Melbourne Football

Bruce Kamau

Murfy1

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

True, but the question is are you better to have someone that creates 10 chances and converts 1 or 2 or someone that creates 2 chances and converts 1 or 2. For me, its always the former because if they have a good day anything can happen.

Being in the right position is an art in itself and Bruce seems more apt at it than Fitzy in particular, he just has much more problem in the finishing department. Like Troisi for Victory though, we might find once he gets one the floodgates will open.

Again, I don't think that it's an either/or situation. I don't have a problem with Kamau starting, and giving it his all until he's cooked, and then bringing on Fitzgerald. Most matches Bruce looks like he's had it after 60 minutes or so, so why not bring on Fitzgerald at that point and then he can go full bore for 30 minutes?

Another point on our wingers is that Kamau is very right-footed and Colazo is very left. Why not swap them over sometimes, then they can cut in and shoot? Novillo was a good example of a player who could do this. Like you, I think what some of our boys need is the first goal and then more will follow.

There's nothing to lose this season now except more respect, so why not have a go? This is what shits me about Valkanis - he's not prepared to have a go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Again, I don't think that it's an either/or situation. I don't have a problem with Kamau starting, and giving it his all until he's cooked, and then bringing on Fitzgerald. Most matches Bruce looks like he's had it after 60 minutes or so, so why not bring on Fitzgerald at that point and then he can go full bore for 30 minutes?

Another point on our wingers is that Kamau is very right-footed and Colazo is very left. Why not swap them over sometimes, then they can cut in and shoot? Novillo was a good example of a player who could do this. Like you, I think what some of our boys need is the first goal and then more will follow.

There's nothing to lose this season now except more respect, so why not have a go? This is what shits me about Valkanis - he's not prepared to have a go.

Kamau can't shoot

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wanting to pinpoint what the problem is with this club, get a load of this article about Kamau. Fuck me...it's got to be a pisstake.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/melbourne-citys-bruce-kamau-dreaming-big/u1wxr814wrk717gvq15fgprv1

The 21-year-old has taken another step in his burgeoning 2016/17 after joining Melbourne City from Adelaide United, but hopes this is just the beginning.

Bruce Kamau is relishing his first season at Melbourne City but hasn't stopped dreaming big with the young Australian winger hoping to use the Hyundai A-League as an avenue to Europe.

Kamau had a breakthrough campaign with Adelaide United last season, playing 18 matches and scoring three goals as the Reds won the premiership-championship double.

But despite starting in Adelaide's last six matches, including their 3-1 grand final triumph over Western Sydney Wanderers where he scored the opening goal, Kamau decided to leave South Australia before 2016/17 with the aim of being a regular starter.

The 21-year-old has appeared in 17 of City's games and has started 14 - already five more starts than last season - while his performances have been decisive as he leads his new club for assists (6) and is second for successful dribbles (26). "So far, so good," Kamau told Goal after unveiling Nike's Hypervenom III in Melbourne. I came here in search of more game time and I think so far I've achieved that. The team environment that I've come into is great… and I'm enjoying my time here." And on Saturday, Kamau will be vital as a weakened City face a resurgent Roar at AAMI Park in a crucial top six clash.  In his third year in the Hyundai A-League, Kamau has proven himself to be one of the competition's most dangerous wingers. 

The speedster isn't afraid to discuss his career ambitions - "I'd like to play in Europe" - and has made a smart move by joining City with the club's international connections. But when asked what his dream transfer would be, it's not Manchester City and the Premier League that comes to mind for Kamau. "Barcelona is my favourite team, so coming up against them in La Liga would be a dream-come-true, or even playing for them," he said. "That would be a good fit, hopefully. You've got to dream big." Nike's Hypervenom III are available online or in Australian stores.

"So far, so good. I came here in search of more game time and I think so far I've achieved that."

"Barcelona is my favourite team...that would be a good fit."

