was impressed by the standard of the league, going so far as to say he wished he signed up earlier.

"I know I'm not getting any younger. I'm 35 so maybe a year or two earlier would have been nice," he said.

Duff noted it was a "privilege" to play alongside Villa and suggested the investment from City's global soccer group pointed to a club that is "going places".

His only concern? Having to wait so long for last Saturday.

"It was a long time coming. It's the longest pre-season ever known to man I think," he said.

City host Newcastle Jets on Sunday, with a blockbuster crowd expected for Villa and Duff's first match at AAMI Park.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8918948

A shame that in todays club email interview he was pretty certain in his refusal to hang around longer then a year so his kids could start school back in Ireland. Seems like a born winner, the kind that we haven't really had at the club before. He'll definitely add even more motivation for the players to work their arses off for the league this year. 

A shame that in todays club email interview he was pretty certain in his refusal to hang around longer then a year so his kids could start school back in Ireland. Seems like a born winner, the kind that we haven't really had at the club before. He'll definitely add even more motivation for the players to work their arses off for the league this year. 

You never know what a year in Australia, especially Melbourne, and especially if we have a good season, can do to the way you feel. The place grows on you very quickly and suddenly it's not that easy to go back to the UK or Ireland after all...

Edited by jw1739

Jose Mourinho pays tribute to Damien Duff: He had the appetite to kill matches

17/10/2014

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has played a glowing tribute to former Republic of Ireland international Damien Duff.

Mourinho was asked to compare his 2005 Premier League winning team with his current crop of stars in an interview with Gary Neville for the Daily Telegraph.

“I think the team of 2005 had one plus in relation to this team, which was killer instinct. Every time we could kill matches, we killed matches. I don’t remember matches where we had the opponent and didn’t kill. It was a team that never gave a chance to the opponent to survive.

He favoured the team he had just under a decade ago for their "killer instinct" and singled out Duff, who is playing for A-League side Melbourne City, for praise.

“This team is not there. We are more artistic, I believe. We have better control of the game by having the ball, and by knowing how to move between players – the circulation of the ball," he said.

“This team has more [potential] to be admired by good results but also for a certain style of play. In that team I had guys like Makelele. He knew everything about that [toughness]. These guys are still in that learning process. I think we are going in a very good direction. People like [Arjen] Robben, [Damien] Duff, even Joe [Cole] in his two great seasons with me were people with appetite to kill matches, to finish.

“You don’t see Duff dribbling without a shot. You don’t see Robben attack the space without getting a penalty or shooting. We have some guys still in the line between the artistic side and the objective side. We need to kill more matches.”

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/chelsea/jose-mourinho-pays-tribute-to-damien-duff-he-had-the-appetite-to-kill-matches-30672837.html

I am disappointed we are playing him out of position on the right.  He's been great, but would surely be even better on his natural left side.

I think if and once we sign Josh Kennedy, he may move to the left as our plan will be more so of a crossing one. So he will then be able to get to the buy line and put in a ball to JK without having to cut back onto his preferred foot.

Right now, I can see why he's on the right, given that Villa plays left or centre and if Villa does play centre, He's not the type thats going to dominate balls in the air coming into the box like Kennedy will be