Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

i can really see this guy lifting in the derby. You can tell he loves the big stage and thrives off the pressure. He'll put on a show

EDIT: just remembered MV will have Thomas in goals. Even more reason they should be worried about Novillo getting onto a shot

Edited by heart_fan10

i can really see this guy lifting in the derby. You can tell he loves the big stage and thrives off the pressure. He'll put on a show

EDIT: just remembered MV will have Thomas in goals. Even more reason they should be worried about Novillo getting onto a shot

Disagree, I think people will finally realise how overrated this bloke is. Rather the players I think are crucial to our attacking success will be our better players (Kennedy, Mooy, Germano, and possibly Koren if not played out of position).

We shall see, I dare say this game will end the Tesla vs The Forum debate regarding Novillo, one way or the other.

Edited by Tesla

Disagree, I think people will finally realise how overrated this bloke is. Rather the players I think are crucial to our attacking success will be our better players (Kennedy, Mooy, Germano, and possibly Koren if not played out of position).

We shall see, I dare say this game will end the Tesla vs The Forum debate regarding Novillo, one way or the other.

Actually I don't think you are on your own. No one disputes that he adds to the team, just that some of us are being conscious of his flaws and as Silva has pointed out whether they can be fixed. And if there is someone out there that can bring the same dynamics without the flaws for the same price then it makes things easier for next season. But if they can't find someone then I am happy for him to stay.

IMO Tesla is close to the mark with his opinions of Harry N. He is the best of what we've got, but he's incredibly wasteful - a sort of enhanced version of Williams/Dugandzic/Ramsay.

Tesla is also right in another thread where he talks about "attacking efficiency" as opposed to how many shots you have or how much possession you have. We have had five seasons of experience of attacking inefficiency.

We need to watch very carefully that we don't get carried away in the euphoria of a win or perhaps two or three at the end of the season and re-sign everyone based on those results alone.

I agree that Novillo is not as good as what people are making him out to be. However, i think he's fairly consistent in his performances and gives us something different. The way he plays is very direct and with a lot of confidence which is exactly what we need in these finals matches. He played a big role in our first goal yesterday, and obviously scored the second.

Novillo is very different from Williams and the like in at least 1 important way: he's a lot more confident and direct, and he creates and takes more shots.

Over 9 games, totaling 628 minutes, Novillo has taken 30 shots, that's 1 shot every 20 minutes, getting 43% on target. And as of yesterday he's scored 3 goals (all from open play).

To contrast, Williams has played 25 games, totaling 1466 minutes, and has only taken 29 shots, averaging 1 shot every 50 minutes. Williams has only scored 3 goals (and 1 of course was a pen).

So Novillo might be consider 'wasteful' by some, but he creates more shots first place, with excellent feet that can make space for himself (and makes defenders step off him, like how Sigmund was 1 metre away from Novillo when he took his goal yesterday), and a confidence and directness to shoot when he has the opportunity (how many other City players would have bottled it and not shot when Novillo shot and scored yesterday?). I'd actually compare Novillo to Cristiano Ronaldo, who also takes significantly more shots and has a lower conversion rate than the other very best strikers: http://thinkfootball.co.uk/statistical-analysis-is-cristiano-ronaldo-too-wasteful-to-be-considered-as-good-as-lionel-messi/

Personally I'm very happy to see a player as direct as Novillo in the team, after watching less attacking-minded players like Rutger Worm, Mate Dugandzic, David Williams and Iain Ramsay for so much of this club's history. Indeed looking at another set of stats (which I'm pretty certain includes blocked shots) Novillo averages the most shots per game in the whole league at 4.1 shots per game, whereas Williams only has 1.5 shots per game.

And this is just a glance at the overall numbers. I'd contend that Novillo's finishing is significantly better than Williams', with Novillo scoring goals that the likes of Williams certainly couldn't manage (such as his piece of individual magic against WSW), and his misses often not being too far off, often curling around the outside of the post (very different to Williams' skied efforts which endanger the health of people in Row Z behind the goal).

Then there's the other aspects of Novillo's game. To narrow in on just his finishing is to really overlook numerous other qualities he brings to the table. In particular he has excellent feet and can hold onto the ball until other players are ready to participate in the attack, with an excellent example being midway through the 59th minute yesterday, when Novillo held the ball up and easily beat Boxall (with an 'elastico' nutmeg), and then passing to Germano who had just arrived in the final third and was able to cross the ball for Kennedy's inches wide header. Also, Novillo is a good ball carrier, as shown with the goal he scored, where Novillo's pace and directness took the ball from our third to the final third after the Wellington corner, with him then passing off the ball to Mooy and Novillo ultimately finishing the attacking move himself with a goal.

