Melbourne Football

Bruce Kamau

Murfy1

I remain optimistic in his development but someone earlier in teh thread suggested that he needs a god manager. The club needs a good manager, the team needs a good manager. It is difficult sometimes to determine whether the problem lies with the player, the gaffer or a mix. But as the seasons have rolled on it has become clearer that the problem was the gaffer. Valkanis is not the answer to the club's on field woes. A decent gaffer will make Kamau a better player, and the whole team better.

10 hours ago, SF33 said:

Firstly, it was far from a perfect game by Kamau, but he did a great job in stepping up when we clearly needed him and getting on the board. Hopefully, breaking the goal drought is a big step for him this season. 

My explanation is the definition of a "vested interest".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vested interest

Kamau plays well for City and is able to make the leap to a higher standard league, he becomes a critical member of the Socceroos and so on. That improvement in his performance benefits City supporters and it benefits him. And that vested interest is why only the worst supporters would not want JVS, Redmayne, Aloisi, Ramsay, Williams, Mifsud, Koren, Dugandzic (I could go on) to have turned it around while they were still with us.

Oh yes, and I've been there, done that and seen it with elite athletes (admittedly not in this sport). Seen players go from essentially nowhere to being at the top of their sport professionally, simply by never being satisfied, giving themselves honest appraisals and working harder than anyone else to fix their deficiencies and many, many players go in the opposite direction, dominating on size or natural ability in the junior ranks, never making those critical self assessments and ultimately getting to a professional level where everyone is good and fizzling out, because they never learnt to work. 

The ones that have succeeded, I could never imagine them making similar "so far, so good" comments when posed with a similar question. They'd say things like they're working on their consistency, that it's been a bit of an up and down season for both them and the team and even the main areas that they are working on to take the next step. There's no harm in public acknowledging that you have a lot of work to do to get where you want to go, especially when they're as seemingly obvious as Kamau's. 

See it as you may. I see it as you have invested in the franchise and the franchise has invested in the player. Looking at the rest of your post the issue here is we're talking about two different comments he made. My comments are relating to his aspirations of playing in La Liga.  Your talking about his current performances and whether he's doing well or not. In fact a lot of what you've written I agree with and its a part of the development process that nearly every athlete goes through to get to the top of their chosen sport. The original comments you made having a go at his ambitions to play in La Liga is what I was questioning and don't agree with.

Edited by n i k o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right next on my shit list.

When was the last time this guy played a good game for us?

He had a decent 30 minute run last week against newcastle on for that he gets the starting nod this week, and then after being invisible for early on in the game, we take arguably our best performing player out of his natural playing position (fitzy) and swap him with this cunt and what does he do? Proceed to play just as shit on the other side of the pitch, falling over himself because he is that much of an unco cunt.

Gets pushed off the ball all the time, hardly if ever beats a defender and sends in aimless crosses to no one. This guy played in a premiership team right? What the fuck happened? Caught a bit of Melbourne city disease? He is just fucking hopeless

Should not be in the starting 11 for the rest of the year and be used as a sub sparingly  

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Right next on my shit list.

When was the last time this guy played a good game for us?

He had a decent 30 minute run last week against newcastle on for that he gets the starting nod this week, and then after being invisible for early on in the game, we take arguably our best performing player out of his natural playing position (fitzy) and swap him with this cunt and what does he do? Proceed to play just as shit on the other side of the pitch, falling over himself because he is that much of an unco cunt.

Gets pushed off the ball all the time, hardly if ever beats a defender and sends in aimless crosses to no one. This guy played in a premiership team right? What the fuck happened? Caught a bit of Melbourne city disease? He is just fucking hopeless

Should not be in the starting 11 for the rest of the year and be used as a sub sparingly  

Although people might be generally disappointed with Nico Colazo this season, to play Kamau in preference to Colazo just shows how poor a coach Valkanis is. Colazo should have started and then Kamau used as an impact sub for the last 20 minutes if required. He's nothing more than that - an impact sub - and may never be anything more than that (he's 22 in a couple of days time). Just doesn't have the strength or stamina to be anything more.

Stupid decision by Valkanis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Although people might be generally disappointed with Nico Colazo this season, to play Kamau in preference to Colazo just shows how poor a coach Valkanis is. Colazo should have started and then Kamau used as an impact sub for the last 20 minutes if required. He's nothing more than that - an impact sub - and may never be anything more than that (he's 22 in a couple of days time). Just doesn't have the strength or stamina to be anything more.

Stupid decision by Valkanis.

Not sure you can just pigeon a bloke and say that's all he is good for.

He deserved to start but played a poor game. He wasn't the only one. 

To get players to play at a higher level and improve they need an opportunity and in this case he probably deserved it. Colazo for me is the bigger disappointment. He loses his starting spot and then offers f/all when he gets on.

It's going to be a long long weekend.

57 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not sure you can just pigeon a bloke and say that's all he is good for.

He deserved to start but played a poor game. He wasn't the only one. 

To get players to play at a higher level and improve they need an opportunity and in this case he probably deserved it. Colazo for me is the bigger disappointment. He loses his starting spot and then offers f/all when he gets on.

It's going to be a long long weekend.

