Melbourne Football

Round 6: City V Newcastle Plane @ "Lucky you're with AAMI" park 7pm

xXCiTyZeNXx

15 minutes ago, rass said:

Ok, I'll say it. Sorry it won't conform to the agenda the majority have on here.

One of the more entertaining performances I've seen from us, definitely this season.

..and for all the hope that Joyce has lost the players, well sorry there's no way they would've come out and played the way they did if that was the case.

I really enjoyed tonight. Yeah it's only one game and we've all been through this hope before, but we can only judge tonight for what it was - which is a pretty emphatic response to an extremely dark week.

Well done all.

Tbh I spoke to Malik earlier in the week and the way he framed it was that the squad felt the media was on their back. So I think if we take anything from tonight it's that at least the players stood up.

• Like 1

Good a performance as it was in many ways, it doesn't allay my fears that we are good at home against poor teams, but derby aside, we can't do it away, or against the strong sides. So we'll do enough to keep the wolf from the door, but won't challenge for honours. Fifth is probably about where we'll end up. I'd be surprised to see us do anything next weekend. 

Honestly, much better, and probably 50% more attacking. 

The early goal helped.

We can build on this, but next week will be tough. 

Bruno back in is the only way that I can see Joyce turning it around.

Pretty solid across the park and Newcastle offered nothing.

Crowd would have been around 4-5k.

Best thing was that I only saw 1 seagull on the pitch and that wasn’t until extra time ... there must have been a chip festival somewhere in StKilda 

1 minute ago, Torn Asunder said:

The early goal helped.

Best thing was that I only saw 1 seagull on the pitch and that wasn’t until extra time ... there must have been a chip festival somewhere in StKilda 

They're all at Southern Cross. We've berated them about being lightweights and not turning up when it got ugly. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Good a performance as it was in many ways, it doesn't allay my fears that we are good at home against poor teams, but derby aside, we can't do it away, or against the strong sides. So we'll do enough to keep the wolf from the door, but won't challenge for honours. Fifth is probably about where we'll end up. I'd be surprised to see us do anything next weekend. 

Anything would be an improvement and tonight looked an improvement. Still the same issues of ponderous ball movement, few forward options in the front third, safe passes to retain possession, the difference was that we took our chances and were lucky not to concede. The tactical problems remain, the team is simultaneously super cautious but porous in defence. Next 2 games are away against the top side and a home derby. We may get 1 point, most likely to get none. It still looks like another nothing season under Joyce, I can't see him going anywhere. I can't see Bruno playing for us again either

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

The early goal helped.

Nah, just some Sudo's running a muck in St Kilda

1 hour ago, rass said:

Ok, I'll say it. Sorry it won't conform to the agenda the majority have on here.

One of the more entertaining performances I've seen from us, definitely this season.

..and for all the hope that Joyce has lost the players, well sorry there's no way they would've come out and played the way they did if that was the case.

I really enjoyed tonight. Yeah it's only one game and we've all been through this hope before, but we can only judge tonight for what it was - which is a pretty emphatic response to an extremely dark week.

Well done all.

I agree. A very good performance considering what had preceded the match. We showed a lot more enterprise than expected, just some sloppy passing in the final third letting down our attacking moves. Defence was very solid against some very neat play from Newcastle - lovely work from Bart throughout, Delbridge solid, and the two backs willing to get forward., and I thought the midfield was pretty good all round. I'm very surprised at the criticism of Baccus - IMO he was central to everything. Usually I'm the first to criticise slow build-up, and IMO there wasn't much of that tonight. I thought the weakness for the team was the LW - Vidosic looked completely lost and was indecisive in position and in his passing - very poor match from him.

Three cracking goals. Particularly Wales' - did well, kept his head and a nice finish when we needed the extra buffer.

Attendance 6,013. Seagull factor: zero.

Don't think anything was solved tonight, and the club needs to work very hard to make up for a very poor week off the field. The attendance was OK considering what has transpired, the shit KO time, and changes in service on at least two train lines. The rusted-on fans kept the faith, and the lads put a lot more into their play than we've often seen.

