Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

3 hours ago, Cityscape said:

As I've said before, why upgrade Bruno?

He's got another year to run on his 175k deal, let's get a marquee in to fill AAMI.

To be fair, the guy has put the club on the map, along with Mooy. He is currently the all time highest A-league scorer in a season. I would upgrade him definitely and keep him with the club for a few seasons. He might agree to non-marquee wages next season but maybe on a promise that if he puts in similar to this season he would be upgraded to marquee status. Anyway, just guessing but he is too good to lose and is becoming a cult hero at our club. We need (to keep) more players like this.

Just some points:
The key to the marquee situation will be whether Aaron Mooy goes or stays. If he goes than there will be room to elevate Fornaroli into a marquee position and still sign a crack no. 10 visa player. However if Mooy stays (and he's on a 3-year contract) then that's not possible and I'd say it would be difficult to fit Wilkinson and Fornaroli both under the cap.
IMO the "Lampard Rule" will prevent loan players coming for a full season, so if either Brattan or Caceres is being considered then we would have to sign them rather than them being a loan player.
I can't see the point of releasing Trifiro and re-signing Germano.
I'm not sure that both Marino and Dekker will be retained.
Although he's on a 3-year contract the club might look at trying to move Franjic on.

14 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

The main reason to upgrade Bruno would be to tie him down to a longer term contract, so he's signed up for another year or two beyond next season. Also he certainly deserves to be upgraded, and really CFG should be able to bring in some new quality inside the salary cap to fill Bruno's vacated cap space.

A few points on next season

Sad to say that Mooy will almost certainly leave. Contract clauses with buyout options kick-in at the end of the season, and he will go off to Europe. A silver lining IMO is that it will force CFG’s hand to bring in undisputable quality to replace Mooy. Maybe a big name marquee, which would also certainly put bums on seats. If CFG let Mooy pursue his goal to play in Europe and then replace him with another Robert Koren, they may as well not sell memberships next season.

Signed for next season:

GK: Sorensen

DEF: Chapman, Franjic, Clisby, Garuccio

MID: Malik, Melling, Retre

ATT: Fornaroli, Novillo, Gameiro, Kuzmanovski

As for out of contract players:

Bouzanis. If they club can’t get a superior choice who could be a respectable no. 1 in he A-League in 2017-18 (as Sorensen will probably retire after next season), keep.

Kisnorbo. Keep. Maybe can still fight for a starting spot next season, or at very least a quality backup. Would probably be on low wages next season. Also a highly respected player, and someone who actually plays for the shirt.

Zullo. If he stays fit and keeps performing, definitely keep. There aren’t any better Australian LBs available.

Wilkinson. Definitely keep.

Trifiro. Release. Better midfield squaddies out there IMO.

Caceres. Was really hoping he’d work out. We’ll need some Australian quality in midfield next season. Unless he improves significantly and starts effecting the outcomes of games, release.

Brown. Release.

Marino. Keep. On low wages. The club must have 3 players aged 20 or under, and Marino and Kuzi fit the bill

Dekker. Keep. On low wages.

Fitzgerald. Definitely keep.

So 19 players for next season. 17 spots filled, assuming that Melling and Marino continue to occupy 2 of the 3 youth-aged players which count outside of the playing roster & salary cap.

A possible lineup for next season:

Sorensen

Franjic  Wilkinson Kisnorbo Zullo

Malik

?                 ?

Gameiro       Fornaroli       Novillo

Bench: Bouzanis, Chapman, Melling, Fitzgerald,     ?

Omitted: Clisby, Retre, Dekker, Marino, Garuccio, Kuzmanovski

Possible new signings for next season:

* A marquee no 10 Visa player. Surely CFG could come up with an exciting signing that fits the bill

* Luke Brattan? Started on the Man City EDS bench yesterday. Surely his situation in Europe isn't long-term, and he could be a quality option to take up one of our midfield positions next season, alongside Malik and hopefully a marquee no 10

* Out of contract A-League players: Devante Clut, Steven Lustica, James Donachie, Guilherme Finkler, Mark Birighitti, Andreu, Romeo Castelen. The best targets IMO being Birighitti (sign him in place of Bouzanis; he could be the no. 1 in 2017-18), Clut and Lustica.

