Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 4 -Melbourne vs Macarthur Sunday 12th Nov - 3:00pm

IssySG

18 minutes ago, neio said:

I think one of our main problems is that we have too many players who are ok but nothing more. Young, Reis, Souprayen, Talbot, Sakhi, Ugarkovic, Natel, Lopane, Antonis, Jakolis are all at a capable aleague level but they lack the killer punch or star quality that you need from your best players in this league.

To get anything out of this season we are going to rely so heavily on Arslan and Leckie to create and Maclaren to score, while it will work in some games it's not sustainable without getting regular better contributions from everyone else.

Very ordinary recruiting for this season. No crowd-pulling power either. And doesn't appear to be anyone coming up from the Academy to put pressure on the seniors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

I think one of our main problems is that we have too many players who are ok but nothing more. Young, Reis, Souprayen, Talbot, Sakhi, Ugarkovic, Natel, Lopane, Antonis, Jakolis are all at a capable aleague level but they lack the killer punch or star quality that you need from your best players in this league.

To get anything out of this season we are going to rely so heavily on Arslan and Leckie to create and Maclaren to score, while it will work in some games it's not sustainable without getting regular better contributions from everyone else.

Looking forward to next season, Sakhi and Natel are on loan whilst Reis contract comes to an end. Jakolis is also on loan. Given that the expectations are that visa players are expected to be on the pitch every game and contributing, then I am comfortable to say that so far they have not met the expectations and can be returned. And I think that there if Lopane and Caputo can be nurtured correctly they can become mainstays by season's end.

5 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Looking forward to next season, Sakhi and Natel are on loan whilst Reis contract comes to an end. Jakolis is also on loan. Given that the expectations are that visa players are expected to be on the pitch every game and contributing, then I am comfortable to say that so far they have not met the expectations and can be returned. And I think that there if Lopane and Caputo can be nurtured correctly they can become mainstays by season's end.

Jakolis isn't a visa player, in very early evidence and what we have seen I wouldn't be against keeping him. He is at least positive when he gets the ball, his decision making and final ball is very 50-50 but he doesn't take a visa spot and I doubt much cap room.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Where's the logic behind a "rule" like this?

TBH it probably is a bit unnecessary to bring a ball along to a match, but if they've been having a kick-about outside before the game then surely putting it in a bag and carrying it in ought to be OK?

To my mind though, all part of these unnecessary rules and regulations by MOPT/FA/APL being brought in over recent seasons that are driving people away from the A-League, all petty and that could be handled in different ways that try to be "spectator-friendly."

All part of "Victoria - the Nanny State."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, citypool said:

Also one thing that impressed me off the pitch on Sunday. The camera was cutting to the crowd a lot trying to get kids into the atmosphere. I think the club did well with the player signings and music outside aami I'm happy with them trying new things to engage us 

They did that instead of showing a blank screen during controversial replays they can't show at the ground. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, haz said:

They did that instead of showing a blank screen during controversial replays they can't show at the ground. 

I just love the way we can watch the whole match...except the replays on which often the result depends!! More than anything IMO VAR is killing the game.

• Like 3

On 13/11/2023 at 1:09 PM, Zanty said:

Apparently could come back earlier 

Yes, expected back just after Christmas iirc. When they operated in him the found a small fragment of bone in the tissue or tendon (I cant recall which) which had initially caused the impression that there was a bad tear, but now expecting a much quicker recovery.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, malloy said:

Yes, expected back just after Christmas iirc. When they operated in him the found a small fragment of bone in the tissue or tendon (I cant recall which) which had initially caused the impression that there was a bad tear, but now expecting a much quicker recovery.

Would this be why haven’t really replaced him? Natel is on a 1 year deal.

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Never thought I'd say it but I'd rather have Nabbout on the right wing than Natel any day of the week.

Agree. Natel doesnt suit our system. Not just his play with the ball but we need to press high. He's too slow and you can see he doesnt have that in him. I hope he proves me completely wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

So what do we think them if Natel was an injury replacement, we need to release him?

I don't think he was intended to be an injury replacement. It may be the case that for cap purposes he is, but I reckon given how quickly we signed him after the injury and based on some of Petrillo's comments, that we had been working on bring Natel over for some time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Natel was brought in as an injury replacement for Nabbout but I don't believe he takes up an injury replacement slot if that makes sense

Sorry that makes no sense. 

