Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

It doesn't look to good for Damien.

If he is out for the season, then I can see him mutually agreeing to terminate his contract, which will allow us to bring in another player.

Hope it isn't that serious.

There is no point in doing that, because it brings up the salary cap problem. Better to have an injury replacement player.

Why? I thought if you terminated your contract it would free the salary up for another player? 

If my understanding of the rules is correct, if we pay him anything at all it'll count towards the cap. Taking that into account, I'm assuming he wouldn't agree to terminate his contract for nothing, probably still requesting some kind of pay out.

If he is out for the season, then I can see him mutually agreeing to terminate his contract, which will allow us to bring in another player.

There is no point in doing that, because it brings up the salary cap problem. Better to have an injury replacement player.

Why? I thought if you terminated your contract it would free the salary up for another player?

If my understanding of the rules is correct, if we pay him anything at all it'll count towards the cap. Taking that into account, I'm assuming he wouldn't agree to terminate his contract for nothing, probably still requesting some kind of pay out.

If you pay a player out its counted towards the cap. The reason there are players swapping clubs is because the new club has agreed to 'take on' the salary and the contract is terminated mutually

I believe the injury rule is that you can bring in a player on the same wage and I would assume Duff is on a high one.

Edited by Dylan

If you pay a player out its counted towards the cap. The reason there are players swapping clubs is because the new club has agreed to 'take on' the salary and the contract is terminated mutually

I believe the injury rule is that you can bring in a player on the same wage and I would assume Duff is on a high one.

Yep, so if he's broken the better move would be to bring in an injury replacement.

• Like 1

I honestly hope he is okay but it doesn't look good. However, if it is the worst and he is out fro the season, I don't think Damien will ask for any pay off. He isn't poor by any means.

I didn't realise that Dylan

Maybe we could squeeze another player in for a few weeks as we have quite a few injuries. Or are you only allowed one injury replacement player at a time?

Yep, so if he's broken the better move would be to bring in an injury replacement.

Yep and he would be on the same wage. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be bad if they went looking for a permanent duff replacement and being an injury replacement it would allow a front loading of a contract.

Maybe we could squeeze another player in for a few weeks as we have quite a few injuries. Or are you only allowed one injury replacement player at a time?

Nah Sydney have about three replacements now

Nah Sydney have about three replacements now

Yes but we are from Melbourne lol different rules and all that!!

If broken would almost be a sad end to a great career. IMO alongside Mooy he's been the most consistent this season.

Donate a Melburnians scarf to him if its the end for him and get as many signatures from the Melburnians that will fit :up:

For a professional footballer with a career like his its a gift from left field that would probably cement any good memories of his time here.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 3

he's on crutches already, doesn't look good

Is that a fact or just rumour?

watched him go past me, at same hotel

Well thanks for the info

Does sound like a minimum 3 weeks or so

We must get an injury replacement in for him.

Pal, the only injury replacements we get are discards who get injured, rendering the whole exercise useless. You haven't been following this league long, have you?

PS Good job getting up again for the game.

he's on crutches already, doesn't look good

Is that a fact or just rumour?

watched him go past me, at same hotel

Well thanks for the info

Does sound like a minimum 3 weeks or so

We must get an injury replacement in for him.

Pal, the only injury replacements we get are discards who get injured, rendering the whole exercise useless. You haven't been following this league long, have you?

PS Good job getting up again for the game.

Since January last year Pete

Well I am sure there are some free agents out there who wouldn't mind spending sometime in Melbourne for a few months.

shattered to hear Duff is out for the season.  

as a side thought, i did notice that Scott McDonald is still out of contract / without a club.  Way too early to have any real idea of who the club will go after, but possibly a decent replacement.  

McDonald was "released" by Millwall late January, so at least he'll have a reasonable level of fitness.

Are we as City supporters will be signing a scarf or some big Get Well card for this guy? May not heal his injury but will definitely warm his heart.

I think I'll try to make an adjustment to the Duffman two stick, hopefully before Sunday but more likely by the Adelaide game. Just depends when I can get it from the club.

Are we as City supporters will be signing a scarf or some big Get Well card for this guy? May not heal his injury but will definitely warm his heart.

I think I'll try to make an adjustment to the Duffman two stick, hopefully before Sunday but more likely by the Adelaide game. Just depends when I can get it from the club.

with crutches?

• Like 1