Melbourne Football

CCM vs Heart on the 5/1/13 at 5:00pm at Bluetongue Stadium

cadete

I disagree with a lot of you guys on this one, I don't think we were that much better than we have been for the rest of the season at all today. I mean, yeah we had more possession (most of it in our defensive half) but once again, we barely created anything against an extremely dull and devoid of ideas Mariners outfit. 

Would love to see us actually win a game for once.

• Like 2

So after watching that there is a massive improvement on how we play. Trying to play it out from the back, using the midfeild in attack, short passing and a desire to control the ball. Players didn't move enough at times and some players lack the skill or confidence to play the short quick ball (Hoff is one example). We ran out of steam late on and started to resort to longer ball stuff but all in all I am happy with the direction and intent of the team now. Just need to work on the speed of our play and 90 minute intensity. Also some finishing would be good. Tadic would be perfect now.

THe game itself was a little dull, neither team moved the ball quickly. The Mariners didn't look like scoring really and we dropped off badly late in the game.

• Like 1

I disagree with a lot of you guys on this one, I don't think we were that much better than we have been for the rest of the season at all today. I mean, yeah we had more possession (most of it in our defensive half) but once again, we barely created anything against an extremely dull and devoid of ideas Mariners outfit. 

Would love to see us actually win a game for once.

We aren't good enough on or off the ball to play this style of football, but it's better than what we were doing before.  At least this way we can control games and say that we're at least trying to play good football.

Give JvS a break everyone. He can work only with the players he's got. Only Williams dates from his era on an unbroken contract - the others are all signings or re-signings made after his departure.

The reality is that the squad was overrated by everyone, as was demonstrated by the pre-season. It is and always was unbalanced, and we don't have a second no. 9 other than Macallister. In the youth squad only Stipo is what I would call a no. 9. Our so-called first-choice wingers are all poor or grossly out of form. And, yes, I would agree that the players are not fit enough - interesting observation that as it was one of the first things my son, who is here from Germany, said on seeing the Heart at AAMI.

Only by releasing several players can we make any new signings. And IMO that's not going to happen, particularly if there is a change of ownership in the offing. Lynch's article today is still foresadowing that to occur this month.

If I was the Chairman I'd be giving JvS the authority to sign a guest striker for the final 10 games of the season.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Give JvS a break everyone. He can work only with the players he's got. Only Williams dates from his era on an unbroken contract - the others are all signings or re-signings made after his departure.

The reality is that the squad was overrated by everyone, as was demonstrated by the pre-season. It is and always was unbalanced, and we don't have a second no. 9 other than Macallister. In the youth squad only Stipo is what I would call a no. 9. Our so-called first-choice wingers are all poor or grossly out of form. And, yes, I would agree that the players are not fit enough - interesting observation that as it was one of the first things my son, who is here from Germany, made on seeing the Heart at AAMI.

Only by releasing several players can we make any new signings. And IMO that's not going to happen, particularly if there is a change of ownership in the offing. Lynch's article today is still foresadowing that to occur this month.

If I was the Chairman I'd be giving JvS the authority to sign a guest striker for the final 10 games of the season.

Fwiw. I am not having a dig at jvs. Its just more the people that are blowing their load at him being back. He is not a wizard and never has been. This was never going to be anything more than a patch up job which is exactly what I saw.

All I am saying is all the JVS fan boys need to calm down

• Like 1

The reality is that the squad was overrated by everyone, as was demonstrated by the pre-season. It is and always was unbalanced, and we don't have a second no. 9 other than Macallister. In the youth squad only Stipo is what I would call a no. 9. Our so-called first-choice wingers are all poor or grossly out of form. And, yes, I would agree that the players are not fit enough - interesting observation that as it was one of the first things my son, who is here from Germany, made on seeing the Heart at AAMI.

Fwiw. I am not having a dig at jvs. Its just more the people that are blowing their load at him being back. He is not a wizard and never has been. This was never going to be anything more than a patch up job which is exactly what I saw.

All I am saying is all the JVS fan boys need to calm down

I completely agree. Everyone needs to calm down. JvS is a caretaker coach, stepping into the role after one of the all-time worst A-League coaches has vacated it. He has a squad of players many of whom would not get a gig at another A-League club. He cannot work miracles.

FWIW I would be bold next game and bring in Walker on the RW (where he used to play), and Garuccio on the LW.

