Melbourne Football

Round 5: City V Brisbane Meow @ Suncorp 24 Nov 7:50pm

xXCiTyZeNXx

Dismal.

Positives:

The ref was very good

Negatives:

Last season we played excruciating football, but at least we could defend. Our defence this season is poorly positioned, we are clueless at defending set pieces, teams easily get behind us, we have too much space between the lines, we don't track players.

Out 'attack' is disorganised and aimless, slow and lacks depth. We have no discernable attacking plan.

Our coaching is poor and has been poor since CFG have taken control of the franchise. We started with a coach that couldn't defend, now we have a coach that can't attack or defend.

The players are going through the motions

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You are and you are doing it again.  Bruno in his good days was setting up his own attacks in midfield. The fact is that he misses too many one on ones, penalties and other opportunities - given he is on a million dollars, it is poor.  It was also observed his work rate on the pitch dropped significantly. Saying we could have used him tonight as we have other replacement.

Yes, I'm doing it again, I'm saying that you can't look at Bruno without looking at the structure around him and the way that the team plays. I'm not claiming that he's having his best season, only that the reasons for a poor season are all around him and in the coach's box

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, I'm doing it again, I'm saying that you can't look at Bruno without looking at the structure around him and the way that the team plays. I'm not claiming that he's having his best season, only that the reasons for a poor season are all around him and in the coach's box

You are correct but I still expect more from a marquee sorry, he is hopeless out of form regardless of the system. Perhaps look at Bruno career scoring record, was season one an exception or the standard?

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

You are correct but I still expect more from a marquee sorry, he is hopeless out of form regardless of the system. Perhaps look at Bruno career scoring record, was season one an exception or the standard?

Sure, who is playing any better? In any case, it's likely to be academic, if he's crossed Wazza he's unlikely to feature again this season

Edited by belaguttman

10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Sure, who is playing any better? In any case, it's likely to be academic, if he's crossed Wazza he's unlikely to feature again this season

We haven’t recruited any other strikers and our other marquee is a RB so I can’t tell you who is playing better on the same money or position. Wazza is not impressed with his work rate on the pitch as it’s not there anymore and then if you don’t score goals and miss sitters, yeah I can image Warren Joyce is not your friend. I don’t think Warren Joyce has many adult friends anyway.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

We haven’t recruited any other strikers and other marquee is RB so I can’t tell you who playing better on the same money or position. Wazza is not impressed with his work rate on the pitch as it’s not there anymore and then if you don’t score goals and miss sitters, yeah I can image Warren Joyce is not your friend. I don’t think Warren Joyce has many adult friends anyway.

...as many as the Liberal Party, probably

Haven’t been this angry about a City performance since.. the Sydney game...

I used to worry about us keeping clean sheets in our matches, but it was ok as at least we tried to score- now, not only are we pissweak at the back despite picking up several players and a more defensive minded boss, but we also look useless in the final third. I have absolutely no confidence in us ever scoring, and celebrating goals at AAMI Park is now sadly more a result of surprise than joy.

The Bruno decision is baffling. He’s out of form, yes, but he’s the only true striker we have at the club. Dropping him and not even including him on the bench (if fit) is absolutely ridiculous, and it showed tonight as we looked toothless going forward the whole game and we really could have used him as a sub chasing the game late. If this was a disciplinary thing by Joyce then it shows how woefully unprepared he is as a senior manager - dropping players to make an example may work with the kids, but I don’t think senior players will react well to it, and if track record is anything to go by may actually have a significant negative impact (*cough* Cahill *cough*)

I wouldn't claim to know what the fundamental problem is, or how to fix it, but there is something horribly wrong at our club. It was clear against CCM, it was bloody obvious with big red lights flashing against Sydney, and it's written in neon capitals tonight. The Wellington result just papered over the cracks. On present form, given that we can draw with the Mariners and beat Wellington at home, but don't appear capable of much else, I'd say eighth or ninth might be where we are headed. This season could feasibly destroy this club. 

Not sure what I'm more stunned about. Paying $65 to sit through that with the family, or the Victorian election result.

Both were noncompetitive floggings!

I've said it before, but this time I think CFG have finally broken me.

If this club had any decency, they'd refund the admission at least for those poor bastards on the fence below us that travelled up for that.

Fair play to the players coming over after the match, but they should be ashamed of themselves.

15 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Brattan dropped. Caceras dropped. Now Bruno dropped tonight. Wazza has lost the dressing room. 

He's lost the fucking plot!