And there it is. These guys are so deluded that Bruce Kamau is looking at this season as a fucking success. As long as he's starting (or even after being dropped to the bench, as he was last week apparently), he couldn't care less what the results are. Newsflash, Bruce: if you don't significantly improve over the next year or so, you'll be lucky to carve out a long A-League career. Barcelona...Jesus Christ.

• Like 1

Just now, n i k o said:

@SF33

"Barcelona is my favourite team...that would be a good fit."

Regarding this comment do you know what he said in between as it seems there's something missing there. 

Well, yeah, it's all in the text above. I don't think I really took it out of context. Here's the full quote.

But when asked what his dream transfer would be, it's not Manchester City and the Premier League that comes to mind for Kamau.

"Barcelona is my favourite team, so coming up against them in La Liga would be a dream-come-true, or even playing for them," he said. "That would be a good fit, hopefully. You've got to dream big."

4 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Well, yeah, it's all in the text above. I don't think I really took it out of context. Here's the full quote.

But when asked what his dream transfer would be, it's not Manchester City and the Premier League that comes to mind for Kamau.

"Barcelona is my favourite team, so coming up against them in La Liga would be a dream-come-true, or even playing for them," he said. "That would be a good fit, hopefully. You've got to dream big."

Don't get me wrong I didn't say you did take it out of context. I was just interested to know what he said between there. However I have no problem with what he's said. He's young and ambitious. It'd actually be disappointing for a kid like that not to dream big. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Don't get me wrong I didn't say you did take it out of context. I was just interested to know what he said between there. However I have no problem with what he's said. He's young and ambitious. It'd actually be disappointing for a kid like that not to dream big. 

No Niko, his comments are deluded and disgraceful and symptomatic of everything wrong with this club. :droy:

:tooth: jesus christ the state of this forum sometimes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rass said:

How can he be hunky dory being a mediocre winger in the A-League, if he has said he wants to play in Europe?

Well, that's my question too.

"So far, so good. I came here in search of more game time and I think so far I've achieved that."

Certainly sounds like a bloke that is pretty happy with how his career has progressed over the past 12 months or so. He's in terrible form, he will only start on the pitch this week by default (there's no-one else) after being relegated to the bench, he's getting ripped by the commentators every time he plays for us, the team is in freefall and somehow he seems pretty comfortable with how it's all going because he's started more games for us than he did last season.

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

No Niko, his comments are deluded and disgraceful and symptomatic of everything wrong with this club. :droy:

:tooth: jesus christ the state of this forum sometimes

Well, thanks for your contribution. We're lucky that you visited this thread to deliver such wisdom.

It's an unfortunate article. Perhaps every young footballer should dream of playing for Barca, but it's the way it comes across that hurts. I would have thought that these interviews and articles would vetted by the club's PR department. When I look at the state of Citizens and City Voice it makes me think that the rot is off field as well as on.

21 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Well, that's my question too.

Certainly sounds like a bloke that is pretty happy with how his career has progressed over the past 12 months or so. He's in terrible form, he will only start on the pitch this week by default (there's no-one else) after being relegated to the bench, he's getting ripped by the commentators every time he plays for us, the team is in freefall and somehow he seems pretty comfortable with how it's all going because he's started more games for us than he did last season.

Well, thanks for your contribution. We're lucky that you visited this thread to deliver such wisdom.

You're welcome

I'm just tired of over dramatic reactions. Bad enough that the majority of the league blow up every one of our incidents, we then have our own suppprters making big deals over frivolous things like a kid dreaming of playing for Barca. 

That's not the point. The point is that anyone who has watched Kamau constantly make wrong decisions and fuck things up inside the box over the past two months would tell you that he looks like he has no confidence at the moment. So the fact that he's talking about his move and this season like it's been a great success so far (and that the idea of playing La Liga has even crossed his mind) is just baffling.

Edited by SF33

2 hours ago, SF33 said:

That's not the point. The point is that anyone who has watched Kamau constantly make wrong decisions and fuck things up inside the box over the past two months would tell you that he looks like he has no confidence at the moment. So the fact that he's talking about his move and this season like it's been a great success so far (and that the idea of playing La Liga has even crossed his mind) is just baffling.

