Melbourne Football

CCM vs Heart on the 5/1/13 at 5:00pm at Bluetongue Stadium

cadete

Too many youth on at the same time risks the team getting blown out of the water. They're not used to this pace yet, and their intensity isn't at A-League level. 

You just can't go 'oh, JvS has a youth philosophy, better give ALL the kids game time'.

Not what I'm saying at all.

I want to focus on next year and beyond. Ramsay was and has been shit all season. What will we lose in our pposition if Garrucio comes into the team instead of him?

Gerhardt was better today but is out of contract at seasons end and has been a liability all season. Vrankovic is a young Socceroo. This kid needs to see senior minutes to develop.

That's it for the starting line up. You still have Wielart, Kewell, Murdocca, Behich, Kalmar etc in the side. Just adding more youth along with Mauk. Migliorini is off next week I think so Retre the obvious bench replacement and Schroen deserves a go.

I'm not sure why this philosophy is looked down on. We aren't making the finals. No matter what our club says.

Don't forget Ramsay was originally recruited for LB not the wing but then Aziz unexpectedly returned. They should be competing for the same position

Just a pass. The boys had a crack, but it's about consistent effort, week-in/week-out. Not more false dawns.

Realistically, a point means little if we don't take something home from Perth as well. I wonder if some of the personnel decisions and non-decisions were made with the trip across the Nullabor and five-day turnaround in mind. Players like Kisnorbo and Migliorini have seen little-to-no action over the past three weeks and should probably get a start against the Glory. I'm far from convinced with Migliorini, but seriously, Ramsay has barely shown a thing since he joined the club. A professional being afraid to shoot from that distance with his opposite foot (or shooting it and putting it four metres high) is practically a cry for help. Hoffman really solid again and Gerhardt rewarded the faith. Kudos to Redmayne for putting his body on the line, though he wasn't really called to make an actual save otherwise. Behich with some terribly lazy work in the second half nearly cost us...I get a bit tired of his wounded warrior routine as well, if he's limping around, get him the hell off the pitch.

The endeavour is there with Mifsud (and he had a solid second half), but it's about six weeks beyond '...the endeavour is there...' platitudes for him. It's not the ideal set-up, without an Engelaar type to work off, but he's had more than enough opportunities. He needs to put it in the net, end of story. He should have seven goals against his name by this stage of the season, as an absolute minimum. And how many more points would that be for us? He's about a Kewell-esque penalty away from missing in every conceivable way this season.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

This game was a solid start in the rigfht direction really, yet was just an alwful thing to watch at the same time. Atleast we tried to play football, unlike CCM.

Yes, CCM were useless and seemed to miss the memo that a match was underway, but we still passed the ball around cleanly for the first time in a long time. Over 450 completed passes vs struggling to hit 200 in previous weeks indicates a calmer and more possession based style. No CCM pressure helped in that regard, and this passing from back to back is painful, but still happy to see some kind of possession mentality.

JVS won't work miracles overnight, but we can only hope he plays some youth and continues to get players to pass and move, not stop and look and then pass, then stop again. Need some energy, and confidence will help build that.

The big question is what he will do when Engelaar starts to play again. What systems will he use, and which players will fit into positions to help maximise his value?

On the youth policy topic, I think it is important we try to implement it, as long as it isn't to the detriment of results.

Yes, I know it is a different sport, but Melbourne (AFL) worked off the theory that by throwing a whole heap of youth in the one team, they'll develop fine and the club will reap rewards in the long run. Obviously not the case.

The best, and most proven method, is to have a good spread of age groups throughout the squad. We don't have it, and we haven't since our inception. We've always had a serious lack of blokes in the 25-28 age bracket, the age where they've had enough experience in professional football, but are still physically in their prime. We've either gone way too young, or, as it currently is, way too old.

• Like 2

On the youth policy topic, I think it is important we try to implement it, as long as it isn't to the detriment of results.

