Melbourne Football

Rd 22: #MCYvSYD AAMI Park, Sat 5 Mar 2016, 7.30 pm

NuggetsMcGreggor

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We won in spite of any coherent tactics and functioning formation. Was a really strange way we played tonight. 

Massive win but does zero for any confidence next few weeks. Will enjoy it nonetheless. 

Exactly. We were out possessed but were brilliant where it counted. That was the difference.

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah I watched the replay and it Wassnt a red. Kisnorbo knew exactly what he was doing. Had that smirk he does on his face the whole aftermath ahah

The guy is the ultimate pro, the way he milks the fouls when he needs it (typically getting knocked over by a stick insect) & commits one when he knows the price is affordable. Pretty sure he is writing a book titled "101 ways to win at defending".

he was great in the second half. Snuffed out everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

The guy is the ultimate pro, the way he milks the fouls when he needs it (typically getting knocked over by a stick insect) & commits one when he knows the price is affordable. Pretty sure he is writing a book titled "101 ways to win at defending".

Easily his best season for us. He is that old war horse every club needs.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agree with that.

Now he has to improve to just keep his spot ahead of Chapman. 

Well, I'm quite happy to go along and see my City have no discernible game plan and use bizarre tactics, and all the other things that you experts go on about, if that's what will deliver us a 3-0 win in a critical match for us. Perhaps it isn't for the purists but it'll do me every time. The game's about scoring more goals than your opponent and that's what we did tonight. And it was a privilege to be there to see our record-breaking striker named Fornaroli, the best overseas player we've ever had. Enjoyed every minute of it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, I'm quite happy to go along and see my City have no discernible game plan and use bizarre tactics, and all the other things that you experts go on about, if that's what will deliver us a 3-0 win in a critical match for us. Perhaps it isn't for the purists but it'll do me every time. The game's about scoring more goals than your opponent and that's what we did tonight. And it was a privilege to be there to see our record-breaking striker named Fornaroli, the best overseas player we've ever had. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Agree 100%.

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It was a weird match. Great final scoreline but very frustrating to watch. We looked very disjointed, although the second half was an improvement on the first half.

Agree with lots of what's been said.

Wierd game. The pretty narrow 4-4-2 diamond the team played most of the game was mind boggling and just plain wrong. A real stuff up from JVS. It helped Sydney stay pretty comfortable in the first half. We  needed to use the flanks, and sure enough all of our goals had the ball being delievered from wide areas. And the team got better and better unsurprisingly as central players got replaced by wide players (first Fitzgerald for Melling, then Zullo for Caceres). IMO the tactics contributed to the excessive amount of errant passes we saw throughout the game (also at the same time a few players could improve with their passing, in particular the recent signings Malik and Caceres).

Don't let the tactics detract from a truly sublime performance from Bruno Fornaroli, though. He's making a bid to be  this club's best ever signing, and it was a special match of football to watch to see Fornaroli break the A-League record for goals scored in a season, and score the club's second ever A-League hat trick. He's 1 goal away from scoring as many goals as our top strikers over our last 3 seasons combined (Williams last season 3, Williams 2013-14 12, Tadic 2012-13 6). This game was the perfect reminder that no matter what happens in the game that Bruno Fornaroli is always worth the price of admission (and Mooy and Novillo are pretty good value too). A true club hero in the making.

Other noteworthy points:

- Credit to Novillo, he performed well on return and produced a class assist

- It could never be a red on Kisnorbo due to the cover smartly provided by Wilkinson. TBH I'm not too fussed by Kisnorbo doing whatever it takes to prevent a goal. I wouldn't want to see a lot of cynical defending, but would like to see more grit and tough experience with our defending

- Second cleansheet all season, so credit to Malik, the back four and Sorensen

- Credit to the great atmosphere from the Melburnians

All up, even though it wasn't a high quality match of champagne football for 90 minutes, it was a match of unforgettable Fornaroli magic.

• Like 6

Don't know what you guys are going on about with regards to formation and tactics, as tonight was a typical 442 with centre diamond and the game style was a typical mid field fight. Sure it wasn't a free flowing game that we are used to but it was great to watch IMO. 

The squad selection was understandable but the chemistry was a bit off as to be expected.

Garuccio LB is a bit questionable but he redeemed himself in the 2nd half

Malik tracking back to plug the holes in defence was good to see and obviously the idea worked seeing we did not concede.

