Melbourne Football

RD 20: CCM at home

Dylan

A strange experience watching a home game on TV. Does anyone know the attendance figure BTW?

Positives:

We won, we won from behind for the first time this season and we weren't put to sleep by JVS at half time.

Mooy more involved in a 4-3-3

Fitzgerald impressive, all he needs to do is to finish but a step up on Willo

1 pen and should have been given another, putting pressure on opponents in the box

Great to see Bruno's response to not scoring, if only every other player was as committed.

First game in 3 where we've finished with 11 players

Negatives:

Terrible looking injury to Storm Roux

The crowd numbers looked thin on telly

Suzi offered nothing apart from a stopover, I know that he's young but he doesn't look like an intelligent footballer

First half looked disjointed with no intensity.

Missed the sausage.

Crowd numbers looked thin at the ground too. Disappointing.

Good to get the points and boost our goal difference but a very lacklustre first half from us. Fornaroli wasn't at his best but you could see his desire to score.

Terrible to see Roux stretchered off, hope he recovers well for next season.

Poor Bruno, worked incredibly hard off the ball things just didn't go his way today. Just needs to get the chin up vs the nux and he'll have a bag.

Thought Malik was quite solid in the air and often found players by feet. 

Good to see Mooy produce some trademark brilliance. 

Crowd turn out was pretty disappointing tonight but with the wins the crowds will come.

Also good on the blind soccer players at half time, big respect for them! 

46 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

8.4k official attendances, which is dissapointing but still not drastically bad. Would've liked to approach 10k today.

You can't believe anything in the Herald-Sun but they report less

But it was the Mariners that shocked the 7535 crowd in the 34th minute with a counter attack eerily similar to those it conducted against Melbourne Victory in Geelong last month.

Really good win. Could have had a lot more goals too, between the 2 that hit the post, the non pen, at least 1 good save and tuna not being himself.

The match itself was like 2 different games. First half we were the better side, but not by enough.Second half we had a lot more intensity and the midfield linked up to the forwards really well.

Random comments: Franjic actually looked like the player we signed today.

Overall a really good team performance. 

Really good second half but we needed that after the first.

But nothing to get carried away about, ccm are really poor defensively, our first goal I was watching them set up and they had Liam rose marking both zullo and kisnorbo. And the free kick, is there any danger of izzo setting up a wall and himself correctly. He had 3 men outside the post on the wall and he was way to far to the right.

Biggest dampener was the complete fuckwit I had behind me, who for 10 minutes yelled abuse at Roux telling him to get up you weak C. Absolutely disgraceful and it was the first time I've really been disappointed to be apart of active area.

33 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

You can't believe anything in the Herald-Sun but they report less

My source was http://www.ultimatealeague.com/blog/2016/02/city-power-past-mariners-in-second-half/ who seem to always be accurate but maybe not today?

Edited by icantthinkofacoolname

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

By the way, their goal, we put Retre marking Austin. FFS- that match up was only going to end one way. I blame the coach.

The reality is that almost all sides all over the world set up from an attacking corner with a 2 v 1 situation on the half way line - i.e. playing with one spare and using two of the smaller central midfielder types to be one of those two - the problem was that the other defender couldn't get across to austin either - as it happened in front of me i remember frantic being one of the three we had making no ground on austin so i suspect the other was zullo or garuccio 

i was no great player in my day but one of the first team rules i ever learned was that when the ball comes out from an attacking corner you simply have to kill it - shoot from distance whatever because you have a lot of players in front of the ball. like the goal against victory we simply didn't get to the ball and kill it while still in their half. 

i don't think you can blame the coach - retre needed to foul on the half way line - he simply had to bring austin down

by the way did anyone else wonder whether el tuna had collected misfud's boots in error today ?

23 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Anyone heard what happened to Roux?

the feed on twitter when it happened appeared to suggest it was a truly awful break