His style of play might not be everyone's cup of tea, as he is something of a 'selfish' or 'confident' attacking player, depending on your perspective. But IMO his selfish play has largely been warranted, as he's scored 1 goal every 3 games (1 goal every 209 minutes). So like Ronaldo and other 'selfish' players he does take more shots, but overall he does ultimately get the business done and score goals (compare with Williams getting 1 open play goal 12 games, or every 733 minutes). So he ultimately provides output, and IMO he brings a sorely needed confidence to the team's attacking play. And IMO he is one of the few players who have played for this club who is exciting to watch.

If the club could just now sign a more humble winger on the opposite flank more capable and focused on providing assists, like Damien Duff or better, then IMO City would have a very balanced and dangerous forward line that could finally finish off the attacking moves our 1st class midfield has been producing all season long for hitherto profligate forwards.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

Ive watched the replay of the game and he's definitely getting better using his team mates around him. The other thing he is vastly different to Williams and Dugandziz because so far he hasn't butchered chances like those two. He hits the target almost half the time as murphy said. He's far from perfect however I think he can fit himself perfectly in the future at Melbourne City.

• Like 3

Novillo is very different from Williams and the like in at least 1 important way: he's a lot more confident and direct, and he creates and takes more shots.

Over 9 games, totaling 628 minutes, Novillo has taken 30 shots, that's 1 shot every 20 minutes, getting 43% on target. And as of yesterday he's scored 3 goals (all from open play).

To contrast, Williams has played 25 games, totaling 1466 minutes, and has only taken 29 shots, averaging 1 shot every 50 minutes. Williams has only scored 3 goals (and 1 of course was a pen).

So Novillo might be consider 'wasteful' by some, but he creates more shots first place, with excellent feet that can make space for himself (and makes defenders step off him, like how Sigmund was 1 metre away from Novillo when he took his goal yesterday), and a confidence and directness to shoot when he has the opportunity (how many other City players would have bottled it and not shot when Novillo shot and scored yesterday?). I'd actually compare Novillo to Cristiano Ronaldo, who also takes significantly more shots and has a lower conversion rate than the other very best strikers: http://thinkfootball.co.uk/statistical-analysis-is-cristiano-ronaldo-too-wasteful-to-be-considered-as-good-as-lionel-messi/

Personally I'm very happy to see a player as direct as Novillo in the team, after watching less attacking-minded players like Rutger Worm, Mate Dugandzic, David Williams and Iain Ramsay for so much of this club's history. Indeed looking at another set of stats (which I'm pretty certain includes blocked shots) Novillo averages the most shots per game in the whole league at 4.1 shots per game, whereas Williams only has 1.5 shots per game.

And this is just a glance at the overall numbers. I'd contend that Novillo's finishing is significantly better than Williams', with Novillo scoring goals that the likes of Williams certainly couldn't manage (such as his piece of individual magic against WSW), and his misses often not being too far off, often curling around the outside of the post (very different to Williams' skied efforts which endanger the health of people in Row Z behind the goal).

Then there's the other aspects of Novillo's game. To narrow in on just his finishing is to really overlook numerous other qualities he brings to the table. In particular he has excellent feet and can hold onto the ball until other players are ready to participate in the attack, with an excellent example being midway through the 59th minute yesterday, when Novillo held the ball up and easily beat Boxall (with an 'elastico' nutmeg), and then passing to Germano who had just arrived in the final third and was able to cross the ball for Kennedy's inches wide header. Also, Novillo is a good ball carrier, as shown with the goal he scored, where Novillo's pace and directness took the ball from our third to the final third after the Wellington corner, with him then passing off the ball to Mooy and Novillo ultimately finishing the attacking move himself with a goal.

His style of play might not be everyone's cup of tea, as he is something of a 'selfish' or 'confident' attacking player, depending on your perspective. But IMO his selfish play has largely been warranted, as he's scored 1 goal every 3 games (1 goal every 209 minutes). So like Ronaldo and other 'selfish' players he does take more shots, but overall he does ultimately get the business done and score goals (compare with Williams getting 1 open play goal 12 games, or every 733 minutes). So he ultimately provides output, and IMO he brings a sorely needed confidence to the team's attacking play. And IMO he is one of the few players who have played for this club who is exciting to watch.

