Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

1.Kicking out like that in the heat of the moment- who hasn't done something stupid when they've been fired up that they regretted later? Remember he's only young.

2. The domestic thing. Doesn't sound good but the club punished him, so it's dealt with.

3. Stories told by the man himself about how many times he's been late for training. This is the really serious one in my book. A professional should never be late, it's as simple as that. How can you build a club culture when a senior player thinks training is a joke? If he leaves this will be why.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I wouldn't rip up Novillo's contract. I'd give him support and help him out. AFL players do things ten times worse and they only get a slap on wrist and many of you out there still attend AFL games. If the AFL was as stringent as the FFA, AFL wouldn't exist by now.

Why stop at AFL, why not compare the ALeague to ice hockey or UFC as well?

For me its one of those things that only those inside the club know the best answer. If his actions are disrupting the squad, then yeah get rid of him, but if hes a well liked guy and guilty of only showing some mongrel then I can't see why he'd be shown the door. Nobody on the forum really has the full information on what should be done with him. 

Edited by hedaik

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

1.Kicking out like that in the heat of the moment- who hasn't done something stupid when they've been fired up that they regretted later? Remember he's only young.

2. The domestic thing. Doesn't sound good but the club punished him, so it's dealt with.

3. Stories told by the man himself about how many times he's been late for training. This is the really serious one in my book. A professional should never be late, it's as simple as that. How can you build a club culture when a senior player thinks training is a joke? If he leaves this will be why.

Number 3 and also the rumours that he doesnt get along with his team mates is the concerns for me. As Deviant pointed out when he scores no one really celebrates with him but when someone else scores the whole team is jumping on them etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Why stop at AFL, why not compare the ALeague to ice hockey or UFC as well?

For me its one of those things that only those inside the club know the best answer. If his actions are disrupting the squad, then yeah get rid of him, but if hes a well liked guy and guilty of only showing some mongrel then I can't see why he'd be shown the door. Nobody on the forum really has the full information on what should be done with him. 

I don't condone his behaviour but I feel some on the forum are quick to show him the door. Imagine having Berisha in the squad? The guy is tool and a cheat but I'm certain if he played for us we would protect and love him regardless. Novillo isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

None of us are 100% perfect in the jobs we doing and I guess our relationships are far from ideal too. 

Lets not bury him too quick as I'm sure there is more to him than we know. 

I liked his involvement in the handbag fight at half time. He got involved, good to see 👍

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Number 3 and also the rumours that he doesnt get along with his team mates is the concerns for me. As Deviant pointed out when he scores no one really celebrates with him but when someone else scores the whole team is jumping on them etc.

Is that true though? To me, he seems to celebrate others' goals and gets involved as much as anyone.  I recall him going nuts a few weeks back when Fitzgerald scored against Brisbane down here.

Mooy on the other hand doesn't show too much emotion when someone scores.

I just want him to turn up and do his job.

In any other work place if you went to kick someone you would be stood down immediately plus I am sure there would be other legal ramifications.

Seeing him play in all home games there is a consistent behavioural pattern on laying the blame on everyone else and having a go at other players. All negative interactions rather than positive encouragement especially for the younger players.

His antics with Bruno after Bruno had a go at him for not pushing forward for the cross on multiple occasions resulting in Bruno being left dry trying hold the ball on the wing, was just a 'I don't give a shit' situation.

And blasting Marino when he came on for losing the ball is exactly the type of attitude we need at the club right?

If we get through this week and he gets his suspension reduced I don't recon he should play, UNLESS all the players want him there because I don't want the whole team suffering on the field because of his issues.

And JVS can't manage this type of player so if Harry stays JVS needs to go, but also if we are getting some marquees with big personalities and egos then he won't manage these guys well either, so he needs to go anyway.

Harry just do your job mate, its not hard.

I think the major problem with an off fire Novillo is that in our current set up, if he's not having a good game then Fornaroli is having to fetch a lot of his own ball on the wing and in deeper areas, which is fine, providing there's another option, but without Novillo (or maybe a Marino, or someone else) up the ground to support El Tuna, then the whole thing starts to look very, very ordinary.

31 minutes ago, playmaker said:

In any other work place if you went to kick someone you would be stood down immediately plus I am sure there would be other legal ramifications.

What about if you're a kickboxing instructor?

What is it with these stupid comparisons, if you also ran around your workplace kicking a soccerball around you'd probably be fired too.

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, hedaik said:

What about if you're a kickboxing instructor?

What is it with these stupid comparisons, if you also ran around your workplace kicking a soccerball around you'd probably be fired too.

No worries next time someone at work pisses me off I will just kick them in the shin. I will let u know how I go. :huh:

Edited by playmaker

3 hours ago, malloy said:

No one celebrates with him? Are you cooked bro? He does that dance thing so everyone gives him space for that, then they jump on him, Franjic even has his own celebration with him doing the basketball thing. Plus, in the 360 city walk thing in Adelaide Novillo was chatting with the boys on the sidewalk and making everyone laugh. I've seen no proof of any dislike of him.

Edited by jeffplz
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

He is what he is.

Our x factor. Can be the best player on the team when he wants to. If only we had a half competent coach to keep him in line...

I like to blame JVS for stuff as much as the next guy, but it would seem he's not the first coach who's been unable to keep Harry in line and get the best out of him.