Three good and deserved points.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. A very good performance considering what had preceded the match. We showed a lot more enterprise than expected, just some sloppy passing in the final third letting down our attacking moves. Defence was very solid against some very neat play from Newcastle - lovely work from Bart throughout, Delbridge solid, and the two backs willing to get forward., and I thought the midfield was pretty good all round. I'm very surprised at the criticism of Baccus - IMO he was central to everything. Usually I'm the first to criticise slow build-up, and IMO there wasn't much of that tonight. I thought the weakness for the team was the LW - Vidosic looked completely lost and was indecisive in position and in his passing - very poor match from him.

Three cracking goals. Particularly Wales' - did well, kept his head and a nice finish when we needed the extra buffer.

Don't think anything was solved tonight, and the club needs to work very hard to make up for a very poor week off the field. The attendance was OK considering what has transpired, the shit KO time, and changes in service on at least two train lines. The rusted-on fans kept the faith, and the lads put a lot more into their play than we've often seen.

Spot on.

Bravo lads. You can only beat what’s in front of you and they did it with cracking goals. Great to see chances being taken to put the laces through the ball. The next 3 games against teams above us will tell us where the squad is at. I think we’re going to need Bruno back in the squad for these games to add that extra dimension to our attack - skin fold problem or not. But for now the 3 points are welcome and deserved giving us clear space at 5th position.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don’t think the critism of Baccus is slow build up play, he is skill full and barely sets a foot wrong. I would suggest for some to watch the replay and focus on him a bit more. He misses many easy opportunities go to forward and decides to go side ways or even back to the CB’s rather quick so nothing slow there. But we loose momentum.

Edited by Mr MO

We played alright tonight, however our goals were great.

I'd have to agree with Merrick that the Jets performance was insipid, similar to when we played Wellington a couple weeks back. Don't see us breaking down Perth or Adelaide away and very concerned about the derby. The way we lost momentum after the first goal tonight, any one of those teams will punish us for that. Hoping it's not the case however I just can't see it turning out to the contrary. 

7 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Bravo lads. You can only beat what’s in front of you and they did it with cracking goals. Great to see chances being taken to put the laces through the ball. The next 3 games against teams above us will tell us where the squad is at. I think we’re going to need Bruno back in the squad for these games to add that extra dimension to our attack - skin fold problem or not. But for now the 3 points are welcome and deserved giving us clear space at 5th position.

Classic

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

I MIGHT BE WRONG but I’m calling it right now, Bruce Djite is coming to replace Bruno....everything falls into place it seems + Bruce stating on The Shootout that he will be in the A-League in December 

So who and where will our new marquee play in Jan?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

I MIGHT BE WRONG but I’m calling it right now, Bruce Djite is coming to replace Bruno....everything falls into place it seems + Bruce stating on The Shootout that he will be in the A-League in December 

I call that 👍 and raise you with Bruno to WSW in Jan...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Consistency. It's always been our issue. Even in our best seasons, never mind our worst, we've been brilliant one week and utterly, inexplicably shite next week. Last season I gave Wazza some credit for making us more consistent, and less inclined to those inexplicable 'don't turn up' performances, though he did not entirely eliminate them. 

This season, that inconsistency is back. We appear to be largely flat track bullies. At home, against poor sides, we look decent, and win. But give us a little adversity, an away trip (even to a poorish side like Brisbane) or a decent side even at home (Sydney) and we are woeful. 

Thats why I agree with those who conclude that we were much better last night, but also those who fear for the next three matches, which all look like potential shellackings. None offer a flat track, and I fear we will be woeful. 

And the state of the dressing room? Well last night suggested some resilience, and a willingness to pull together for something. Whether that something is Wazza, loyalty to team mates, professional pride or some combination thereof, we won't know. But at the same time, the real test of that resilience will come in the next three weeks. 

• Thanks 1

I thought we played well. We took our chances and Eugene made some wonderful saves. I don't mind Baccus, I think he's a hard worker. I'm happy a couple of the young blokes got onto the end of a couple.

