Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Alex Terra has joined Adrian Zahra at Maltese club Valletta:

Valletta snap up Brazilian wingers

August 31, 2014

Valletta have continued to strengthen their squad with the capture of two Brazilian players, Paulo Candido Serafim de Cruz, aka Lico, and Alex Terra.

The two Brazilian wingers had been on trial with the Citizens for the past fortnight.

It seems that they have left a good impression on coach Gilbert Agius and were offered a one-year contract by the Malta champions.

Both Lico and Terra agreed personal terms with Valletta last week and their registration papers are expected to be filed at the Malta FA offices before tomorrow’s transfer deadline.

Lico, 29, enjoyed spells in his homeland with America Mineiro and Valeirodoce EC before moving to Portugal where he played for SantaClara. Last season he was on the books of FK Vardar of Macedonia.

On his part, Terra played with several Brazilian sides, including Fluminense and Bahia, and in 2012 he moved to Australia where he joined Melbourne Heart.

Last season the much-travelled 31-year-old joined South Korean side Daejon.

Meanwhile, another Brazilian player have agreed to play in the BOV Premier League as Mateus Riberio Dos Santos joined Mosta.

Last week, the 24-year-old agreed to join Italian Serie A outfit Empoli who decided to loan out the player to Mosta for one season.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140831/football/Valletta-snap-up-Brazilian-wingers.533841

I'd say that overall Melbourne Heart young players (that actually were at least occasionally apart of our starting XIs) have gone on to better things, that is they have developed some more as footballers and have improved their reputations (even players like Brendan Hamill, who's returned to Australia, as his years in the K-League have made him a more in demand Australian defender).

I think we haven't seen more players go on to 'better' or noteworthy clubs because the club has signed so few players in their mid-20s (say, b/w 23 and 27) over Melbourne Heart's 4 seasons. We've actually seen a lot of players retire at our club for how few seasons the club has played, such as players like Harry Kewell, Clint Bolton, Vince Grella, John Aloisi and Josip Skoko. Also, we've had a significant amount of players in their twilight years, like Simon Colosimo, who only didn't retire at our club because they stretched out their careers by going to far-flung football destinations, like Colosimo did with Dempo S.C. in India. 

As long as our club lifts its overall standard of recruiting, as I believe it has this season, and signs more players like Aaron Mooy and James Brown in their football prime in their mid-20s (and less players in their 30s in their twilight years), I'm sure we'll see more players go on to interesting clubs after leaving Melbourne City (BTW, no matter what you think of Brown, if he's like the average footballer he'll probably have his best years in his 20s. And if he leaves the club and is still in his 20s I think him, and players like him, will likely end up at a respectable club).  

Curtis Good

Not convinced, I'd have him as a 'possible' rather than a yes.

That's fine. Wouldn't object to that assessment.

My main point is, of course, that far too many have gone backwards or retired after leaving us. Meaning that our recruitment needs to be looked at. I had thought that we might pick up a Man City EDS player for next season, but so far we haven't and I'm pretty disappointed over that.

My main point is, of course, that far too many have gone backwards or retired after leaving us. Meaning that our recruitment needs to be looked at.

Why? Melbourne Heart had a very good record of developing young players up to the point they left the club, is it their fault they then go backwards?

Melbourne Heart collected transfer fees for a number of players heading overseas, eg bablj (twice), Good, Hamal, Behich etc. These fees pretty much kept Hear from being a financial disaster.

I think Heart did well in that regard, whether it now continues with City, who knows. I do think we have one exceptional talent in Mauk currently, and a few other youngsters we haven't seen much of who could be talented..

Edited by Tesla

Aziz, Babalj and Good will be Socceroos, only FFA(NSW) bias will get in their way.

Just hope Babalj gets in the first team and scores a few braces, or Taggart will be before him.

Would have thought there being multiple better options at left back might get in Aziz' way. Good looking to be injury prone could get in his way, but has by far the most potential of any young Australian centre back. I'd say Babalj is the one i have pinned down to be a regular for the Socceroos. Insanely talented just needs to get his head and body right.

