Melbourne Football

Elimination Final! Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne City @ Sunday May 3rd, 5pm AEST

Nate

Great performance but for me the stand out was that they played as a team. Everyone contributing, defending and keeping their composure. Credit to the coaching staff and that includes JVS in that they nullified the attacking threat of WP and dominated the mid-field. First half was dull but I will live with it because it gave us the second half.

• Like 1

Positives:

We won!

We played as a team, compact and with determination.

First half we were impotent up front and defended too deeply but didn't panic for once.

We won the game in midfield.

We played the ball to Kennedy's strengths.

Kisnorbo was defensively great tonight

JVS got his tactics right and played (or didn't play) his weak subs bench well.

Negatives:

Give away too many fouls

Impotent first half with poor decision making in the front third

The risk is that this was our final although we should get up for a derby final. Some concerns about the game going to extra time. Next week will be a tougher game.

Great performance but for me the stand out was that they played as a team. Everyone contributing, defending and keeping their composure. Credit to the coaching staff and that includes JVS in that they nullified the attacking threat of WP and dominated the mid-field. First half was dull but I will live with it because it gave us the second half.Spot on.

Spot on (though i thought out first half was good and set up the victory) .

After the game Durante was mumbling about "missed chances" but truly we were the better side and deserved the win.

All our players contributed, but 2 stood out for mine, the obvious brothers - Mooy & Kisnorbo.

I would take Paartalu off as he is on a booking and we don't want a player sent off!!

You are such a knob!

You constantly criticise Paartalu and want him benched now you are worried about him getting a card.

Paartalu's contribution is to make others look good including Mooy who when he played that same position for WSW was no where as effective as he is playing in his current position.

I criticise him when he plays badly like I do with anyone else. 

He has had one good half in the last 3 months.

I won't come down to your level either with the insulting comments!!

Edited by silva10

I would take Paartalu off as he is on a booking and we don't want a player sent off!!

You are such a knob!

You constantly criticise Paartalu and want him benched now you are worried about him getting a card.

Paartalu's contribution is to make others look good including Mooy who when he played that same position for WSW was no where as effective as he is playing in his current position.

He has one good half in the last 3 months.

Silva you're way too harsh on Paartalu, the thought of dropping him for Mauk is ridiculous. Hes so important for our structure, hes a rock in front of the back four and he deserves a lot of the credit for all them clean sheets we had in the second half of the season. He's also a good aerial threat and sets up play from the back. He's not the quickest or the most agile but has a DM he makes up for it with his height and strength.

Ffs Kennedy is going to win us the title.

All you silly cunts that have given him shit have no clue about football.

But you giving Novillo shit is fine yeah? I'd like to say his goal was luck but I suppose those things happen when you have an all out attacking mentality like Novillo does.

Still did fuck all the rest of the game while the commentators were falling over him just because he is flashy.

And the assist?

You are such a knob!

Silva you're way too harsh on Paartalu, the thought of dropping him for Mauk is ridiculous. Hes so important for our structure, hes a rock in front of the back four and he deserves a lot of the credit for all them clean sheets we had in the second half of the season. He's also a good aerial threat and sets up play from the back. He's not the quickest or the most agile but has a DM he makes up for it with his height and strength.

Well we all have our opinions on players, so will leave it at that!

I have gave him credit for tonight, like I do with all players who perform well.

You are such a knob!

Children.. Paartalu has been awful shade of shit in his role as DM.  IMO he is why two AM's in the this team has not been possible.  He is simply too immobile and too slow.  

We stopped conceding b/c Kisnorno and Jaliens and Chapman and Clisby and Germano getting their shit together

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 2

Good win. Ugly, but sometimes they have to be. My only criticism would be that too often players are holding on to the ball just that fraction too long instead of making the pass, and as a result are being closed down.

For later on this year...I think I'm right in saying that because we have made the A-League semi-finals we have an easier draw in the 2015 FFA Cup Round of 32, in that we will play a non-A-League club?

For once JVS got his structure right and played to the players' strengths.

The one thing that frustrated the hell out of me though was the number of times that we panicked in the backs and just booted the ball back up field only to have to defend another wave of attacks. There were so many times all we needed to do was put a foot on the ball and look up and wait for a vacant man. Similarly Velaphi tends to boot the ball up field and lose the ball when rolling out the ball to a defender would have guaranteed possession.

