Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

• 1 month later...

Can't recall one Heart reference from JA tonight on 7 mate for the Liverpool game. Saw plenty of opportunities where he could have snuck a sneaky Heart reference in...but alas. Bridges mentioned the Jets several times. Opportunity missed I guess

Noticed this too, if tonight's game attracted any potential new fans then I can almost guarantee the majority of them will go to the Visitors.

Wish we'd do a bit more to try and attract new fans tbh

• Like 1

Victory got some boos during the game, there are a lot of people who follow European football who hate Victory and are casual A-league fans.  Look at the 25% increase in Sydney and Newcastle and NQ Fury with their marquees recently.

Aloisi is a better tv expert than coach at the moment, but pleasantly surprised that he's more analytical than I thought.

Victory got some boos during the game, there are a lot of people who follow European football who hate Victory and are casual A-league fans.  Look at the 25% increase in Sydney and Newcastle and NQ Fury with their marquees recently.

Aloisi is a better tv expert than coach at the moment, but pleasantly surprised that he's more analytical than I thought.

So the epl snobs booed victory last nite that should give us hope that we could attract those fans to heart? why would we want those types following heart anyway? the victory players deserved an applause as they played well considering all the factors.

cant believe our coach was on the panel last nite what a fucking embarrassment. If you watched the telecast and dont follow aleague you wouldnt even know that he coaches melbourne heart.

someone change the name of this thread back to Sack Aloisi

The negative shit some people spew on this forum is ridiculous.

Jimmy, understand your feelings...but sometimes sentiment gets in the way of the words. I think many of us, if we looked to our innermost feelings, would admit frustration and disappointment that it was our bitter rivals and not Heart that was in the spotlight last night.

• Like 2

Jimmy, understand your feelings...but sometimes sentiment gets in the way of the words. I think many of us, if we looked to our innermost feelings, would admit frustration and disappointment that it was our bitter rivals and not Heart that was in the spotlight last night.

we have the prestige game tonight :)

To be fair, our very first game was against Everton, however it needs to happen regularly rather than 'preparing' by playing only easy-beat regional and VPL teams

Edited by belaguttman

Liverpool was in the spotlight last night. MV was just an extra.

Let's terminate JA because he didn't shamelessly plug us during a match that had zero to do with us. Ffs.

People saying we need new management and ownership because the current lot have no ambition. All I've seen is ambition. A commitment to loosen the purse strings, the restructuring of the AAMI Park seating plan, securing a shit load of FTA games, allowing members to bring friends into the active area, the high fitness based pre-season, moving away from la trobe, Multiple European trips for many staff members for education and scouting, trying to get all our signings done as early as possible so the team can gel, Harry Kewell, chasing various marquee targets hard. Sure they haven't grab one yet but that's life and the reality of the A-League.

The club has done so much right this off-season but some sad people will never be happy. I swear people in general go out and look for things to be mad at or offended by.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3

The winner's last night:

-liverpool

-liverpool merchandise sales

-anyone who owned a pub/hotel around the area

-the Victorian government cashing in on the game, as well as the MCG

That's it. The game did nothing for the a-league or for victory. I would put my house on us signing more members tonight than victory signed last night.

Can't recall one Heart reference from JA tonight on 7 mate for the Liverpool game. Saw plenty of opportunities where he could have snuck a sneaky Heart reference in...but alas. Bridges mentioned the Jets several times. Opportunity missed I guess

Obviously didn't watch from the start of the telecast - he mentioned us twice in the first three minutes with very little context.

• Like 1

To be fair, our very first game was against Everton, however it needs to happen regularly rather than 'preparing' by playing only easy-beat regional and VPL teams

Seriously who do you expect us to play?

Premier League All-Stars, anything less is a failure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy, understand your feelings...but sometimes sentiment gets in the way of the words. I think many of us, if we looked to our innermost feelings, would admit frustration and disappointment that it was our bitter rivals and not Heart that was in the spotlight last night. we have the prestige game tonight :)

To be fair, our very first game was against Everton, however it needs to happen regularly rather than 'preparing' by playing only easy-beat regional and VPL teams Seriously who do you expect us to play?

Premier League All-Stars, anything less is a failure.