Injury replacement players are paid through insurance. What you are saying is just we have cap space and signed Natel, meaning his not an injury replacement. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Sorry that makes no sense. 

Injury replacement players are paid through insurance. What you are saying is just we have cap space and signed Natel, meaning his not an injury replacement. 

Quite correct on payment. Further, the timing of Natel's arrival does not support the idea that he is an injury replacement.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Quite correct on payment. Further, the timing of Natel's arrival does not support the idea that he is an injury replacement.

Would think you could transfer the injury replacement between players, eg if Nabbout is back before Leckie then could transfer to Leckie etc

AFAIK there are fairly strict conditions on injury replacement players. Depends what they say and any changes that have been made by APL. IIRC the player has to be likely to be absent for a minimum specified period before a replacement can be approved.

Edited by jw1739

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

yes, but what I am saying is Natel was only brought in because of Nabbout's injury so he is an injury replacement in the literal term but doesn't take up a 'injury replacement slot'.

3 minutes ago, Zanty said:

yes, but what I am saying is Natel was only brought in because of Nabbout's injury so he is an injury replacement in the literal term but doesn't take up a 'injury replacement slot'.

Could you provide a source?

You are saying Natel was last minute injury replacement but we are aren’t claiming his wages through insurance. 

Or you just talking about squad numbers?

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Could you provide a source?

You are saying Natel was last minute injury replacement but we are aren’t claiming his wages through insurance. 

Or you just talking about squad numbers?

what I am trying to say is Natel is never brought in if Nabbout wasn't injured

50 minutes ago, Zanty said:

what I am trying to say is Natel is never brought in if Nabbout wasn't injured

What evidence do you have for saying that he was signed because Nabbout was going to be out for the season, but he is not an injury replacement? That doesn't make sense from a club financial perspective.

• Like 1

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/natel-joins-city

Natel joins the Club on a one-year loan from Corinthians in Brazil’s Serie A, following a long-term injury to City forward, Andrew Nabbout

Melbourne City FC Director of Football, Michael Petrillo, said:

“Leo will provide us with an ideal replacement for Andy. He brings direct pace, strength, has the technical qualities to go 1v1 and can press very well.

Edited by Zanty

5 hours ago, Zanty said:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/natel-joins-city

Natel joins the Club on a one-year loan from Corinthians in Brazil’s Serie A, following a long-term injury to City forward, Andrew Nabbout

Melbourne City FC Director of Football, Michael Petrillo, said:

“Leo will provide us with an ideal replacement for Andy. He brings direct pace, strength, has the technical qualities to go 1v1 and can press very well.

I am not so sure on that, to me the article is Petrillo saying that Natel is more than capable of filling Nabbout's shoes.

Nabbout was injured on playing on the 6th, Brasil media reported a deal had been done in substance on the 11th (loan with option to buy) and Corinthians confirmed on the 12th the deal was wrapped up.

Given the short time frame, that Andy woukd have had to have had scans first before confirming he was out for full season, comments from Petrillo in person and the structure of the deal (full year loan with option to buy), I am inclined to believe that the deal was being negotiated prior to Nabbout's injury.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, malloy said:

I am not so sure on that, to me the article is Petrillo saying that Natel is more than capable of filling Nabbout's shoes.

Nabbout was injured on playing on the 6th, Brasil media reported a deal had been done in substance on the 11th (loan with option to buy) and Corinthians confirmed on the 12th the deal was wrapped up.

Given the short time frame, that Andy woukd have had to have had scans first before confirming he was out for full season, comments from Petrillo in person and the structure of the deal (full year loan with option to buy), I am inclined to believe that the deal was being negotiated prior to Nabbout's injury.

The signing was confirmed by City on 15th September. Are you sure there is an option to buy?- I have that for Sakhi but not for Natel - but there is no mention of the option in the City press release on 15th.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The signing was confirmed by City on 15th September. Are you sure there is an option to buy?- I have that for Sakhi but not for Natel - but there is no mention of the option in the City press release on 15th.

I could be wrong on the option to buy, but that is what Brasil media were reporting.