* A new Visa attacker, preferably a RW.

* Jonatan Germano: A squaddie I'd prefer over Trifiro. As long as he stays fit and keeps playing for his NPL club, have Germano be a train-on during the next pre-season, and if he stays fit and shows he can continue to be useful at A-League level, sign him up. He's now Australian, and he could be signed for minimum to low wages. IMHO this club really needs more players like Kisnorbo and Germano that just really want to play for the shirt.

Nearly every season this club has signed 10 or more new players, and effectively tried to rebuild the squad. Hopefully next season the club only needs to bring in 5 or 6 new players, a few into the starting XI and a few depth players, and doesn't need to do another big rebuild with 10 or more signings again.

I have to disagree on a few things with you Murfy

First of all if we resign Paddy it should be as a squad player at the minimum salary. Maybe offer him a part time coaching role which could supplement his salary.

Secondly, if we keep Zullo, it should be as a winger rather than a left back. He is much better there IMO

Thirdly, Germano has gone. Leave the past in the past and move on.

I would also be asking Aaron if he would be better moving abroad, rather than staying. Of course everyone wants to play at the highest possible level he can. However, what level is that? I don't see him being able to play in the EPL. Possibly in the Championship in England. A good chance in the SPL Premiership.

It's easy for me to say, but if I was him I would stay put. he is playing for the national team, and at a club were the fans adore him. I don't hink he can be as successful elsewhere than he would be with us. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, silva10 said:

First of all if we resign Paddy it should be as a squad player at the minimum salary. Maybe offer him a part time coaching role which could supplement his salary.

Secondly, if we keep Zullo, it should be as a winger rather than a left back. He is much better there IMO

I would also be asking Aaron if he would be better moving abroad, rather than staying. Of course everyone wants to play at the highest possible level he can. However, what level is that? I don't see him being able to play in the EPL. Possibly in the Championship in England. A good chance in the SPL Premiership.

It's easy for me to say, but if I was him I would stay put. he is playing for the national team, and at a club were the fans adore him. I don't hink he can be as successful elsewhere than he would be with us. Just my opinion.

Silva, do you think that Mooy can improve in a better league? And by that I am referring to EPL, Championship, La Liga, Serie A/B, Bundesliga 1/2, Dutch or Belgium.

I can see why some younger players would improve but Mooy being in his mid 20s I don't know.

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Silva, do you think that Mooy can improve in a better league? And by that I am referring to EPL, Championship, La Liga, Serie A/B, Bundesliga 1/2, Dutch or Belgium.

I can see why some younger players would improve but Mooy being in his mid 20s I don't know.

Personally I think he would be more suited  by the Dutch or Belgian leagues were it is less physical and more about technique.

He definitely has quality and you would hope he can be successful in Europe.

However, what is the barometer for success in Europe? I believe he is in a good moment with us, and would really wonder if he can achieve better success elsewhere. I suppose it will all come down to how he regards success. Although, you can't blame him for trying to play at a higher level.

• Like 1

I think Mooy is actually quite strong in the challenge and would succeed in plenty of leagues. He has a massive engine as well and quality delivery. I'd like to see him have a tilt in Germany, France or Holland. All three leagues seem to have a good mix of technique and talent. I believe the one thing that is different with Mooy and lot of these other kids is he isn't a prima donna. He is a hard worker with undoubted talent. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I think Mooy is actually quite strong in the challenge and would succeed in plenty of leagues. He has a massive engine as well and quality delivery. I'd like to see him have a tilt in Germany, France or Holland. All three leagues seem to have a good mix of technique and talent. I believe the one thing that is different with Mooy and lot of these other kids is he isn't a prima donna. He is a hard worker with undoubted talent. 