World All Stars (ft. Barton & Zois) 

Other HAL teams, an overseas tour to somewhere like Japan or Korea perhaps. We can improve more by playing teams that are better than us that we can by playing teams like LaTrobe or even VPL teams.

If you haven't heard, we will be playing Brisbane towards the end of the month and we might be playing Adelaide a few weeks before the season starts.

Yes I did know, those are games that will give us meaningful information by creating problems for the team to solve. They'll be able to benchmark us and tell us what we are doing well and where we need to improve. 2 meaningful games really isn't enough, especially as these games tell us nothing useful and can create a false sense of confidence.

If you haven't heard, we will be playing Brisbane towards the end of the month and we might be playing Adelaide a few weeks before the season starts.

Yes I did know, those are games that will give us meaningful information by creating problems for the team to solve. They'll be able to benchmark us and tell us what we are doing well and where we need to improve. 2 meaningful games really isn't enough, especially as these games tell us nothing useful and can create a false sense of confidence.

I know we are still well off topic but it is hard for a club like ours to go and do a tour of Japan or Korea obviously because of $$$$

I'm not sure if you guys remember but there was 'Festival of Football' a number of years ago in Sydney where they played Rangers, Blackburn and AEK Athens in some friendlies which got some decent crowds,

I wouldn't mind Heart trying to bring in this concept, would be good to test ourselves against some quality opponents unlike some of the teams we are playing at the moment (no disrespect), and would also promote our club, and provided you get the opposition right, could bring in a lot of $$$$. I would love to see Heart take on some solid teams in Europe e.g. Celtic, Mid table EPL sides etc during the long off seson and would give the club some valuable exposure. 

I know we are still well off topic but it is hard for a club like ours to go and do a tour of Japan or Korea obviously because of $$$$

I'm not sure if you guys remember but there was 'Festival of Football' a number of years ago in Sydney where they played Rangers, Blackburn and AEK Athens in some friendlies which got some decent crowds,

I wouldn't mind Heart trying to bring in this concept, would be good to test ourselves against some quality opponents unlike some of the teams we are playing at the moment (no disrespect), and would also promote our club, and provided you get the opposition right, could bring in a lot of $$$$. I would love to see Heart take on some solid teams in Europe e.g. Celtic, Mid table EPL sides etc during the long off seson and would give the club some valuable exposure. 

Took my nephew to that tournament. He was a mad AFL Fan, now he follows every single league in Europe.

This is how you get new fans to the ALeague.

This is what Hearts needs. A tournament like this. Team from England, Greece and Italy.

Even if it's not teams from the big leagues it could work. Olympiakos/Panathinaikos/AEK, an oil rich team from Qatar or the UAE with a well known player (i.e Bresciano or Raul) and a Indian/Vietnamese  team. Target demographic's that are likely to appeal to the people of Melbourne. The standard may not be world class but it will be better than playing VPL and representative sides.

Paying big bucks to get an EPL or Serie A side is pointless if you're going to be playing at AAMI Park and have to bump up ticket prices that no-one wants to pay to see a practice match. 

4 team comp.

Heart, Hudjuk/Dinamo, Olympiakos/Panathinaikos/AEK and then Someone like a Celtic/Rangers, Westham/Everton or other midtable epl eam even a Turkish team

Even if it's not teams from the big leagues it could work. Olympiakos/Panathinaikos/AEK, an oil rich team from Qatar or the UAE with a well known player (i.e Bresciano or Raul) and a Indian/Vietnamese  team. Target demographic's that are likely to appeal to the people of Melbourne. The standard may not be world class but it will be better than playing VPL and representative sides.

Paying big bucks to get an EPL or Serie A side is pointless if you're going to be playing at AAMI Park and have to bump up ticket prices that no-one wants to pay to see a practice match. 

This.

4 team comp.

Heart, Hudjuk/Dinamo, Olympiakos/Panathinaikos/AEK and another decently popluar mid level euro team (Besiktas, Celtic, Roma) Not too big like liverpool where they become the specticle but big enough to make it an event. Even a MLS team like NY or LA? All games played at Ammi.

Even a 3 team comp like the Guadiana Tournament could work.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

AFAIK these matches/tournaments are organised by promoters, not the clubs. They do it purely for the money, as do various other interested parties such as the governments and semi-government agencies such as tourist associations etc. They draw mainly on the Euro-snob set, and that's why ticket prices are exorbitant.

