Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

7 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Why not just increase the cap?

Several reasons, but they mostly come down to where the cost lands. Like the A-League, MLS has franchise owners who spend and some who can barely pay the rent. In general, the ones with little money are the earliest entrants to the league - I guess you could say that that's no surprise when you examine how much the buy-in fee to join the league has super-inflated. However, unlike the A-League, MLS is a single entity league. The league owns all the teams - not just their right to play, as in Australia, but their trademarks, their marketing presence and their players. If you lose your franchise you cannot simply look for another league to transfer your registration to, you simply no longer own a club. 

The way MLS operates this is to centralise everything. All merchandise, for example, is league-owned and operated and all revenue from it is divided equally. If one team generated 50% of the merch income, they would get not a penny more than a club who didn't sell a single item. Also, as mentioned, the players are owned and paid by the league, not the clubs - the league even independently handles all transfer negotiations, including whether to accept bids for players or what price to acquire them for. The teams can make requests on these items but cannot make demands. For the same reason, players cannot be sold between clubs, they can only be traded for other players, allocation money, international player slots, etc. They only this year introduced free agency, but it's very limited. Players are not free to pick which club they join, the league tells them where to go in accordance with the drafts they operate. 

Going back to the actual question, the clubs agree to pay the league the amount of salary that they share spending, including DP salaries. These are costs they directly pay, reducing league expenditure. Allocation money does not have to be paid by the clubs, meaning it is less controversial for the clubs with little money behind them who are arguing for the salary cap to be frozen, not increased. You could argue that it is just money that could otherwise be passed back to the clubs, but unlike leagues where the clubs have a say in the operation of the league, there's no such obligation in MLS so they wouldn't anyway. Allocation Money is just a nicety the league offers to its clubs to encourage them to get better players, and to encourage them to pay the top American stars well enough to (hopefully) persuade them not to go abroad. 

Now that I write this, it does suggest to me that the differences between MLS and the A-League mean that allocation money would not work properly, but still. It's a good system for the environment it exists in. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 28 May 2015 at 11:40 PM, Tesla said:

I think CFG should "make a statement" and sign the man once known as "Dave".

Yes, Ki.

Now that lad would take the league by storm & Id expect to win the dunny seat.

Hey, as several wise men on herehave already said (about their own suggestions) "it's not my money"

Here's an interesting one for you guys to debate. There's been a lot of talk all over the forum of late that Bruno should get Koren's marquee place when he is released at the end of the season. I completely agree with this. However as we are 90% sure that Mooy will also leave at the end of the season, that obviously leaves us with another open marquee spot. What does eveeyone think about Mooy's marquee spot being taken by Novillo?

We've seen with Koren what can go wrong by signing an unproven A League marquee, and Tuna and Harry are proving to be the best combination in the league, almost as good as Broich and Berisha in Roars winning years. Both of them are among the best players in the league and both have been playing well enough to demand mega bucks. What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Here's an interesting one for you guys to debate. There's been a lot of talk all over the forum of late that Bruno should get Koren's marquee place when he is released at the end of the season. I completely agree with this. However as we are 90% sure that Mooy will also leave at the end of the season, that obviously leaves us with another open marquee spot. What does eveeyone think about Mooy's marquee spot being taken by Novillo?

We've seen with Koren what can go wrong by signing an unproven A League marquee, and Tuna and Harry are proving to be the best combination in the league, almost as good as Broich and Berisha in Roars winning years. Both of them are among the best players in the league and both have been playing well enough to demand mega bucks. What are your thoughts?

Well, if both Bruno and Novillo get decent offers from European teams (and Mooy leaves), wouldn't mind making them the marquee players. 

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Yes yes yes.

Like i said in another thread they are both the keys for us doing a lot of damage in this league.

9 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Well, if both Bruno and Novillo get decent offers from European teams (and Mooy leaves), wouldn't mind making them the marquee players. 

Agree with this.

But it must be said as well that the club puts itself in a spot of bother when it signs a dud marquee. When the likes of Koren, who can't even make the bloody match-day squad on merit, is getting paid around $1 million bucks a season, and Fornroli and Novillo are on 1/3 of that (and probably less), it's fully understandable for them to wonder why they are not getting paid more.

This is actually a really important reason why A-League clubs should sign players who are un-debatable marquees in the first place (like Del Piero, Ono and Engelaar) that won't turn out to be duds (like Koren), so the marquee spots are fully used and the team has some quality Visa players too, who understand why they aren't on marquee money: because there is a noticeable difference in class between those Visa players and the marquees.