As for the whole Joyce/Bruno saga, I don't think we know all the facts. I'm lucky enough to work at an AFL club and if half the shit that happens behind closed doors sometimes got out, it would be a disaster. We don't know the whole story, there's heaps of assumptions. I do hope Tuna is back next week though.

Also what happened to the free Big Mac after wins?? I'm tonguing for a burger for lunch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HeartLand said:

I thought we played well. We took our chances and Eugene made some wonderful saves. I don't mind Baccus, I think he's a hard worker. I'm happy a couple of the young blokes got onto the end of a couple.

As for the whole Joyce/Bruno saga, I don't think we know all the facts. I'm lucky enough to work at an AFL club and if half the shit that happens behind closed doors sometimes got out, it would be a disaster. We don't know the whole story, there's heaps of assumptions. I do hope Tuna is back next week though.

Also what happened to the free Big Mac after wins?? I'm tonguing for a burger for lunch.

Vouchers for the Big Macs were being handed out after the match on the Eastern Side Outer Concourse. Don't know about anywhere else.

33 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Consistency. It's always been our issue. Even in our best seasons, never mind our worst, we've been brilliant one week and utterly, inexplicably shite next week. Last season I gave Wazza some credit for making us more consistent, and less inclined to those inexplicable 'don't turn up' performances, though he did not entirely eliminate them. 

This season, that inconsistency is back. We appear to be largely flat track bullies. At home, against poor sides, we look decent, and win. But give us a little adversity, an away trip (even to a poorish side like Brisbane) or a decent side even at home (Sydney) and we are woeful. 

Thats why I agree with those who conclude that we were much better last night, but also those who fear for the next three matches, which all look like potential shellackings. None offer a flat track, and I fear we will be woeful. 

And the state of the dressing room? Well last night suggested some resilience, and a willingness to pull together for something. Whether that something is Wazza, loyalty to team mates, professional pride or some combination thereof, we won't know. But at the same time, the real test of that resilience will come in the next three weeks. 

I don't disagree with you in general terms, but one thing I don't like is how, if we win, people say that it was because the opposition were shit, or words to that effect. The past two weeks have been very poor for the club as a whole, and I thought last night the boys showed that they were determined to rise above all that. They deserve credit for that. I haven't seen us come out of the blocks like that for a couple of seasons. I didn't think Newcastle were poor at all - some of their passing was delightful - better than ours - and on a different evening they could well have got at least a draw. I thought it was our determination that carried us through. IIRC only twice last season we scored 3+ goals at home, so 3-0 should be reason for some celebration.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't disagree with you in general terms, but one thing I don't like is how, if we win, people say that it was because the opposition were shit, or words to that effect. The past two weeks have been very poor for the club as a whole, and I thought last night the boys showed that they were determined to rise above all that. They deserve credit for that. I haven't seen us come out of the blocks like that for a couple of seasons. I didn't think Newcastle were poor at all - some of their passing was delightful - better than ours - and on a different evening they could well have got at least a draw. I thought it was our determination that carried us through. IIRC only twice last season we scored 3+ goals at home, so 3-0 should be reason for some celebration.

I was not at the game... in fact I was so lazy my whole interaction with the match was throw using a Browser on my phone to see just prior to the match starting line up that Joyce was using as his forwards,  and well past an hour after the game I then checked the score and scorers. I then watched a reply of that cracking goal.

Now I clearly admit that have no context of how the game (Sounds like Newy were awful) however it looked like an ideal Post Match Report for Joyce.

Edited by cadete

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Too right. I had to bite my tongue last night to stop me from responding to some of that crap. I dont understand why people can't just accept that last was a great result and a good game of football.

• Like 1

The best we have played this season.

Im usually critical of Delbridge but he played well, i think it helped that Bart played the ball out a lot more instead of Delly. Wales looks completely lost as a striker and got monstered by NTS and Boogard but he took his chance nicely. Baccus is meh, id rather Malik, Bratten or Griffiths. Eugene was great, though his distribution is generally poor.