Yes, I know it is a different sport, but Melbourne (AFL) worked off the theory that by throwing a whole heap of youth in the one team, they'll develop fine and the club will reap rewards in the long run. Obviously not the case.

The best, and most proven method, is to have a good spread of age groups throughout the squad. We don't have it, and we haven't since our inception. We've always had a serious lack of blokes in the 25-28 age bracket, the age where they've had enough experience in professional football, but are still physically in their prime. We've either gone way too young, or, as it currently is, way too old.

True that. We need the right mix.

The biggest thing we need to look at is to get the right coach next season and really ask if JD the right man for the job if he has been in his role throughout the history of our club? Its been under his watch that the squad issues have been apparent.

We need some decent visa players who are in that 25-28 range, with creativity and flair, and at that age young enough to hopefully stay fit and run out a match.

The biggest thing we need to look at is to get the right coach next season and really ask if JD the right man for the job if he has been in his role throughout the history of our club? Its been under his watch that the squad issues have been apparent.

We need some decent visa players who are in that 25-28 range, with creativity and flair, and at that age young enough to hopefully stay fit and run out a match.

This is exactly why I question how quality JD is at his job. Seems to slip under the radar, as far as scrutiny goes.

The problem is the most decent visa players between that age range are earning too much money for us to afford to bring over hear without breaking the bank.

Would people on here be happy re-signing Orlando if he looks the goods in the last third of the season? Than maybe we just surround him with youth with some Germanoesq visa type players+youth.?

The problem is the most decent visa players between that age range are earning too much money for us to afford to bring over hear without breaking the bank.

Would people on here be happy re-signing Orlando if he looks the goods in the last third of the season? Than maybe we just surround him with youth with some Germanoesq visa type players+youth.?

Those players can be found (ie. Broich) but yes it is luck really.

As for Engelaar, I will wait and see before I make judgement on that one. If he does deliver to what many expect, its onlty fair he gets another contract, but it will rely on the new owners if they come on board.

The new owners may well have a view of investing good money in a marquee that is younger, who will offer more potential over a few seasons to build a team around. We will see.

Berisha, Broich, Carrusca, Cirio. All guys who are of a good age, all guys who wouldn't have been worth too much $$$, and obviously are all guys who will win you games. These types of players are very available, just have to know where to look.

We need some decent visa players who are in that 25-28 range, with creativity and flair, and at that age young enough to hopefully stay fit and run out a match. The problem is the most decent visa players between that age range are earning too much money for us to afford to bring over hear without breaking the bank.

Berisha, Broich, Carrusca, Cirio. All guys who are of a good age, all guys who wouldn't have been worth too much $$$, and obviously are all guys who will win you games. These types of players are very available, just have to know where to look.

Certainly is a good list.

We need a coach with good connections, not like JA and his Golden Generation friends club, who unfortunately are not of the right age these days.

We need some decent visa players who are in that 25-28 range, with creativity and flair, and at that age young enough to hopefully stay fit and run out a match. The problem is the most decent visa players between that age range are earning too much money for us to afford to bring over hear without breaking the bank.

Certainly is a good list.

We need a coach with good connections, not like JA and his Golden Generation friends club, who unfortunately are not of the right age these days.

JA seemingly doesn't even have friends that are directly involved in Football anymore, most of them are in the media. He couldn't even bring anyone to help him behind the scenes.

You look at JVS for example, he gets the job here and he's already getting offers from former footballers (Sibon and Vayrynen) to help him out if need be. That's just a very small example. When you look at JA though, who's he really got that can come in and help him out?

A coach that can not only rely on connections he has with current players but those he has with backroom staff too would be ideal.

Edited by King Malta

I think it's a bit overly mean but damn it's funny:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/05/a-league-what-we-learned-in-round-13

Why even bother?

