Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Melbourne City the place where the sky is always falling.

Koren and Mooy are both massive upgrades on players in midfield last year. Kewell couldn't get on the park and Orland missed most of the season the rest are still around but will be better for playing with quality players. A good visa DM really would top us off in this area.

I suspect down back you get exposed less if you can hold onto the ball (see walls of whine in other threads about meaningless possession) fact is defence isn't an issue when you have the ball so in a respect picking up good midfielders who retain the ball improves the defence. The issue there last season was the lack of accountability of midfielders (or work rate). Meaning they regularly got over run. I think both our experienced central defenders are quite solid. When we retain the ball I expect Wielhaert to show his worth (not that anyone on here will give him credit). I'd. Expect Germano and King to get a good run out wide at the back this year. Rambo is being given every chance I suspect he will come up short. Pre-season is the time to test him out.

Williams as shot as I think he is scored plenty last year and should have better service this year he will keep scoring. Duff is a huge upgrade on the left. Villa will knock a few in whilst here too and Marino looks a better prospect than Macallister.

How people are suggesting our squad doesn't look better this year than last is beyond me.

I acknowledged that we've improved our squad but my point is that I don't think we've improved it enough, or in the right areas compared to other clubs. 

Scouts would identify player type, availability as well as quality. Duff and Koren are both here because of the scouts. Just because we haven't signed some unheard of South American gem doesn't mean we are not benefiting from the scouting network. Orlando was a superstar for us, but securing someone like him was an exception to the rule for our previous administration. I doubt that we would have Duff and Koren without MCFC behind us.

Edited by Jake

Scouts would identify player type, availability as well as quality. Duff and Koren are both here because of the scouts. Just because we haven't signed some unheard of South American gem doesn't mean we are not benefiting from the scouting network. Orlando was a superstar for us, but securing someone like him was an exception to the rule for our previous administration. I doubt that we would have Duff and Koren without MCFC behind us.

I'd say we're using different understandings of what football scouts actually do.

Quite frankly, I'd rather have Archibald. He's already demonstrated at both Brisbane and Heart that he can play, and at least there's a chance that he can improve with the right guidance and training. Hoffman is at best mediocre, and Germano just can't get on the field.

• Like 3

So it seems like hoff is injured and germano is being wrapped in cotton wool so that would explain archibald at rb last game and probably this game too

Hoff just on ice for a week or two. Willo in the same boat I think.

@JHoff28: @MelbourneCity hey mate. Just precautionary. Fine tuning things before season. #allgood

Rather liked to look of that Richard Vernes, the Hungarian on loan to CCM from Honved. Just 22 he would have been the sort of visa player that I would have hoped we would sign.

The sooner we clear out deadwood from our squad and make a bit of room the better.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Rather liked to look of that Richard Vernes, the Hungarian on loan to CCM from Honved. Just 22 he would have been the sort of visa player that I would have hoped we would sign.

The sooner we clear out deadwood from our squad and make a bit of room the better.

the bloke could come on the day of our first game and still score a hattrick. Class is permanent form is temporary.

Yeah I have no problem with him arriving a week before his first game if that's what's organised. This is not Harry Kewell in 2013 this Villa in 2014 having just played the World Cup for Spain... The fact that he's even coming here for one game is showing more respect to the A-League than it probably deserves. Certainly more respect to Heart than it deserves at the moment. 

I'd like for the club to very quickly finish off the roster and sort out the final players. I'm pretty sure that we still have around 3-4 spots left. I'm not entirely convinced by the squad that we have right not, but I do feel that with a couple of solid signings we would be looking good. I like our midfield, Mooy, Koren and Mass. If possible I'd replace Mass with another DM, but I think that more importantly the club needs to sort out it's issues at RB & LB.

I'm getting sick of the club constantly trying players there, who are playing out of position. It's just not good enough that for 4 years, that we've not once had a genuine fullback.

• Like 1

I'd like for the club to very quickly finish off the roster and sort out the final players. I'm pretty sure that we still have around 3-4 spots left. I'm not entirely convinced by the squad that we have right not, but I do feel that with a couple of solid signings we would be looking good. I like our midfield, Mooy, Koren and Mass. If possible I'd replace Mass with another DM, but I think that more importantly the club needs to sort out it's issues at RB & LB.

I'm getting sick of the club constantly trying players there, who are playing out of position. It's just not good enough that for 4 years, that we've not once had a genuine fullback.

According to the press release after the signings of Marino and Retre we have signed 19+2 of the 23+3 that we are allowed.

Confirmed by the Herald-Sun here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-announces-the-signings-of-youngsters-paulo-retre-marc-marino-ahead-of-new-season/story-fnk6rlg0-1227028231069

One of the four senior players that we can sign one is the Australian marquee and outside the cap, the other three have to be inside the cap, and of those one can be a visa player. We can sign one more youth player in the "+3" category to join Marino and Melling.

Other than for the Australian marquee the limiting factor is how much of the salary cap we have left, and for the "+3" player how much of the $150,000 we have left to pay these three players.

IMO it all comes down to what quality we can get with what we have left to pay them. This is where I would hope that CFG are going to come to the rescue and find us the players we need. We are actually in quite a good position if we have got the the numbers right.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

It seems pretty odd that we are a month from kick-off and missing 4 players from what we are allowed. I know we're likely waiting til the J-League finishes before getting Josh Kennedy.

At the least, I would have thought we'd have secured the extra visa player by now. Really if someone takes up a visa spot they should be better or as good as any Aussies. So in theory we're missing 2 of the ideal starting 11 (visa plus Aussie Marque).