Positives:

-we played the ball along the ground. I don't remember any aimless long balls in play or from the keeper until the last 10 minutes when we were buggered. Redmayne especially was an improvement in this regard.

-We are looking to pass the ball through the midfield, using Kalmar and Kewell to create.

-Thought Gerhardt was our best today. Anticipated and cut off many Mariner passes and it's the first time I haven't seen him aimlessly bomb the ball

-Actually looked for a midfielder to push back (Kalmar) and work it through midfield instead of bypassing the midfield

-Played the ball in space for guys like Mifsud to run onto, who actually managed to retain possession under pressure for once

Criticisms:

-Wingers and full backs were non existent today. Hoffman was the only one to rate better than "poor" for mine and bizarrely was much more attacking than Behich was today. Full credit to him he has actually justified his spot in the squad with some decent performances.

-Don't move enough to create options. Too often we got stuck passing between defenders because we didn't have anything to pass to and when we did they didn't have an outlet

-Finishing still not there. Mifsud was the only one to have good chances really but to improve we need to convert a half chance every now and then.

-Fitness isn't there, however this was a byproduct of working hard to pressure and harrass

-I thought Behich turned the corner a little last week taking them on again but today he was very poor.

Would like to see Mauk kept in the squad, Garrucio brought in to the left wing and wouldn't mind Retre on the bench ahead of Migliorini if Miggers is just there as injury cover. Also wouldn't mind seeing Schroen in the squad, although I believe he and Mauk are fighting for the same position.

• Like 1

As this thread shows, this match can be interpreted in so many different ways.

But one thing is certain. If Aloisi was still coaching, we would have lost and the performance would have been awful. We would have played long balls all game and confidence would have been rock bottom with the whole team.

I'd still say confidence is low (understandably! given how long we were winless under JA), and I think that's why the team looked a bit lethargic. IMO the team is pretty fit (or at least, Heart is probably fitter than it's been in previous seasons). Besides low confidence, the other key reason I think Heart looked a little slow is that so few of our players know how to play a possession game, given the year and a half of hoofball that JA instilled into the team.

But I think things are steadily turning around. Murdocca said post-match that today's game was the most fun he's had whilst playing for Heart. As Mass said, it was very enjoyable to actually play football again. And as JVS will make Heart play football every match, I reckon confidence is bound to improve and the results will come.

This is not a great start to the post-Aloisi period, but it's a good start. A draw against the Mariners away (who we've only ever beaten once!) is nothing to sneeze at. I agree the squad was probably overrated, but I still firmly believe that this isn't a wooden spoon squad.

We'll get a better sense of where things are heading under JVS over the next 2 matches, but I'd take Heart under JVS over Heart under JA any day of the week.

Pretty much my thoughts too. At least we are trying to play football now.

This is the first time since the first half against Roar when we haven't looked like a pub team that met for the first time after they were already sloshed. We weren't good, but it's at least something to build on for once.

I'd give Mifsud a run in the FNYL team so that he can get his scoring confidence back and play Williams as a 9. Not sure why Gerhardt is playing, a shadow of his former self at the moment.

The most telling comment was Mass' comment that football was fun again, nobody looked happy under JA.

Edited by belaguttman

CCM without some players but on their home turf they should have been more positive. JVS could do nothing more than steady the ship and this is what happened today. But we are still pretty shit TBH. Lack of movement meaning Wielaert to PG to Wielaert to PG to Wielaert to Kalmar to Wielaert to PG and farken on it goes. Few of our players have the confidence to turn around and attack the opposition like Roar did so farken well last night. Mifsud is an absolute waste of space. Soooo frustrating watching this shit.

• Like 1

CCM without some players but on their home turf they should have been more positive. JVS could do nothing more than steady the ship and this is what happened today. But we are still pretty shit TBH. Lack of movement meaning Wielaert to PG to Wielaert to PG to Wielaert to Kalmar to Wielaert to PG and farken on it goes. Few of our players have the confidence to turn around and attack the opposition like Roar did so farken well last night. Mifsud is an absolute waste of space. Soooo frustrating watching this shit.

We have a team that's devolved back to a pre-Devonian period level. It'll take time to evolve again.

Without Harry we would've created nothing today, he was the only player moving off the ball and on multiple occasions had to drop deep to give us an outlet from defence. Noticed him getting frustrated with Kalmar for the continuous backpasses to Weilart and PG. But yes atleast we stopped playing longball!

