Melbourne Football

A must win: City v Wanderers 9th January

n i k o

We need to put 4 past Redders and watch Poppa cry like a lil baby. 

If the weather is good, the crowd will be huge and they'll have to open the top stands.

During school holidays, and with a team that is doing well on the table and is building a reputation as being exciting to watch, our derby specials, and our many other non engaged (in the wings) supporters will hopefully be out in force. 

Not sure if we're competing with any other major sport events that day and if they can get 80k to the G for a game of popcorn cricket, surely we can get 15k to arguably the game of the round

6 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

We need to put 4 past Redders and watch Poppa cry like a lil baby. 

If the weather is good, the crowd will be huge and they'll have to open the top stands.

During school holidays, and with a team that is doing well on the table and is building a reputation as being exciting to watch, our derby specials, and our many other non engaged (in the wings) supporters will hopefully be out in force. 

Not sure if we're competing with any other major sport events that day and if they can get 80k to the G for a game of popcorn cricket, surely we can get 15k to arguably the game of the round

Apparently another big bash game between the two Melbourne sides scheduled for Saturday night.

2 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

I'm surprised people watch that shit. Not even the real Cricket ffs 

I agree a horrible form of cricket.

I'm actually thinking the 3 5 2 makes alot of sense with our current list.

Hughes Kisnorbo Clisby 

Franjic.       Retre       Partalu     Zullo

Mooy

Fornaroli  Novillio 

I think the back 3 are the more traditional stay at home defenders and positioning is more important than joining in the build up. Also Hughes even though he was average offers massive experience and hopefully will improve. 

The real strength to this formation it creates an overload in the middle and dependant on competent wing backs that can actually play both ways which Zullo and Franjic can do. 

It also relies massively on a creative number 10 and we have that in Mooy and with the 2 defensive mids shielding gives him extra freedom. 

It will allow Fornaroli to be less isolated and once he has the ball he can instead of looking for midfield support he can look to Novillo. 

The best example I can remember was the 1986 Argentina side. 

I actually think with our players it's possible to play this way very effectively. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Keep Koren as far away from the pitch as possible. I'd rather see Marc Warren line up for us.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. How many times do we need to see Koren go missing in a big game before fans realise that's what he does?

He is at best a bench player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drewmelbcity said:

Apparently another big bash game between the two Melbourne sides scheduled for Saturday night.

Not hard to get 80k to watch cricket, fireworks and kids eating watermelons when tickets for kids were for free. Get kids in for free, the folks will need to take them effectively tripling the crowd size.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drewmelbcity said:

5 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

I'm surprised people watch that shit. Not even the real Cricket ffs 

You guys are as bad as the euro snobs who we can't get along to A-League games. Cricket is cricket and I'll lap up any cricket that's on. It is not surprising at all that people will go to and enjoy a game that they can watch the whole of in an evening and especially when the literal best cricketers in the world are playing. Get with the times, you fogies.

That said, I will definitely be attending our home game at AAMI this week after I play my own game of cricket.

2 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

You guys are as bad as the euro snobs who we can't get along to A-League games. Cricket is cricket and I'll lap up any cricket that's on. It is not surprising at all that people will go to and enjoy a game that they can watch the whole of in an evening and especially when the literal best cricketers in the world are playing. Get with the times, you fogies.

That said, I will definitely be attending our home game at AAMI this week after I play my own game of cricket.

I don't even Cricket, reckon it's batshit boring. But what i do know is that the BBL system of cricket looks like shit, cheap ,money grabbing ploy

FWIW I find cricket boring as well BUT BBL appears to have taken the game and Australia by storm this summer. Maybe its a poor West Indies side, maybe its the shorter format. However one thing that does not surprise me is that play a game at a family friendly time and families will flock to the games. What this means for 5pm/3pm starts I am not sure but pehaps the A-League ought to contemplate 6pm starts.

People go to BBL game for Mexican waves, beach balls and fireworks. We go to football game for winning feeling. That is the difference

Why can we continue to play 5-3-2. Play Novillo and Tuna up front and Mooy behind them to be the playmaker. Both wing back overlap to attack

• Like 1

IMO you don't enhance the reputation of your own sport, or help it to grow, by bagging another competing sport. I've said it before and will say it again - football has to stand on its own two feet and appeal to spectators in its own right, and not rely on there being no competing event in order to attract spectators.