Unless Kamau moves on, he'll have all next season (along with Malik) to prove to us that he's not just another ex-Adelaide Petrillo flop. I don't resile from the view that yesterday was not the time to change a winning team and strategy except as forced to by Cahill's unavailability. Part of the reason we have such disjointed seasons is that we rarely field the same team in consecutive matches.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Unless Kamau moves on, he'll have all next season (along with Malik) to prove to us that he's not just another ex-Adelaide Petrillo flop. I don't resile from the view that yesterday was not the time to change a winning team and strategy except as forced to by Cahill's unavailability. Part of the reason we have such disjointed seasons is that we rarely field the same team in consecutive matches.

Agree with that. That we do change the lineups more than what you want to build consistency. 

But regarding the Kamau selection over Colazo which is basically the only real options I still think Kamau deserved to start. And in hindsight it was a mistake. But do you really think Colazo would have changed things much?

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Agree with that. That we do change the lineups more than what you want to build consistency. 

But regarding the Kamau selection over Colazo which is basically the only real options I still think Kamau deserved to start. And in hindsight it was a mistake. But do you really think Colazo would have changed things much?

I don't think we played to our strengths. I think we should have tweaked the same strategy that worked against Newcastle. Fitzy-Fornaroli-Colazo for 65-70 minutes and then bring on Kamau for Colazo. Colazo doesn't have the pace to be an impact player, but he's a genuine left-footer and good with free-kicks and corners. Kamau just can't last 90 minutes.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we played to our strengths. I think we should have tweaked the same strategy that worked against Newcastle. Fitzy-Fornaroli-Colazo for 65-70 minutes and then bring on Kamau for Colazo. Colazo doesn't have the pace to be an impact player, but he's a genuine left-footer and good with free-kicks and corners. Kamau just can't last 90 minutes.

Your probably right. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kamau is the Most overrated shit cunt on our books.

That cunt infuriates the shit out of me to the point where i had to contain myself from grabbing my TV and fuckin tossing it out of the window when ever he got the ball.

The biggest cunt stain no nappy sand plus could ever remove.

• Like 3

Just now, [LIBBA] said:

That cunt infuriates the shit out of me to the point where i had to contain myself from grabbing my TV and fuckin tossing it out of the window when ever he got the ball.

Agreed.

I think everyone circle jerks a bit over his pace, but jesus his final ball is terrible.

He can't shoot, or cross for shit and yet he still starts over fitzy which puzzles me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

You better bring this to the podcast

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Ha ha. You have just summarised my massive rant that's been building for a month in an accurate, concise, and elegant post.

But he should be ready for Barca soon :huh:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Totally disagree. 

Overrated?  I think your expectations are too high. Statistically he's up with the best for assists. Just needs to score a few more. And if,  it's a big if he gets that sorted he be in top few players in the League.

I get you don't rate him but to call him a cunt stain or whatever you said is a bit over the top. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

You better bring this to the podcast

I will be don't you worry.

Probably cant place it in the same way on there though hahaha

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Totally disagree. 

Overrated?  I think your expectations are too high. Statistically he's up with the best for assists. Just needs to score a few more. And if,  it's a big if he gets that sorted he be in top few players in the League.

I get you don't rate him but to call him a cunt stain or whatever you said is a bit over the top. 

I could change it to shit stain if you like.

He does have the assists tally up, but imo his lack of ability to not only score, but to cough up guilt edge chances or dribble his way into shit positions is frustrating to say the least. 

He set up that goal for Timmy, but imo him being in the starting 11 ahead of Fitzy cost us that game Sunday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Agreed.

I think everyone circle jerks a bit over his pace, but jesus his final ball is terrible.

He can't shoot, or cross for shit and yet he still starts over fitzy which puzzles me.

How many chances did he squander on Sunday either from being indecisive or just inability to cross the ball into a dangerous position?

10 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Ha ha. You have just summarised my massive rant that's been building for a month in an accurate, concise, and elegant post.

But he should be ready for Barca soon :huh:

To me his just a glorified Kuzi without the step overs

FWIW I don't think the abusive language is appropriate, but I agree that Bruce is over-rated. You can beat as many men as you like, but if you can't shoot or get the ball over to someone who can, then it's all worthless endeavour. He runs out of puff very quickly, and is often muscled off the ball. IMO his selection ahead of Fitzy, particularly in recent weeks has been a major error by Valkanis.

42 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Totally disagree. 

the situations that Bruce gets into , he should have 20 assists and 10 goals this season

He's like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets to decision time

Unfortunately somethings like this can't be "taught" after 3 years in the A league he should know what to do in those areas

I've said it before, but his off the ball running ( to an open attacking position) is probably the worst in the A League

Prime example , Fitzy comes on, there is a gaping whole on the defense left between the fullback and centre back, Brattan or Franjic ( can't remember who) play the ball through the gap and Fitzy is in behind the defense, shot on target, turned over by Reddy. ( this is perhaps his first touch of the match)

I reckon I could count on one hand ( for the whole season) where Bruce has done that,

yes he bring some other skills to the table , but I stand by my statement, with the amount of "areas" he gets into, he should have 20 assists and 10 goals

• Like 3

I think for him to be overrated there'd have to be people pumping up his tires, which definitely isn't the case from what I can see.

He infuriates me to no end but I do think there's ability there, he just always seems to take 2-3 too many touches, which is somewhat reflective of the issues we suffer as a team overall in the final third I think.

Haven't given up on him by any means yet but he definitely needs to work on acting on instinct and having the balls to take the first option when it presents itself.

• Like 2