Melbourne Football

Tando Velaphi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a hedaik for JVS.  Benching him when he is having the best form in his career and confidence sky high will not be a good thing for Tando.  If he benches Sorenson then why did waste a VISA spot on him?  I bet he benches Tando

I don't. Otherwise he would have started Thomas last night. Could well 50-50 split their game time, which would be a very interesting result.

I don't know how many times JvS will have to explain this, but he has repeatedly said that neither Tando nor Sorensen is "no. 1", and that they are there to compete with each other for the starting place. He has also explained that the club decided quite early last season that they wanted to bring Sorensen to the club to , as he put it, "raise the energy level" in the playing group. And I'd say that from what we've seen so far that's exactly what has happened - all over the park.

I don't. Otherwise he would have started Thomas last night. Could well 50-50 split their game time, which would be a very interesting result.

OTOH the B-keeper traditionally get the cup games.

I don't know how many times JvS will have to explain this, but he has repeatedly said that neither Tando nor Sorensen is "no. 1", and that they are there to compete with each other for the starting place. He has also explained that the club decided quite early last season that they wanted to bring Sorensen to the club to , as he put it, "raise the energy level" in the playing group. And I'd say that from what we've seen so far that's exactly what has happened - all over the park.

Its the politically correct thing to say.  Tando had a good season.  If JVS said to him hes No 2 it could crush his morale.

Besides I would have thought he manager motivates his team, not the goal keeper.

Time will tell

The best situation for the team (and one it has never been in before) is having 2 players who have form that demands their selection but one of them has to sit out the game on the bench. In the long term that makes it harder to retain good players but it makes for a successful team

Yep. As far as I can see we have a win/win situation regardless of who plays. If Tando wants to cement the spot he is going to have keep his good form, and also keep improving. If not, we still have a well experienced GK starting.

I'm sure most fans want to see Tando as no.1, but he's going to have to lift his game. He's not competing against Redmayne anymore.

Edited by bellydrum

I posted it somewhere when we signed Sorenson, but he has no hope against Velaphi. Velaphi is the hungriest player in the team, no one will take the #1 spot from him. Sorenson is just pushing him to another level, Velaphi will be the best keeper in the league this year.

• Like 1