If the club could just now sign a more humble winger on the opposite flank more capable and focused on providing assists, like Damien Duff or better, then IMO City would have a very balanced and dangerous forward line that could finally finish off the attacking moves our 1st class midfield has been producing all season long for hitherto profligate forwards.

Great piece. I am now happy if he were to be retained by City.

• Like 1

I have to add, my criticisms of this guy are based in him as a winger. Now if he was playing as a striker or a second striker things become very different. He has all the attributes to be a success there, and the things that make him a questionable winger actually would make him a good striker (selfishness, all out attacking mentality). He can hit a shot, he is physically very good, basically everything is going for him as a striker.

One thing he can't do is cross, so there isn't much of a loss if we remove him from the wing.

Kennedy with Novillo running off him sounds like a very dangerous front two to me. Kennedy will bring it down for Novillo to score, while when Novillo runs with the ball and draws in the defenders or has a shot that the keeper can only parry they'll be plenty of tap in chances for Kennedy which is his bread and butter.

Edited by Tesla

I have to add, my criticisms of this guy are based in him as a winger. Now if he was playing as a striker or a second striker things become very different. He has all the attributes to be a success there, and the things that make him a questionable winger actually would make him a good striker (selfishness, all out attacking mentality). He can hit a shot, he is physically very good, basically everything is going for him as a striker.

One thing he can't do is cross, so there isn't much of a loss if we remove him from the wing.

Kennedy with Novillo running off him sounds like a very dangerous front two to me. Kennedy will bring it down for Novillo to score, while when Novillo runs with the ball and draws in the defenders or has a shot that the keeper can only parry they'll be plenty of tap in chances for Kennedy which is his bread and butter.

I understand what you say and that is the role he should play, an inside forward to play off Kennedy.

our players have not played to their strengths all year!

It comes down to organisation.

IMO Tesla is close to the mark with his opinions of Harry N. He is the best of what we've got, but he's incredibly wasteful - a sort of enhanced version of Williams/Dugandzic/Ramsay.

Tesla is also right in another thread where he talks about "attacking efficiency" as opposed to how many shots you have or how much possession you have. We have had five seasons of experience of attacking inefficiency.

We need to watch very carefully that we don't get carried away in the euphoria of a win or perhaps two or three at the end of the season and re-sign everyone based on those results alone.

Murf's put it a lot more eloquently than I could, but I'm just not sure about that at all. To me, Duga, Ramsay (when he's playing up the park) and (to a lesser extent) Williams' main faults aren't their wayward/wasteful finishing (though that is a problem, no doubt); it's that I often forget that they're on the park, even when they've been out there for 90 minutes. Can't speak for anyone else, but I never forget that Novillo is out there, because he's in the middle of everything.

• Like 3

Harry Novillo hopes to make Melbourne City home whatever happens in Friday semi-final against Victory

Michael Lynch

May 6, 2015

He's not exactly the accidental tourist, after all, he was plucked out of nowhere on the basis of his highlights footage being better than the other applicants.

But having arrived in Melbourne via a serendipitous route, French winger Harry Novillo is desperately hoping that Friday night's semi-final will not be the occasion he bids his Melbourne City team-mates adieu.

Rather, he hopes it will be the key to sealing a new deal with the Manchester City-owned club that can allow him to call Melbourne home for a few years to come.

Novillo, a junior international with France at under 16, 17, 18 and 19 level, came to the Latrobe University- based club as an injury replacement for Irish international Damien Duff earlier this year.

But the Lyon born and raised youngster - he joined the famous French side's football nursery as a six year old - is enjoying the ride at City so much that he wants to be part of the club's plans for the future.

The 23-year-old, who has pledged his international future to Martinique, the country of his parent's birth, has made a decent impression in his eight appearances for the City, scoring twice. 

He had probably his best game for the John Van 't Schip's team on Sunday in Wellington when he was a constant threat in forward areas and played a huge hand in the second goal that wrapped the game up for City, striking the ball against the post before it rebounded against Phoenix goalkeeper Glen Moss and into the net.

And few who saw his fierce long range strike against Western Sydney Wanderers on Good Friday will forget it.

Like his team-mates he has struggled for consistency - he can do some impressive things on the ball one moment and then give it away the next - but he is hoping they can collectively rise to the challenge presented by league leaders Victory on Friday night and prolong City's finals ride for another week.

While he played nearly 40 games in a five-year period in France's top two divisions, he never quite made the breakthrough his promise might have suggested.

But he is adamant that playing in the A-League and with City is a much more enjoyable experience than in the cut-throat world of European football and it is one he wishes to continue.

