Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

IMO two out of 23 - i.e.10% of your squad (ignoring the "+3" younger players that you're allowed) -  being known injury-prone risks is a ridiculous risk to take. You are already accepting that you have a lower chance of success than other clubs. These are the sorts of stupid decisions we've taken in the past - and that's part of the reason why we are where we are. It is madness to keep repeating what you've done before and expect the results to be different.

There's just so many variables though and it depends on how we define 'injury prone'. If Germano has a clean run before the end of the season, doesn't have any setbacks, passes a full physical in the offseason, then that's a very different beast to him tweaking something in our remaining games and starting preseason next year in the rehab group.

The other aspect is what the depth is like. If we've got 6-8 players in the squad that are simply not up to it, then that's when having a few players on the injury list can really hurt. If the depth is good, having a few injuries shouldn't be a catastrophe, plus the players that are injured don't have to be rushed back in as soon as possible (as it feels we've done a couple of times with JG).

one half of the problem is gambling on an injury prone player, the half that compounds the risk though is when that player is a key role or position player and the team has little depth in that position - then it becomes a real issue. We have missed Germano less this season that we missed Engelaar last season for instance

Yep. Germano is a good player and has the potential - if he ever gets his body right - to be a starter. But if he did sign for another year and had another injury plagued season, that should in no way sabotage the 2015-16 season. We should be expecting a good squad next season, with or without Germano.

Germano is one of my favourite players because he gets it done. He isn't classy or particularly skilful but he makes a big difference when he plays.

Last season he put in a string of good performances but inevitably broke down. It's hard not expect the same thing to happen again.

I think that being classy and skillful are his greater strengths.

Too crowded in the midfield with Germano, Paartalu, Melling and Mooy. Germano is good enough to start every week, just not healthy enough to start every week.

Not sure how we could fit him in with the other two holding mids plus Mooy, even if he was fit to play weekly.

He's been successfully played at RB and nothing against Jailens, but he is just too slow to offer us anything going forward.

Slot Germano in their and Safuwan at LB and suddenly our back 4 don't look too bad.

It would be a solid back four. No disrespect to fullbacks but I reckon Germano (when fit) is too good to be one. He can play as one because he is quite versatile.

I rather like the idea of transitioning Paartalu to CB. Someone mentioned it a while back.

Bit of a gamble considering Germano's fitness issues but he and Melling could screen the back four and let Mooy drift forward. I'd love to see Melling and Germano on the pitch at the same time. Two fearless and gritty tacklers would add steel to our midfield.

I would rather a fit and healthy Germano for 7 games a season than a fully healthy Iain Ramsay for 27 games a season.

If we are playing hypothetical, I would prefer any fully fit mid 20s visa midfielder  that is a bonafide starter that can play 20+ games than Germano. 

I would rather a fit and healthy Germano for 7 games a season than a fully healthy Iain Ramsay for 27 games a season.

If we are playing hypothetical, I would prefer any fully fit mid 20s visa midfielder  that is a bonafide starter that can play 20+ games than Germano. 

Due to the Salary Cap the A-League is not won by Marquees or Youth Players in my opinion the major sides (Forget the two Regional Sides) all usually have Marquees and Youth Players that fulfil their job descriptions... of course some better than others.

IMO its your middle tier players who make a successful A-league side and that is where we are always being let down... so primarily your Full Backs, your Fourth and Fifth best Central Midfielders and Sub Striker.

Having a bloke who cant even get on the field to play one of these roles who also takes up a Visa Spot has hurt us for far too long.

• Like 3

Sign this guy up again! F that! Keep fit and he will be one of our best.

We need a visa player who can play like Germano but for 30 games a season not 5-8

I know. But as l mentioned previously, l liked guy from day 1. His work rate too notch. Stay injury-free and all good.

Was great tonight

Yes he usually is when he plays and we win far more games than we lose when he does play, he just does't play often enough

Exactly this.

If we want to move on from being an up and down side we must remove being hopeful that a player will be fit, but knowing without doubt he will be. He needs to play the remaining games and not miss a beat to even consider talking to him.

Just over the worry. Good player but just injury prone and a liability.

Did play very well tonight though.

Imo he was second best on ground tonight behind Kisnorbo. Started last two games, two wins. I really hope we keep him at least for next season.

Has always been my favourite player when he plays for us. We just seem to win with him on the pitch.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Imo he was second best on ground tonight behind Kisnorbo. Started last two games, two wins. I really hope we keep him at least for next season.

2nd best on ground?

I think we're all getting a bit carried away here.

He was ok. Hopefully he can stay fit and regain some sharpness.

Good to see him playing though.

As I said previously he and Melling provide something we desperately need in the midfield. Energy.

They are machines. They don't stop on either defensive or attacking plays. It helps our other players who rely on hard work being done. It's no coincidence that when neither played we looked a shambles. As soon as Germano came into the line up it provides good results.