Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

Soooo maybe he'll turn out to be the Suarez of the A-League...let's hope he's not a biter though...

Would not be unhappy if he bites Berisha or Broxham, not a nibble but take a chunk of flesh ala Tyson v Hoylfield. This would please me, maybe not so much the FFA.

Would not be unhappy if he bites Berisha or Broxham, not a nibble but take a chunk of flesh ala Tyson v Hoylfield. This would please me, maybe not so much the FFA.

I wouldn't bite either, imagine the diseases you'd contract

• Like 1

Hate to interrupt the piscine meme but in Spanish the word for the fish called tuna is "atún". In Spanish "tuna" is prickly pear. So I suppose the statistic that we should be looking at will be fouls committed, yellow cards and red cards. Also whether he gets along well with his team mates, coaching staff and supporters.

So all those logos and chants referring to the aquatic delicacy will be lost on him until someone explains to him what it means; and then whether he actually likes to be compared to chicken of the sea.

• Like 1

Hate to interrupt the piscine meme but in Spanish the word for the fish called tuna is "atún". In Spanish "tuna" is prickly pear. So I suppose the statistic that we should be looking at will be fouls committed, yellow cards and red cards. Also whether he gets along well with his team mates, coaching staff and supporters.

So all those logos and chants referring to the aquatic delicacy will be lost on him until someone explains to him what it means; and then whether he actually likes to be compared to chicken of the sea.

Way to be a buzzkill. Jeez.

• Like 4

You know what's wrong, you using different markets (especially the regional CCM and Jets markets) as direct comparisons to our situation, laughable too to be honest. Especially given there's actually a team in our market to compare ourselves to already, the team with the highest average attendance in the league. And how many glitzy and glamorous marquees have our local rivals had during their existence? Not many, but do you know why people keep going to their games? Because they win.

Melbourne is the most diverse sporting market in the country, there is more scope for large crowds at an A-League game than there are for the likes of CCM, Jets and Brisbane (with Sydney being the only market that can come close in that regard).

Regardless, let's have a look at your theory regarding teams not pulling crowds during succesful periods:

Brisbane:

14/15: 11,660 6th
13/14: 18,056 1st (Champions)
12/13: 13,417 5th
11/12: 15,963 2nd (champions

CCM:
14/15: 7,585 8th
13/14: 9,374 3rd
12/13: 10,018 2nd (Champions)
11/12: 9,505 1st

Sydney:

14/15: 18,050 2nd
13/14: 18,682 5th (ADP)
12/13: 18,687 7th (ADP)
11/12: 11,861 5th

I think the above largely speaks for itself, those teams (with the exception of Sydney, who still pulled ADP sized crowds by, guess what, being a little bit good, they also have a rusted on fan base through previous success) pulled larger crowds when they played well. Brisbane's difference in crowd sizes from good to bad seasons is dramatic. CCM Are a regional team and will never pull large crowds but they get more through the door when they're good.

You're seriously under-selling the intelligence of your average football fan if you think they're going to spend their hard earned, game-in game-out, on a team that hasn't earnt their loyalties aside from trotting out a glitzy former star who's now at the end of the road.

1.  Victory as you say, are winners.  So if we become winners, what are we offering to the punters who want to see "winners" that Victory aren't?  NOTHING. I can go watch a winning A-League team in Melbourne already.

The BIGGEST cock up in the A-League was that TWO clubs were not in Melbourne from the start. That gifted them a city of 4 million plus to themselves.  They have a core rusted on group because there was no other alternative.   Winning titles mattered to grow their support, but after 10 years in a town of 4 million and champions for 30% of the league existence, they still don't fill a 30k stadium week in week out  They would say the don't NEED marquees. But thats small time thinking.

2.  I've already de-bunked the Brisbane attendances as they include one off Grand Finals of 50k plus that the club gets no financial benefit, and no new supporter interest for the next season.   A Championship season for them got an uplift of 11% through the door at each home game. Finals are irrelevant for clubs attendances.

Time for another fact.   In 2014/15 Brisbane highest attendance was 17k against............... Melbourne City.  The previous year the same fixture was their lowest attended at 10k.  A 70% increase in the hope that Brisbane fans *might* get to see Villa play (he didn't).  One game with a marquee > 4 games in a championship year.

2014/15 SFC V Melbourne City attendance 26k (Villa).  2013/14 SFC V Melb Heart attendance 16k. Uplift 60%.

That brings me to the second thing marquees bring that championships don't: marquees raise the bar for the WHOLE league. Who cares, you say?  Well bigger crowds, bigger media interest--> brings in sponsor, better TV deals-->$$$$--> Better players, more marquees.  Repeat.

3.  YOUR SFC 2014/15 average is BULLSHIT.  Their average was 15200, including 27k for the semi. In 2012/13 they got 18k average WITHOUT FINALS  They are STILL 2 seasons behind, not to mention the shirts sales and media interest.

4.  I'm not underselling anyone's intelligence. A-league Board members are.  Boards headed by D Pietro when Victory had Kewell. Boards headed by Scott Barlow who lets Crook coach ADP, moron like Scott Munn who..well you get the picture.