"If it was my destiny to stay there (Lyon and France), I would be there now. Maybe my destiny for the future is Melbourne City," he said on Wednesday.

"I am happy for my friends who play there, and I am happy to be here. Now in my head I don't want to go back in Europe. I can call this a new family.

"In Europe you don't have that, it's really different to here. When I talk to players here and I tell them that they think I am joking, but the football and the mentality is really different.

"If it was only football I would want to go back, but there are other things around the football I don't like. Of course, If I can stay, I will stay, but we have to discuss with the staff and the club and try to find the good way for me. In my head next year I am in Melbourne, but you don't know with the future. Maybe tomorrow it can change."

Whatever happens, he cannot wait for the chance to knock over the title favourites, whom he has yet to face. By the time he joined City early in March they had already played Victory three times in the A-League so this will be his first chance to lock horns with Kevin Muscat's men.

"I am excited because every day I think about the game. When I signed for Melbourne City, the first thing they tell me is if we play against Melbourne Victory you will see the big stage.  I watched the calendar and Victory was not on the calendar (schedule), and I think maybe it's the final. Maybe now it's the moment for us to take, we have opportunity to show to the A-League that we are a good team."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/harry-novillo-hopes-to-make-melbourne-city-home-whatever-happens-in-friday-semifinal-against-victory-20150506-ggvazz.html?

Had to look up Martinique which happens to be a prefecture of France in the Caribbean  BUT it has its own national team. How does that work?

They're only a member of CONCACAF but they aren't recognised by FIFA.

I just look at his first touch and ball control.

On this alone, you can't mention duga and willo in the same sentence as him.

Ramsey also in that category.

Ramsey isn't in the same category as Williams and duga. He is next level shithouse

I disagree, and yes its an unpopular opinion but i think Ramsey has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the league. He's just been trained for a whole pre-season to play as a left back, next thing you know, club realises theyve made a huge mistake and sent him packing to the reserves.

imo i think ramsey needs another season, full pre season and use as a winger and an impact sub to get some confidence. In fact the games that he was used in this role he did a good job, even scored. Baring in mind it was a tap in but still.

Give the guy a chance

Ramsey isn't in the same category as Williams and duga. He is next level shithouse

I disagree, and yes its an unpopular opinion but i think Ramsey has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the league. He's just been trained for a whole pre-season to play as a left back, next thing you know, club realises theyve made a huge mistake and sent him packing to the reserves.

imo i think ramsey needs another season, full pre season and use as a winger and an impact sub to get some confidence. In fact the games that he was used in this role he did a good job, even scored. Baring in mind it was a tap in but still.

Give the guy a chance

Showed flashes of brilliance during his spell at Adelaide but hasn't offered a lot here. 

He is very much a confidence player and the whole left-back debacle would have drained a lot of that confidence, so I agree that he needs another pre-season (under new management hopefully).

• Like 1

Ramsey also in that category. Ramsey isn't in the same category as Williams and duga. He is next level shithouse

I disagree, and yes its an unpopular opinion but i think Ramsey has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the league. He's just been trained for a whole pre-season to play as a left back, next thing you know, club realises theyve made a huge mistake and sent him packing to the reserves.

Give the guy a chance

What are you smoking?The blokes done, doesn't matter where you play him on the pitch he is average at best.

• Like 1

Ramsey also in that category. Ramsey isn't in the same category as Williams and duga. He is next level shithouse I disagree, and yes its an unpopular opinion but i think Ramsey has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the league. He's just been trained for a whole pre-season to play as a left back, next thing you know, club realises theyve made a huge mistake and sent him packing to the reserves.

Give the guy a chance

What are you smoking?The blokes done, doesn't matter where you play him on the pitch he is average at best.

Like I said, with a full pre-season and right management he could go toe to toe with the rest of the wingers at our club and be as useful as someone like Henrique for roar. Not saying hes amazing but could offer a lot more if used correctly

but like i said, unpopular opinion  :P

Ramsey also in that category. Ramsey isn't in the same category as Williams and duga. He is next level shithouse

I disagree, and yes its an unpopular opinion but i think Ramsey has the potential to be one of the best wingers in the league. He's just been trained for a whole pre-season to play as a left back, next thing you know, club realises theyve made a huge mistake and sent him packing to the reserves.

Give the guy a chance

Did l just read what l thought l read about Ramsey?

Give the guy a chance

Welcome to the forum Iain. Alternatively someone has hacked Hazzaverx' account to discredit him

• Like 3