Melbourne Football

Daniel Arzani

jeffplz

Eh i think there's an extremely compelling case that Cahill shouldnt go tbh, unless you consider the national team some sort of vehicle for sentiment.
I hold no grudges against Tim tbh, but i find it hard to pick someone that has barely played in 12 months, and that would only feature off the bench anyway when its the exact opposite of the message that you are trying to send to everyone else. I mean Ange's (stated) policy of picking players that were playing was pretty sound logic to me, the NT isnt a feel good football team; its one designed for results and represents everyone.

Cahill's been a giant for Aus over the years and deserves a bit of concession, but imo he got that concession throughout qualifying. You need to be seen to be moving forwards, or at least holding ground; Tim's 'ticking boxes' has gone markedly backwards since the Syria match back in Oct.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Timmy and Arzani go to the World Cup for the same reason: they are capable of things no other players we have are.  Neither will start a game and there's nothing wrong with that.

Cahill is the best header of the ball in his generation of footballlers, and I mean all footballers, not just Australian ones.  His goal sense is second to none as well.  

Arzani can dribble past opponents like no other socceroo can.

Both could play very important cameo roles coming off the bench.

I'm equally happy to have both in the 23.

Spot on, we need to look at Tim's abilities objectively. Not through the lens of him being a shit cunt to us. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Timmy and Arzani go to the World Cup for the same reason: they are capable of things no other players we have are.  Neither will start a game and there's nothing wrong with that.

Cahill is the best header of the ball in his generation of footballlers, and I mean all footballers, not just Australian ones.  His goal sense is second to none as well.  

Arzani can dribble past opponents like no other socceroo can.

Both could play very important cameo roles coming off the bench.

I'm equally happy to have both in the 23.

Completely this.

This 23 man squad is about 3 games only. (Obviously 4 would be amazing but realistically we have no hope of getting out of the group ).

So selection has to soley depend on these games. Forget about building a team for Asian defence or for the next WC cycle leave all that for Arnold. 

As it stands both Arzani and Cahill are needed and I would even argue Arzani has a good shout of starting a game.

Now whether this is the right approach or not is now a mute point after they selected Van Marwijk. Its all about the hear and now.

I would not back anyone else within Australian football to pull a goal out of their arse when we desperately need it like Cahill. He has a knack for doing it over and over again on the big stage no matter how much game time he gets and no matter his age. Until someone else comes in and proves they are prolific in front of goal then for mine he has to be there to come off the bench. 

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Spot on, we need to look at Tim's abilities objectively.

I agree, I'm just suggesting that 'objectively' there's sweet FA to select him on as he's barely played, and it hasnt been due to injury.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I agree, I'm just suggesting that 'objectively' there's sweet FA to select him on as he's barely played, and it hasnt been due to injury.

This is 100% right. There's no justification when looking at game time and recent stats. Comes down to whether he's selected on his past ability and the impact he could make based off that in comparison to who else we have available. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

This is 100% right. There's no justification when looking at game time and recent stats. Comes down to whether he's selected on his past ability and the impact he could make based off that in comparison to who else we have available. 

Yeh i mean look at Jamie Maclaren for example. I'm not a big fan of his at intnl level, but he'd be getting told "Play well, be in form and you'll get your shot", meanwhile that standard doesnt apply to everyone as we're gonna pick Timmy no matter what cos of marketing and the feel good story. 

Tbf to Tim, he's a proven big game player, but at what point does that lose its importance when there's no form to speak of in between? The man is older than time itself now. At what point does it affect the team negatively if player are given preferential treatment?

Edited by bt50

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh i mean look at Jamie Maclaren for example. I'm not a big fan of his at intnl level, but he'd be getting told "Play well, be in form and you'll get your shot", meanwhile that standard doesnt apply to everyone as we're gonna pick Timmy no matter what cos of marketing and the feel good story. 

Tbf to Tim, he's a proven big game player, but at what point does that lose its importance when there's no form to speak of in between? The man is older than time itself now. At what point does it affect the team negatively if player are given preferential treatment?

Agree with all that. But tbh all this McLaren love is a bit annoying and one hattrick should not give someone a pass into the national team either. If those performances were more consistent then that'd be different. It'd be an interesting case study to ask all the players who they'd rather in the NT between MacLaren or Cahill. Especially when everyone knows Cahills value and that this'll be his last hoorah. 

Edited by n i k o

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Agree with all that. But tbh all this McLaren love is a bit annoying and one hattrick should not give someone a pass into the national team either. If those performances were more consistent then that'd be different. It'd be an interesting case study to ask all the players who they'd rather in the NT between MacLaren or Cahill. Especially when everyone knows Cahills value and that this'll be his last hoorah. 

100% agree. Im not a fan either and tbh i think the SPL is a crap league that outside of Celtic isnt any better than the A League. 
I'm not saying Cahill shouldnt be in the squad, just that there is a very compelling case for him not to go.

• Like 2

Imo, it's all a moot point whether he deserves it or not, (well he doesn't when you look at what @bt50 has said)...

... BUT when you look at names like Kruse, Juric, Ruka, Troisi in the squad - then we have no choice but to pick him.

He's better than all of them put together, even when he hasn't played for a year.

7 minutes ago, rass said:

Imo, it's all a moot point whether he deserves it or not, (well he doesn't when you look at what @bt50 has said)...

... BUT when you look at names like Kruse, Juric, Ruka, Troisi in the squad - then we have no choice but to pick him.

He's better than all of them put together, even when he hasn't played for a year.

Is he though? He has def done far more for the national team over his career, and was a better player in every measure, but are you taking him based on what he was in the past, or what he is now? The obvious hurdle to answering that question is we don't know, because he hasnt kicked the bloody thing since October...

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Is he though? He has def done far more for the national team over his career, and was a better player in every measure, but are you taking him based on what he was in the past, or what he is now? The obvious hurdle to answering that question is we don't know, because he hasnt kicked the bloody thing since October...

A bit of a smartarse response I know, but my point is I think the national team is so light on for quality, with those names I mentioned being the best examples, who else do we play?

I guess ask the same question of them now: are they better than him now? I'd argue though that whilst they're at least playing, are they actually any good?

Fwiw, I don't think he deserves it either this time around. But we just don't have any depth.

1 minute ago, rass said:

A bit of a smartarse response I know, but my point is I think the national team is so light on for quality, with those names I mentioned being the best examples, who else do we play?

I guess ask the same question of them now: are they better than him now? I'd argue though that whilst they're at least playing, are they actually any good?

Fwiw, I don't think he deserves it either this time around. But we just don't have any depth.

Nah it's fair. It's why there's enough grey about the whole situation for the public not to be screaming about his inclusion.

• Like 1

Cahill's purpose is to come on and score a fluke header when we are 5-0 down. Nothing more nothing less. He is shit and shouldn't even be named in the squad as he has no hope against world class defenders. I put my faith in McLaren, Mooy, Luongo, and Rogic. Azarni is a wild card and I hope he brings some panache and excitement to our games with some magical touch to assist shots at goal. If he does well we will only have him for a short time, good luck to the young man.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Word is Arzani will be signed by Manchester City and train with them and then be loaned back to us for this coming season. Doing the old Mooysie on us which is fine. 

Dont mind this, will only be good for him training with higher quality player.

I wonder if CFG invite scouts along to those trainings??

44 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Word is Arzani will be signed by Manchester City and train with them and then be loaned back to us for this coming season. Doing the old Mooysie on us which is fine. 

Does that mean we miss out on any chance of making a transfer profit ?