Well, that was depressing. Tepid atmosphere, listless football, no goals. Sunday afternoon's 0-0 draw between Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne Heart pipped Newcastle v Perth as the worst match of the round. Missing their two most creative players Michael McGlinchey and Marcos Flores, the defending champions struggled to keep the ball and create chances against the bottom placed Heart. Not that Heart were playing much better, however. The best thing you can say about them was that they were kind of like Brisbane Roar, but in slow motion and with all the good bits taken out. Many were hoping for the 'dead cat bounce' effect as players tried to impress incoming coach John van 't Schip, but it was more 'life-support-Heart-are-hooked-on-the-drip' from the visitors.

The first half, at least, was abysmal. Central Coast Mariners offered little going forward; there were the customary Michael Mifsud misses – the first one the worst – and the play soon resembled that Simpsons episode where the defenders pass the ball casually between each other with no intention of going forward. "Holds it... holds it... holds it." Happily, unlike the Simpsons, the boredom didn't lead to a soccer riot for Rebecca Wilson and the Daily Telegraph to get excited about, although you wouldn't have blamed the spectators for getting a little impatient. The second half continued the stream of unforced errors, while Josh Rose had his very own 'Mifsud' just after the hour mark. In an effort to liven up the miserable scenario, Van 't Schip and Phil Moss brought on strikers David Williams and Matt Simon, and for the first time ever, viewers were actually looking forward to the B-League – Fox Sports' terrible post-game show. As boos rang around Bluetongue Stadium after the final whistle, the seagulls at Heart's home ground, AAMI Park, threw themselves in front of trams, and Van 't Schip must have thought “what have I gotten myself into?”

• Like 3

not sure if we played well or CCM played bad because of injuries.

its probably a combination of both, but as long we start playing teams out of form rather than into it. 

btw, a class CF (or an in form MIfsud) is the difference between 1-0 and 0-0, in a game like today's. 

its probably a combination of both, but as long we start playing teams out of form rather than into it. 

btw, a class CF (or an in form MIfsud) is the difference between 1-0 and 0-0, in a game like today's. 

Try 2 or 3-0

I think it's a bit overly mean but damn it's funny:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/05/a-league-what-we-learned-in-round-13

Why even bother?

Well, that was depressing. Tepid atmosphere, listless football, no goals. Sunday afternoon's 0-0 draw between Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne Heart pipped Newcastle v Perth as the worst match of the round. Missing their two most creative players Michael McGlinchey and Marcos Flores, the defending champions struggled to keep the ball and create chances against the bottom placed Heart. Not that Heart were playing much better, however. The best thing you can say about them was that they were kind of like Brisbane Roar, but in slow motion and with all the good bits taken out. Many were hoping for the 'dead cat bounce' effect as players tried to impress incoming coach John van 't Schip, but it was more 'life-support-Heart-are-hooked-on-the-drip' from the visitors.

The first half, at least, was abysmal. Central Coast Mariners offered little going forward; there were the customary Michael Mifsud misses – the first one the worst – and the play soon resembled that Simpsons episode where the defenders pass the ball casually between each other with no intention of going forward. "Holds it... holds it... holds it." Happily, unlike the Simpsons, the boredom didn't lead to a soccer riot for Rebecca Wilson and the Daily Telegraph to get excited about, although you wouldn't have blamed the spectators for getting a little impatient. The second half continued the stream of unforced errors, while Josh Rose had his very own 'Mifsud' just after the hour mark. In an effort to liven up the miserable scenario, Van 't Schip and Phil Moss brought on strikers David Williams and Matt Simon, and for the first time ever, viewers were actually looking forward to the B-League – Fox Sports' terrible post-game show. As boos rang around Bluetongue Stadium after the final whistle, the seagulls at Heart's home ground, AAMI Park, threw themselves in front of trams, and Van 't Schip must have thought “what have I gotten myself into?”

Spot on. How rubbish is CCM becoming under Moss? Is he the new JA? Edited by HEARTinator

Try 2 or 3-0

Well i guess so....