I wouldn't disagree with that. However, it is a bigger challenge to play in Germany and France, mainly because of the language. I believe this is important when choosing which country you want to play in.

18 hours ago, Luke said:

I didn't say 900k should be the limit for marque spending. If clubs want to sign marquees there's currently nothing saying they can't spend millions if they want too.

My point is how do you take the game to another level and bring in quality to A: generate more interest and B: improve the standard of the A-League and also our up and coming younger players.

My suggestion is to have 3 Marquees paid out of the cap and clubs can spend what they want (within reason) which will be paid for by the FFA/TV/Sponsors. Plus you can have an Australian/Asain Marquee and also and under 23 Australian Marquee.

7 hours ago, silva10 said:

I'd agree about Paddy and partially agree about Mooy.

Whether Kisnorbo is re-signed on low wages or minimum salary would be fine with me. And I'd be happy for Chapman to start next to Wilkinson next season. Although, if Kisnorbo could play better than Chapman and get into the starting XI on merit I'd be happy with that too.

As for Mooy, I wasn't at all arguing that Mooy should go to Europe. I was arguing that Mooy will go to Europe. Every time he's asked about his future he says "I'm not sure what the future holds" and "every player has aspirations to play at the highest level". So I'm sure that he wants to test himself in Europe next season, and due to reported buy-out clauses in Mooy's contract that kick in at the end of the season--"[Mooy is] too good to play in the A-League next season and the January transfer window presents the club's last chance to cash in on him before clauses come into effect at the end of the season making him available for less than half the value of current offers" (link)--I'm sure he will be playing in Europe next season.

As for what Mooy should do, IMO Mooy would definitely go on to have a good individual playing career in anywhere in Europe bar the EPL (that is, he'd get a good amount of playing time, play well and would keep making Socceroos teams, which would be good for Australian players in La Liga, the Bundesliga or the Eredivisie). The interesting thing is that I have the sense that Mooy wants to play in the EPL. I'm torn as to whether he could he perform in the EPL--that is consistently get game time and play well. Maybe for a newly promoted or lower ranked EPL side, like Watford, who have reportedly targeted Mooy, he could perform in the EPL, but I'm weary that Mooy could become a fringe player at many EPL clubs or he could join a club who's playing style doesn't suit him (just like Tommy Oar with Ipswich in the Championship; he could join a team that prioritises athleticism and downplays technique/skill). Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens with Mooy.

As for Zullo, I agree he's very good at going forward and wing-play, which makes him a very attacking fullback if he plays at LB. I can't name any superior Australian options at LB that Melbourne City could use for next season, as Behich re-signed in Turkey, and Garuccio, Clisby and Manny Muscat aren't clearly better fullbacks IMO (the latter 2 are arguably better defensively, but IMO they leave a lot to be desired going forward, and if Melbourne City keeps playing attacking football then that makes Zullo a real good choice at LB for us). A final point on Zullo is that while he's not the best LB defensively, I also reckon he's not as bad at defending as some seem to suggest. So IMO he's well on his way to earning a new contract, and if overall he's not doing well enough at LB then I'd be happy for Garuccio, Muscat and Clisby to compete with Zullo for the LB position next season.

And as for Germano, I'm happy to agree to disagree there. I would definitely agree that the club couldn't re-sign him as a Visa player, but now that he's an Australian player I'd be perfectly fine with him taking up one of the 21 Australian spots in the squad on minimum wages. If a squaddie like Trifiro is "the future", then in this case I think it would be much better if the club went back to the past and re-signed Germano, if he stays fit and trains with the team in pre-season and can earn a contract (exactly like Trifiro did last season). No special treatment, he'd be tested on merit like every other player Melbourne City has considered signing, and IMO a fit Germano would pass the test, and would be a useful squaddie next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silva10 said:

I wouldn't disagree with that. However, it is a bigger challenge to play in Germany and France, mainly because of the language. I believe this is important when choosing which country you want to play in.

