Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

What time did you go to training rass? 

Was there about 11 mate and stayed for about 20 minutes. I don't mind popping my head in if I'm in the area. Do you go yourself?

It was pretty quiet on my side of the fence. The team looked well though.

Without going into it too much because it's the wrong thread but I find it amusing that people seem to think that novillo has been 'figured out.' 

don't think novillo's been "worked out" but I do think all he's opponents will be desperate to stop that right foot of his. 

Was there about 11 mate and stayed for about 20 minutes. I don't mind popping my head in if I'm in the area. Do you go yourself?

It was pretty quiet on my side of the fence. The team looked well though.

I haven't been in a long time but used to go every now and then during the previous season. 

This guy may not be a prolific scorer, but that doesn't mean he can't contribute to a winning team.

Of course a 20 goal a season guy would be great. However, it is easier to stop a great goalscorer than a great goalscoring team.

I much prefer if we have a team who can score from many different areas. That way if someone is marked out of the game, others can step forward.

Hopefully he score plenty of goals himself, but if the team wins nobody will care who is scoring.

Happy with the signing ... 2 year contract so he needs to be the right player.

I wonder how much Melbourne City paid Manchester City to perform the medical (FFP cost offsetting) ?

Nothing really... CFS (the CFG subdivision headed by Brian Marwood) that are contracted by Melbourne City handled it I´m sure, mind you.. transactions within CFG don´t count towards FFP rules, neither in a positive or negative way ;)

• Like 1

At the end of last season MV had scored 56 goals to MelbCity's 36 which was 9 goals behind WP who scored 45. Sydney score 52 and Adelaide 47. The top five strikers were Janko (Syd), Berisha (MV), Burns (WP), Keogh (PG) and Thomson (MV). AU were the only team not to have a top five scorer and yet finished third. So the correlation is that a club does need a good striker to be in contention for the top spot. So far I don't see that top striker at MC but as AU proved you don't need one to be top 4. Whatever the case I think that the club needs to aim for about 50 goals to be in the top 4 and 60 goals to take the title. I don't particularly care who scores as long as the team scores.

If our front 3 can score 25+ and Williams and Brown chip in with a few. Get a few from Midfield Mooy and Koren then this should be enough.  Lets not forget last season was a massive improvement from set peices. But it's not really how many you score its more the goal difference.  With our back 4 I can guarantee we will give less up at the back. So at the end of the season if we have 20+ goal difference we should be well placed for a strong finals campaign. 

I wonder how much Melbourne City paid Manchester City to perform the medical (FFP cost offsetting) ?

good observation but unless Melb City are paying Man City $30 million for a medical check up, I don't think it'll help their FFP causes considering how much they spend on transfers! 

Very little,  considering that Manchester City did not perform the medical. Medicals have to be performed by fully-trained doctors, not just sports science staff and physios, and basically no team on earth has the workload necessary to warrant hiring their own doctor. Manchester City pays a private hospital to conduct their medicals for them. 

Edited by Falastur

I guess we have to hope that his lack at goals at Bigger Clubs has been due to higher grade of competition...

The Berisha example always comes up when these types are signed but I think we can already be pretty safely assured that Tuna will not be reaching his level of goalscoring however there is also the example of Tadic who when arrived at Heart he had a similar formline goals wise at a higher level.

If Tuna can perform at a Tadic level with the quality of our current squad around him rather than the spuds Tadic largely had to deal with well it stands to reason that he will score a lot more in the A-League than he did elsewhere.

I guess its similar to conceding a talented well bred underperforming horse who has raced averagely and inconsistently on Saturdays in the City will be much more consistent and a better performer on Wednesdays at Sandown or on the Provincial Meets on a Sunday.

What I don't understand is, if I am right and this guy isn't an out and out goalscorer, why are people upset?

We had guys who would have no trouble scoring, Kennedy and Tadic come to mind, but they never got any service so it didn't work out. Even as shit as Misfurd was, it takes two players to cause an offside, and there was always someone retarded enough to constantly pass it to him in offside positions. Poor service has always been a far bigger problem if you ask me than having someone to finish off the moves.