But the fact remains that whether its 1-0 or 5-0 its 3 points instead of 1.

Well I thought that was an improved game by the team. But first a word about CCM - they came to park the bus and try and steal a win on the counter and it almost worked. Heart were able to prise open the CCM bus twice and fluffed it. CCM were able to counter attack twice and they fluffed it.

For me this was Gerhardt's best game this season and justified him being in the starting line up. Loved the way how in the second half he took on two CCM midfielders to deliver the ball forward. Wiealart was OK. Behich is not the same player that he was when he left for Turkey and he needs to regain his form quickly. Hoffman was OK in that he didn't screw up too many times (only once from recollection) but there were times that he could have created more by going forward because he had the space in front of him but instead passed back. The midfield was good - even Kalmar was creative at stages. The attacking needs big improvement and I have no idea how that can be achieved. Ramsay should be dropped on yesterday's performance. Mifsud has the same old story: massive engine, puts pressure on opposition players, runs into space, but misses the shots and can often be offside (although to be fair to him the replay showed that on two occassions he was onside). Dugandzic was able to run down the wings but did not threaten the GK. Williams came on and provided something but was unable to break the bus - I actually thought that after he came on, CCM became even more defensive.

After the last three weeks, yesterday's game was a breather. most players would have gotten something positive out of it. Next week is PG over in Perth at 6:45pm WAST (9:45pm AEST) so I am not sure how they will cope with the heat. In the past they been woeful.

One final point is that people are saying that the team lacked fitness. This was one my criticisms of JA last season and this season. JA just did not believe that the players were unfit. This part of his legacy will be nigh on impossible to overcome this season. For that you need the pre-season and I hope that JvS puts in place something for the new coach to continue so that the level of fitness is improved next season. I remain hopeful that one day the team can run out a game.

I think clearly Behich needs to be dropped. 

I love the guy, and love his endeavour, his attacking instincts, his run, his passion, his willingness to take them on etc but sadly almost none of those attributes have been on display this season. As shown last week against Wellington and yesterday to CCM he is capable of making bad defensive blunders that can cost us goals and as he will not be playing for us next season I think it's time to find out if there is a replacement within the squad or if we have to look externally. 

ATM we have 3 potential candidates for the position:

-Mitchinson: Played there last season and acquitted himself well enough to earn a senior contract despite being a natural CB. Hasn't been played at all this season though and probably needs a chance at the very least for his own self belief, as I'm sure like Walker his confidence has plummeted after being frozen out of the first team for all season by Aloisi.

-Petreski: I haven't seen him play but I know some rate him highly and he is a full back. If his form in the youth leagues warrants it why not?

-Ramsay: Brought to the club for this exact role, and has certainly not shone on the left wing. He is contracted for next year so do we have anything to lose by trying to make a player out of him?

It's also apparent to me that Aloisi has clearly drained the entire club of confidence and self belief, not just the first team. I think this will be one of JVS's biggest challenges in that by the end of the season I want to see everyone, particularly the young players, believing that they belong at an A-League club and that they can turn it around. Seeing the complete deterioration in form and confidence of players like Walker is depressing and I will be very angry if our club is the club that kills promising careers, especially with our supposed (and lately bullshit) youth development philosophy.

• Like 2

We might not make the finals this season, but the good thing about all this is that Heart is now 12months ahead of Central Coast, Victory and Perth who have all had their understudy take over as coach (and are going down-hill) and we're about 15months ahead of Sydney and Newcastle who will probably both dump their coach at the end of the season (if not sooner). The jury is still out with Merrick at Wellington; he'll probably survive another season.

The only teams ahead of us are: Brisbane, WSW and Adelaide who all have decent coaches who know how to get the best out of their players in the right formation.

Now JD, SM and Co. need to make a bloody good, educated and calculated decision on who will take over from JvS next season. It might even be worth bringing someone in now to work beside JvS before taking over the reigns solely next season.

