Melbourne Football

Rd. 9, Sat 2 Dec, vs. Newcastle, away

jw1739

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Consistency, at least consistency with a clear plan of how we want to play and some sign that the players are working together as a group. I'm heartened by the second half, traumatised by the first. 

I think the plan is clear but the execution which is inconsistent which reflects our inconsistent performance.

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

I really can't work out why Melbourne isn't warming to this club. The entertainment levels are through the roof!

Even as a casual member of this group I can see the number of posters and posts are decreasing compared to previous seasons. This thread for tonight's game is only six pages which would have been longer in previous seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, playmaker said:

I think the plan is clear but the execution which is inconsistent which reflects our inconsistent performance.

We started the season playing counter-attack with 2 deep sitting banks of 4 players and played direct balls and played forward quickly - not pretty to my eyes, but effective.

Now we seem to be playing some sort of hybrid game, we've stopped playing 2 organised banks of 4, we have larger amounts of space between our lines and we move the ball ponderously forwards. Our second phase of attacking transition is almost always backwards, just not sure what we are trying to do

• Like 1

There is no way any credit should be given to the manager. He was the one who selected Budzinski at left wing and refused to change it until half time. By that time Budzinski had given a goal away and looked totally lost after 20 minutes. Why didn't Wazza change it sooner?

He continues to play Jacobsen in midfield, when he should be alongside Bort in the defence. Whatever has happened with Kilkenny, should be resolved, and he should be playing in midfield. Even though Muscat scored the winner, he was continually wasteful with the ball. 

I won't be surprised to see Fitzgerald at RB next week and Mailk playing in midfield, even though he has been sent off twice and is useless!

The question is, did the players just ignore his instructions in the second half and decide to play football instead of the hoof ball in the first half.

• Like 2

I am still shaking my head.

However like many on this forum, the second half was a marked improvement by 10 players (Bouzanis had a cracker in the first half). Brattan certainly improved and I wonder why he can't bring that level of effort to every game. Mauk has declined in the last few weeks but he was still serviceable. It would be interesting to see if we place Mauk on the wing and Budzinski in the AM role, at least for one half. And Kamau did make a difference.

11 hours ago, bt50 said:

...If there has ever been a better barometer of our side than Luke Brattan i'm a monkey's uncle. He was utterly dreadful first half tonight but completely turned it around in the second half, same as last week tbf. His 2nd half was arguably the best half he has put in for us since he got here...

Great post, especially the part about Brattan.

The media is really getting stuck into our behind the scenes 'disharmony' at the moment. To the point where during the first half, the commentary went to the sidelines just to note us all of Brattan and Joyce having a verbal stoush during a passage of play. 

It was hugely impressive then how Brattan responded in the second half. Not just his performance, but his attitude was terrific; sprinting and chasing down players and doing all the little things. He was for mine the most influential player on the pitch.

Whilst things may not be all rosey behind the scenes, i do believe it's not as bad as what it's made out to be. I think it's more a push from the media which most of our fellow doom and gloom supporters on here are all too happy to buy into. 

The second half turn around was the impetus to one of our most important wins ever. Hopefully it will be a line in the sand moment for the club that will really push us forward and show everyone we are in this to our ears.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rass said:

Just read through two pages of some real negative shit. Fair enough, we were woeful in that first half. 

I'd love to hear one person at least now give credit to the turnaround. We were miles better than them in the second half. Whatever was said in the dressing room at half time clearly worked.

I agree, credit to the team and the coaching staff for whatever happened in the change room at halftime. If only we could see that regularly. The change really happened thanks to our man of the match, Nigel Boogard who kindly gave us a needless penalty just before halftime. Suddenly, we seemed interested

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

I have a feeling that one answer will show just how big that win was...

When was the last time we came back from behind to win an away game? 

Yep. Especially considering it was against an in-form, free flowing team currently sitting second on the ladder. 

Massive result.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rass said:

Yep. Especially considering it was against an in-form, free flowing team currently sitting second on the ladder. 

Massive result.

Let's not forget our disaster trip to Newcastle away last season. We're damned if we do, damned if we don't on here. 

Sure the first half was shit, but ultimately we turned it around and won away - how many times have we EVER done that. 

Now I'm not Joyce's biggest fan, I've fallen off him a bit in recent weeks, but the way people are carrying on here you'd think the Jets were rock bottom not second. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rass said:

Great post, especially the part about Brattan.

The media is really getting stuck into our behind the scenes 'disharmony' at the moment. To the point where during the first half, the commentary went to the sidelines just to note us all of Brattan and Joyce having a verbal stoush during a passage of play. 

It was hugely impressive then how Brattan responded in the second half. Not just his performance, but his attitude was terrific; sprinting and chasing down players and doing all the little things. He was for mine the most influential player on the pitch.

Whilst things may not be all rosey behind the scenes, i do believe it's not as bad as what it's made out to be. I think it's more a push from the media which most of our fellow doom and gloom supporters on here are all too happy to buy into. 

The second half turn around was the impetus to one of our most important wins ever. Hopefully it will be a line in the sand moment for the club that will really push us forward and show everyone we are in this to our ears.