This season in particular, look at who everyone thinks will  be our starting wingers, Novillo and Gameiro. When Novillo gets the ball, in his head all his teammates disappear and all he can see are the goals, while Gameiro being primarily a striker would also be pretty interested in scoring goals rather than creating them. Neither of these blokes are going to be putting in crosses or creating a great deal of chances.

What has always characterised our team? It has to be that we have a knack for 'dominating' a game, but not scoring the goals to match that dominance, and then the opposition goes and scores one and we lose/draw. Dominance without scoring goals is often symptomatic of not having a link between midfield and attack, having a bloke who could play as a false 9 seems more valuable to me than an out and out goalscorer.

Frankly, for the first time I can remember, there is some sense in who we are signing and what JVS is trying to do. It actually wouldn't surprise me if we went on a good run of 5-10 wins to start the season, before we are found out and JVS is too rigid to change things up and we barely scrape through to the finals.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and there is some serious 'JVS logic' going on here, and Bruno (at 5'10") is going to be played as a target man :up:

You make a good point... 

Perth Heart as a Ajax fan has written some good stuff on here/and spoken to me about how Ajax score their goals and it's not through largely supplying their Number Nine  so it does seem like you are on the money in saying that JVS has finally taken a "Horses for Courses" approach to recruiting a striker.

You make a good point... 

Perth Heart as a Ajax fan has written some good stuff on here/and spoken to me about how Ajax score their goals and it's not through largely supplying their Number Nine  so it does seem like you are on the money in saying that JVS has finally taken a "Horses for Courses" approach to recruiting a striker.

Another reason why this season JVS really will have no excuses. He is very lucky to get this many chances and to now really mould the team in his way with very few players left over that weren't signed under his watch. Most managers don't get this sort of chance.

• Like 2

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/exclusive---bruno-fornaroli-s-first-melbourne-city-fc-interview/1306988

"I believe that with the ideas of the coaching staff, who like a pressing style, I will do this to the best of my ability, but it is difficult when a striker isn't scoring, so my intention is to score goals".

I like this guy!

• Like 1

What I don't understand is, if I am right and this guy isn't an out and out goalscorer, why are people upset?

We had guys who would have no trouble scoring, Kennedy and Tadic come to mind, but they never got any service so it didn't work out. Even as shit as Misfurd was, it takes two players to cause an offside, and there was always someone retarded enough to constantly pass it to him in offside positions. Poor service has always been a far bigger problem if you ask me than having someone to finish off the moves.

This season in particular, look at who everyone thinks will  be our starting wingers, Novillo and Gameiro. When Novillo gets the ball, in his head all his teammates disappear and all he can see are the goals, while Gameiro being primarily a striker would also be pretty interested in scoring goals rather than creating them. Neither of these blokes are going to be putting in crosses or creating a great deal of chances.

What has always characterised our team? It has to be that we have a knack for 'dominating' a game, but not scoring the goals to match that dominance, and then the opposition goes and scores one and we lose/draw. Dominance without scoring goals is often symptomatic of not having a link between midfield and attack, having a bloke who could play as a false 9 seems more valuable to me than an out and out goalscorer.

Frankly, for the first time I can remember, there is some sense in who we are signing and what JVS is trying to do. It actually wouldn't surprise me if we went on a good run of 5-10 wins to start the season, before we are found out and JVS is too rigid to change things up and we barely scrape through to the finals.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and there is some serious 'JVS logic' going on here, and Bruno (at 5'10") is going to be played as a target man :up:

Both of their goal scoring records outside of Melbourne Heart/City are poor. Kennedy average of 3 goals a season in 10 years in Germany.

Both of their goal scoring records outside of Melbourne Heart/City are poor. Kennedy average of 3 goals a season in 10 years in Germany.

Let's not go into the Kennedy debate again. I'll say he scored loads in Japan, you'll say he played against midgets, etc.

As for Tadic, let's revisit that in a few months and see how he's going :up: 

• Like 1

Let's not go into the Kennedy debate again. I'll say he scored loads in Japan, you'll say he played against midgets, etc.

As for Tadic, let's revisit that in a few months and see how he's going :up: 

Not hard to score loads in Japan. A quick look at the last few seasons goals scoring charts shows a whole bunch of cunts who couldn't deliver in Europe. eg. Okubo, 59 goals in 3 seasons of J-League, Took him 5 years to get his fifth goal in Europe lol.