I think Harry's problems lie with Harry rather than everyone else.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Embee said:

I like to blame JVS for stuff as much as the next guy, but it would seem he's not the first coach who's been unable to keep Harry in line and get the best out of him.

I think Harry's problems lie with Harry rather than everyone else.

Fair enough however I don't think JVS has proven to be a great people person in the past. I remembered when he had a falling out with collosimo back in the heart days, it just seems he doesn't build a great relationships with his players compared to someone like ange for example.

It would be interesting to see how novillo would act if an older, wiser coach coached us. It might not fix novillo but would it be a lot better then what jvs is showing right now!

2 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Fair enough however I don't think JVS has proven to be a great people person in the past. I remembered when he had a falling out with collosimo back in the heart days, it just seems he doesn't build a great relationships with his players compared to someone like ange for example.

It would be interesting to see how novillo would act if an older, wiser coach coached us. It might not fix novillo but would it be a lot better then what jvs is showing right now!

No he's definitely not, it's probably one of his biggest faults, Harry does seem to have a lengthy track record on his side too though.

I won't disagree there at all, but I think the decision to move Harry on will be made by the powers that be higher up regardless of what JVS or any potential new coach thinks about it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeffplz said:

No one celebrates with him? Are you cooked bro? He does that dance thing so everyone gives him space for that, then they jump on him, Franjic even has his own celebration with him doing the basketball thing. Plus, in the 360 city walk thing in Adelaide Novillo was chatting with the boys on the sidewalk and making everyone laugh. I've seen no proof of any dislike of him.

Yeah, I must admit I was baffled by that comment...thought I must have had some rose tinted shades on, with regards to Novillo. But check out the highlights videos of the last three games where he's scored for us.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/matchcentre/Melbourne-City-FC-v-Wellington-Phoenix/811733

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/matchcentre/Western-Sydney-Wanderers-FC-v-Melbourne-City-FC/811689

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/matchcentre/Melbourne-City-FC-v-Wellington-Phoenix/811687

Now, one of those goals brought the deficit back to 1-3 in the final 15 minutes against the Wanderers, so it's not especially surprising that no-one was really doing cartwheels after he found the back of the net. But the other evidence, both before and after his club-imposed suspension suggests that some people are either pretty seriously mistaken, or they're simply making shit up.

Suspension upheld. Will miss semi-final. Although in this case IMO it's probably the best outcome in that if he had played I think Adelaide would have targeted him, I don't think it's good for his longer-term prospects at the club. Which is a very great pity.

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

You can? Please explain...

If you look at both incidents as being identical, Berisha received punishment for his actions on the pitch and was sent off. Harry wasn't punished for his kick out and was allowed to continue playing. So it could be argued that, besides the 30 minutes Berisha played at the beginning of the game, both players missed two games. 

Regarding the intent of the kick outs it's possible to see Berishas as being provoked by Durante whereas Harry was attempting to provoke Mauk.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

If you look at both incidents as being identical, Berisha received punishment for his actions on the pitch and was sent off. Harry wasn't punished for his kick out and was allowed to continue playing. So it could be argued that, besides the 30 minutes Berisha played at the beginning of the game, both players missed two games.

Regarding the intent of the kick outs it's possible to see Berishas as being provoked by Durante whereas Harry was attempting to provoke Mauk.

Provocation isn't and shouldn't be a defence

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

Is harry's career at Melbourne city fc finished now due to this suspension?

Without knowing shit. I think his future at City is dependent on who will coach next season. If JVS remains it's more likely than not. A new boss will probably try someone different. 

FWIW I think he should stay. A player of his quality and age under the cap is very hard to find. He's never going to consistent but look at his overall record for us. The best wide/forward we've had and potentially will improve. 

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Provocation isn't and shouldn't be a defence

Not a problem, if that's the way they see it. Then it comes down to my first sentence, Berisha was sent off for his acts, Harry wasn't and this is the reason for the extra match ban. For what its worth I would have loved nothing more for hat scumbag to get an extra week.  

23 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Without knowing shit. I think his future at City is dependent on who will coach next season. If JVS remains it's more likely than not. A new boss will probably try someone different. 

FWIW I think he should stay. A player of his quality and age under the cap is very hard to find. He's never going to consistent but look at his overall record for us. The best wide/forward we've had and potentially will improve. 

I'm not his greatest fan, but no question in my mind that he should stay. Surely City and CFG have enough resources to give it another season to get the guy right in the head on and off the pitch? Give him the support he obviously needs and make it very clear the rules he has to conform to, and give him another chance. It's not as if we haven't persevered with players before... Who amongst us has not made mistakes in our lives?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not his greatest fan, but no question in my mind that he should stay. Surely City and CFG have enough resources to give it another season to get the guy right in the head on and off the pitch? Give him the support he obviously needs and make it very clear the rules he has to conform to, and give him another chance. It's not as if we haven't persevered with players before... Who amongst us has not made mistakes in our lives?

Well said.

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

To me, I would prefer that he sort his shit out and continue to play but under no circumstances should he be promoted to a bigger pay packet in the immediate future. What is troubling is that Novillo was also at big clubs that could have helped him along. He was even in the French youth team so this is not a first mistake or errant issue - and as the club has noted some of his misdemeanours have been things like being late for training. With the new gaffer, he may have a saviour but at some point he is going to harm the teams chances and someone will have to call time on his career in Melbourne City.