If you've ever and I mean EVER worked with players that are at a young age and are on the correct pathway towards the top of any sport you will know that having an idea of playing at the top of their sport is a normal mental process. In fact there are endless amounts of texts that prove that a certain level of brainwashing occurs to athletes that eventually reach the pinnacle of their sport. The problem is your seeing this through the eyes of a supporter that has no vested interest in the career of Bruce Kamau. You can sit behind your PC and criticise the boy for dreaming big becasue being critical doesn't affect you. But for Bruce to think and say the things you want him to say would be a perfect way to paralyse and destroy any chance he may have of going as far as he can go.

I say this as someone involved in a sport who has a vested interest in top young athletes getting to the top of the game. Sorry to say but you couldn't be more wrong in your views and thinking in my opinion of course.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's an unfortunate article. Perhaps every young footballer should dream of playing for Barca, but it's the way it comes across that hurts. I would have thought that these interviews and articles would vetted by the club's PR department. When I look at the state of Citizens and City Voice it makes me think that the rot is off field as well as on.

Its an article written by a Sydney based journalist who is a WSW supporter who has some insights from a mere cursory look at MCFC. Even though his examination is lazy and superficial with no actual investigative reporting even Ray Gatt can see what is going on.

It's great that he has dreams. Some areas in the article suggests that he is well on his way to his dream based on his performances this season, which I think is inaccurate. I think it's more destructive to a player of his age to make him believe a delusion rather than telling him the truth, and in truth he is far off the European standard and that his dream is nowhere near reality.

But good luck to him and hope he achieves whatever he desires with his feet firmly on the ground rather than his head in the clouds as he has a lot of work to do, a lot of work, as in reality is he is an average player at this standard.

Also Sydney-centric media consistently borders on stupidity so it is best ignored.

52 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think it's more destructive to a player of his age to make him believe a delusion rather than telling him the truth, and in truth he is far off the European standard and that his dream is nowhere near reality.

Do you think he doesn't know the gap between where he is now and La liga or that someone assisting his development hasn't already spoken to him and outlined the areas of his development he needs to improve. 

Regarding the bolded part what is the real truth that you would want him to want him to acknowldge and dwell on? His shit performances? You would rather he is constantly reminding himself how far away he is from La Liga rather than focus on how much closer he is getting with each day? Do you see the mental shift I'm talking about? Your comments are pure and simple dream killers and would destroy any chance of this kid making it should you ever come in contact of his career. 

Edited by n i k o

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Do you think he doesn't know the gap between where he is now and La liga or that someone assistant his development hasn't already spoken to him and outlined the areas of his development he needs to improve. 

Regarding the bolded part what is the real truth that you would want him to want him to acknowldge and dwell on? His shit performances? You would rather he is constantly reminding himself how far away he is from La Liga rather than focus on how much closer he is getting with each day? Do you see the mental shift I'm talking about? Your comments are pure and simple dream killers and would destroy any chance of this kid making it should you ever come in contact of his career. 

Many said Trump would never be president :ph34r:

Do you think he doesn't know the gap between where he is now and La liga or that someone assistant his development hasn't already spoken to him and outlined the areas of his development he needs to improve. 

If that's what you understood from my post then you haven't understood it.

I just don't want him to go down the road many have travelled and failed. And I want him to end up a Barca, why wouldn't I. 

Reality never kills dreams.

The more attune you are with where you are the more you understand what you need to do to get where you want to go.

The last thing the young need is to be tapped on the head and given a false sense of reality. The truth is he is an average A league player with a lot of deficiencies. His first step is remove those deficiencies from his game to create a foundation for his future aspirations. Without the foundation he won't achieve his goal.

Like it or not that's the way the world works.

Hope this clarifies my previous post.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If that's what you understood from my post then you haven't understood it.

I just don't want him to go down the road many have travelled and failed. And I want him to end up a Barca, why wouldn't I. 

Reality never kills dreams.