EDIT - In fact I challenge you to find me a handful of players in the last decade who have scored plenty in the J-League and carried that form into Europe.

Edited by MaliMate

Had a look at the stats for last season as the comments I made about Ajax were based on observations rather than stats. The stats back it up completely.

We were second top scorers in the league, however, our top scorer was milik (small forward) only 11 goals, 17th highest scoring player in the league. The other scorers were evenly spread with 9 El ghazi (winger) 8 schone (am/winger) 7 Sigthorssen (tall striker) 6 Klassen (am). 

So yeah pretty much sums it up. We don't need Fornaroli to score a bucketload. We're not set up to score our goals thru one striker. We need an even spread of goals between Mooy, Koren, Gameiro, Fornaroli and Novillo.

we need to play Koren as number 10 and Mooy alongside paartalu. Mooy has the work rate and speed to be effective at both ends. If our front three function in the way i think it will Koren will have a lot of space between the lines that if he picks his game up he should be able to exploit. Schone and Klaasen play off each other much the same way with Klaasen playing the Mooy role and Schone playing the 10.

Great summary Perthheart!

Not hard to score loads in Japan. A quick look at the last few seasons goals scoring charts shows a whole bunch of cunts who couldn't deliver in Europe. eg. Okubo, 59 goals in 3 seasons of J-League, Took him 5 years to get his fifth goal in Europe lol.

EDIT - In fact I challenge you to find me a handful of players in the last decade who have scored plenty in the J-League and carried that form into Europe.

As far as Melbourne City is concerned, I'd say it doesn't matter if the player can score in Europe or not. Berisha had a terrible strike record in Europe, but of course has lit up the A-League. Also Emile Heskey only scored 1 goal for Aston Villa over 18 starts in the 2011/12 EPL season, but then went on to score a solid 9 goals over 23 starts for the Newcastle Jets in the 2012/13 A-League season. So we don't need a player who can score in Europe, we just need a player who can score in the A-League.

Had a look at the stats for last season as the comments I made about Ajax were based on observations rather than stats. The stats back it up completely.

We were second top scorers in the league, however, our top scorer was milik (small forward) only 11 goals, 17th highest scoring player in the league. The other scorers were evenly spread with 9 El ghazi (winger) 8 schone (am/winger) 7 Sigthorssen (tall striker) 6 Klassen (am). 

So yeah pretty much sums it up. We don't need Fornaroli to score a bucketload. We're not set up to score our goals thru one striker. We need an even spread of goals between Mooy, Koren, Gameiro, Fornaroli and Novillo.

we need to play Koren as number 10 and Mooy alongside paartalu. Mooy has the work rate and speed to be effective at both ends. If our front three function in the way i think it will Koren will have a lot of space between the lines that if he picks his game up he should be able to exploit. Schone and Klaasen play off each other much the same way with Klaasen playing the Mooy role and Schone playing the 10.

Out of likes. Agree with every point.

• Like 1

Very little,  considering that Manchester City did not perform the medical. Medicals have to be performed by fully-trained doctors, not just sports science staff and physios, and basically no team on earth has the workload necessary to warrant hiring their own doctor. Manchester City pays a private hospital to conduct their medicals for them. 

We pay for now Falastur, until our new medical facilities are up and running at the CFA.

Then all medicals will be in house

• 2 weeks later...

Only saw the last 20 minutes of the game, how did he go?

Personally, I thought he was awesome as his work rate and willingness to pressure and harrass all night was really effective.

Played the full 90 minutes too and obviously bagged a penalty. Encouraging signs

• Like 4

Personally, I thought he was awesome as his work rate and willingness to pressure and harrass all night was really effective.
Played the full 90 minutes too and obviously bagged a penalty. Encouraging signs

Was good to see someone constantly hustle. People can point to his lean goalscoring record all they like, but berisha's wasn't great either before he came to the league. It's his hustle and determination to win the ball that enables him to score most his goals.

Just posting ITT to collect my green lines. I know it's early days but it looks like exactly what I said, he isn't going to score many but he is going to enable the other attackers to score.

First game he plays and we score 5 goals.

• Like 1

• jw1739 locked this topic