Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

Straight after he got suspended I thought enough was enough, it's time to get him out of the club but with all the links and rumours of players going (Wilko already gone) I don't want us to have to replace half of our squad, especially our top players. Wouldn't be overly happy to see him go anymore. 

1 minute ago, Jozzy said:

Straight after he got suspended I thought enough was enough, it's time to get him out of the club but with all the links and rumours of players going (Wilko already gone) I don't want us to have to replace half of our squad, especially our top players. Wouldn't be overly happy to see him go anymore. 

He was here last season as an injury replacement, so he and his agent had sufficient time to find out about salary cap, marquees etc. Some of these guys need to get real - sign a two-year contract, put in a passable performance and then expect to be a marquee?
Loved the guy when he first came, but it's time for him to go if he really doesn't want to be here.

He's just playing the game. 2 Marquee spots available  (that is if Mooy goes). Why wouldn't he put it out there. 

I'm more confident now that he wants to stay and that it's up the club and not the other way round.

Not bad action for a Thursday.  (Even though it wasn't exactly 10am).☺

The club/CFG has to shoulder some of the blame for this situation. When the club signs such poor value marquees, such as Robert Koren and Joshua Kennedy, then every other capable player can understandably wonder why a player like Robert Koren (who made $1 million dollars a year) is making more than five times more money then them--Fornaroli even only makes $180,000 a year.

I said it a while back, but if the club just signed a quality marquee in the first place (e.g. a player like Diego Castro, or better), then other Melbourne City players would stay in line. Not signing a quality marquee both deprived the club of a quality marquee, and contributes to some squad instability, as players can then angle for marquee spots.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He was here last season as an injury replacement, so he and his agent had sufficient time to find out about salary cap, marquees etc. Some of these guys need to get real - sign a two-year contract, put in a passable performance and then expect to be a marquee?
Loved the guy when he first came, but it's time for him to go if he really doesn't want to be here.

Absolutely, major issue with visa players. Unfortunately that's the nature of the A League and it'll probably always be like that, especially whilst the league uses a salary cap.

For all of the baggage that comes with Harry he is a very good player but we do know what we're going to get from Harry and we know he's a class player. There's always a big risk that visa players can flop and with Koren/Hughes old visa spots already avaliable if Bruno and Harry also go that's four visa spots we need to fill in one off season.

21 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

The club/CFG has to shoulder some of the blame for this situation. When the club signs such poor value marquees, such as Robert Koren and Joshua Kennedy, then every other capable player can understandably wonder why a player like Robert Koren (who made $1 million dollars a year) is making more than five times more money then them--Fornaroli even only makes $180,000 a year.

I said it a while back, but if the club just signed a quality marquee in the first place (e.g. a player like Diego Castro, or better), then other Melbourne City players would stay in line. Not signing a quality marquee both deprived the club of a quality marquee, and contributes to some squad instability, as players can then angle for marquee spots.

I think it would certainly help if we had a bigger marquee but I don't think it would make as much of a difference as you say.

These players aren't necessarily angling for marquee deals at Melbourne City, they're angling for marquee deals anywhere in the A-League. It happens all the time in this league, plenty of players have moved from one club as a salary cap player to another as a marquee (off the top of my head, Berisha when he joined Victory, and now Barbarouses joining Wellington). It's a consequence of the salary cap, you can't keep hold of your good players once they prove themselves in this league, and having no transfer fees between A-League clubs doesn't help either.

Edited by Tesla

35 minutes ago, Deviant said:

It just goes to show how much of a team player he is.

If that's an official event that he's at then it just shows what a dill he is. Wants to be a marquee but doesn't wear the tracksuit of the club that rescued him from the scrapheap. 

• Like 1

I think it is completely justifiable from him to say he is worthy of marquee money. He is easily in the top 20 players in the league, made the team of the year, is durable, plays 90 minutes, is a matchwinner and marketable. Could we do better with our second marquee spot (Bruno obviously takes the other)? Probably. But it can't be denied he would comfortably fill that spot at most clubs and even with us we will be hard pressed to find a player who can deliver the raw stats he has.

(I'm not in favour of making him marquee btw, we need a Mooy replacement with that money, but I can understand his reasoning, especially considering his opinion of himself).