The more attune you are with where you are the more you understand what you need to do to get where you want to go.

The last thing the young need is to be tapped on the head and given a false sense of reality. The truth is he is an average A league player with a lot of deficiencies. His first step is remove those deficiencies from his game to create a foundation for his future aspirations. Without the foundation he won't achieve his goal.

Like it or not that's the way the world works.

Hope this clarifies my previous post.

Either you haven't explained yourself well enough or i have interpreted it correctly and you don't realise the gravity of your comments and what they mean in the context of 'making it' as an athlete. Of course there is an awareness of deficiencies, weaknesses, strengths etc. Without doubt athletes know and work hard at the areas they need improving. Your failing to understand the link between development and having a mentality that will take an athlete to the top.

I'll put it to you this way, any aspiring athlete that hasn't made it but is on the right path has a false sense of reality. Because reality is, and going by the numbers, you won't make it. And reality is they haven't made it yet. So until you make it there has to be a false sense of reality that you will make it. In this moment as we speak in Bruce's mind he will play in La Liga for Barcelona one day. That doesn't mean he thinks he can play right now. But he believes he will one day. And in this moment he is absolutely right. Who are you or any one of us to tell him otherwise. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Either you haven't explained yourself well enough or i have interpreted it correctly and you don't realise the gravity of your comments and what they mean in the context of 'making it' as an athlete. Of course there is an awareness of deficiencies, weaknesses, strengths etc. Without doubt athletes know and work hard at the areas they need improving. Your failing to understand the link between development and having a mentality that will take an athlete to the top.

I'll put it to you this way, any aspiring athlete that hasn't made it but is on the right path has a false sense of reality. Because reality is, and going by the numbers, you won't make it. And reality is they haven't made it yet. So until you make it there has to be a false sense of reality that you will make it. In this moment as we speak in Bruce's mind he will play in La Liga for Barcelona one day. That doesn't mean he thinks he can play right now. But he believes he will one day. And in this moment he is absolutely right. Who are you or any one of us to tell him otherwise. 

I think we are talking about the same thing in two different ways.

Anyway may he get to where he wants to be, all strength to him.

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

If you've ever and I mean EVER worked with players that are at a young age and are on the correct pathway towards the top of any sport you will know that having an idea of playing at the top of their sport is a normal mental process. In fact there are endless amounts of texts that prove that a certain level of brainwashing occurs to athletes that eventually reach the pinnacle of their sport. The problem is your seeing this through the eyes of a supporter that has no vested interest in the career of Bruce Kamau. You can sit behind your PC and criticise the boy for dreaming big becasue being critical doesn't affect you. But for Bruce to think and say the things you want him to say would be a perfect way to paralyse and destroy any chance he may have of going as far as he can go.

I say this as someone involved in a sport who has a vested interest in top young athletes getting to the top of the game. Sorry to say but you couldn't be more wrong in your views and thinking in my opinion of course.

As far as I'm concerned, Kamau is young, but he's not that young. He looks about 15, but he's nearly 22. He's at a critical time in his career, really at the age where he should be seriously pushing for the Socceroos, if he holds such high ambitions. And of course, I do have a vested interest in the career of Bruce Kamau, as long as he's at Melbourne City. Because if he was playing anywhere near well enough to be courting offers from even a mid-level European club, our own club would be benefitting much more from his play. Ditto, if he explodes and becomes a star for the national team. So yes, I do have an interest.

The fact is, he looks further away from realising his dreams than he did three months ago.  I could argue that he looks further away than he did before he signed with us. Who's to say he is on the right path? He was relegated to the bench in our last game, because he basically gave Valkanis no alternative.

I'm sure for every promising "brainwashed" young athlete around Kamau's age that realises his potential, there must be ten that never make it (many of whom would find themselves chewed up and spat out to the semi-pro leagues by their mid-20s) because they just kept hearing that they were God's gift and never developed the ability to effectively critique their own play, nor the discipline to strengthen their obvious weaknesses.

