Melbourne Football

Partaalu Gone to Korea (confirmed)

Heart of Melbourne

20 minutes ago, HeartinHobart said:

The significant threat that Partaalu posed at set pieces will be near impossible to replace! I think this is something that will be a problem until the seasons out

Headers from Set Pieces has been def one of our strengths of the past two seasons... I am pretty sure something we have been best at in the league.

I am disappointed that Erik has gone but I think our new formation with three at the back and two Wing Backs and more space for Mooy means that a solid DM is not as big as priority for us as it was when we played the formation the club used up until this point.

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

Headers from Set Pieces has been def one of our strengths of the past two seasons... I am pretty sure something we have been best at in the league.

I am disappointed that Erik has gone but I think our new formation with three at the back and two Wing Backs and more space for Mooy means that a solid DM is not as big as priority for us as it was when we played the formation the club used up until this point.

Actually Cadete I think the opposite. With the 2 wing backs generally 2 dm are needed and if you go with 1 he has to be immense. 

If true big loss. Still can't work out what's going on. We are in a challenging position and lose a starting player is critical. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jovan said:

Actually Cadete I think the opposite. With the 2 wing backs generally 2 dm are needed and if you go with 1 he has to be immense. 

If true big loss. Still can't work out what's going on. We are in a challenging position and lose a starting player is critical. 

Personally I think we are making too squad changes in general... it can not be helpful for team chemistry.

First everyone was saying how crap he is, turns over so many balls and does not deserve to be in the starting 11, now everyone is crying he is gone. In CFG I trust, that we will get a better replacement or re-arrange our team to be better without him. Me personally? I didn't mind him in the squad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

First everyone was saying how crap he is, turns over so many balls and does not deserve to be in the starting 11, now everyone is crying he is gone. In CFG I trust, that we will get a better replacement or re-arrange our team to be better without him. Me personally? I didn't mind him in the squad. Now Samaras , next

FIXED

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

First everyone was saying how crap he is, turns over so many balls and does not deserve to be in the starting 11, now everyone is crying he is gone. In CFG I trust, that we will get a better replacement or re-arrange our team to be better without him. Me personally? I didn't mind him in the squad.

No. One group of people were saying he's crap. I guess they are quietly happy now (or are wondering how Malik will play in both CB and dm at the same time now). The other group did not think he was crap and are very disappointed right now and are also wondering how Malik can play at CB and dm at the same time.

This strikes me as another FFA cup debacle.

• Like 1

As stated earlier, he had a heavily backloaded contract and in my opinion, many people would view him as a disappointment from what was expected when we signed him. The club has seen a chance to part ways with him and free up significant cap space in the coming seasons, for a player that probably wasn't commanding those wages.

His last six weeks have probably been his best at the club, but he still is somewhat of a liability in midfield imo. In saying that we'll miss what he brings to the table at set pieces both offensively and defensively; he was probably the best in the league in that department.

• Like 5

I'm 50/50 on this one; we will definitely miss him on set pieces, but his passing has sometimes been been questionable and he has been caught out of position on several occasions. If his contract is backloaded that's a positive, opens up more of the cap down the line. Malik or Melling should be able to cover his loss (provided our geriatric CBs stay on the park), but I'm curious as to what the club plans to do in terms of bringing players in now we've got some space in the cap and a marquee spot open.

16 minutes ago, bt50 said:

As stated earlier, he had a heavily backloaded contract and in my opinion, many people would view him as a disappointment from what was expected when we signed him. The club has seen a chance to part ways with him and free up significant cap space in the coming seasons, for a player that probably wasn't commanding those wages.

His last six weeks have probably been his best at the club, but he still is somewhat of a liability in midfield imo. In saying that we'll miss what he brings to the table at set pieces both offensively and defensively; he was probably the best in the league in that department.

Spot on.

I am disappointed to see him leave, I think he leaves a large hole in our side. I don't get all the talk about him constantly losing the ball, his pass percentage compares well to other midfielders in the league so far this season:

Paartalu - 81%

Mooy - 81%

Retre - 85%

Melling - 77%

Caceres - 80%

Isaias - 78%

Corona - 79%

What the stats don't show is that Paarty plays a lot of his defensive passes first touch and he disguises their direction with his body shape. Unlike Retre, who telegraphs to everyone in the stadium where is pass is going. Most of all we will miss his defensive work off the ball, opposition #10s usually have very quiet games against us and opposition strikers got very little service to their feet from midfield (mind you they get great service from out wide). All just because Paarty positions himself properly.

I am worried if Malik has been signed as his direct replacement. Malik is more agile and is a better long pass but is weaker in the air, less of a physical presence and gets caught out of position a lot more.

Farewell Erik, and all the best.               

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, playmaker said:

He is replaced with Malik

I feel Malik replacing Paartalu as a DM will improve our starting line up but Paaralu was one of the biggest earners with-in the cap and one of the better players in the squad so I think we'd be silly to let him leave with out him leave with out re-using the cap space.

45 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I am disappointed to see him leave, I think he leaves a large hole in our side. I don't get all the talk about him constantly losing the ball, his pass percentage compares well to other midfielders in the league so far this season:

Paartalu - 81%

Mooy - 81%

Retre - 85%

Melling - 77%

Caceres - 80%

Isaias - 78%

Corona - 79%

What the stats don't show is that Paarty plays a lot of his defensive passes first touch and he disguises their direction with his body shape. Unlike Retre, who telegraphs to everyone in the stadium where is pass is going. Most of all we will miss his defensive work off the ball, opposition #10s usually have very quiet games against us and opposition strikers got very little service to their feet from midfield (mind you they get great service from out wide). All just because Paarty positions himself properly.

I am worried if Malik has been signed as his direct replacement. Malik is more agile and is a better long pass but is weaker in the air, less of a physical presence and gets caught out of position a lot more.

Farewell Erik, and all the best.               

Problem with stats is that it doesn't show pass effectiveness. Not saying Eric was bad but in the formation we play the DM has to have vision, I think this is his undoing. IMO Malik is better in this regard and I think his miss passes will be less damaging, where Eric's often resulted in a counter that the left the team vulnerable. Time will tell I suppose.

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Problem with stats is that it doesn't show pass effectiveness. Not saying Eric was bad but in the formation we play the DM has to have vision, I think this is his undoing. IMO Malik is better in this regard and I think his miss passes will be less damaging, where Eric's often resulted in a counter that the left the team vulnerable. Time will tell I suppose.

To be honest it's irrelevant right now because due to injuries and a thin squad in defence, Malik is going to have to play at the back for a while.

So the immediate replacement for Paartalu is either Retre or Trifiro (or a youth player).