2 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

I think it is completely justifiable from him to say he is worthy of marquee money. He is easily in the top 20 players in the league, made the team of the year, is durable, plays 90 minutes, is a matchwinner and marketable. Could we do better with our second marquee spot (Bruno obviously takes the other)? Probably. But it can't be denied he would comfortably fill that spot at most clubs and even with us we will be hard pressed to find a player who can deliver the raw stats he has.

(I'm not in favour of making him marquee btw, we need a Mooy replacement with that money, but I can understand his reasoning, especially considering his opinion of himself).

I've obviously seen a completely different Novillo. He's been a dead shit at at least two clubs (Mons and Clermont Foot) before being one here. Don't rate him at all.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I've obviously seen a completely different Novillo. He's been a dead shit at at least two clubs (Mons and Clermont Foot) before being one here. Don't rate him at all.

I didn't say anything about his professionalism or off field behaviour, which are both lacking. On field though he is certainly in the mix to be an A-League marquee.

In my opinion, I don't think he warrants marquee money until he gets his shit together, you can't have one out of two of your most influential players (if he were to be a marquee at a HAL club) missing a final because he can't control himself in a heated situation, and I think if he was marquee this year he would have done the same shit again.

It is clear he has had behavioral issue through his whole career and I don't think giving him more money is going to change that (unless he spends it on some anger management sessions).

I have gone back a forth in recent times about Harry, I hope he will stay and I think he should be on more money, but he should 100% not be a marquee at City, and if that's the only thing that will keep him then he can fuck right off.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mandangalo said:

In my opinion, I don't think he warrants marquee money until he gets his shit together, you can't have one out of two of your most influential players (if he were to be a marquee at a HAL club) missing a final because he can't control himself in a heated situation, and I think if he was marquee this year he would have done the same shit again.

It is clear he has had behavioral issue through his whole career and I don't think giving him more money is going to change that (unless he spends it on some anger management sessions).

I have gone back a forth in recent times about Harry, I hope he will stay and I think he should be on more money, but he should 100% not be a marquee at City, and if that's the only thing that will keep him then he can fuck right off.

I'm with you on that. I think we can and need to do better with that spot.

As for the missing a final because of a lack of control, Berisha's hot temper has not hurt his ability to be a marquee, even this year he only played finals through dumb luck.

The issue is not just Novillo. Whilst its clear that we have very good players in our team, possibly more than any other in the league, we have not been a very good team. Many of our deficiencies have been covered up by the individual abilities of the holy trinity. I believe that man management and player management issues have a big part in this but so does the way the individuals combine as a whole. None of us really know enough facts about these issues but we can all see the results. If Harry is not a factor in these issues then keep him, if he is an issue and we either retain JVS (in which case it won't be managed) or have a new coach who can see better alternatives elsewhere then I'd sell him.

52 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Novillo had a lot of issues. Some off field and some on. But let's be honest, 10 goals in 20 games plus 6 assists is bloody good. If his replacement can match that average over a whole season I'd be very happy.

what issues?  He doesn't defend from the front, Ok, a lot of other front men don't either.  He got involved in a half time kick and shove- meh we see far worse than that on the pitch that actually connect, week in week out.  

Off field.  No-one here knows what happened.  No evidence that he hit his partner, no charges laid.  Guilty in the Court of Public opinion.

3 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

what issues?  He doesn't defend from the front, Ok, a lot of other front men don't either.  He got involved in a half time kick and shove- meh we see far worse than that on the pitch that actually connect, week in week out.  

Off field.  No-one here knows what happened.  No evidence that he hit his partner, no charges laid.  Guilty in the Court of Public opinion.

Good God man. Football is a team sport and he at times hasn't been the team player when defending. Our team defend from the front, so this is an 'issue' for our team. He might not have to do this with another team but for us we needed him to defend to suit our style. 

Off field he was reported of having police come to an incident he was involved in at a bar, then there's the domestic disturbance and there's his lack of punctuality with attending training sessions on time. 

My point is he wasn't a model professional by any stretch of the imagination. But his ability to be one of the best players in the league is evident. 

• Like 1