Melbourne Football

City Vs Roar, Sat 11/2 - 7.50pm - AAMI

neio

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I still think we're cooked.

We need Fitzy Kamau and Flopazo to play at a level that none have done so far this season  (exception Kamau who has been pretty good tbf but he still needs to lift.

Caceras Retre and Kilkenny must win the middle (for 95mins)

and Jakobsen must get through and Rose abd Tongyik and Franjic have to avoid critical errors. Then Sorensen has to come in and perform at a level that he hasn't played for 3 months. 

Then if they can all do that the youngsters need to have an influence in the last 20 or so.

So without being too negative we are well and truly fucked and our only hope is Brisbane get stuck in customs.

But your not taking into account Brisbane having to back up an away trip in China as well. We will be more defensive minded and more compact.

The longer the game goes on either level, the harder it gets for Brisbane.

I think a draw here, but i've got a bit of a feeling of one of those "upset of the season" type of games coming up

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

But your not taking into account Brisbane having to back up an away trip in China as well. We will be more defensive minded and more compact.

The longer the game goes on either level, the harder it gets for Brisbane.

I think a draw here, but i've got a bit of a feeling of one of those "upset of the season" type of games coming up

Very true in the glass half full side but in the half empty.

Brisbane are coming back from one of their greatest wins under Aloisi, they would be a very tight united group just frothing to tear a below strenght team apart.

Definitely a win would be an upset and who knows bring in a new look and a start of something amazing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Very true in the glass half full side but in the half empty.

Brisbane are coming back from one of their greatest wins under Aloisi, they would be a very tight united group just frothing to tear a below strenght team apart.

Definitely a win would be an upset and who knows bring in a new look and a start of something amazing. 

They could also go into the game a little too confident and take us too lightly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [LIBBA] said:

If we can play a little more counter attacking based football, we have the pace up front to really trouble Brisbane.

Plus i think you might see the best of Kamau this week if we go down that path 

The term itself explains the 2 reasons why we can't play counter attacking football:

'Counter' implies that we have a defence, it isn't the CFG way to defend.

'Attacking' implies that we move the ball forward, not sideways' and that perhaps movement off the ball allows our players to move into dangerous positions. No, the CFG way dictates that we patiently move the ball up the back via both wings (3 times) and then we can pass the ball into the box.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Namely 3 points and any chance of 3rd which in effect a playoff ACL spot.

Perhaps a bit dramatic; its certainly not game over as far as third goes if we lose (particularly now given Brisbane have ACL commitments as well), but yes it will make it distinctly harder if we cant come away with a point at least.

Edited by bt50

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Namely 3 points and any chance of 3rd which in effect a playoff ACL spot.

Losing 3rd spot is not just a case of missing an ACL playoff spot.

Also would mean on missing out on a very likely scenario of playing Victory in the semi whcih would mean zero travel for the first 2 games

34 minutes ago, bt50 said:

As a team we have plenty to lose.

I just looked at the table, it's staggering to think we're actually still in contention for anything given how dreadful we've been. 

Still, I'd be starting at least one of them.

1 minute ago, [LIBBA] said:

Losing 3rd spot is not just a case of missing an ACL playoff spot.

Also would mean on missing out on a very likely scenario of playing Victory in the semi whcih would mean zero travel for the first 2 games

finals are a confirmed joke if any team other than Sydney wins tbh.

• Like 1

Just now, Nate said:

I just looked at the table, it's staggering to think we're actually still in contention for anything given how dreadful we've been. 

If i was to start any of the kids it'd be Crowley tbh. Don't particularly like the idea of Arzani as a striker.

6 hours ago, LB said:

No expectation, no pressure, and we get to see some of the kids. TBH i havent seen much of the NYL guys, so i'm looking forward to it.

Realistically I think we'll be under the pump for the majority, so I'd play 1 up front for 60 - 70 mins and then reassess at that time depending on the score/game. Play Fitzy up front on his own, he'll run and chase long balls all day and should occasionally cause a bit of panic with his pressure and speed. Sit Caceres behind him as AM. When the time comes, sub Fitzy, Caceres, or Kamau for Arzani and let him run at tired defenders. 

And they will be tired.  They won't want lively kids running at them.

6 hours ago, Nate said:

finals are a confirmed joke if any team other than Sydney wins tbh.

As they say the best team doesnt win the Grand Final its the best team on the day, i suppose thats why people hold the premiers plate in higher reguard. 

Last night and yesterday I was teetering on weather to go tonight. I went to sleep and decided I was going to stay home (hadn't told the kids). 

This morning after reading a couple of those ridiculous articles I'm fired up and angry and wouldn't miss tonight. 

The problem is as soon as I hit punt rd I'll know what a stupid stupid mistake I've made.

Just like that Seinfeld episode when Costanza gets back with his girl and the moment he walks up the steps the massive mistake he has made dawns on him.

• Like 1

We will win tonight . . . I think I remember a similar situation in Heart days where we were under-manned, underdogs & had a team of kids & won playing some awesome football.

Sorensen, Rose, Tongyik, Jakobsen & Franjic can easily hold Brisbane's attack.

Let the rest of the kids run wild & free.

3-1 win coming up!

Actually looking forward to the game. I've come to accept that stressing over the win/loss doesnt end well and only makes the match day experience shit. I'm going tonight for the reasons that I want to enjoy some football from both sides, see some of our young players have a go and to give it to JA. Of course this could all change if we lose but I'm certainly more positive going into the game and for that's it's worth it. 

I think I'm in the what they call the 5 stages of grief, the last stage being the acceptance stage.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

Actually looking forward to the game. I've come to accept that stressing over the win/loss doesnt end well and only makes the match day experience shit. I'm going tonight for the reasons that I want to enjoy some football from both sides, see some of our young players have a go and to give it to JA. Of course this could all change if we lose but I'm certainly more positive going into the game and for that's it's worth it. 

I think I'm in the what they call the 5 stages of grief, the last stage being the acceptance stage.

"I'm going tonight for the reasons that I want to enjoy some football from both sides". Don't we all. Winning is the ultimate but at least let us be entertained.

5 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

"I'm going tonight for the reasons that I want to enjoy some football from both sides". Don't we all. Winning is the ultimate but at least let us be entertained.

Not sure tbh. Normally I couldn't care less how good the opponents play, as along as we played well and won.