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd agree about Paddy and partially agree about Mooy.

Whether Kisnorbo is re-signed on low wages or minimum salary would be fine with me. And I'd be happy for Chapman to start next to Wilkinson next season. Although, if Kisnorbo could play better than Chapman and get into the starting XI on merit I'd be happy with that too.

As for Mooy, I wasn't at all arguing that Mooy should go to Europe. I was arguing that Mooy will go to Europe. Every time he's asked about his future he says "I'm not sure what the future holds" and "every player has aspirations to play at the highest level". So I'm sure that he wants to test himself in Europe next season, and due to reported buy-out clauses in Mooy's contract that kick in at the end of the season--"[Mooy is] too good to play in the A-League next season and the January transfer window presents the club's last chance to cash in on him before clauses come into effect at the end of the season making him available for less than half the value of current offers" (link)--I'm sure he will be playing in Europe next season.

As for what Mooy should do, IMO Mooy would definitely go on to have a good individual playing career in anywhere in Europe bar the EPL (that is, he'd get a good amount of playing time, play well and would keep making Socceroos teams, which would be good for Australian players in La Liga, the Bundesliga or the Eredivisie). The interesting thing is that I have the sense that Mooy wants to play in the EPL. I'm torn as to whether he could he perform in the EPL--that is consistently get game time and play well. Maybe for a newly promoted or lower ranked EPL side, like Watford, who have reportedly targeted Mooy, he could perform in the EPL, but I'm weary that Mooy could become a fringe player at many EPL clubs or he could join a club who's playing style doesn't suit him (just like Tommy Oar with Ipswich in the Championship; he could join a team that prioritises athleticism and downplays technique/skill). Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens with Mooy.

As for Zullo, I agree he's very good at going forward and wing-play, which makes him a very attacking fullback if he plays at LB. I can't name any superior Australian options at LB that Melbourne City could use for next season, as Behich re-signed in Turkey, and Garuccio, Clisby and Manny Muscat aren't clearly better fullbacks IMO (the latter 2 are arguably better defensively, but IMO they leave a lot to be desired going forward, and if Melbourne City keeps playing attacking football then that makes Zullo a real good choice at LB for us). A final point on Zullo is that while he's not the best LB defensively, I also reckon he's not as bad at defending as some seem to suggest. So IMO he's well on his way to earning a new contract, and if overall he's not doing well enough at LB then I'd be happy for Garuccio, Muscat and Clisby to compete with Zullo for the LB position next season.

And as for Germano, I'm happy to agree to disagree there. I would definitely agree that the club couldn't re-sign him as a Visa player, but now that he's an Australian player I'd be perfectly fine with him taking up one of the 21 Australian spots in the squad on minimum wages. If a squaddie like Trifiro is "the future", then in this case I think it would be much better if the club went back to the past and re-signed Germano, if he stays fit and trains with the team in pre-season and can earn a contract (exactly like Trifiro did last season). No special treatment, he'd be tested on merit like every other player Melbourne City has considered signing, and IMO a fit Germano would pass the test, and would be a useful squaddie next season.

I would also add that Mooy has already been to Europe at St Mirrens and that one thing he has learnt is the type of club he goes to because in an interview he did say that at one club they controlled his diet in order to get his weight down but that was detrimental to his game, where as at City the staff are quite content with his diet and weight. So Mooy is not a novice.

Another factor is that he may speak Dutch given that his parents are Dutch.

Thirdly, Mile Jedinak is still playing for Crystal Palace - yes very different type of player but if he can make it, I have little doubt that Mooy can make it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I would also add that Mooy has already been to Europe at St Mirrens and that one thing he has learnt is the type of club he goes to because in an interview he did say that at one club they controlled his diet in order to get his weight down but that was detrimental to his game, where as at City the staff are quite content with his diet and weight. So Mooy is not a novice.