I thought Caseres was good in possession and held the ball up well until the others were in better positions.

Bruno, Harry and Mooy, well , nothing to say really except brilliant.

Overall, the structure dictated the style of play to an extent, and the way the game panned out was to be expected with a solid defence, a mid field battle and build up and brilliant finishing. A very pretty picture indeed.

Should hold up well next week against Adelaide.

12 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Agree with lots of what's been said.

Wierd game. The pretty narrow 4-4-2 diamond the team played most of the game was mind boggling and just plain wrong. A real stuff up from JVS. It helped Sydney stay pretty comfortable in the first half. We  needed to use the flanks, and sure enough all of our goals had the ball being delievered from wide areas. And the team got better and better unsurprisingly as central players got replaced by wide players (first Fitzgerald for Melling, then Zullo for Caceres). IMO the tactics contributed to the excessive amount of errant passes we saw throughout the game (also at the same time a few players could improve with their passing, in particular the recent signings Malik and Caceres).

Don't let the tactics detract from a truly sublime performance from Bruno Fornaroli, though. He's making a bid to be  this club's best ever signing, and it was a special match of football to watch to see Fornaroli break the A-League record for goals scored in a season, and score the club's second ever A-League hat trick. He's 1 goal away from scoring as many goals as our top strikers over our last 3 seasons combined (Williams last season 3, Williams 2013-14 12, Tadic 2012-13 6). This game was the perfect reminder that no matter what happens in the game that Bruno Fornaroli is always worth the price of admission (and Mooy and Novillo are pretty good value too). A true club hero in the making.

Other noteworthy points:

- Credit to Novillo, he performed well on return and produced a class assist

- It could never be a red on Kisnorbo due to the cover smartly provided by Wilkinson. TBH I'm not too fussed by Kisnorbo doing whatever it takes to prevent a goal. I wouldn't want to see a lot of cynical defending, but would like to see more grit and tough experience with our defending

- Second cleansheet all season, so credit to Malik, the back four and Sorensen

- Credit to the great atmosphere from the Melburnians

All up, even though it wasn't a high quality match of champagne football for 90 minutes, it was a match of unforgettable Fornaroli magic.

3rd hat-trick in the league, 4th overall. Williams against Wellington. Koren against Newcastle. Mooy against Heidelberg.

• Like 1

Snoozefest 1st half
caceras is still shit
crowd numbers being boosted, doubt there was 8500ish
zullo must be very unfit if gooch is starting over him, at fault for the kisnorbo incident, lost his man for a free header in the 1st half and more lacklustre passing
finally a clean sheet but fuck me dead could sorenson hit a fucking target when kicking it long

• Like 1

I'm overseas and managed to watch the game what a great win but cam across an article about an apparent "violent mass brawl" before the game at the imperial. Just wondering if whatever happened was anywhere near as bad as the herald sun is making it out to be. 

25 minutes ago, coys said:

I'm overseas and managed to watch the game what a great win but cam across an article about an apparent "violent mass brawl" before the game at the imperial. Just wondering if whatever happened was anywhere near as bad as the herald sun is making it out to be. 

Supposedly their was a couple of deaths but outside of that nothing too major.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coys said:

Drunk 40 year old fights three 15 year olds doesn't sell papers sadly 

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-both-coaches-praise-citys-recordbreaker-bruno-fornaroli-20160305-gnbl05.html

A-League: Both coaches praise City's record-breaker Bruno Fornaroli

Bruno Fornaroli of Melbourne City and Andrew Hoole of Sydney FC have an argument during the game.

Bruno Fornaroli of Melbourne City and Andrew Hoole of Sydney FC have an argument during the game. Photo: Getty Images

Melbourne City boss John van 't Schip hailed record-breaking striker Bruno Fornaroli on Saturday after the Uruguayan front man scored a hat-trick to give City a 3-0 win over Sydney, in the process breaking the A-League scoring record.

"He's been important. Up front he's always available to play the ball into. He fights, he's the first one to roll up his sleeves... to go out and do the dirty work. And, of course, he's scoring goals. He's been great for us and the A-League," said the City boss of his South American star.

Melbourne City fans turned up in numbers for Saturday's match.