Hopefully our club gets the the marquee spots right soon, so there is zero chance of the Broich and Berisha dilemma at Brisbane of a few seasons ago (where Berisha left for Victory for marquee money) happening here. Mooy undoubtedly deserves his marquee spot (more goals scored and assisted in total than either Fornaroli or Novillo), so hopefully the other marquee spot gets sorted out soon, so every player in the team like Fornaroli and Novillo can have a spot in the team they are happy with.

postscript: There's reputed to be a TV deal in the works that could well be completed before next season, possibly a 50% to 100% increase on the current revenue the FFA/Australian association football gets. If an improved TV deal happens, then there will be a clear flow on effect with an increased salary cap, and Melbourne City could give Fornaroli and Novillo deserved pay increases inside the cap. Hopefully this everyone-wins scenario occurs before next season, and these marquee discussions become unnecessary (and then Melbourne City could sign 2 quality marquees alongside Fornaroli and Novillo. That's a team you'd pay decent money to watch every season!).

• Like 1

The issue of marquee signing is an interesting one. Marquee as in undoubtedly superior player who has played in the top leagues with title winning clubs and with name recognition such as ADP or Ono; OR, marquee as in being paid outside the salary cap such as Berisha who was unknown when he arrived.

If Mooy does depart (as I expect him to) then I would prefer for straight replacement with someone of equal quality that can be paid outside the cap. That is I don't particularly care whether he is a name or not, he just has to be effective.

Now, personally I think that Mooy, Novillo and Fornaroli depend on each other and we are seeing the results of their combined training and play making. If we take Mooy out of the team altogether will they be as effective? Sure I am all for making sure that they remain at the club long term but I also believe that they need a mid-field general to be effective.

I am not particularly worried that either Fornaroli or Novillo will end up in Europe. Fornaroli has been there before and for whatever reason didn't make it. Novillo had been in the French system for a long time and we know that he had issues with the clubs. Europe has plenty of kids that want their chance and failing that plenty of talent to select from the non-european leagues. I suspect that clubs will just overlook them. Where I think that these two players would be tempted would be China, the MLS and of course the petro-leagues. That is where the offers will come from.

22 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

postscript: There's reputed to be a TV deal in the works that could well be completed before next season, possibly a 50% to 100% increase on the current revenue the FFA/Australian association football gets. If an improved TV deal happens, then there will be a clear flow on effect with an increased salary cap, and Melbourne City could give Fornaroli and Novillo deserved pay increases inside the cap. Hopefully this everyone-wins scenario occurs before next season, and these marquee discussions become unnecessary (and then Melbourne City could sign 2 quality marquees alongside Fornaroli and Novillo. That's a team you'd pay decent money to watch every season!).

That would be huge. Really hope it comes off.

On 09/01/2016 at 2:38 PM, Murfy1 said:

There's reputed to be a TV deal in the works that could well be completed before next season, possibly a 50% to 100% increase on the current revenue.

Where did you hear this from? What is the current deal worth (is it 160m over 4yrs)?

Edited by MHFC-FAN

5 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Where did you hear this from? What is the current deal worth (is it 160m over 4yrs)?

Correct the current deal is $40m a season (160 over 4 yrs).

Some of the reports are here:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/new-tv-deal-could-underpin-expansion-to-12team-aleague-by-2017/news-story/dc5f6e7870b1a3e856c76590c70dde9f

http://www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv/football-federation-australia-considers-new-tvdeal-20150111-12m3my

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/channel-nine-keen-to-show-saturday-night-aleague-matches/news-story/b9ff63d5a25c949cdc587f7c70888a50

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-the-game-must-move-to-a-major-freetoair-channel-to-compete-20151222-gltfat.html

The proposed new TV deal has been estimated to be worth $80m a season. Although after this season I'd wager the deal might be a little less, but it still should be a very significant increase on the present deal.

As the last report mentions a TV deal was in the works to replace SBS with Channel 10 this season, but due to red tape the deal didn't get over the line before the season started. So it looks like there's momentum for a new TV deal to be announced before next season, before the current deal expires in 2016-17 (at the end of next season). 

Anyway that's a sketch of the details reported on the TV deal. I'd say it's just a matter of time before a significantly improved TV deal is announced, and there's a chance it could get done before next season starts.

The new TV deal will be nowhere near double.  If they get $60 million/year they are lucky

Besides I believe we are entering a cycle where the FFA is chasing its tail with regards to money with no improvement to the bottom line of the association or A-League club owners.

What will-and has happened- is that with more money available the players stick their hands out for even more, the stadiums likewise.  T

We already had one of the most expensive national teams at the World Cup in 2010 and 2014.  Lets get real here: this was a squad of players who were playing in lower leagues if they were playing at all, and in 2014 failed to earn a single point and conceded nine goals and scored 3.

