Melbourne Football

CCM vs Heart on the 5/1/13 at 5:00pm at Bluetongue Stadium

cadete

A-League football: John van't Schip isn't overlooking anyone as he takes stock of Heart

Michael Lynch   The Age   January 5 2014

After taking the first session in his second coming as coach of Melbourne Heart on Friday, John van't Schip could be seen in earnest discussion with two of the squad's youngest players, Ben Garuccio and David Vrankovic.

Neither have figured in any meaningful way this season for the beleaguered club save to make up the numbers in training games.

Van't Schip's lengthy conversation with the duo does not mean they will come back into the reckoning, either against the Mariners on Sunday or for the trip to Perth the following week. But it shows that the Dutchman will be true to his word and treat everyone with a clean slate as he looks to drag the club from the wreckage of its horror season and evaluate the worth of the playing stock for what will surely be a rebuild when new owners take over, probably in mid to late January.

Van't Schip did not hesitate to use then 18-year-old centre half Curtis Good and teenage frontman Eli Babalj in his first stint with the club, and would have no qualms about using Garuccio, Vrankovic or other youngsters on the Heart roster if he felt they could do a job.

Van't Schip also needs to get some more out of his senior players, especially club captain Harry Kewell, whose return to the A-League has been marred by injury.

''We have a plan [with him],'' van't Schip said after Friday's session. ''We sat together this morning with the staff. We have to see how he feels this week and right now he's feeling OK but then playing 90 minutes is something different … he's still an important player and we have to manage his fitness very well.''

The coach will look forward to being able to add former Holland international Orlando Engelaar to his squad. The tall, holding midfielder broke his leg in a pre-season game but could be ready for at least the final third of the season.

''Hopefully Orlando can be ready very soon. He can be very important, so I am looking forward to see him back in the team as well.''

Van't Schip believes the standard now, in Heart's fifth season, is better than when he took them to the finals in their second campaign before he moved to Mexico to coach.

''I think a lot more football is being played, ball-on-the-ground football,'' he said. ''We have seen that growing in the last few years.''

Van't Schip is an interim coach, and that is all he will commit to at this point. ''[in] football, as we know, you can't say what's going to happen the next day.''

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-football-john-vant-schip-isnt-overlooking-anyone-as-he-takes-stock-of-heart-20140104-30asb.html?

Edited by Murfy1

Jason Hoffman hopes to secure his spot in Melbourne Heart's side by emulating Aziz Behich

David Davutovic   Herald Sun   January 4, 2014

JASON Hoffman hopes to secure his place in the Melbourne Heart team by emulating fellow full-back Aziz Behich and adding an attacking dimension to his game.

Having been transformed from attacker to right-back by former coach John Aloisi, Hoffman has been a rare shining light in a barren season as Heart aims to claim its first win of the season against Central Coast at Bluetongue Stadium today.

A fringe player in John van't Schip's two years at Heart where he made eight starts and 19 substitute appearances, Hoffman will today start his eighth game of this season with injury preventing him from starting the other five.

"JA and Foxey (former assistant Hayden Foxe) mentioned the right-back move a while and they pushed me and I've thoroughly enjoyed the change,'' Hoffman said.

"Under JVS I was seen more as a final third player but I've enjoyed the change and hopefully I can build on it.

"I feel like I've finally settled into role and I'm doing my defensive duties well and hopefully I can offer more going forward and look at following someone like Aziz (Behich).

"He showed when he got forward that he can be a real attacking threat, and if I can get to that level then I'm really excited about what I can achieve for the team.''

As one of three remaining foundation players, Hoffman said he sympathised with Aloisi who was also there on day one, but said the players were focused on resurrecting their ailing season.

"It's never nice to see good people leave the club, I've been here from day one like JA and this club has a place in my heart,'' he said.

"It's sad but as a group we need to move forward. The biggest thing with JVS is that he's a good person to have around the club, he's positive and he's tried to get some enjoyment back and put smiles back on players' faces.

"It would be foolish yes we'll say we'll make the finals 100 per cent, it's important that we play good football and hopefully come back from Central Coast with three points and the build confidence week by week as Wellington has showed in the last three weeks.

"But the belief within the group and the coaching staff is that we want to make finals.''

The Mariners will be without midfielder Marcos Flores, who requires a knee reconstruction, although they will look to send off gun Kiwi Michael McGlinchey in style before he joins Graham Arnold's Velgata Sendai on loan.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/jason-hoffman-hopes-to-secure-his-spot-in-melbourne-hearts-side-by-emulating-aziz-behich/story-e6frf7jo-1226794962721

Edited by Murfy1

I'd be happy if we can squeeze a draw out of this one. More than anything JvS is faced with the task of rebuilding morale at the club and so much damage has been done in the JA era that he is faced with a monumental task. Individual players are performing well below their potential, and the team as a whole has been playing an unrewarding style of football for so long - all this has to change. There is a mountain to climb.

I'm not expecting too much too quickly.

Maybe....

Kewell  Mifsud  

Ramsay      Kalmar     Dugandzic

Murdocca 

Behich  Wielaert Gerhardt  Hoffman

Redmayne

I think the changes are fine. Kisnorbo hasn't been too good lately, so I'm fine with Gerhardt getting a run. Good to see Williams not starting, although I wish Garuccio was at least in the matchday squad. Hopefully a week out of the matchday squad motivates Golgol to fulfil more of his potential. And I'm real pleased to see Mauk on the bench. I hope he plays for 20 to 30 minutes.

More important than the personnel is how JVS gets them to play. Hopefully JVS can get rid of the terrible tactics and habits that Aloisi put into the team.

Edited by Murfy1