Most other clubs are still looking for players. Brisbane were close but they failed because they couldn't make Henrique a citizen

Hopefully we can make Germano a citizen next season. He joined us in 2011 so if he can become Australian citizen we'll meet the new 4 foreign players' rule (reduced from 5 foreign players) in season 2015/16 without having to get rid of him ;-)

I reckon the whole FFA change the goal posts around loan deals saga probably threw a spanner in the works for our squad. Maybe after all that drama went down and we missed out on Lampard, the money left in the kitty became more difficult to spread on the final spots

I have no doubt at all that this is what happened. Perhaps Lampard wouldn't have agreed to come anyway, given the likely resistance from his fiancee, but also there was no point in us having trialled Evans and Davies from the EDS once the loan rules were changed.

IMO FFA is not acting in the best interests of Australian football by its narrow-minded approach.

Edited by jw1739

IMO FFA is not acting in the best interests of Australian football by its narrow-minded approach.

Yes and no. While it would have been amazing to see both Lampard and Villa play in the A-League this season and the buzz would have been huge, City were being pretty cheeky and exploiting a loophole. They were basically trying to get around having to sign a marquee player for us. I think the FFA found this to be a pretty arrogant attitude and wanted to send a message that just because we have a lot of money, does not mean the City group can come in and do what ever we want. I found it to be quite surprising the FFA had the balls to pull them up, especially so early on, but I can see why they did it. It means City will actually have to properly invest in the club if they want to have World class players here for the entire season.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

New-look City, hungry Victory ready to lift Melbourne over Sydney and into A-League limelight

MATT WINDLEY

AS MUCH as the pressure is on Melbourne City to sky-rocket up the A-League ladder this season, the real onus has to be on Melbourne Victory to win the title.

The year of the Melbourne teams is almost upon us.

The start of season 10 of the A-League - an Etihad Stadium blockbuster between Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers - was exactly one month away on Wednesday.

City, in their first A-League game since changing their name from Melbourne Heart, head to Sydney a night later where David Villa, Damien Duff, Robert Koren and co will be expected to light up Allianz Stadium against the Sky Blues.

Whether it was the Alessandro Del Piero effect, or the stunning emergence of the Wanderers, the A-League has felt rather Sydney-centric in the past two seasons.

But no longer will that be the case with the arrival of EPL champions Manchester City in to the Melbourne market sure to make waves.

Finally, the cross-town rivalry is about to explode.

City has already left their mark in recruiting Villa, Spain's all-time leading goal scorer, albeit for a 10-game guest stint.

The striker should arrive in Melbourne around the first week of October and his quota of games before Christmas could well take in two derbies against Victory.

Villa aside, two-time Premier League winner Duff and Slovenia's 2010 World Cup captain Koren are sure to make an instant impact, while the potential recruitment of Josh Kennedy as Australian marquee would be another coup.

The team spent three weeks in Manchester honing their craft and there's talk of academies and new facilities, but the proof will be in the on-field pudding.

TAB has installed City as a $5.50 equal title favourite with Brisbane Roar, but an FFA Cup loss to Sydney last month, and pre-season matches against Adelaide (1-0 loss) and Central Coast (1-1 draw), may have tempered expectations slightly.

Victory, meanwhile, is humming.

Their 3-0 win against Perth last weekend came without Mark Milligan, Carl Valeri, Kosta Barbarouses and Scott Galloway, and they will be favourite to advance to the FFA Cup quarter finals when it takes on Tuggeranong United in Canberra on Tuesday.

Kevin Muscat has embarked upon his first pre-season as coach having taken over from Ange Postecoglou in the early part of last season and has said he will only add to his squad if he truly believes that player can make a genuine impact.

After consecutive preliminary final appearances, there will be few excuses to fall back on this season should Victory not go one step further.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/newlook-city-hungry-victory-ready-to-lift-melbourne-over-sydney-and-into-aleague-limelight/story-fnk6pqhd-1227054446138

Edited by Murfy1

I have just been looking on from a distance the last couple of months and trying to get a feel of the expectations for the up coming season.

I suppose the results against the A League sides have dampened those expectations somewhat. For the bookies to put Melbourne as favourites was simply foolish IMO. I guess the odds will have lengthened in the past couple of weeks. Which as it should be. It would be nothing short of a miracle to go from last to winning the whole thing.

I honestly believe the club should be looking to qualify for the finals and if successful, then that can be considered a good season.

It will take time to turn things around, but hopefully you will see plenty of good football throughout the season.

Where I think Duff and Koren will make a difference is over a season rather than a one off game. Their experience of playing to a high standard over a number of games will increase as the season unfolds.

Hopefully Villa will make a difference at the start of the season and help you get in contention.

I for one am looking forward to the season and hopefully all of you are.

Edited by silva10

I honestly believe the club should be looking to qualify for the finals and if successful, then that can be considered a good season.

No. No. No.

"Qualifying for the finals" is just not a worthy objective; it simply reinforces a mind-set that mediocrity is good enough, and we've had four seasons of that and don't want any more. 6th in a league of 10 teams is the equivalent of 12th in the EPL, and that would not be a worthy objective in the EPL. It might be considered, at season's end, to be a satisfactory achievement for various reasons, but as an objective - no!

• Like 1

Burnley would be pretty stoked with 12th in the epl.

Seriously, our team is pretty average this season

Oh. Well thats OK then.

Most people reluctantly accepted that City would strip us our our identity on the grounds that they would build something to be proud of. To build this, the first thing that has to go is the ridiculous and counter productive attitude that simply making the finals series is good enough. I know things take time, but fuck me some people around here seem to be happy just making up the numbers. There is no reason why we couldnt have set the bar as high as it goes and spent the off season (as well as the end of last season) preparing to achieve that goal. 

• Like 2