Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

20 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

My old house mate used to know him reasonable well, can confirm. Athletic ability saved our friend Archie

Seems to apply to many sports people.

The evidence keeps mounting for my theory that, in general, there is a strong inverse correlation between intelligence and sporting prowess.

2 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The evidence keeps mounting for my theory that, in general, there is a strong inverse correlation between intelligence and sporting prowess.

As much as I enjoy watching it, I dont think you cant be very intelligent if you devote your entire life to being the best at kicking a ball. 

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Beattie Goad shows that there doesn't have to be an inverse relationship - off to an Ivy League university 

Of course there are outliers but I'm pretty confident that there is a correlation. 

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Of course there are outliers but I'm pretty confident that there is a correlation. 

I wonder if there's a selection bias, apart from Tony Abbott's cabinet we don't get to see too many people with an IQ of 100 in public life, when they appear they look exceptionally stupid.

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

While I somewhat agree with you I would take a guess and say that less intelligent people are more likely to pursue a career in sports, skewing the perception.

52 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Funny story i stopped to fill up my car on ring road a while ago and there was one Archie Thompson in his Audi TT. 

He walked upto me and said any idea on what fuel i put in my car and i gave him a giggle and said lucky you can score and said it should be on your fuel cap and the goat gave me a sheepish look a walked away. After paying i walked out and he was still standing there looking really confusious so i gave the poor knob a hand haha

You should have directed him to the diesel pump and told him that diesel gives better fuel economy

10 minutes ago, malloy said:

While I somewhat agree with you I would take a guess and say that less intelligent people are more likely to pursue a career in sports, skewing the perception.

Perhaps its more that it isn't often a prerequisite for elite performance so you are as likely to rise to the top as a sportsperson as you would as a politician

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I suppose that is true for those sports people who are never going to make it big and just earn enough to live off, some will not pursue a sporting career and go for a different career.

But still I think most would give it a go even if they are smart, not much reason not to, as long as they dont wait to like 30 to give it up and pursue something else it won't be a huge set back. Pretty good thing to have on the CV, especially if it was a team sport.

So overall I dont think it would make to much difference to my theory.

Edited by Tesla

16 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I suppose that is true for those sports people who are never going to make it big and just earn enough to live off, some will not pursue a sporting career and go for a different career.

But still I think most would give it a go even if they are smart, not much reason not to, as long as they dont wait to like 30 to give it up and pursue something else it won't be a huge set back. Pretty good thing to have on the CV, especially if it was a team sport.

So overall I dont think it would make to much difference to my theory.

But don't quite a number of professional sportsmen complete degrees etc. 

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

I'd say that it's pretty hard to prove one way or another. You need to be quite clear what the measure is - is it raw IQ or something else? Because people often confuse intelligence with achievement. Then you have to take account of the various selection biases that occur because of socio-economics.

20 hours ago, AntiScum said:

Funny story i stopped to fill up my car on ring road a while ago and there was one Archie Thompson in his Audi TT. 

He walked upto me and said any idea on what fuel i put in my car and i gave him a giggle and said lucky you can score and said it should be on your fuel cap and the goat gave me a sheepish look a walked away. After paying i walked out and he was still standing there looking really confusious so i gave the poor knob a hand haha

handjob?

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Great to see us bag such a wonderful win, especially as the great man had a howler tonight by the standards he's set this season.

Two blunders in the second half were very unlike him. Can see him turning it on again next week.

Was one were he should have shot with his left but opted to go back onto his right but was then closed down.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Was one were he should have shot with his left but opted to go back onto his right but was then closed down.

Yup, I've commented (and been shot down) before about his left boot... would have at least another 5 goals this season.... anyway.....

That and what Niko said about the missed pass to Harry. He's a pro though and I bet he's the first to admit that was no good.

In the end, we got the win and that's what matters most.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rass said:

Yup, I've commented (and been shot down) before about his left boot... would have at least another 5 goals this season.... anyway.....

That and what Niko said about the missed pass to Harry. He's a pro though and I bet he's the first to admit that was no good.

In the end, we got the win and that's what matters most.

Your problem was 5 minutes after your post he scored a cracker on his left!  I'm surprised he didn't just back himself this time, better to shoot and maybe score than not shoot at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

He had a few opportunities to score but his biggest mistake was not giving Harry the ball when he was on his own the box. Harry would have scored from that position without any doubt. Work rate was great as usual though. 