Agree with this. Backchat seems to be a fairly common thing in football clubs, and far more so than footy from what ive seen over the journey. Certainly Brattan seems to in particular be one buying into Joyce's ethic from what i've heard both behind the scenes and in the media so I'm not sure i rate that as a reflection of what else is happening.The issues seem to be more isolated to other individuals (Killa and Cahill).

December is a crucial month for us imo. If we can stay within 6 points of Sydney by the time New Year rolls around i reckon we are a serious shot at it with Sydney's ACL committments. Obviously, the next 5 games (CCM, SYD, MV, WSW & PER) can dictate where this season will head.

• Like 1

I'm feeling completely torn on what to think about last night and the season in general. 

We are 1/3 into the season and I don't have a definitive opinion on what the team is capable of. 

If ever the next few games cliche will decide the season applies now would be close to the perfect example. If we get 9 plus points out of the next 12 then we are back in with a genuine sniff but 6 or less and were probably going to end up our standard 4th and loss in the first week of the finals.

So I'm in the "got no fucking idea camp".

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm feeling completely torn on what to think about last night and the season in general. 

We are 1/3 into the season and I don't have a definitive opinion on what the team is capable of. 

If ever the next few games cliche will decide the season applies now would be close to the perfect example. If we get 9 plus points out of the next 12 then we are back in with a genuine sniff but 6 or less and were probably going to end up our standard 4th and loss in the first week of the finals.

So I'm in the "got no fucking idea camp".

Yeah im the same now. Can't stand the style of football we play as it wasn't what I signed up for...But then we keep pulling wins out of our ass. Anyway, lets hope Vidmar has a positive impact.

Thrilling win. Just a few points:

Budzinski needs to be played as a midfielder, not as a striker or winger. I agree with most that he has disappointed but we should be playing him in his natural position.

Bouzanis kept very well and deserved MOTM considering the trying conditions and his overall performance.

Their goal was flukey but they did break us down too many times. 

We finally scored a goal in open-play (and Muscat redeemed himself).

Joyce did the right thing in changing our approach in the second half.

Ross is doing his job. Earning and converting set pieces is one way to score and they all count. 

How is it Wazza's fault that Brattan was absolute shit in the first half and then probably after the break talk started to play OK. Yes, just OK, please do not over-glorify him here. He is lazy and slow-thinking.

How is it Wazza's fault if Cahill is a passenger, waiting for a perfect pass, with no runs or movement in front. He is visible only on corners.

How is it Wazza's fault if Kamau being a first choice cannot play efficiently for 90 mins?

Wazza is experimenting with the squad and surely it's gonna be a bumpy ride ahead. Nothing changed dramatically in the second half apart from the possible talk in the break. I suspect a poor players culture or attitude takes a toll. Wazza needs to start to offload dead wood from the Cloob ASAP.

1 hour ago, MXG said:

...that Brattan was absolute shit in the first half and then probably after the break talk started to play OK. Yes, just OK, please do not over-glorify him here. He is lazy and slow-thinking...

Really disagree with the lazy comment. Might give that perception but i watched him closely in that second half and he was chasing down balls he had no right to get too and was continually pressuring their ball carrier in that second half. I thought he was fabulous and the very opposite to lazy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rass said:

Really disagree with the lazy comment. Might give that perception but i watched him closely in that second half and he was chasing down balls he had no right to get too and was continually pressuring their ball carrier in that second half. I thought he was fabulous and the very opposite to lazy.

Whipping boy. Everyone's got one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rass said:

I agree with you. Has really stepped up this season and you can see his passion to do well and follow Wazza's plan. He has definitely earned his starting position and is working damn hard on the pitch.

2 hours ago, rass said:

Second half Brattan ran rings around first half Brattan. No contest.

An no he is not everybody's whipping boy. I have asked in prior matches whether he was playing to expectations and no one said that he was. Yes, an excellent second half does not mean that his performance was overlooked in previous matches. And I pose the question again why did he not play with the same intensity and effectiveness in the first half? Perhaps nest round just keep a close eye on him for the whole match.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Second half Brattan ran rings around first half Brattan. No contest.

An no he is not everybody's whipping boy. I have asked in prior matches whether he was playing to expectations and no one said that he was. Yes, an excellent second half does not mean that his performance was overlooked in previous matches. And I pose the question again why did he not play with the same intensity and effectiveness in the first half? Perhaps nest round just keep a close eye on him for the whole match.

This is a question that should be asked of every one of those players who actually get on the field. I'm going to guess that the results will often not make very pretty reading.

21 hours ago, rass said:

So basically you are saying he was not lazy in the second half.

Uncannily enough when I watched the behind closed doors game against Newcastle in preseason we had a shocking first half similar to Saturday and then dominated the second half with Brattan basically involved in everything. Basically a carbon copy of the game on Saturday. When Brattan has a game like he did we dominate play.

Edited by n i k o

Being slow in the first half and reasonable in the second after good spanking is a definition of laziness. 

3 hours ago, rass said:

Lol. I said i watched him closely in the second half.

You just said straight out he's lazy.. and i disagreed with you.

9 hours ago, MXG said:

Being slow in the first half and reasonable in the second after good spanking is a definition of laziness. 

I don't believe it is actually, but you go with it if it makes you feel better.

Btw, he dropped about 8kgs to get himself fit for this season. You need to be pretty lazy to do that.

Edited by rass
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1