Don't think Davidson has the LB spot locked down just yet. If his move to West Brom doesn't see him playing regularly Aziz could be a real shot if he's featuring regularly in Turkey.

I would imagine last year he was struggling mentally due to his Bursaspor career seeming at the crossroads, impacting on his performances which were well below par. If he can recapture his form prior to his move and build on his game he should be a very good chance of a spot in the Asian Cup squad.

• Like 1

Don't think Davidson has the LB spot locked down just yet. If his move to West Brom doesn't see him playing regularly Aziz could be a real shot if he's featuring regularly in Turkey.

I would imagine last year he was struggling mentally due to his Bursaspor career seeming at the crossroads, impacting on his performances which were well below par. If he can recapture his form prior to his move and build on his game he should be a very good chance of a spot in the Asian Cup squad.

Davidson was brilliant at the World Cup and he's started a few games at West Brom already this season, I think he's easily the best answer to our long-running left back conundrum.

Aziz is a great player when he's on (which was pretty much never last season) but at the same time he's always been a bit of a liability defensively and is probably still a little raw for the Socceroos. 

Some encouraging performances in Turkey could change everything though, I hope he does well over there.

Davidson was brilliant at the World Cup and he's started a few games at West Brom already this season, I think he's easily the best answer to our long-running left back conundrum.

Aziz is a great player when he's on (which was pretty much never last season) but at the same time he's always been a bit of a liability defensively and is probably still a little raw for the Socceroos.

Some encouraging performances in Turkey could change everything though, I hope he does well over there.

Davidson was apparently pretty ordinary in his last game for WBA, whilst Azis had a bit of a blinder.

I don't think Davidson has it tied down and if Azis can make LB his own in a good squad like Bursaspoor, he must be in with a chance.

I too hope he has a good season and gets a lot of game time, I would love it if he was a socceroo and it would be fun to hear tards complain.

Engelaar seemingly set to sign for Twente:

Twente looks out over latest addition: "It pleases me what I see from him"

September 10th, 2014

Jurre Rider

A reunion between FC Twente and Orlando Engelaar seems in the making. The midfielder has been training here in Enschede along and there is a trainer Alfred Schreuder good to talk about him.

The 35-year-old Engelaar late in training that he still relaxed manner. "That looks pretty good. It pleases me what I see of him," said Schreuder in Voetbal International. The coach would like to quickly Engelaar to the table. "I expect that we will decide together on short notice if we go together."

The veteran must in Enschede as a mentor will act. "We have a young team and it is important that we confront those guys with players who lead by example in all respects. I have a good relationship with Orlando, we played together at NAC., I know how he is. He's a good for the group. " 

The Dutchman played between 2006 and 2008 even though for Twente, for which he then came to 56 performances. The lefty forced a transfer off to Schalke 04, but the club sold him a year later, again at PSV. After four seasons, he left on a free transfer last year to Melbourne City.

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/399251/twente-lijkt-eruit-over-nieuwste-aanwinst-het-bevalt-me-wat-ik-van-hem-zie-.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522melbourne%2Bcity%2522%2B%2522engelaar%2522%26es_sm%3D93%26biw%3D1242%26bih%3D606%26tbs%3Dqdr:d

Aziz, Babalj and Good will be Socceroos, only FFA(NSW) bias will get in their way.

Just hope Babalj gets in the first team and scores a few braces, or Taggart will be before him.

Would have thought there being multiple better options at left back might get in Aziz' way. Good looking to be injury prone could get in his way, but has by far the most potential of any young Australian centre back. I'd say Babalj is the one i have pinned down to be a regular for the Socceroos. Insanely talented just needs to get his head and body right.

There really is only Davidson (you could say Bailey Write, but he's more a cb to my knowledge) standing in Behich's way.

Azis has played a few pre-season games and gotten big wraps, if he has a good season and plays a few games, he could leapfrog Davidson.

Babalj seems to be fit again and banging in goals this pre-season, it's looking promising and I hope he gets his chances this year.

• Like 1