Another factor is that he may speak Dutch given that his parents are Dutch.

Thirdly, Mile Jedinak is still playing for Crystal Palace - yes very different type of player but if he can make it, I have little doubt that Mooy can make it.

Jedinak has a contract at an EPL club, saying he plays for an EPL club is a bit misleading

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke said:

He's captain 

and broxham has captained victory on occasions, shitcunts can be captain
only plays if cabaye or ledley are injured, if it's a cup game or if they plan on parking the bus

mooy is far more talented than that grub

Edited by Thrillhouse

18 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

and broxham has captained victory on occasions, shitcunts can be captain
only plays if cabaye or ledley are injured, if it's a cup game or if they plan on parking the bus

mooy is far more talented than that grub

Unless Mooy can play in epl i'm not willing to go that far just yet 

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

One thing I'd like to see going forward is more than one player ready willing and able to take set-pieces, penalties etc. Couldn't we have, say, three players who specialise in free-kicks from certain angles and distances? And in my day wingers took corners. Shits me to see a player ambling from one side of the field to the other to take another corner etc. And in the past few matches Mooy has been nothing special at the set pieces.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Bump.

One thing I'd like to see going forward is more than one player ready willing and able to take set-pieces, penalties etc. Couldn't we have, say, three players who specialise in free-kicks from certain angles and distances? And in my day wingers took corners. Shits me to see a player ambling from one side of the field to the other to take another corner etc. And in the past few matches Mooy has been nothing special at the set pieces.

Havnt rated Mooy much at corners this season. Those near post corners always frustrate me, but then again he puts them in on the penalty spot for the Socceroos so its obviously a JVS master tactic (which worked once against Adelaide with Partallu, hence why we are still doing it)

40 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Unless CFG name a new coach now I will not even bother to think about a team.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Bump.

A left foot option would be handy.  The best thing about mooy was that he was better than Duga.  Though half the crowd would be better than Duga.

More importantly striker power off the bench.  Hard to win titles without it.

My 2 cents

Don't re-sign:

• Zullo - Shown glimpses, but I thought he was lacking defensively. Injury prone too. Sorry
  • Brown - What's there to say? Prefer to keep Marino and Dekker and lose him
  • Trifiro - Brought in to be an experienced squaddie but is last on the pecking order for midfielders.
  • Hughes - No explanation needed. See you

Re-sign

• Wilkinson - No explanation needed
  • Caceras - Shows more promise than Melling or Retre imo.
  • Dekker - Unlucky to not get much game time this season. Fornaroli just too good to ever sub off plus his injuries. Thought he was decent when he was on. Downside he is 21 and cannot fill youth slot
  • Marino - Decent to fill 1 u20 slot
  • Fitzgerald - Worked extremely hard for us since he came. His decision making was a bit off at times, but deserves an extension. 

Try to move

• Garuccio - Mostly JVS' fault but he doesn't seem to fit anywhere nicely. Often been average as well imo

Not sure

• Kisnorbo - Hero of the club, but getting on. I would like to see a shake-up of our back 4 next season, so if he does re-sign he will be a squaddie. Hope he continues with the club in other aspects.
  • Novillo - Rumours circling that the club want him gone. Don't want to pick a side on this one.
  • Bouzanis - Hard to say. Ideally we want a keeper that will begin to take the reigns from Sorensen next season. If he hasn't improved much since his time at WSW then don't re-sign.

• Left back
  • Left winger 
  • Visa defender that can actually make starting 11
  • Marquee Mooy replacement 
  • Squaddie midfielder (maybe yoof if he will be last on the pecking order like trifiro)
Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

FWIW this is the current squad situation. You can see why we didn't win anything - there is no depth whatsoever.

2015-16 SQUAD

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/16

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19.

24                    Patrick Kisnorbo          31/5/16.
22                    Jack Clisby                  31/5/18.

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.
3                      Aaron Hughes (V)        31/5/16.