Regarding the club censoring Bruno, it's petty and sadly looks like he is being pushed out of the club.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I want us to play well away from home, or against one of the stronger sides in the league. Agree with you that Newcastle weren't awful, and we did well on the night, especially given the context. But we looked a lot better against Wellington, and then failed to turn up against Brisbane. Is it who or where we're playing, or is it inconsistency? Either way, I'm waiting to see. But it was great to see us win with three good goals and some good defensive work. 

11 hours ago, Afif Adam said:

3 hours ago, ABC123 said:

I call that 👍 and raise you with Bruno to WSW in Jan...

If both of these happen, what an absolute fucking shit show

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Worst possible result for the club and its future. 

Just lets the club get away with kicking the can down the road.

Yes two wonder strikes, players playing for themselves to get the media of their back and we are all good again. I’m hoping to that most supporters can see past this.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Yes two wonder strikers, players playing for themselves to get the media of their back and we are all good again. I’m hoping to that most supporters can see past this.

Most probably will, but I doubt thats going to matter. The club and media can use it now. Just like the whole highest ever finish from last season. Although I would argue that it was a season on par with past as we have been in the semi's  a couple of times

1 hour ago, rass said:

Too right. I had to bite my tongue last night to stop me from responding to some of that crap. I dont understand why people can't just accept that last was a great result and a good game of football.

I accept the result and the game of football.  We beat who we had in front of us. We scored some cracker goals. And it was exactly the response we needed, so I'm happy with that. But the Jets were poor. And we totally lost our way for most of he first half. We have to be way better than that. If this doesn't create the feel good response you'd like to hear then I cant help you sorry. Reality is we played ok against a completely inept Jets. If we are to handle Perth away, Adelaide away and victory who are flying we will have to be way better than we were last night. 

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Most probably will, but I doubt thats going to matter. The club and media can use it now. Just like the whole highest ever finish from last season. Although I would argue that it was a season on par with past as we have been in the semi's  a couple of times

Agree. 2015-2016 where we were a game away from ending on top was at least on par. 

I don't think anyone is deluded by one 3-0 home win. Not even key people inside the club and City Football Group can really believe that one win makes everything sweet again. The club has a great deal of work to do both on and off the field if it is to be regarded as "successful" in broad terms and by any of the usual metrics. Many fences need to be mended.

IMO there are some on here who have been so badly damaged by 9 seasons of failure that they can't even enjoy winning when it happens, nor can they see any good qualities in some players. For me there was a lot to enjoy last night.

• Like 1

Remember a few weeks ago when people wanted Bruno out?

If he is being a bad influence or not performing then so be it, I have no quibbles with him being out IMHO and if it's part of the plan to fix our club culture all the better.

The problem is we have had 2 good performances, one against the victards and last nights game, other than that the football has been insipid. What got me was Joyces' post match comments when he said he thought we had played better in earlier games and we had just taken our chances in this one! I thought we looked a million times better in this game, better off the ball movement and intensity.

That is my problem with Joyce, the brand of football he is promoting hasn't been effective and he is blind to the fact.

Credit though to the lads last night, there were some cracking goals scored.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, moops said:

Remember a few weeks ago when people wanted Bruno out?

If he is being a bad influence or not performing then so be it, I have no quibbles with him being out IMHO and if it's part of the plan to fix our club culture all the better.

The problem is we have had 2 good performances, one against the victards and last nights game, other than that the football has been insipid. What got me was Joyces' post match comments when he said he thought we had played better in earlier games and we had just taken our chances in this one! I thought we looked a million times better in this game, better off the ball movement and intensity.

That is my problem with Joyce, the brand of football he is promoting hasn't been effective and he is blind to the fact.

Credit though to the lads last night, there were some cracking goals scored.

Joyce is making sure he has a bunch of pathetic yes men playing for him. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Bruno didn't show he was determined for 2.5 seasons with us?? 

I'm not saying that, but he hasn't been the same after his injury and if he has become lazy or set in his ways I couldn't care less if he is dropped. 

As someone else said, no player should be bigger than the club.