You don't bring world class players in to be coached by numpties and to play with rubbish team mates every week.  The team and the coach OF COURSE need to be competitive, but not necessarily champions. 

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
more stats.

Google Translate tells me that "El tuna" is "the tuna."

2767638386_d8efc6fb1f.jpg

I don't give two shits what you think.  The facts speak for themselves

Quality marquees make all the difference.  No name plonkers like this guy are waste of time, money and effort, and drag the entire league down-even SBS would rather show something else than A-League.

Enjoy reading your fish posts.

Back on topic

It seems that Bruno Fornaroli was the captain at the Uruguayan club he's coming from:

Fornaroli-Bruno.jpg

Also he was apart of Danubio when they won the Uruguayan Primera Division (Uruguay's top competition) in 2013-14 (joined half-way through the season):

30dkl5v.jpg

Add those points alongside his good age (only mid-20s) and the quality clubs he's played for, and he looks like he could be a real handy signing. And who's to say he can't be one of the A-League's very best strikers next season

• Like 2

This will be a good test of the scouting ability of CFG. For me so far they are at ~66%.

Koren - fail

Duff - pass
Novillo - big pass

I think it's worth noting that by-and-large the 'glue' guys that we recruited last year were good pick-ups. It was just the marquees that were letdowns, really.

Give our new signing the opportunity to play some games before you judge him. If he scores 6 goals in his first 4 A-League matches then I'm sure people's tuna 👀 will change. If he scores 4 goals for the season then send him to the Wanderers.  

Edited by charlibub

So from Wiki this guy's career looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Fornaroli

Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2008Nacional12(10)
2008–2012Sampdoria17(0)
2009→ San Lorenzo (loan)12(2)
2009–2010→ Recreativo Huelva (loan)17(2)
2011→ Nacional (loan)9(4)
2012–2013Panathinaikos17(0)
2014–2015Danubio15(2)
2014→ Figueirense (loan)0(0)

99 games for 20 goals = 0.2 goals per game. Now he'll either live up to that stat and deliver us just over 5 goals in our coming season or do a Berisha and cream it ?

Interestingly, Berisha's senior career stats before he joined the Tards reads:

Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2003–2004Tennis Borussia Berlin4(1)
2004–2007Hamburger SV12(1)
2005→ Aalborg (loan)2(0)
2005–2006→ Horsens (loan)32(11)
2007–2009Burnley0(0)
2008→ Rosenborg (loan)8(3)
2009→ Horsens (loan)13(4)
2010–2011Arminia Bielefeld28(2

99 games for 22 goals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Besart_Berisha

So from Wiki this guy's career looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Fornaroli

Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2008Nacional12(10)
2008–2012Sampdoria17(0)
2009→ San Lorenzo (loan)12(2)
2009–2010→ Recreativo Huelva (loan)17(2)
2011→ Nacional (loan)9(4)
2012–2013Panathinaikos17(0)
2014–2015Danubio15(2)
2014→ Figueirense (loan)0(0)

99 games for 20 goals = 0.2 goals per game. Now he'll either live up to that stat and deliver us just over 5 goals in our coming season or do a Berisha and cream it ?

Interestingly, Berisha's senior career stats before he joined the Tards reads:

Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2003–2004Tennis Borussia Berlin4(1)
2004–2007Hamburger SV12(1)
2005→ Aalborg (loan)2(0)
2005–2006→ Horsens (loan)32(11)
2007–2009Burnley0(0)
2008→ Rosenborg (loan)8(3)
2009→ Horsens (loan)13(4)
2010–2011Arminia Bielefeld28(2

99 games for 22 goals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Besart_Berisha

So one goal in every five matches. So if the Uruguayan league is ranked 32th and the A-League is around 64th then hopefully he'll score goals twice as fast!?!?

• Like 2

but where did he get the nickname?

not giving up on on our Port Lincoln lad quite so quickly.

but where did he get the nickname?

not giving up on on our Port Lincoln lad quite so quickly.

According to the Uruguayan newspaper "Las Ultimas Noticias" he got the nickname as a child due to his haircut that made him look at lot like a prickly pear. Apparently when he was first going to Italy, italian fans also got confused for the same reason. So there may not be a need to explain things to him although the article does not inform as to whether he likes to being compared to a fish.

• Like 1

So i tried googling "what is his nickname" in Spanish and found a website calling him "Tuna Bruni" which if you then type into google is an 8mm pistol. Maybe they are calling him a little gun?

Edited by R410

So is this bloke still going to sign with us? Or just another mayo rumour?

According to El Tuna himself he has been to Manchester for the medical and will be playing for us next season. IMO all we're waiting for in official confirmation from City. Just judging by the past two announcements (Hughes and Zullo) the announcement won't be made until he actually arrives at CFA Melbourne.

• Like 2

According to El Tuna himself he has been to Manchester for the medical and will be playing for us next season. IMO all we're waiting for in official confirmation from City. Just judging by the past two announcements (Hughes and Zullo) the announcement won't be made until he actually arrives at CFA Melbourne.

probably to sign the actual contract I guess

• 4 weeks later...
  • jw1739 locked this topic