We need to be careful that we don't expect too much from him every match. Although he says it isn't, the media talk of him becoming a marquee player is probably preying on his mind a bit.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

We need to be careful that we don't expect too much from him every match. Although he says it isn't, the media talk of him becoming a marquee player is probably preying on his mind a bit.

I wasn't really fussed that he didn't score. He's incredible regardless of his performance last night. I only point out one moment where a player of his stature should have done better every day of the week. 

• Like 1

I agree, if he was the type of player who could score routinely in every match and convert every chance then he would be playing alongside Cavani or Suarez. Even if he doesn't convert every chance he drags defenders and creates space for other players. The fact that we are disappointed when he doesn't score rather than just resigned tells us we've got something special.

• Like 6

On 10 March 2016 at 9:26 PM, Luke said:

But don't quite a number of professional sportsmen complete degrees etc. 

A lot of union players tend to have degrees because the good ones often play for university teams before going to super rugby. Or at least it used to be.

david pocock being the obvious example of switched on athlete

Steve Horvat is correct of course but the FFA is so Sydney-centric that its hard to develop a League-wide strategy around marquees. I', sure that Fornaroli only appeared on FFA's radar after scoring a hat trick against Sydney FC. Would you trust FFA to handle the marketing of marquee players when they seem to market the League so poorly and all their decisions are so Sydney-centric?

I don't always agree with Andy Harper, but to be fair to him he first made the comments about the need to promote the likes of Fornaroli as a football star in Australia: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/the-marquee-debate!507414/

Pretty much spot on the money IMO. And not only the FFA, but IMO Melbourne City too could do a little more promoting the 2 best players in the comp. Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli to the wider public.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I don't always agree with Andy Harper, but to be fair to him he first made the comments about the need to promote the likes of Fornaroli as a football star in Australia: http://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/the-marquee-debate!507414/

Pretty much spot on the money IMO. And not only the FFA, but IMO Melbourne City too could do a little more promoting the 2 best players in the comp. Aaron Mooy and Bruno Fornaroli to the wider public.

I agree Murf, but as always in these discussions we seem to have the spectre of the salary cap restrictions hanging over us. Tuna is already being labelled the best foreign player ever to play in the A-League, but he's not a marquee, and however nice a bloke he is (and he comes across as just that) it's human nature that the new label will influence his thinking. We'd all be the same. If we're going to promote the hell out of the A-League using players like Bruno then IMO salary cap restrictions have to be relaxed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Steve Horvat is correct of course but the FFA is so Sydney-centric that its hard to develop a League-wide strategy around marquees. I', sure that Fornaroli only appeared on FFA's radar after scoring a hat trick against Sydney FC. Would you trust FFA to handle the marketing of marquee players when they seem to market the League so poorly and all their decisions are so Sydney-centric?

Bugger FFA - what about MCFC just go ahead and market themselves

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

But surely each club can promote their games etc. within their capture area?

Just as a matter of interest - what forms of "promotion" of matches do we have now? I have the fixture card from the start of the season, and all the home matches are on the kitchen calendar, and of course I access this site and the club website on a daily basis. But with the two big top four matches taking place this weekend, what other forms of "promotion" of these games are being used? Anything special? Just as an example, I've never seen anything about Heart or City advertised in our local (free) community newspaper.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

OK. But what is the audience of SEN? Numbers? Isn't it preaching to the converted?

It's either preaching to the converted or the sworn atheists on there I reckon. In my case I just switch off and concentrate on dogging cyclists (whilst day dreaming that I happen to be "unlucky" at missing them)

• Like 3

The avenues for advertising is endless surely. Viktree had ads on trains a few years ago. There are large video screens in the Melbourne City Loop showing ads with thousands of people glued at peak hour because there's not much else when you're waiting for a train. A few short City video ads promoting some of our bigger games like tomorrow's and featuring the best of our goals by Bruno, Harry, Aaron would be awesome. I'd probably miss a few trains so I could stand and watch the ads and applaud. Can't our friggin' City brainstrust  come up with anything innovative that doesn't just preach to the converted. We have the most exciting goal scoring machine in the HAL and yet very little widespread public exposure.

This morning on ABC Melbourne radio Kelly Underwood rattled off that there wasn't much sport happening in Melbourne this weekend except for the Formula 1. Not a mention of maybe the biggest HAL game this round at AAMI between two of the top sides  :droy:

• Like 2

• jw1739 locked this topic