Melbourne Football

Round 20: Central Coast v. City, Gosford, Sun 8th March, KO 3.00 p.m.

jw1739

Gonna go four games unbeaten after this match  ;)

Also Bozza reckons we can win the Championship if we make the top 6!

One step at a time, but I'd say regardless of who finishes sixth from here on (us or Brisbane), they'd fancy themselves against anyone, anywhere (with the possible exception of us at Etihad...). The problem is that the team that finishes sixth is in that position because it's up and down, so us knocking (probably) the teams in first, second and third in three consecutive weeks away from home, is pretty fanciful. But beating any of them in a single away game? Why not?

It's genuinely such an even league, that even though the finals series have generally gone pretty close to script, there's really no reason why that always should be the case. If it kicked off next week, we'd have Adelaide over there. I think we'd have every chance of getting a win there (you'd be crazy not to, given Friday's result). Then if everything went to script, it would be Perth away...the Glory haven't beaten us this year. And so on.

Anyone can beat anyone on a given weekend in the A-League, it's the teams that find the consistency that has never been present here for any length of time that have success.

As for our history against the Mariners, well, they've finished second, first, second and third on the table since Heart started. They've already matched their worst tally of losses in a season since we joined the league (nine last year). And yet, we've only taken a point from them so far. Anything less than a win would be incredibly deflating.

Edited by SF33

Yes important game, like every game from here on in. What I find most important is that we stay ahead of Brisbane, especially with them having a game in hand. As we are 2 points ahead Id rather Brisbane chasing us than the other way around. So in that context, a win in this game is really needed.

Technically this is true.

It wont happen, but it can happen

I wanted to punch the TV yesterday when Bosnich asked Aloisi the question:

B: Do you think the way Melbourne City is playing they could win it?

A: Well they have to finish in the top 6 first

B: So do you think if Melbourne City finishes in the top 6 they could go all the way?

A: Well Brisbane is pretty strong too so they have to compete for that 6th spot first

B: Okay, well I think if City finishes in the top 6, they're good enough to go all the way.

A: I think every club who finishes in the top 6 has a chance to win it...

FFS, this dumbass used to be our coach!!!

• Like 2

Technically this is true.

It wont happen, but it can happen

I wanted to punch the TV yesterday when Bosnich asked Aloisi the question:

B: Do you think the way Melbourne City is playing they could win it?

A: Well they have to finish in the top 6 first

B: So do you think if Melbourne City finishes in the top 6 they could go all the way?

A: Well Brisbane is pretty strong too so they have to compete for that 6th spot first

B: Okay, well I think if City finishes in the top 6, they're good enough to go all the way.

A: I think every club who finishes in the top 6 has a chance to win it...

FFS, this dumbass used to be our coach!!!

I took it that Bozza was trolling him and rubbing it in how much better they are now JA isn't coach, hence JA squirming in his seat and avoiding the question.

It's amazing that we just can't seem to beat them.

The match at AAMI Park this season against them just summed up too well how we just seem to fall apart against them.

Looking at their list each year, they should be easy beats but for some reason they can grind out results. Even this year they have been terrible for most of it yet they aren't that far behind.

Going to predict another fall from grave for us this week. We struggle to gain momentum at the best of times, but against CCM our past results seem to sum up our chances in this one.. Not that high .

Looking at their list each year, they should be easy beats but for some reason they can grind out results. 