In the cool light of day, just watch a replay and see how many times we do it.

We won't be able to do it against MV and get away with it.

• Like 1

We've even made the French football press. Practice your schoolboy French...

Melbourne City FC, en demi-finale !

Ce soir, heure locale, ou ce matin pour nous, le dernier duel éliminatoire pour l’accession en demi-finales se jouait au Westpac Stadium là-bas en Nouvelle-Zélande. Duel d’ex-dernier, Wellington et Melbourne City (ancien Heart) étaient 9 ème et 10 ème durant la saison 2013/2014, cette année ils sont tous deux au premier tour des play-offs. Une confrontation sans favoris flagrant, les deux derniers matchs s’étaient soldés par deux 0-0, mais la ferveur des play-offs est complètement différente de celle du championnat de saison régulière.

HN.jpg

Crédit photo : The Sydney Morning Herald

Dans une composition type avec le français Harry Novillo placé côté gauche et Josh Kennedy en pointe, Melbourne City se plaçait avec le 11, seul changement une défense centrale Chapman/Kisnorbo. De leur côté, Wellington voyait le retour de Lia et Riera.

Trois minutes et un premier coup-franc pour Wellington, à se rappeler celui de Goodwin contre Adélaïde, à son opposé, puisque celui-ci n’a pas transformé. Puis un match fermé. Quinze minutes assez fermées même si Harry Novillo envoyait la première frappe pour les Citizens.
Suite à ce premier quart d’heure, les deux équipes ont cessé de s’observer pour enclencher la seconde. D’une part Wellington Phoenix a subit beaucoup de faute (6 en 20 minutes) et a obtenu la première vraie occasion du match grâce à Michael McGlinchey sur coup-franc en trouvant la barre transversale de Tando Velpahi. De cette barre, Wellington s’est éteint à cause d’une défense de Melbourne City compacte, concentrée et un duo Chapman/Kisnorbo des grands soirs. Sans oublier les ailiers Retre/Germano pour bloquer les principaux centres des jaunes et noirs.
Au point de vue offensif, Melbourne City a été animé par Josh Kennedy, le meneur de jeu des Socceroos, Aaron Mooy ainsi que le français Harry Novillo. Une frappe de Novillo à la 36ème minute, bien captée par Glen Moss. C’est tout pour les 45 premières minutes.

1844.jpg

Crédit photo : The Guardian

La seconde période a pris le même chemin que sa petite sœur, quelques frappes, des arrêts, mais pas de réelles frayeurs pour faire pâlir ou lever le Westpac Stadium. Cependant, à la 57ème minute, par deux fois l’australien Josh Kennedy obtenu 2 réelles occasions : trop court sur son premier coup de pied devant Moss et une tête trop croisée sur un centre d’Harry Novillo. Malgré ça, sur un centre de Jonatan Germano, Harry Novillo trouva Aaron Mooy en retrait, se dernier frappe et comme un renard, Josh Kennedy dévie suffisamment le cuir pour inscrire le premier but de Melbourne City. Avantagé, la défense de City restait basse, pouvant voir et contenir toutes les contre-attaques de Wellington qui les obligeaient à jouer sur les individualités des attaquants comme la sortie de McGlinchey pour Krishna, beaucoup plus apte à perforer les défenses adverses. Un jeu se neutralisant donc au milieu, les ‘Nix et les Citizens ne se créèrent plus de réelles occasions jusqu’au doublé de Melbourne City. Sur une contre-attaque éclaire menée par Aaron Mooy, Harry Novillo, Kennedy et Germano pour un 4 vs 4 parfait : Décalage, passe en profondeur, centre pour un Novillo seul au second poteau, frappe et but ! But chanceux, Moss voit le cuir taper dans son dos et prendre le chemin des filets après que le ballon ait cogné son montant. 2 à 0, Wellington est obligé de tout donné à 17 minutes du terme. De ce retard, Ernie Merrick fut obligé de faire entrer de la fraîcheur offensive : Cunningham et Rodriguez pour la sortie Fenton et Lia, un double changement peu efficace. Les ‘Nix ont pris une leçon de réalisme et voit leur parcours 2014/2015 se stopper.