• Sad 1

I'm struggling to understand Wazza's thinking here:

Bruno gets dropped for whatever reason

Wazza plays a winger as a striker and keeps our backup strikers on the bench

OK, Najjarine is young, perhaps the idea is to bring him on from the bench when we are chasing the game (as is inevitable when you play with a sieve defence and no striker) but then brings on Najjarine and plays him as a winger.

23 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

OK, Najjarine is young, perhaps the idea is to bring him on from the bench when we are chasing the game (as is inevitable when you play with a sieve defence and no striker) but then brings on Najjarine and plays him as a winger.

Najjarine is a winger though

Is it bad that I had a function on last night and didn't even care to check the result until someone told me? 

This club had slowly beaten my enthusiasm out of me. I watch every other round game on the weekend more intently because ours have become so dire and boring to sit through. Genuinely cannot wait to watch for Sydney v Victory, because you know it'll be a genuine battle, not the shit we dish up year in, year out.

12 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

So who thinks Wales should have been awarded a penalty?

I don’t, he produced a perfect layoff - just shit finishing from Berenguer. I have to say, Wales  did show some promising signs, the kid has bulked up a lot since last season. 

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Najjarine is a winger. He always plays on the wing. Mostly left Wing. If you are suggesting Najjarine play up front then possibly you are confusing him with Najare, who is a 9. 

One of the commentators on Fox said it best. We have far too many players who are of the same mould and playing style ie midfielders. 

Griffiths, Malik, caceras, brattan, mcgree, Baccus, Vidosic, Berenguer, and youth, Metcalfe, Lesiotis, Cavallo, Abduhahi... i am sure there are more. Yes i know they are a collection of 6. 8 and 10. But in essence all midfielders. 

What we need is the pacy go forward classic wingers and bruno back at 9. Plus someone playing 10 who is happy to provide him with service (ie not mcgee who only wants to score himself, not a bad thing but it puts a 9 out of form very quickly). O halloran injury replacement was another midfielder. A boring ball passing 6. we needed a winger. Yes i know that this has all been pointed out. But the fact is you cannot keep putting midfielders onto wing, or outside mid positions and expect to have an all out attacking style. An know i hear Joyce wants to keep Baccus. I am sorry but he needs to go along with Larocca and get a couple of wingers to give us some go forward. Joyce has this idea that midfielders are the most versatile players and i think his rational is that they have more utility purpose in a salary capped league. Joyce believes that, in this way, injuries and players loss of form will not impact on the team because all the players can play any role. That might have an element of truth. But the players will not be experts in the roles they are least familiar with. They might be functional, but functional doesn't threaten quality opposition and worry their defences. And it doesnt allow the players to express themselves in their most natural and skilled position. Joyce is providing us a mid table player selection. We will beat the minnows and be humiliated by the top teams. (who BTW always have their players in the best and preferred positions). 

we will finish 5th if we keep going down this track. And Joyce will go at the end of the year. 

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Dismal.

Positives:

The ref was very good

Negatives:

Last season we played excruciating football, but at least we could defend. Our defence this season is poorly positioned, we are clueless at defending set pieces, teams easily get behind us, we have too much space between the lines, we don't track players.

Out 'attack' is disorganised and aimless, slow and lacks depth. We have no discernable attacking plan.

Our coaching is poor and has been poor since CFG have taken control of the franchise. We started with a coach that couldn't defend, now we have a coach that can't attack or defend.

The players are going through the motions

One positive was Wales, I thought he did pretty well and had one of his best games.

Blinding obvious negatives for me was too much space between the lines, at times there must have been 40 metres between defence and midfield, or midfield and attack.

Lack of movement.

players out of position, I even think Atkinson has been shoehorned onto the wing, he looks a lot better central.

• Like 1

Confusing isn't it?  The selections, the omissions.

Not really.

This club exists primarily to identify, target and sign up the best Australian youth under the CFG unbrella.  ACL is nice but not essential. 

So if you want this club to continue, keep hoping more kids find their way to CFG, because that's why it exists.

Me.  I'm meh.  Heart beat the care factor out of me, so i just take a passive interest.  The A-League as whole is on life-support anyway.  No-one wants to admit it yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Heart beat the care factor out of me, so i just take a passive interest.  The A-League as whole is on life-support anyway.  No-one wants to admit it yet

I’m the opposite I cared a lot about Heart loosing or winning, I was kind of proud of our little  club with no resources. The way now City recruits, plays and handles the fan base made me loose interest year by year.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3