• Like 1

We might not make the finals this season, but the good thing about all this is that Heart is now 12months ahead of Central Coast, Victory and Perth who have all had their understudy take over as coach (and are going down-hill) and we're about 15months ahead of Sydney and Newcastle who will probably both dump their coach at the end of the season (if not sooner). The jury is still out with Merrick at Wellington; he'll probably survive another season.

The only teams ahead of us are: Brisbane, WSW and Adelaide who all have decent coaches who know how to get the best out of their players in the right formation.

Now JD, SM and Co. need to make a bloody good, educated and calculated decision on who will take over from JvS next season. It might even be worth bringing someone in now to work beside JvS before taking over the reigns solely next season.

I think that a realistic aim would be to finish 8th, that in itself would need a fantastic reversal in our form or the form of the teams above us. It really does take the pressure off us, we are most likely to get the wooden spoon but we can start building for next season and still put in good performances. It would be ironic but not surprising if we were the form team of the competition towards the end of the season but still 10th.

Yes, CCM were without a couple of their players but let's look at the positives.

A week ago we would have guaranteed a loss. JVS has only had the lads for 2 days and we got a draw against CCM at their home ground. There also seems to be a more comfortable and positive feel in the club, with the players and with the supporters (I am certainly more excited). Now all we need is some decent forwards who can take the chances they are offered. The match next week against Perth will show us better what our immediate future is going to look like.

• Like 2

I think that a realistic aim would be to finish 8th, that in itself would need a fantastic reversal in our form or the form of the teams above us. It really does take the pressure off us, we are most likely to get the wooden spoon but we can start building for next season and still put in good performances. It would be ironic but not surprising if we were the form team of the competition towards the end of the season but still 10th.

I'd personally go for 'top six from now until the end of the season'. That way, at least it's completely in the team's hands how well they do; they're not relying on other results to move up the actual table.

I think Ramsey is the player who had his confidence drained the most under JA. At his best he can take on players, get behind the last line and pull of top quality shots. Right now is not even close to that. I think JA just told him to use his pace and he isn't that fast. He should be using his skills.

• Like 1

I think Ramsey is the player who had his confidence drained the most under JA. At his best he can take on players, get behind the last line and pull of top quality shots. Right now is not even close to that. I think JA just told him to use his pace and he isn't that fast. He should be using his skills.

He is fast.... has a weird running action though haha

I think all players lost confidence under JA and it will probably take a couple of weeks under JVS to get them going again. 

He is fast.... has a weird running action though haha

I think all players lost confidence under JA and it will probably take a couple of weeks under JVS to get them going again. 

I have see him get run down but all sorts of players this year. He is quick, especially of 10-20 meters but he is not going to blaze past people in this league.

I thought it was pretty much consensus on here that the only player who might be said to have improved during the Aloisi Era is Jason Hoffman. And that might be just because he has stayed the same old Hoff while everyone else has deteriorated, or maybe the change in position has done him good.

IMO everyone else has gone out the back door. Not just Mifsud, or Ramsay, or Williams...it's anyone else in the squad you care to name. JA has not only wrecked his own potential coaching career, he could well have ended several professional football careers.

• Like 2

Didn't read that last page so forgive me if I repeat, but you might recall that CCM had another 'uncharacteristic bad game' against Heart last time in the 2-2. And they looked out of sorts again for this 0-0. Credit where credit due. The heart boys really seem to stunt CCM. Its the finishing that is the silent killer.

I thought it was pretty much consensus on here that the only player who might be said to have improved during the Aloisi Era is Jason Hoffman. And that might be just because he has stayed the same old Hoff while everyone else has deteriorated, or maybe the change in position has done him good.

IMO everyone else has gone out the back door. Not just Mifsud, or Ramsay, or Williams...it's anyone else in the squad you care to name. JA has not only wrecked his own potential coaching career, he could well have ended several professional football careers.