Une défaite qui sonne l’apogée d’une excellente saison des néo-zélandais et un ‘Melbourne Derby’ en préparation pour les demi-finales vendredi prochain. Wellington Phoenix peut sortir la tête haute, sûrement des regrets pour ce match, mais une saison de haut vol, jusqu’à prendre la tête du championnat. Un travail d’Ernie Merrick qui a payé au fil des saisons et un exercice 2015/2016 déjà en préparation pour nos néo-zélandais. Melbourne City est à la hauteur des objectifs posés par le club en début d’année avec le projet du City Football Group pour en faire une leader national.

You are such a knob!

Children.. Paartalu has been awful shade of shit in his role as DM. IMO he is why two AM's in the this team has not been possible. He is simply too immobile and too slow.

We stopped conceding b/c Kisnorno and Jaliens and Chapman and Clisby and Germano getting their shit together IMHO Paartalu suffers from being a product of the success of Roar dominance.

As a DM, Paartalu always played with (to use a gridiron position) a running back As a second DM at the Roar. Think of Murdocca's best quality, something more perfected in Matty McKay.

There was also Mitch Nichols in front (which when you truly when you think about it is similar to Mooy)

Paartalu did well because the Roar was more defensively minded in its midfield core with Paartalu at its core (3 players overall who could do a job; one to be the defensive link, one to do ground work from a defensive perspective and an attacking mid who can tackle / help from deeper position)

We haven't done that season. Either Paartalu has had two centre mids ahead of him in a midfield 3 or has been supplemented with another DM not like what was offered at Roar / the team wasn't structured like Roar.

Personally, I thought Melling should have been the one to own the singular DM role since Melling's better at it but then Paartalu has had the success so ....

In any case Paartalu hasn't been that bad just misunderstood as a DM

Edited by mattyh001

Good win. Ugly, but sometimes they have to be. My only criticism would be that too often players are holding on to the ball just that fraction too long instead of making the pass, and as a result are being closed down.

For later on this year...I think I'm right in saying that because we have made the A-League semi-finals we have an easier draw in the 2015 FFA Cup Round of 32, in that we will play a non-A-League club?

We may even be treated to less shit Sunday 5pm games and even not have kick0off time scheduled for the start of the Grand Prix

You are such a knob!

Children.. Paartalu has been awful shade of shit in his role as DM. IMO he is why two AM's in the this team has not been possible. He is simply too immobile and too slow.

We stopped conceding b/c Kisnorno and Jaliens and Chapman and Clisby and Germano getting their shit togetherIMHO Paartalu suffers from being a product of the success of Roar dominance.

As a DM, Paartalu always played with (to use a gridiron position) a running back As a second DM at the Roar. Think of Murdocca's best quality, something more perfected in Matty McKay.

There was also Mitch Nichols in front (which when you truly when you think about it is similar to Mooy)

Paartalu did well because the Roar was more defensively minded in its midfield core with Paartalu at its core (3 players overall who could do a job; one to be the defensive link, one to do ground work from a defensive perspective and an attacking mid who can tackle / help from deeper position)

We haven't done that season. Either Paartalu has had two centre mids ahead of him in a midfield 3 or has been supplemented with another DM not like what was offered at Roar / the team wasn't structured like Roar.

Personally, I thought Melling should have been the one to own the singular DM role since Melling's better at it but then Paartalu has had the success so ....

In any case Paartalu hasn't been that bad just misunderstood as a DM

Well explained Matty.

Wellington v Melbourne City finals: City set up Victory semi-final after beating Wellington 2-0

MATT WINDLEY

MAY 03, 2015

MELBOURNE City has set up a blockbuster semi-final against crosstown rival Melbourne Victory on Friday night with a gutsy 2-0 elimination final win in Wellington.

After consecutive hidings on the road leading in to the club’s second-ever finals campaign, City rolled its sleeves up at Westpac Stadium last night to book a derby showdown on the back of a 61st minute opener by Australian marquee Josh Kennedy and a second from Harry Novillo 11 minutes later.

City was in equal parts patient, dogged and resolute, qualities rarely associated with the team previously.

The visitors refused to be broken down in the first half and dominated both possession and territory.

From there it grew in confidence against a local side that was clearly starting to doubt itself on the back of a poor run of form of its own.

Set up in both the 58th and 59th minutes by exquisite Jonatan Germano crosses from the left, Kennedy missed the far post by centimetres - first with his outstretched boot and then his head.