11                    Michael Zullo                31/5/16.

33                    Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Alex Wilkinson              31/5/16.

Midfielders.
19                    Ben Garuccio               31/5/17.
8                      Aaron Mooy (M)           31/5/18.
25                    Jacob Melling               31/5/18.

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.

16                    Jason Trifiro                 31/5/16.
29                    Anthony Caceres         31/5/16.  On loan from Manchester City.

Forwards.
14                    James Brown                31/5/16.
26                    Marc Marino                  31/5/16.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17.

9                      Harry Novillo (V)            31/5/17.

17                    Wade Dekker                31/5/16.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (V)        31/5/17.
27                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/16.

Total number of players above: 24

SIGNINGS FOR 2016-17

Defenders
--                      Emmanuel Muscat         31/5/18. Will join City from Wellington at end of 2015-16 season.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Bump.

FWIW this is the current squad situation. You can see why we didn't win anything - there is no depth whatsoever.

2015-16 SQUAD

Number           Name                           Contract until

Goalkeepers.
20                    Dean Bouzanis            31/5/16

1                      Thomas Sorensen (V) 31/5/17

Defenders.
4                      Connor Chapman        31/5/19.

24                    Patrick Kisnorbo          31/5/16.
22                    Jack Clisby                  31/5/18.

5                      Ivan Franjic                  31/5/18.
3                      Aaron Hughes (V)        31/5/16.

11                    Michael Zullo                31/5/16.

33                    Osama Malik                31/5/18.
2                      Alex Wilkinson              31/5/16.

Midfielders.
19                    Ben Garuccio               31/5/17.
8                      Aaron Mooy (M)           31/5/18.
25                    Jacob Melling               31/5/18.

18                    Paulo Retre                  31/5/18.

16                    Jason Trifiro                 31/5/16.
29                    Anthony Caceres         31/5/16.  On loan from Manchester City.

Forwards.
14                    James Brown                31/5/16.
26                    Marc Marino                  31/5/16.

28                    Steve Kuzmanovski      31/5/17.

7                      Corey Gameiro              31/5/17.

9                      Harry Novillo (V)            31/5/17.

17                    Wade Dekker                31/5/16.

23                    Bruno Fornaroli (V)        31/5/17.
27                    Nick Fitzgerald               31/5/16.

Total number of players above: 24

SIGNINGS FOR 2016-17

Defenders
--                      Emmanuel Muscat         31/5/18. Will join City from Wellington at end of 2015-16 season.

So of these, the following players will be out of contract by the end of this season:

No Name Pos Date Status
20 Dean Bouzanis GK 31/05/2016 N
24 Patrick Kisnorbo DEF 31/05/2016 N
3 Aaron Hughes DEF 31/05/2016 V
11 Michael Zullo DEF 31/05/2016 N
2 Alex Wilkinson DEF 31/05/2016 N
16 Jason Trifiro MID 31/05/2016 N
29 Anthony Caceres  MID 31/05/2016 L
14 James Brown FWD 31/05/2016 N
26 Marc Marino FWD 31/05/2016 N
17 Wade Dekker FWD 31/05/2016 N
27 Nick Fitzgerald FWD 31/05/2016 N

So question is now, who do you renew and who would you move on?

I will only retain Bouzanis, Paddy, Wilko, Nicky and perhaps convince CFG to retain Caceres...

Hope and expect us to get Brattan- which will mean Malik will play at CB. That's a step in the right direction.

Would keep Caceres if possible ( if not in too big $$)- we've seen his potential, and I reckon next season could be a breakout year for him.

We need a top notch marquee replacement for Mooy. Would be good to bring in another visa at either CB or an adaptable winger/forward ( Cirio/Castro-esq). Hope we can keep Wilkinson as he has been great- again $$ dependent.  He and Malik would be a good CB partnership. 

Edited by tommac