Melbourne Football

Brisbane Roar vs Melbourne City 10 Feb 2024 KO 6.00 pm

citypool

We.            Are.                     So.                                         Slow.

With the ball and without it. We can’t keep the ball or pass the ball, even if we could pass it, nobody seems to know where to pass, where to run. This is a coaching issue.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We.            Are.                     So.                                         Slow.

With the ball and without it. We can’t keep the ball or pass the ball, even if we could pass it, nobody seems to know where to pass, where to run. This is a coaching issue.

Arslan has likely been papering over the cracks. By far our best and most consistent player this season. Now we've lost him the wheels have absolutely come off.

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Arslan has likely been papering over the cracks. By far our best and most consistent player this season. Now we've lost him the wheels have absolutely come off.

We also play with a player less in attacking possession, just makes everything very hard if a little bit of quality and composure is required.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, Nate said:

holy fuck, how is this possible??

I haven't been able to watch - what the fuck is happening???

The same as in the home game against them except this time they converted pretty much everything - every ball just flies in.

Edited by Mr MO

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Every player on the pitch has forgotten how to play and no one knows each other.

Well it makes a little sense. New midfield, don’t think these guys have ever played together. Three of the back players have not been regular starters. JMAC is not an option in build play. Nabbout and Natel try to cross to imaginary players in the box and no other options going forward.

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The same as in the home game against them except this time they converted pretty much everything - every ball just flies in.

It’s much easier to convert when there’s no pressure on you at all. Most players at this level will get a shot on target with no pressure

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't care what anyone says. There is something fundamentally wrong at the club and has been since before the end of last season.

I think that the problem is that PK was such a dominating control freak that he inadvertently created a very dependent group. Radio recognised this and asked the players to be more creative, but the playing group itself hasn’t found a way to accept responsibility as a cohesive group; nobody takes responsibility.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't care what anyone says. There is something fundamentally wrong at the club and has been since before the end of last season.

It’s a bit of both, trouble at the club is just a consequence. We are just stuck in the past, complacent with historical achievements without recognizing what’s happening around us. Our core players are all in their 30s with the youth players not be being at the level you see at other clubs.

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It’s much easier to convert when there’s no pressure on you at all. Most players at this level will get a shot on target with no pressure

There was no pressure on them home game either, they just missed and were unlucky perhaps. we were lethal then now it’s the other way around. The balance is restored.

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I think that the problem is that PK was such a dominating control freak that he inadvertently created a very dependent group. Radio recognised this and asked the players to be more creative, but the playing group itself hasn’t found a way to accept responsibility as a cohesive group; nobody takes responsibility.

The league was a lot weaker and our squad younger, it’s hard to draw comparisons.

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Wow, Roar had an attack and didn’t score!

Because last season, we didn’t play them. What does Caputo need to do to get on before 80 minutes?

I agree I don’t know what’s going. JMAC playing guarantee in the contract? Perhaps Vidmar doesn’t want to escalate things further.

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Most players at this level will get a shot on target with no pressure

Then you haven’t watch Nabbout often enough.

Time for a complete rebuild. I don't want to see anyone here next season whose contract expires at the end of this one. It's absurd to be paying some of these players the amounts they are reported to be on.

We're a development league - let's see some developing players.

Edited by jw1739

As I said months ago, you can not play a 'city' system with the list we have.

End of story.

And just a note, the only time we didn't was when we played the tards, in which the performance was impressive against a I much better side IMO.

So the conclusion is that Vidmar is a capable manager but is being forced to play the city system, as he alluded to in his first interview. 

The reality is that with a few tweeks and change in tactics we can still be a top 3 team, but with this high possession, high line, and high press, slow build up system we don't stand a chance.

The solution is do the opposite of the above and strike on the quick counter. We have the players for this style and the manager is capable to captain the ship.

Good luck to Vidmar on telling the tactics controllers to go and take a hike.

• Like 1

Positives:

- Terry Antonis

- We drew the second half

- We've got some decent players back from injury

- Victory lost

Negatives:

- Our defence is a basket case

- Arslan out for weeks

- The rebuild was supposed to be this season, but it's been deferred until at least next season

- We're going to lose some players we have loved

- We're struggling to make the six

- Next up is the Derby

- There's something horribly wrong somewhere

Well, where to start…

Positives:

A better more cohesive second half in attack

Negatives:

The team is a dysfunctional dependent group. This isn’t an issue with individuals; yes, I agree that we have an aging list, lots of injuries, but as a team we are frightened and tentative, slow with and without the ball. We lost possession with the ball so many times as there were no passing options.

Every player is looking for another player to take responsibility.

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

As I said months ago, you can not play a 'city' system with the list we have.

I’m not sure that I agree, jury is out on Jeggo who will be a key player. There’s quite a lot of flexibility in the City system, we need to play with two DMs to protect a slow back four.

One issue is that I don’t think that we have played our strongest 11 in a single game yet, and we don’t have the strength on the bench that we have had in previous seasons.

had a 7.30 booking for dinner last night so got to watch that lovely first half before going; stellar stellar choice for sure 

fuck me our midfield is shit. while it doesnt help to have your best player out suspended and have had our next best leave mid season for personal reasons, any good team can cover.  they have depth. we dont.  any individual defending Lopane can join Lopane and get the fuck out.  guy is fucking shit.  for all the shit Lachie Wales coped, this guy is 10 times worse.  why the fuck was he signed?

their second was essentially walked into the goal.  FMD - how can the players be this apathetic?? two goals from outside the box doesnt help (sometimes opponents just lucky with a well taken shot) but still, where is the pressure??

season is well and truly over.  i just hope we can get / keep a fully fit and firing front third for the rest of the season.  will be great to see us finally play with some intent, some way of putting our opponents under constant pressure week in week out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, belaguttman said:

One issue is that I don’t think that we have played our strongest 11 in a single game yet, and we don’t have the strength on the bench that we have had in previous seasons.

I agree and that is my point.

If we haven't got the players on the pitch to execute the plan then we modify the plan to give us the best chance of winning.

This is basic stuff, and that is why I find it so frustrating seeing this obvious and ridiculous rigidity in our game style.

So the round by round scenario that we are witnessing is this.

1. Opposition knows our game plan and plans against it, tweeks their stock system of play and player list to exploit our weaknesses and strengthen their own.

2. We haven't got the players on the pitch to execute our game plan optimally therefore we are comprised from the start, do nothing to adapt to opposition tactics, everyone puts their head in the sand and says 'but we have a system' as if that is enough. It is a ridiculous philosophy. 

This idea that the city style is a style of play that it beautiful to watch is an oxymoron, as it doesn't matter what style a team plays because the fact is any style is beautiful if it is successful.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If we haven't got the players on the pitch to execute the plan then we modify the plan to give us the best chance of winning.

There's no rigid, prescribed plan; my understanding is that there's quite a bit of flexibility; we just aren't doing it. If, as Vidmar says, we are training well but not executing the plan on the pitch then the issues are really off the pitch, in the playing group

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

There's no rigid, prescribed plan; my understanding is that there's quite a bit of flexibility; we just aren't doing it. If, as Vidmar says, we are training well but not executing the plan on the pitch then the issues are really off the pitch, in the playing group

We can't keep using that excuse. What does he mean by "training well?" 25 blokes playing mini-games against each other is no use if you can't adapt when you're in a competitive match.
We're predictable and as boring as batshit to watch.