This has been their signature over the years and a key to why they are so successful. On the other hand, not being able to grind out wins and get results while under the pump has been our signature and a key to why we have not been successful.

i want to "believe" that we can win this one, but i'm still reeling from the debacle last time. or perhaps its just the same old knowledge that City can be good one week, shite the next.

last time around we'd played and beaten Newcastle 5-2 away the game before, only to go down 2-0 with Tando being sent off.  

mind you, we had Chapman and Hoffman out with Archibald and Wielaart their respectful replacements  - Archibald isnt up to it yet and Wielaart was largely out of position in an ageing backline that had come off a 3 day turn around.  Melling too was not playing through suspension.

at least this time our defensive stocks are stronger.

plus Duke ripped us to shreds.  Ferreira has performed well for them since signing by all means, but not convinced he is at his best yet so glad to get him now than in four or five weeks.

would expect a line up similar to:

Tando

Jaliens - Chapman - Kisnorbo - Clisby

Paartalu

Murdocca - Mooy         

Williams - Kennedy - Koren

i think Melling will be very sorely missed this week.

Edited by mattyh001

i want to "believe" that we can win this one, but i'm still reeling from the debacle last time. or perhaps its just the same old knowledge that City can be good one week, shite the next.

last time around we'd played and beaten Newcastle 5-2 away the game before, only to go down 2-0 with Tando being sent off.  

mind you, we had Chapman and Hoffman out with Archibald and Wielaart their respectful replacements  - Archibald isnt up to it yet and Wielaart was largely out of position in an ageing backline that had come off a 3 day turn around.  Melling too was not playing through suspension.

plus Duke ripped us to shreds.  Ferreira has performed well for them since signing by all means, but not convinced he is at his best yet so glad to get him now than in four or five weeks.

Tando

Paartalu

Murdocca - Mooy         

I think Baharudin did enough for a start. Clisby was also solid. If were sticking with 4 at the back its not unreasonable to think Kisnorbo may make way and play Chapman and Jaliens with Clisby and Baharudin as fb. Add this we have a game on Wednesday.

Tando

Paartalu

Murdocca - Mooy         

I think Safuwan will get the nod over Clisby to be honest.

The question is do we start Williams? He has been poor when starting and been better coming off the bench.

What about this French kid? Is it all bullshit or are we likely to sign him this week?

I'm expecting line up change. Expecting Hoffman to start as he didn't play, Clisby is unknown as he did cop a knock to the knee, Germano to be the wild card either this match or against WSW.

I thought it was said by JVS that the subbing of Clisby was tactical and not because of an injury?

I'm expecting line up change. Expecting Hoffman to start as he didn't play, Clisby is unknown as he did cop a knock to the knee, Germano to be the wild card either this match or against WSW.

I thought it was said by JVS that the subbing of Clisby was tactical and not because of an injury?

It was reported during the match that the change was due to a knock to the knee. I didn't watch the presser afterwards so you may be right. Or we could be both be right or wrong for that matter :)

I sort of disagree because under Arnold they had a great line up of players, a lot of which are playing overseas or for the NT squad now.

I still think as a list, it was weaker than many others. They overperformed even under Arnie for what they had.

Perhaps they did slightly better than they should have but they did have Ryan, Bojic, Ibini, Sainsbury, Rogic, Mcglinchey amongst other solid Aleague players. To me they seemed like one of the stronger aleague teams.

Tando

Paartalu

Murdocca - Mooy         

I think Safuwan will get the nod over Clisby to be honest.

The question is do we start Williams? He has been poor when starting and been better coming off the bench.

What about this French kid? Is it all bullshit or are we likely to sign him this week?

I think Baharudin did enough for a start. Clisby was also solid. If were sticking with 4 at the back its not unreasonable to think Kisnorbo may make way and play Chapman and Jaliens with Clisby and Baharudin as fb. Add this we have a game on Wednesday.

Baharudin has done well, and wouldnt mind if he plays.  i do find it ironic that we now have for the second half of the season three more than adequate full backs (plus the Hoff) competing two spaces, whereas in the first half of the season we only had the Hoff (who is serviceable at best).

main reason i'd like to see Jailens (and Kisnorbo for that fact) play is the short turnaround.  overall, i dont think either player can back up 2 full games so soon.  we saw that the last time with our older players when we played CCM.

hence, i think that there might greater forces here than to say Baharudin starts against CCM based on form.

Edited by mattyh001