I like the kid having ambition but to make it in Europe you need to be able to do something outstanding, which he doesn't.  Being good at something isn't good enough for europe

I think of someone like awer mabil, he probably has the same talents as kamau.  But he is electric quick and always goes forward,  that's why he went to Denmark and doing some OK things 

37 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I'm sure for every promising "brainwashed" young athlete around Kamau's age that realises his potential, there must be ten that never make it (many of whom would find themselves chewed up and spat out to the semi-pro leagues by their mid-20s) because they just kept hearing that they were God's gift and never developed the ability to effectively critique their own play, nor the discipline to strengthen their obvious weaknesses.

Mauk comes to mind, and Bouzanis is not far off.

1 hour ago, neio said:

I like the kid having ambition but to make it in Europe you need to be able to do something outstanding, which he doesn't.  Being good at something isn't good enough for europe

I think of someone like awer mabil, he probably has the same talents as kamau.  But he is electric quick and always goes forward,  that's why he went to Denmark and doing some OK things 

Fuck sake everyone - this whole interview is get the new hypervenom boots on the market. Nothing to do with how we perform or how Kamau really delivers, this has been planned, we all thought as this kid was going to deliver, make money for Nike and our club. Again I work for Nike and this has been planned.

Edited by Mr MO

5 hours ago, SF33 said:

As far as I'm concerned, Kamau is young, but he's not that young. He looks about 15, but he's nearly 22. He's at a critical time in his career, really at the age where he should be seriously pushing for the Socceroos, if he holds such high ambitions. And of course, I do have a vested interest in the career of Bruce Kamau, as long as he's at Melbourne City. Because if he was playing anywhere near well enough to be courting offers from even a mid-level European club, our own club would be benefitting much more from his play. Ditto, if he explodes and becomes a star for the national team. So yes, I do have an interest.

The fact is, he looks further away from realising his dreams than he did three months ago.  I could argue that he looks further away than he did before he signed with us. Who's to say he is on the right path? He was relegated to the bench in our last game, because he basically gave Valkanis no alternative.

To me you being a member is not having a vested interest within this circumstance. Only those that can impact his career directly have vested interests. Anyway I've said my peice and reiterating it would be simply going in circles. It certainly won't change my views based on my research, understanding and personal experience of athletes mentality when aiming to reach the top of any chosen sport. 

Edited by n i k o

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

To me you being a member is not having a vested interest within this circumstance. Only those that can impact his career directly have vested interests. Anyway I've said my peice and reiterating it would be simply going in circles. It certainly won't change my views based on my research, understanding and personal experience of athletes mentality when aiming to reach the top of any chosen sport. 

Firstly, it was far from a perfect game by Kamau, but he did a great job in stepping up when we clearly needed him and getting on the board. Hopefully, breaking the goal drought is a big step for him this season. 

My explanation is the definition of a "vested interest".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vested interest

Kamau plays well for City and is able to make the leap to a higher standard league, he becomes a critical member of the Socceroos and so on. That improvement in his performance benefits City supporters and it benefits him. And that vested interest is why only the worst supporters would not want JVS, Redmayne, Aloisi, Ramsay, Williams, Mifsud, Koren, Dugandzic (I could go on) to have turned it around while they were still with us.

Oh yes, and I've been there, done that and seen it with elite athletes (admittedly not in this sport). Seen players go from essentially nowhere to being at the top of their sport professionally, simply by never being satisfied, giving themselves honest appraisals and working harder than anyone else to fix their deficiencies and many, many players go in the opposite direction, dominating on size or natural ability in the junior ranks, never making those critical self assessments and ultimately getting to a professional level where everyone is good and fizzling out, because they never learnt to work. 

The ones that have succeeded, I could never imagine them making similar "so far, so good" comments when posed with a similar question. They'd say things like they're working on their consistency, that it's been a bit of an up and down season for both them and the team and even the main areas that they are working on to take the next step. There's no harm in public acknowledging that you have a lot of work to do to get where you want to go, especially when they're as seemingly obvious as Kamau's. 

• Like 1