Melbourne Football

Iain Ramsay

Tesla

87th. minute -  receives a great crossfield pass from Mooy just outside the 18 yards box. Ramsay then tries to take on Pepper who dispossesses him.

87:30 - receives the ball, then with a poor touch pushes the ball metres in front of him, runs on to it and then shoots wildly at goal from outside the 18 yards box.

90:56 runs with the ball on our left, twice pushing it metres in front of him. Squares the ball to Williams who had made good position in the 18 yards box and misses Williams by metres.

".... He penned a two-year deal and starts his Heart contract in June.

"We have a talented group of younger players who are growing together and Iain will complement them well," Aloisi said.

"He has great qualities as a footballer and as a competitor.

"He is hungry to succeed and will really add an important dimension and depth down the flanks."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/iain-ramsay-leaves-adelaide-united-for-melbourne-heart/story-fndejmex-1226615305510?nk=fea0586cd443d9addaa935504e4a0e5a

Ramsay was an Aloisi signing.

That deal started in June 2013 according to this article.

It would be nice if we could move him on this January.

Apparently we have a young player in Dekker who is scoring for fun in the NYL team.

So why not have him on the bench instead of Ramsay?

Simple. Manchester City signs him in January, so he's off our books. Then Manchester City loans him to a Conference team.

• Like 1

Classic example of our shite front 3 later in the Newcastle match

Willo took a shot from just out side the D

not a bad shot that the keeper couldn't control, ball bobbled away a metre or two in from of him

no one following in

the replay showed Rambo and Mate like statues on the edge of the box

you are told in Under 10's that you follow in a shot, precisely for the keeper not holding the ball

It would have been an easy tap in for either Rambo or Mate

Classic example of our shite front 3 later in the Newcastle match

Willo took a shot from just out side the D

not a bad shot that the keeper couldn't control, ball bobbled away a metre or two in from of him

no one following in

the replay showed Rambo and Mate like statues on the edge of the box

you are told in Under 10's that you follow in a shot, precisely for the keeper not holding the ball

It would have been an easy tap in for either Rambo or Mate

Precisely what I said after the shot was taken. Muppets.

Edited: It was Ramsey and Duff, not Mate, but really it should have been Ramsey as he was directly in front of the keeper.

Edited by n i k o

The disparity in talent within our starting 11 is still far too wide.

I mean we're going from EPL quality with players like Duff and Koren, and very high quality with players like Mooy to a Ramsay who imo would battle to get a regular game in England in League 2.

The whole league is like that. It comes down to your favourite thing in the world, the salary cap. Obviously the two marquees are going to be of a much higher quality, then teams will usually spend a large chunk of salary cap on another one or two players of a pretty good quality, then it's really downhill from there.

EG we have Koren as marquee, Duff taking a huge chunk of the salary cap, Mooy would also be on a decent amount, then you have to fill the rest of the team up on low salary.

• Like 1

The disparity in talent within our starting 11 is still far too wide.

I mean we're going from EPL quality with players like Duff and Koren, and very high quality with players like Mooy to a Ramsay who imo would battle to get a regular game in England in League 2.

The whole league is like that. It comes down to your favourite thing in the world, the salary cap. Obviously the two marquees are going to be of a much higher quality, then teams will usually spend a large chunk of salary cap on another one or two players of a pretty good quality, then it's really downhill from there.

EG we have Koren as marquee, Duff taking a huge chunk of the salary cap, Mooy would also be on a decent amount, then you have to fill the rest of the team up on low salary.

All leagues are like that. The top 10 footballers are miles ahead of the next 10 and so on. There is only so much talent that a team can have or for that matter sport. Tennis is a useful comparison and so is cycling.

There are 2 competing truisms in recruiting:

Football is a 'weakest link' game and so favours a team with good balance across all positions as the weakest player on the team will be targeted by opposition tactics, In this case it pays to avoid players like Ramsay as they create vulnerabilities for the team as a whole (if the opponent is competent) irrespective of the performance of others.

Key players can change the outcome of the game through moments of 'individual brilliance'. This is what we all come to see but there are few Zlatans or Messis. The cost of hiring a player for these moments impacts on the overall balance of the team recruiting and is the reason why very ordinary players like Ramsay and Hoffman are necessary.

Its very hard to get the balance, spec ally when you have to factor in team player depth across the season.

Now AFAIK Ramsay made it to the bench on the weekend but did not get game time. Yet he is still copping shit. At a glance from the weekend's result you could easily say that Ramsay is not at fault for the way the team played nor for the loss. IIRC he did play for all of the previous non-losing streak so maybe he is the talisman for the side.

Now AFAIK Ramsay made it to the bench on the weekend but did not get game time. Yet he is still copping shit. At a glance from the weekend's result you could easily say that Ramsay is not at fault for the way the team played nor for the loss. IIRC he did play for all of the previous non-losing streak so maybe he is the talisman for the side.

Tando got a red card to make sure Rambo couldn't get on. Took one for the team. Legend.

• Like 1

Whether Ramsey plays or not, I still blame him for any loss.

• Like 1

He is the Hoffman of Season 2 and 3!

He is the Hoffman of Season 2 and 3!

Hang on a minute! You're suggesting in no time Ramsay will replace Hoffman as our MVP. Wow we are truly cooked.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he actually played well apart from his shocking misses

it was the best he has done this season and if he had actually scored one, i get the feeling people would feel at least a bit better about him being at the club.  

sadly tho, for all his puff and huff and all he did well - the misses he had are pretty unforgivable for fans.  

given he is at the club until the end of the season, i hope he manages to prove himself so at the very least he shows that he can in some way shape or form that he is capable at the a league level.  and, as you say, most of what he did tonight is a step in the right direction.  

he just wont win fans with misses like the two bad ones tonight

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3

If that performance is the barometer for A-League standard every bloke from State League 3 upwards should be on trial in the off season. Can't beat an opponent 1v1, can't cross, can't pass, can't tackle and can't put the ball into an empty net. Being quick just doesn't cut it, the bloke never has and never will be good enough to be in a team that has any aspirations to win anything.

• Like 4

"Iain Ramsay inexplicably missed the easiest of tap ins - his third gilt-edged chance"
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-extend-western-sydney-wanderers-winless-run-with-a-2-1-victory-at-aami-park/story-e6frf4gl-1227204096330

We'll never go anywhere as a team while we are handicapped with this poorly skilled, slow thinking, lacking vision spud on the pitch. We'd be better off with one player less in our squad than having Ramsay.

Where I sit we're all making Ramsay jokes, such as "He tackled himself" when he loses control of the ball. 

• Like 1

If that performance is the barometer for A-League standard every bloke from State League 3 upwards should be on trial in the off season. Can't beat an opponent 1v1, can't cross, can't pass, can't tackle and can't put the ball into an empty net. Being quick just doesn't cut it, the bloke never has and never will be good enough to be in a team that has any aspirations to win anything.

Hear! Hear!

We were asking, "Would he make Bentleigh Greens?"

How come Ramsay started instead of Williams.

Williams is pretty ordinary, but compared to Ramsay, Williams is a champion.

I thought he actually played well apart from his shocking misses

it was the best he has done this season and if he had actually scored one, i get the feeling people would feel at least a bit better about him being at the club. Not in the slightest. If he had scored he would still be a terrible aleague player.

Now in the context of having a win I'm glad he did miss because it has cemented that Clisby will play left back and Garruccio on the wing.

Edited by n i k o