But it was third time lucky barely two minutes later for the man once nicknamed “Jesus”.

After a Nathan Burns shot down the other end of the field was blocked, City broke quickly on the counter, with international marquee Robert Koren on the ball.

The Slovenian had options left and right, but sized the situation up perfectly, opting to play Novillo in on the left.

He held the ball up close to the byline, laid back to Aaron Mooy, who’s first time shot was then deflected in by Kennedy.

The Phoenix lifted in intensity, but things only got better for City a short time later as again Koren and Mooy got involved.

It was Mooy’s ball from midfield that played Koren in to space on the right, but rather than shoot wildly, he played a looping ball over the top of the penalty box to a free Novillo.

The Martinique international stopped and propped back on to his right foot, before shooting.

His vicious shot cannoned off the base of the post and in to the back of the head of diving Phoenix keeper Glen Moss before flying in to the net.

Moss was unlucky, but in truth it was no less than City deserved.

Sure it was a dour, ugly affair in the first half, but City executed perfectly.

Far from smash and grab, John van’t Schip’s team played as if it were the hosts.

There were heroes aplenty.

The game was arguably Kennedy’s finest in the A-League, as he provided a dominant and dependable target at the front of the line.

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo was inspirational at the back, blocking at least four goalbound shots, while the ever-adaptable Germano was a warrior in the unfamiliar position of left back.

Koren too, while far from the team’s best player, had his fingerprints all over the goals, while Mooy allowed City to dictate the tempo, particularly in the first 45 minutes.

Gone was the midfield diamond tried without success in recent weeks and back was a more familiar 4-3-3 set-up, although a defensive variation of the type considering Mooy had dropped back to play as a holder alongside Erik Paartalu.

Just days after he said he was a midfielder and had been played out of position for much of the season, Koren started as the No.10.

It is a blueprint that will surely be used at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/wellington-v-melbourne-city-finals-city-set-up-victory-semi-final-after-beating-wellington-2-0/story-fnk6pqhd-1227333208911

Tellingly, even Merrick is pretty complimentary of City's performance:

Merrick: Phoenix's wings clipped by City

Sunday, 3 May 2015

John Greco

Wellington boss Ernie Merrick says his side’s inability to deal with Melbourne City’s suffocating style was the reason behind their premature exit from the Hyundai A-League Finals Series.

Phoenix were dumped out 2-0 by City on Sunday as Josh Kennedy and an own goal from ‘keeper Glen Moss in the second half settled a tight Elimination Final at Westpac Stadium.

“I felt it was a very difficult game to go out in. I don’t think we showed what we can do at all,” a disappointed Merrick said.

“To Melbourne City’s credit they put us under a lot of pressure and they closed down our midfield.

“In the second half I thought as long as its 1-0 down we’re in with a chance but nothing seemed to be going for us, our chances on goals were pretty well blocked.

“Melbourne City came here with the right attitude, they competed all over the park, they pressed us and stopped our midfield.

“Nathan Burns really is our most experienced striker and they had two men on him and he never got his shots on target.”

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/merrick-phoenixs-wings-clipped-by-city/1e4blwynr0lz51slmw66veczk9

Van’t Schip Reveals How Training Shift Helped City to Victory

3 MAY 2015

Melbourne City booked a place in the A-League semi-final against arch rival Melbourne Victory by defeating Wellington Phoenix 2-0 in the elimination final and coach John van 't Schip said the key was in his team's change in preparation.

Van `t Schip revealed that a shift in training focus had proven pivotal, particularly after last week's 4-1 loss to Adelaide United.

"We trained very precise and secure towards this game - we changed the formation a bit because looking at our last games, some parts were good but we also looked a little bit vulnerable," he said.

"We tried to change a few things, and that paid off with the result today."

Van `t Schip said getting marquee man Robert Koren into position with Erik Paartalu and Aaron Mooy behind him had been key.

"We've played like that before, so it's not something new.

"And players are now in better physical condition, compared to a few weeks or months ago."

Players like David Williams, Harry Novillo and Josh Kennedy were finding the sort of form which could threaten against Victory on Friday.

Van `t Schip said his players would need to lift again, but he was confident they could.

"There's still a lot of things we can improve, but I think we looked solid. We were dangerous going forward and very hard to beat defensively."

