Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

I'd be comfortable playing a 3-5-2 tbh

Velaphi

Hoffman Kisnorbo Wielaart

Mooy. Murdocca

Dugandzic Koren Duff

Williams Villa/Kennedy

With kalmar, garrucio, mauk, Chapman, Germano, Brown as bench options.

Plus whoever we sign as 5th visa to come.

3-5-2 requires the wide men to work up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and be able to defend as well as attack. Better option would be Germano and Garuccio as wing backs with Duff sitting off the striker with Mooy, Koren and Visa DM in midfield. Also Chapman or Archibald at CB before Hoffman.

I'd be comfortable playing a 3-5-2 tbh

Velaphi

Hoffman Kisnorbo Wielaart

Mooy. Murdocca

Dugandzic Koren Duff

Williams Villa/Kennedy

With kalmar, garrucio, mauk, Chapman, Germano, Brown as bench options.

Plus whoever we sign as 5th visa to come.

3-5-2 requires the wide men to work up and down the pitch for 90 minutes and be able to defend as well as attack. Better option would be Germano and Garuccio as wing backs with Duff sitting off the striker with Mooy, Koren and Visa DM in midfield. Also Chapman or Archibald at CB before Hoffman.

Germano is way to lazy for that. He is good and aggressive when the ball is in his vicinity, but once out of it he could not care less about the ball even if we are being countered against he just slowly jogs back.

I suspect if we can dictate games well enough in the middle the right and left backs defensive abilities are under the microscope less. In this regard I think a cdm is probably more important, also given our nominal formation. I'd also like to think we can find servicable young wing backs simalr to what victory have done recruiting Galloway and Geria in the past. Even looking at our history guys like Behich and Goodwin have stepped up and done well in those roles.

• Like 1

I suspect if we can dictate games well enough in the middle the right and left backs defensive abilities are under the microscope less. In this regard I think a cdm is probably more important, also given our nominal formation. I'd also like to think we can find servicable young wing backs simalr to what victory have done recruiting Galloway and Geria in the past. Even looking at our history guys like Behich and Goodwin have stepped up and done well in those roles.

In order to do that we need players who are good on the ball (we have 2 of those) and players who can pass accurately and have good touch (the same 2). We need width to make the field larger for our opponents when we have possession.

a DM who can also help with CB if needed. *cough* gerhardt

But I hope more of a DM as I dont want to see Murdocca or Kalmar being that midfield anchor behind Koren and Mooy

I really feel jon mckain could be this player for us. As far as i am aware still unsigned

mctongue-pic.jpg

a DM who can also help with CB if needed. *cough* gerhardt

But I hope more of a DM as I dont want to see Murdocca or Kalmar being that midfield anchor behind Koren and Mooy

I really feel jon mckain could be this player for us. As far as i am aware still unsigned

Are you Jon McKain's agent?

Dammit you figured me out! 

More just a fan of his playing at poli timisoara in the homeland

We haven't signed Ross Archibald yet, despite all the predictions that we would.

Anyone know what's going on with him? Has he dropped out of the picture altogether?

Seems strange, given our defensive weaknesses and that he was our NYL Player of the Year last season.

We haven't signed Ross Archibald yet, despite all the predictions that we would.

Anyone know what's going on with him? Has he dropped out of the picture altogether?

Seems strange, given our defensive weaknesses and that he was our NYL Player of the Year last season.

He played against hume along with tom king. They are both 19 so they are probably listed as youth players so they are 'trialing' because they arnt on the seniors list. JVS talks about Archibald as signed player and did mention him when he was asked about our defensive players and the last visa spot. It went something like this... 'Well Conor is sick so we need to find someone else to help out, so we will look for a defensive midfielder who can help out at the back if needed. Archibald is here but he is young.' So that probably means JVS doesnt think he is ready yet...

Thanks for the update. I lost touch completely whilst overseas.

BTW, how did Tom King go against Hume? I have read mixed reviews of his play.

I'd probably describe both as being raw. But they are only young so hopefully with Jolic as an assistant our young players develop faster/better/whateveristhebestwaytodescribeit

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

As I see it the changes in our squad can be summarised as follows:

On Field

Out: Mifsud      In:: Villa/unnamed Marquee (presumed Kennedy)

Out: Engelaar  In: Koren

Out: Kewell      In: Mooy

Out: Gerhardt  In: Chapman

Out: Behich     In:  Duff

Out: Walker & Mitchison        In: Retre & Melling

Out: Mebrahtu & Macallister  In: Brown & Marino

Off Field

Out: Aloisi       In: JVS

Out: Foxe       In: Trani & Jolic 

Discussion:

• The departure of Mifsud, a player who never found his feet in the A League, to be replaced by Villa, one of the best strikers in the world, obviously stands out as a big improvement in the squad.  The unannounced marquee, who we all assume is Kennedy, will also be a massive step up from the struggling Mifsud
  • Koren to date has shown that he may prove an adequate replacement of Engelaar and certainly has the credentials
  • Kewell played well when he was available, but his inability to stay on the park means that Mooy should prove at least an adequate replacement (note, strictly speaking its Koren for Kewell and Mooy for Engelaar).  Obviously Kewell was unlikely to play on this year, so Mooy seemed at the "high end" of the sort of player we might sign to replace a player who was after all on low wages 
  • Gerhardt for Chapman is an interesting one.  In my view Gerhardt was disappointing last year and his replacement with an up and coming Australian seemed a good move, up and until he went down with glandular fever.  How good this change now works out is closely related to how quickly Chapman can get back on his feet.  
  • Behich out for Duff is a strange one.  it would seem bringing in a player like Duff, direct from the Premier League, would be a massive boost, but given this will mean that we will have a makeshift left back, we have in effect weakened one position to strengthen another.  The failure to sign a left back to replace Behich means that we may have turned what should have been a coup into a slight step backwards. 
  • The other changes i just see as a change in fringe players and not likely to have a big impact on the season either way, though Melling, Marino and Retre seem to be players for the future, so hopefully we'll get a glimpse of that this year..

The big change is of course off the field, with the inexperienced Aloisi & Foxe replaced with a much more well credentialled coach and two highly rated assistants.

So all in all the club has made a lot of changes (9 in total) but only one really stands out as likely to help us substantially on the field.  Off the field still seems the area that will reap the most benefit, with an absence of The Aloisi Factor surely leading to "The Heart" being a lot more competitive this time around.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 3