Melbourne City fans turned up in numbers for Saturday's match. Photo: Getty Images

Vanquished coach Graham Arnold believed that despite the scoreline, his side more than matched City until tiredness and fatigue — they had played a draining Asian Champions League match against Guangzhou Evergrande midweek — took their toll in the last 20 minutes, the period when Fornaroli scored his second and third goals.

Still the Sydney boss, himself an ex-international striker, had nothing but praise for the Uruguayan striker.

"He's outstanding. I don't know how Melbourne City fit him in the cap. (Arnie just alerting FFA to some possible salary cap skulduggery at City ala Glory :droy:) You have to congratulate them, he's top shelf. He reads the game well, he's always in the right place at the right time."

Arnold's contention that his makeshift team was at least the equal of City bore a ring of truth, particularly in the first half when they often looked the more organised side.

He did not complain about the lack of a red card for City captain Paddy Kisnorbo close to the end of the opening half, even though it proved to be a pivotal moment.

Kisnorbo hauled down Filip Holosko as he ran on to a long through ball. The foul was paid, and Kisnorbo was booked, but not sent off, as Kisnorbo's teammate, Alex Wilkinson, had managed to get behind and Kisnorbo was no longer the last man.

From the subsequent free-kick City cleared their lines, the ball was played through to Fornaroli and he gave the hosts the lead.

Arnold, who has complained bitterly about a lack of action against Melbourne Victory striker Kosta Barbarouses for a foul last week, made no such fuss this time even though he acknowledged it was probably a critical moment.

"It probably wasn't a red card, although I know Alex Wilkinson well and he wouldn't have caught Holosko. He had the speed of him and he would have been one on one with the keeper," said the rueful Sydney boss.

Van 't Schip alluded to the opening 45 minutes, suggesting that "it was a strange game".

"In the first half it was more like a game of chess, it wasn't open like it normally is with our games.

"But I am happy that we have a clean sheet, it's something we are working on. They didn't create that many chances."

On the Kisnorbo incident, not surprisingly, he didn't think it was a red-card offence.

"I think it was a yellow, Alex was still next to him or behind him."

Van 't Schip was, however, delighted with his team's finishing.

"We were very clinical tonight, which was good," he said.

Melbourne City need to do all they can to market Bruno to the public.  I havnt seen anything around Melbourne with his face on it.

They better step up their game if we make finals

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Melbourne City need to do all they can to market Bruno to the public.  I havnt seen anything around Melbourne with his face on it.

They better step up their game if we make finals

City Voice. Put him on marquee wages then posters everywhere! Next home game everyone gets a Bruno mask and some Tuna sandwiches.

Probably get shot down for this

but for Bruno's goal in the first half, we we fucking awful

this against a team playing its 3rd match in 7 days, with supposedly 4 starting 11 players out ?

we couldn't string together 3 passes,

Caceras was woeful, no surprise when he left the field

If Bruno hadn't scored near the end of of the first half , I'm sure that the team would have been treated to a loud reception of Booing as they left the field

Sydney had more of the match and half chances to half time

Paddy should have been sent off, seriously a tackle that would have been appropriate in Union, no attempt to play the ball at all.

Second half, our passing , positioning and general play better, but we always looked capable of conceding

a few minutes of magical interplay between the Holy Trinity saved us

need to lift the intensity for next week

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Second half, our passing , positioning and general play better, but we always looked capable of conceding

a few minutes of magical interplay between the Holy Trinity saved us

need to lift the intensity for next week

I reckon this is due to all of us being so used to conceding, I felt the same way watching. But the defence played really well and Sydney had no meaningful chances in the second half, bar a couple of stray shots here and there and the only saves I remember Sorenson having to make were crosses into the box. Kisnorbo was almost best on ground last night he was immense and couldnt have been sent off given what the rules say. He knew exactly what he was doing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I reckon this is due to all of us being so used to conceding, I felt the same way watching. But the defence played really well and Sydney had no meaningful chances in the second half, bar a couple of stray shots here and there and the only saves I remember Sorenson having to make were crosses into the box. Kisnorbo was almost best on ground last night he was immense and couldnt have been sent off given what the rules say. He knew exactly what he was doing 

IMO Sorensen was under pressure only once - Holosko's header that grazed the outside of the post - the rest of the time he was doing what GKs are there to do - tidy up at the back, take the crosses etc. An easy shift for him. I too thought our defence was very good - people keep bagging Caceras, Malik and others, but the defenders chased, covered, hassled and harried all through the match. It's all about denying the opposition clear scoring opportunities - not about looking pretty-pretty. Don't know what people are complaining about. A 3-0 win dammit. What more do you want? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO Sorensen was under pressure only once - Holosko's header that grazed the outside of the post - the rest of the time he was doing what GKs are there to do - tidy up at the back, take the crosses etc. An easy shift for him. I too thought our defence was very good - people keep bagging Caceras, Malik and others, but the defenders chased, covered, hassled and harried all through the match. It's all about denying the opposition clear scoring opportunities - not about looking pretty-pretty. Don't know what people are complaining about. A 3-0 win dammit. What more do you want? 