Personally I would be more interested in the club setting up a match between Heart and a Euro team that plays in a league with a midseason-break, played around Christmas/NewYear. We ought to be able to do this with our Dutch connections. Might not completely fill AAMI Park, but would be a bit of a treat for loyal Heart fans. We could call it the Friendship Cup or similar, and play every second year or something like that.

Heart HQ has worked hard to get Engelaar, so I'm sure it's within their capabilities.

• Like 2

Took my nephew to that tournament. He was a mad AFL Fan, now he follows every single league in Europe.

This is how you get new fans to the ALeague.

This is what Hearts needs. A tournament like this. Team from England, Greece and Italy.

I would've said a team from England, Greece and Holland since they have such a big presence!

You could call it the:

"Red or Dead Football Tournament" consisting of four red and white teams; Heart, Olympiacos, Stoke/Sunderland/Southampton and PSV/Ajax! Haha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how many of you remember but there was a rumor going around that Aloisi had the first 6 games of this season to show improvement or he is gone. Did anyone happen to find any evidence that this is actually true? Cause if Engelaar is out for a long period and as he said, he wanted to base our game around him....It's not looking good...

Edited by Dylan

I do find it funny how some of you guys are calling for JA's head because a player got injured.

I remember that a fair few of you were critical when HK didn't make an appearance in the Shepparton game. Most wanting him to play atleast the last 15 minutes.

What Orlando has done isn't a result of his condition it was just a freak accident

If people are complaining about the result. Brisbane were pretty much at full strength and although disappointing our first pre season match against decent opposition.

• Like 5

I do find it funny how some of you guys are calling for JA's head because a player got injured.

I remember that a fair few of you were critical when HK didn't make an appearance in the Shepparton game. Most wanting him to play atleast the last 15 minutes.

What Orlando has done isn't a result of his condition it was just a freak accident

If people are complaining about the result. Brisbane were pretty much at full strength and although disappointing our first pre season match against decent opposition.

Good point... However...

Sack Aloisi.

• Like 1

It's ridiculous to renew calls for JA to go based on Engelaar's injury.

However, IMO it's still valid to question JA's ability as a coach. So Brisbane were pretty much at full strength, but we weren't. Perhaps the question that comes out of that is " two months into pre-season why weren't we at something like full strength?" And IMO there are valid questions (as there were last season) as to JA's management of the bench. If we were really having a look at the squad in terms of the A-League starting XI, then why not bring on Ramsay etc. at half-time instead of 15 minutes from the end? And if we're seriously looking at McGrath as a signing, why not give him longer to have a look at him (and conversely if we're not seriously looking at him then why play him at all?). And we seem unable to contain any sort of aggressive CF such as Berisha or Smeltz. Another question I have is why we seem to have absolutely no back-up for Walker at RB.

Whatever the extent of Engelaar's injury he's likely to be out for a while so IMO the biggest question of all is "what is our Plan B?" 13 months ago Patrick Gerhardt was touted as our DM, so is it now time for him to play there alongside Murdocca, with Wielaert and Vranks as CBs? Surely that's still a pretty good line-up? 

We still have plenty of talent in the squad. We can make two more signings, we can sign an injury replacement, we can sign a guest player...all is not lost.

There's an old saying that when the going gets tough that's when the tough get going. This season was always going to be a test of JA's coaching credentials and the club's resolve to be more competitive. Orlando's injury just makes those tests more intense.

• Like 1

It's one thing wanting to do a job, another is being able to do it.

I don't doubt for a minute JA is trying his best.

No one at that level wakes up in the morning and says. " I'm going to work to do a bad job today"

Some of us question his ability to run first team with the current level of experience under his belt.

I believe that no matter how much he thinks he is ready......... He isn't.

In the ranks of high performance coaches he is only a junior burger.

Another 3 or 4 years under a watchful eye of a senior, proven leader JA would be better equipped with skills needed to run first team A

While he says " I the man for the job at heart"

and the club administration supports this view, we will languish in mediocrity in terms of on field performance.

This will have an adverse effect on membership numbers and club's growth.

We all know winning culture makes every thing fall in place.

• Like 1