Instead of using the additional money to bring in quality imports- like the A-League did in the early years eg Yorke Kazu Carbone Juninho ADP Heskey Ono- the PFA have stitched up the FFA with giving rubbish locals pay rises instead

This year the matildas negotiated massive pay increase and conditions yet they bring in next to nothing in revenue.

Ticket prices rise as owners try to break even which makes it cost almost as much to watch an A-League game as it does an EPL game.  The FFA screws grass roots to meet the demands of the PFA-yes your 12 year old is paying some of Matt Simon's wages.

Get rid of the salary floor the salary cap and foreigner restrictions.  Otherwise the A-league will remain the third rate league it is regardless of new TV deal money.

• Like 2

Any suggestion that we could retain Bruno under the cap next season is crazy talk. The guy is as good as any striker in the history of this league, if not better. I'm sure he'd feel shafted if the club denied him marquee status next season and let's be honest- who could blame him? Not only is the prickly pear sublimely skilled but he sets the standard for defensive pressure week in, week out. He is a known quantity, plenty of players with large reputations have wilted in the Australian sun and many more will continue to do so. 

On the other hand I'm not sure about Novillo. Whilst he is incredibly damaging when on song there are still games where he swans around looking disinterested. He is also quite lucky to have stayed on the pitch after a couple of brain fades + there's the history of serious soft tissue injuries. Well paid but under the cap would be my preference for Harry.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Imperial Pints said:

Any suggestion that we could retain Bruno under the cap next season is crazy talk. The guy is as good as any striker in the history of this league, if not better. I'm sure he'd feel shafted if the club denied him marquee status next season and let's be honest- who could blame him? Not only is the prickly pear sublimely skilled but he sets the standard for defensive pressure week in, week out. He is a known quantity, plenty of players with large reputations have wilted in the Australian sun and many more will continue to do so. 

On the other hand I'm not sure about Novillo. Whilst he is incredibly damaging when on song there are still games where he swans around looking disinterested. He is also quite lucky to have stayed on the pitch after a couple of brain fades + there's the history of serious soft tissue injuries. Well paid but under the cap would be my preference for Harry.

Yeah we saw how it worked with Mooy. Some Asian club comes in with say $3M+ transfer fee for Tuna & whispers to his manager $1.5M/year. Next thing you know that manager is in with Munn negotiating Tunas new marquee contract.

20 + goals per season is worth a marquee contract.  

Bruno is definitely in line for a new deal next season without question. How much really depends on the 2 marquee spots. 

There is a possibility we could land 2 amazing new marquees and that would leave Novillo and Fornaroli under the cap. If that could be done then wow.

Exciting times just contemplating what might be and not half baked pipe dreams but genuine outcomes. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jovan said:

20 + goals per season is worth a marquee contract.  

Bruno is definitely in line for a new deal next season without question. How much really depends on the 2 marquee spots. 

There is a possibility we could land 2 amazing new marquees and that would leave Novillo and Fornaroli under the cap. If that could be done then wow.

Exciting times just contemplating what might be and not half baked pipe dreams but genuine outcomes. 

I don't think the club would be doing the right thing to base marquee status on half a season. As the rules stand you don't get a second chance with a marquee - as we have seen with Koren. There's a long way to go this season, for the team and for individuals such as Tuna and Harry N. If you go though the list of players already contracted for next season you can see the task that Michael Petrillo, JD and van 't Schip have ahead of them to get the balance right.

IMO KK's post above hits a number of nails right on the head. It's absurd that as fast as you develop or find a good player the odds are against you keeping him. These caps and associated rules ultimately have to go, and it's time to start making sensible moves to abolishing them. We're very lucky that CFG have invested in Melbourne and the League the way they have, because at the moment they're pretty well hamstrung with every move that they want to make to get a return on their investment.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, neio said:

Would be an absolute star and a cult figure, but I'd so there is almost no chance he will leave the money he is on in UAE

That hair is worth the coin alone, though I'd rather Carlos Valderrama instead...

Interesting to see he has trialed with Man City in the past and has also had knee injuries though.

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Someone has reported on 442 that, from a good source, we may be getting https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michu

I'm not sure what I think about this. Thing is, since his one amazing season in Swansea, he's done a grand total of nothing with his career. The fact that he's currently playing for a fourth tier amateur club says it all.

6 minutes ago, Falastur said:

I'm not sure what I think about this. Thing is, since his one amazing season in Swansea, he's done a grand total of nothing with his career. The fact that he's currently playing for a fourth tier amateur club says it all.

Bruno and Harry's careers had also stalled before coming here.

• Like 2

I have no idea who we might sign as a marquee or guest player. I just hope that name and reputation are not the main criteria, and it's the way the guy plays, a hard work ethic, and how he will complement the players we already have are more important criteria - as we have seen with Bruno Fornaroli.

• Like 2