We want consistently good performances.  You can't just judge a performance on the result and I'm surprised you're implying we should.  Next week we could play the same way and lose 2-0, because we looked disorganised and poor for most of the game.  If JVS is happy with us playing like that then that's why he has his 33% record, thankfully it seems he admitted we weren't that great after the game.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Herman Cain said:

We want consistently good performances.  You can't just judge a performance on the result and I'm surprised you're implying we should.  Next week we could play the same way and lose 2-0, because we looked disorganised and poor for most of the game.  If JVS is happy with us playing like that then that's why he has his 33% record, thankfully it seems he admitted we weren't that great after the game.

Agreed. Great result, unconvincing performance and a weird game. We were full strength, at home, against a depleted mid-table team, with a poor attacking record who played 3 days earlier and we were outplayed in the first half. We didn't have a single attempt on goal in the first 30mins. Sydney didn't really park the bus either, they had most of the ball and territory.

Nice work by JVS to play a new system in the first half that made us even more vulnerable out wide and kept Mooy away from the ball. Genius.

On a side note, I was surprised to see Gooch start in front of Zullo and Clisby. I thought he was ordinary against Wellington

• Like 2

My take on the game:

Before hand i was expecting Sydney, regardless of outs, to be very competitive.  With the man i rate as the best coach in the league in charge, I thought they would be hard to break down, dangerous on the break and very physical all over the ground.  On top of that whilst we had close to a full list to chose from, our form was terrible, coming off the back of a lacklustre loss to strugglers Wellington.  Frankly, i thought Sydney would win.

The coaching staff must have had similar concerns.  To negate Sydney's physical midfield they decided to pack that space and play narrower, with a diamond midfield.  Surprisingly, we sacrificed some of Aaron Mooy's attacking ability by playing him on the right side of the diamond, with Caceres at the point and Melling on the left.  Malik was in the holding position, as expected.  We seemed to be knowingly sacrificing some of our attacking flair (with a narrow pairing up front and Mooy playing deeper) to shore up our defence. 

The first half turned into an arm wrestle, both sides had their chances.  Sydney netted, thanks largely to Malik coming well out of position but failing to win the ball, but fortunately they were offside and it was disallowed.  On top of that Holosko missed a header on a bit of an angle but from point blank and Sorenson also needed to made a good save.  At the other end Malik butchered a wonderful chance to volley home and after good lead up work, Fornaroli's touch let him down and a good chance went begging.  Defensively Garruccio was finding Hoole a handful on our left and wasn't getting a lot of help from Melling.  Fortunately as half time approached the masterful trio of Novillo-Mooy-Fornaroli smashed them on the counter and suddenly we had the lead.

At half time we saw Melling off for Fitzgerald and Mooy changed sides, which turned out to be very important.  Fitzgerald was suddenly a threat going forward, that the tiring Sydney players were having trouble handling and Mooy was easily able to negate the previously dangerous Hoole, freeing Garrucio to be another attacking threat.  At the back Kisnorbo lifted a gear or 2 and suddenly Sydney, who were probably tiring, were struggling to stay in the game.

All in all it was no surprise that we ran over them in the last 20 minutes as Fornaroli completed the striker's masterclass he had begun in the first half.

Summary: It was hardly a spectacle (apart from a sensational hat trick to the greatest striker to ever play in the A League), but in my mind our tactics were very effective against a tough opponent.  The quality of play was about what I would expect from us- that is fairly patchy, with a few moments of brilliance interspersed with a lot of mediocrity. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

You guys are amazing.

Such an unconvincing win where we won defensively, won the midfield battle, destroyed their defence and..... oh yeah, we won 3 0.

Very unconvincing I reckon.... geez.

against a team with their back four and attacking threat not playing