Also did Ramsay touch the ball??

Too many youth on at the same time risks the team getting blown out of the water. They're not used to this pace yet, and their intensity isn't at A-League level. 

You just can't go 'oh, JvS has a youth philosophy, better give ALL the kids game time'. 

• Like 3

Too many youth on at the same time risks the team getting blown out of the water. They're not used to this pace yet, and their intensity isn't at A-League level. 

You just can't go 'oh, JvS has a youth philosophy, better give ALL the kids game time'.

Not what I'm saying at all.

I want to focus on next year and beyond. Ramsay was and has been shit all season. What will we lose in our pposition if Garrucio comes into the team instead of him?

Gerhardt was better today but is out of contract at seasons end and has been a liability all season. Vrankovic is a young Socceroo. This kid needs to see senior minutes to develop.

That's it for the starting line up. You still have Wielart, Kewell, Murdocca, Behich, Kalmar etc in the side. Just adding more youth along with Mauk. Migliorini is off next week I think so Retre the obvious bench replacement and Schroen deserves a go.

I'm not sure why this philosophy is looked down on. We aren't making the finals. No matter what our club says.

• Like 2

As this thread shows, this match can be interpreted in so many different ways.

But one thing is certain. If Aloisi was still coaching, we would have lost and the performance would have been awful. We would have played long balls all game and confidence would have been rock bottom with the whole team.

I'd still say confidence is low (understandably! given how long we were winless under JA), and I think that's why the team looked a bit lethargic. IMO the team is pretty fit (or at least, Heart is probably fitter than it's been in previous seasons). Besides low confidence, the other key reason I think Heart looked a little slow is that so few of our players know how to play a possession game, given the year and a half of hoofball that JA instilled into the team.

But I think things are steadily turning around. Murdocca said post-match that today's game was the most fun he's had whilst playing for Heart. As Mass said, it was very enjoyable to actually play football again. And as JVS will make Heart play football every match, I reckon confidence is bound to improve and the results will come.

This is not a great start to the post-Aloisi period, but it's a good start. A draw against the Mariners away (who we've only ever beaten once!) is nothing to sneeze at. I agree the squad was probably overrated, but I still firmly believe that this isn't a wooden spoon squad.

We'll get a better sense of where things are heading under JVS over the next 2 matches, but I'd take Heart under JVS over Heart under JA any day of the week.

Agree Murf, I think this match is a huge indictment on Aloisi's tenure. When you boil it down the only change was a possession game with the ball on the deck with Kalmar reliably being asked to drop back and perform as a link man, and greater pressing and pressure. Why this was never tried in our 18 game winless run to me just defies belief. I can see the shoots of change. And Mass at the end summed it up perfectly - "the funnest (sic) game in ages"!! A huge indictment of his recent coach from a senior player.

The fitness issue I'm not worried about and is understandable. Possession games require constant movement and presenting, and pressing requires greater effort. When the ball is hoofed over midfield for a whole game, you don't need to work as hard. This will take time to adapt to, as indeed will the mentality of needing to present and where to run. Incredible we're saying this about professional footballers, but it just indicates how deep the hole is we need to crawl out of.

I know some people are pissed we didn't get a result and break the duck, but I'm overall a happier Heart fan. I think we are starting from so far back from the pack with so many issues, that even a sense of change and trying something new is a small step on the road back. After watching the ship sail off course for so long, any correction is appreciated. As I've said before, I wouldn't be upset if the club openly acknowledged the season is gone, we're rebuilding, and we're trying the kids. Talk of finals is just embarrassing. We're lucky we're in a league where relegation doesn't exist, so drop the results pressure and start again. JA's "legacy" will take a while to fix.

And can we beg, borrow or steal someone who can finish in front of goal?? It's beyond a joke now.

• Like 1

A much better away draw than the one we had against WSW. Actually looked threatening but still can't finish for shit (fucking misspud!)

It was just nice to see such a drastic change in play from JA to JVS. Just the care with the ball was a lot better. Even fucking long ball gerdhart was making an effort to retain the ball and look for the short pass.

While i also agree this game is nothing to lose out shit over, it was the best brand of football we have played this season, and a brand which will at least allow us to remain competitive throughout the rest of the season.

Williams, Misfud and Ramsey out for the next game.