That is the consensus.  I think Ramsay has suffered the most, to the point where(as you say) he may not come back.

That is the consensus.  I think Ramsay has suffered the most, to the point where(as you say) he may not come back.

Ramsays overrated anyway IMO. I remember i spoke to an Adelaide supporter at Crown once who was incredibly happy to not see him in an Adelaide uniform anymore.

The bloke said he has no football iq whatsoever, and basically was a shitter aziz.

The first half an hour I was filled with confidence, enjoying the new Heart. After Mifsud celebrating hitting the post instead of following up and putting in a sitter and being caught offside far too many times, I watched the second half seeing just how much work needs to be done to get our boys playing well again.

Mauk looked like the option JA was complaining he didn't have. I was very impressed with him.

I think we will see quite a bit of improvement over the next few weeks. It will take some time, but I believe it will come.

Huh? I've always enjoyed Ramsay, but he's an out and out left winger, that's it. If we keep playing every player brought in out of position then yes, they'll be rubbish.

thoroughly agree; the guy is an out and out left winger, and sadly that was never gonna work under Aloisi.  

As this thread shows, this match can be interpreted in so many different ways.

But one thing is certain. If Aloisi was still coaching, we would have lost and the performance would have been awful. We would have played long balls all game and confidence would have been rock bottom with the whole team.

I'd still say confidence is low (understandably! given how long we were winless under JA), and I think that's why the team looked a bit lethargic. IMO the team is pretty fit (or at least, Heart is probably fitter than it's been in previous seasons). Besides low confidence, the other key reason I think Heart looked a little slow is that so few of our players know how to play a possession game, given the year and a half of hoofball that JA instilled into the team.

But I think things are steadily turning around. Murdocca said post-match that today's game was the most fun he's had whilst playing for Heart. As Mass said, it was very enjoyable to actually play football again. And as JVS will make Heart play football every match, I reckon confidence is bound to improve and the results will come.

This is not a great start to the post-Aloisi period, but it's a good start. A draw against the Mariners away (who we've only ever beaten once!) is nothing to sneeze at. I agree the squad was probably overrated, but I still firmly believe that this isn't a wooden spoon squad.

We'll get a better sense of where things are heading under JVS over the next 2 matches, but I'd take Heart under JVS over Heart under JA any day of the week.

Murfy, that is absolutely spot on.

after reading a number of pages in this thread it seems that people are just looking for the negatives.

frankly, that is the best we've played in a long time.  i'm not saying its the best we ever have - honestly we know there is a fair bit left to grow given how shit we've been this season.

but Murfy hit the nail on the head; the interview with Murdocca post game said what was evident with most players - they actually had fun for once.

something that was ingrained into my mind at the end of the game was that some players (most notably Kewell) actually looked shitty that we didnt win!!

at what stage under Aloisi was that possible - particularly since this was on the road?

JvS looks to have the players feeling more positive.

at this stage, at least in my mind, it is all about small steps.  getting the players to play with confidence, actually having a feasible game plan, etc.

as a side discussion, the lack of fitness towards the end looked to come from the steady pressing the boys employed first half.  TBH i'm not surprised at any lack of fitness; with the amount of bullshit that went on with Aloisi i'd imagine he didnt know how to develop and maintain decent fitness levels in a squad.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3

The post-match press conference:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/VIDEO-vant-Schip-pleased-with-effort-and-energy/82426

- JVS said he wants Heart to 'dominate' in every game, so it sounds like we'll play positive football in every match, rather than playing not to lose each game like JA did.

- Said this about Engelaar: 'Orlando Engelaar is coming back from injury and hopefully he can be involved in the team in one or two weeks so that will make us as a team stronger and we have to take it from there'

- When asked about young players, he said he's tracking Vrankovic and Garuccio. But he stressed he won't play youth for the sake of it.

Edited by Murfy1