After a scoreless first half, Wellington started the second spell brightly but City gradually worked its way back into the game.

Goalscorer Kennedy was low-key about his effort afterwards, saying it was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

"I had a few good chances before, especially with that header, so it was probably sort of building," he said.

"I felt it was getting closer and closer, those two crosses from Jonny were brilliant.

"After we got that 1-0 I thought we did well and then we got the second, and the game changed.

"We probably got ourselves in a bit more trouble than we should have sitting back too deep but the boys at the back did extremely well."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/05/03/van-t-schip-reveals-how-training-shift-helped-city-victory

But you giving Novillo shit is fine yeah? I'd like to say his goal was luck but I suppose those things happen when you have an all out attacking mentality like Novillo does.

Still did fuck all the rest of the game while the commentators were falling over him just because he is flashy.

And the assist? Not trying to get involved on either side, but Mooy assisted Kennedy's goal not Novillo

But you giving Novillo shit is fine yeah?

I'd like to say his goal was luck but I suppose those things happen when you have an all out attacking mentality like Novillo does.

And the assist?

What assist? Mooy assisted, and Novillo did not pass the ball to Mooy, he lost control of the ball and it trickled to Mooy.

His goal was also luck.

Again, I'll concede that when you're always attacking like Novillo, eventually the luck will be in your favour. But how many attacking opportunities did he waste?

Look, he is useful for us right now because we wouldn't do anything with all the attacks he wastes anyway, they'd just be wasted by someone else, and at least at some point it comes off for Novillo. But if we have a competent manager next season, Novillo is of no use.

The key to winning football matches is attacking efficiency, rather than doing the most attacking or creating the most chances. Something people in this country don't understand, probably due to watching too much EPL. But how does that all out attacking EPL style work out in Europe against teams that attack efficiently? Not very well judging by this season's results.

Novillo is a fuking gun has changed our dynamic up front, runs at defenders, shoots from distance with power (not since Sibon have we had someone like him) and scores goals....what the fuk have you been watching?

What the fuck have you been watching? What is the end product of all the things he does? Most the time it's nothing. Again, useful for us now given that we'd waste all those attacks anyway under JVS, and at least it comes off for Novillo sometimes, unlike Williams and Ramsey, but in the future I'd hope we can attack more efficiently, and Novillo is not the player for that

Edited by Tesla

But you giving Novillo shit is fine yeah?

I'd like to say his goal was luck but I suppose those things happen when you have an all out attacking mentality like Novillo does.

And the assist?

What assist? Mooy assisted, and Novillo did not pass the ball to Mooy, he lost control of the ball and it trickled to Mooy.

His goal was also luck.

Again, I'll concede that when you're always attacking like Novillo, eventually the luck will be in your favour. But how many attacking opportunities did he waste?

Look, he is useful for us right now because we wouldn't do anything with all the attacks he wastes anyway, they'd just be wasted by someone else, and at least at some point it comes off for Novillo. But if we have a competent manager next season, Novillo is of no use.

The key to winning football matches is attacking efficiency, rather than doing the most attacking or creating the most chances. Something people in this country don't understand, probably due to watching too much EPL. But how does that all out attacking EPL style work out in Europe against teams that attack efficiently? Not very well judging by this season's results.

Novillo is a fuking gun has changed our dynamic up front, runs at defenders, shoots from distance with power (not since Sibon have we had someone like him) and scores goals....what the fuk have you been watching?

What the fuck have you been watching? What is the end product of all the things he does? Most the time it's nothing. Again, useful for us now given that we'd waste all those attacks anyway under JVS, and at least it comes off for Novillo sometimes, unlike Williams and Ramsey, but in the future I'd hope we can attack more efficiently, and Novillo is not the player for that

Tesla I agree with you in the fact Novillo wastes opportunities to play other people in. However, I think with the right management he can improve in this area.

If he doesn't ask for too much money, I would sign him for next season. The same with Safuwan, but he would be as a central defender, unless we had too many injuries in the full back positions.

But you giving Novillo shit is fine yeah?I'd like to say his goal was luck but I suppose those things happen when you have an all out attacking mentality like Novillo does.

Still did fuck all the rest of the game while the commentators were falling over him just because he is flashy. And the assist?Not trying to get involved on either side, but Mooy assisted Kennedy's goal not Novillo

My bad