When you read the stories about not being able to buy certain tickets even though there are rows of empty seats, when you read the restrictive rules that apply to A-League football (the caps etc.) and hence restrict its potential, you realise that football can do a lot more to help itself. IMO it would be better doing that than looking over its shoulder at what is going on across the road.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

It's as if other sports are being played at or against them

"If you dont like the sport I like you are stupid. If you dont understand everything about this game even though you are new to it you are stupid. If you disagree with my opinions about this game you are stupid. If you like any other sport other than soccer you are stupid"...

"Why arent people interested in soccer. They are stupid"

• Like 2

If we only have 3 at the back they're going to slowly break us down. I reckon we line up like this so we can control the midfield:

Sorensen

Hughes      -      Kisnorbo
Franjic      -                                           -      Zullo
Paartalu
Mooy               -               Retre
Koren

Fornaroli         -         Novillo

Fornavillo could be the next Neguero ;) 

1 minute ago, Red or Dead said:

If we only have 3 at the back they're going to slowly break us down. I reckon we line up like this so we can control the midfield:

Sorensen

Hughes      -      Kisnorbo
Franjic      -                                           -      Zullo
Paartalu
Mooy               -               Retre
Koren

Fornaroli         -         Novillo

Fornavillo could be the next Neguero ;) 

Fornaroli will probably be the next player that's gets poached from our league, sadly. :(

5 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

Fornaroli will probably be the next player that's gets poached from our league, sadly. :(

Would the club have reason to sell him? He's contracted for another year and the we don't really need the cash. And it's not the same situation as Mooy where everyone in the country wants him to move to a better league to improve.

Just now, illeatyourheart said:

Would the club have reason to sell him? He's contracted for another year and the we don't really need the cash. And it's not the same situation as Mooy where everyone in the country wants him to move to a better league to improve.

Never know with this league, anything could happen, just hope this doesn't happen

16 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I will be suggesting a thorough review of all things ticketing to the club at the next FRG ... 

Yes an absolute must. Standing in the ticketing line for the first time on Saturday I had a good look at ticketing prices for our game. Category A was $67 and Category B was $47 I think. These prices are way over the top. Are these prices a reflection of our crowd numbers v stadium costs? Who determines these prices, club or stadium? 

22 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I will be suggesting a thorough review of all things ticketing to the club at the next FRG ... 

also worth mentioning that Ticketek are increasing the ticket price an extra two bucks on the day of the game ($28.50 to $30.50 for general admission). reckon $30 is the magic number where people think twice about going.

Edited by hyperfuzz
  • Like 1

Have not been following the ticketing prices as I have been a foundation member but haven't the prices increased dramatically over the last year or two? My two mates who come a couple times a season were saying it's $25+ for concession for a general admission?? I remember I bought my dad a ticket to the derby a year or two ago and I'm sure I paid approx. $15 for concession/pensioner??

Edited by Tony999

13 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Have not been following the ticketing prices as I have been a foundation member but haven't the prices increased dramatically over the last year or two? My two mates who come a couple times a season were saying it's $25+ for concession for a general admission?? I remember I bought my dad a ticket to the derby a year or two ago and I'm sure I paid approx. $15 for concession/pensioner??

It's about $19-20, online anyway when i bought them for last weeks game. 

54 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

AAMI Park management, ground security seem to be putting as many barriers as possible in place to stop spectator enjoyment.

My daughter treated as a potential terrorist and having her water bottle confiscated on a 35 degree match day and told she would be refused entry if she kept complaining to entrance security about it. 

High food and drink prices in the stadium

Antagonistic ground security

High ticket prices especially for families

The GA ticket debacle exacerbated by the regular derby ticketing problemsgeneral inflexibility around ticketing and bringing friends or changing seating areas

• Like 1

You can browse the ticket prices here (current for forthcoming WSW match):

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/MCITY1416/venues/MRS/performances/EMHR2016609/tickets

For example, here are the GA prices.

Ticket type Price Per Ticket/Item  
Adult $28.55  
Junior (4-14years inclusive) $7.65  
Concession: (Pension/Student) $19.37  
Family (2Adt + 2Jnr or 1Adt + 3Jnr) (Admits 4) $68.31

I have a season ticket, so I don't know what add-ons there are to the above. Prima facie I'd say the above are not outrageous. Also to be considered is the target audience and the costs of other entertainment. For example, an adult ticket to a show (take Fiddler on the Roof) will cost about $100 for a reasonable seat matinee performance, plus the add-ons for buying on-line.

One concession demographic that the A-League ignores is the non-pensioned senior (i.e. self-funded retirees). These are people with disposable income (the ones filling up European river cruises and other up-market travel) and have time on their hands.