Melbourne Football

Round 19: City v. Adelaide AAMI Park Fri 27th Feb KO 7.40 p.m.

jw1739

Quick turnaround but the weather will be OK for this one. Defence looks settled. Midfield will be weakened unless Melling can recover in time. The problems are upfront, where we haven't scored for three matches. van 't Schip needs to change something there because what we are doing just isn't working.

If mellling isn't fit I'd prefer to see Ramsay go back in than murdocca.

Koren showed that he isn't a winger at all, many times Clisby had ball and looked up to Koren being way to central and either had to pass back to Paartalu or wait for a run towards the corner usually from Mooy, no natural width on the left to our game at all yesterday. So if Ramsay came back (he scored in youth game) at least he stays out wide and drags defender out to him rather than playing a really skewiff 3 up front with 2 centrally.

Koren showed that he isn't a winger at all, many times Clisby had ball and looked up to Koren being way to central and either had to pass back to Paartalu or wait for a run towards the corner usually from Mooy, no natural width on the left to our game at all yesterday. So if Ramsay came back (he scored in youth game) at least he stays out wide and drags defender out to him rather than playing a really skewiff 3 up front with 2 centrally.

Wow Neio. Your actually calling for Ramsay to come back into the starting lineup on the left. Koren out wide wasn't that effective but to suggest Ramsay would have done more has got me puzzled. I hope we can start with same line up again. Adelaide will be more open and will try and play more. I think our back 4 has improved and can handle pressure more. Willo and Kennedy are due for big games and frankly we have got little choice.

• Like 1

Wow Neio. Your actually calling for Ramsay to come back into the starting lineup on the left. Koren out wide wasn't that effective but to suggest Ramsay would have done more has got me puzzled. I hope we can start with same line up again. Adelaide will be more open and will try and play more. I think our back 4 has improved and can handle pressure more. Willo and Kennedy are due for big games and frankly we have got little choice.

If melling doesn't play we have 3 options

1 - straight swap and mass plays

2 Ramsay plays and Koren moves into midfield

3 Hoffman starts at rw move willo across and Koren into midfield

Of those 3 I'm going with moving Koren into his preferred spot in midfield, especially against Adelaide who dominate midfield battles

Nothing against mass he tries hard but teams arnt concerned about him getting the ball

I could be completely wrong but

If melling doesn't play we have 3 options

1 - straight swap and mass plays

2 Ramsay plays and Koren moves into midfield

3 Hoffman starts at rw move willo across and Koren into midfield

Of those 3 I'm going with moving Koren into his preferred spot in midfield, especially against Adelaide who dominate midfield battles

Nothing against mass he tries hard but teams arnt concerned about him getting the ball

I could be completely wrong but

To have ramsey taking anyone's spot is completely wrong.

AU have a similar problem to City - they can't finish. They create lots of opportunities but most of them are wasted. In Djite they could have a good striker but he is not ruthless enough. Mabil does well to get into the box and then fluffs it. Sergio, Cirio and Isaias are inconsistent in front of goals. So I am not convinced that this game is a given to AU.

What troubles me is the lack of imagination that the coaching staff are having with setting up a winning combination with the players at hand. It is in the coaching box that this game will be won/drawn/lost.

I'm assuming Melling will play. If that is the case, the issue is the forward line.

Time to roll the dice. Let's face it, the season has almost but not quite gone. Going conservative as van 't Schip has always done in the past hasn't worked. Don't think it matters whether we start Marino or Kennedy, but both have to be in the squad. Whoever starts goes as long as he can, then the other comes on. If he pulls up short then bring Hoffman on. Yes, Hoffman. Scored a bagful of goals in junior NTs.

So the bench at this stage is Redmayne, Hoffman, and one of Kennedy or Marino.

Keep the starting defence of Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Chapman and Clisby. Add Saffy to the bench to cover for the defence.

Midfield is Paartalu, Melling and Mooy. Starting forwards Williams, Kennedy or Marino, Koren.

Add to the bench Murdocca or Retre for midfield cover.

My logic is that Marino and Retre are on senior contracts. Call them into the office and say, "OK son, you're in. You're playing for your contract." Likewise Williams, Hoffman, Koren and Kennedy need to be told the same thing. "You're playing for your future with Melbourne City."

So my team:

Velaphi;

Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Clisby;

Paartalu, Melling, Mooy;

Williams, Kennedy or Marino, Koren.

Bench: Redmayne, Safuwan, Hoffman, Murdocca or Retre, Marino or Kennedy.

Edited by jw1739

I'm assuming Melling will play. If that is the case, the issue is the forward line.

Time to roll the dice. Let's face it, the season has almost but not quite gone. Going conservative as van 't Schip has always done in the past hasn't worked. Don't think it matters whether we start Marino or Kennedy, but both have to be in the squad. Whoever starts goes as long as he can, then the other comes on. If he pulls up short then bring Hoffman on. Yes, Hoffman. Scored a bagful of goals in junior NTs.

Keep the starting defence of Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Chapman and Clisby. Add Saffy to the bench to cover for the defence.

Midfield is Paartalu, Melling and Mooy. Starting forwards Williams, Kennedy or Marino, Koren.

Add to the bench Murdocca and Retre for midfield cover.

My logic is that Marino and Retre are on senior contracts. Call them into the office and say, "OK son, you're in. You're playing for your contract." Likewise Williams, Hoffman, Koren and Kennedy need to be told the same thing. "You're playing for your future with Melbourne City."

So my team:

Velaphi;

Paartalu, Melling, Mooy;

Bench: Redmayne, Safuwan, Hoffman, Murdocca, Marino or Kennedy.

Same front three will start. Marino just played his first game on Saturday. I reckon same team will start as well, provided melling is ok. If he isn't Murdocca will start.

What is everyone's opinions and thoughts on what formation and attacking players we need to use in this game?

He won't do it, but I think we should play a 4-4diamond-2.

Same defence as yesterday.

Midfield squashed so Paartalu is at the arse, Mooy and Melling/Murdocca in middle and Koren at the pointy end of the diamond feeding the forwards.

Then Kennedy with Willo buzzing at his feet up front.

Just think it suits our current personnel best.

What is everyone's opinions and thoughts on what formation and attacking players we need to use in this game?

Midfield squashed so Paartalu is at the arse, Mooy and Melling/Murdocca in middle and Koren at the pointy end of the diamond feeding the forwards.

Just think it suits our current personnel best. With 2 strikers up front (Williams and Kennedy) Williams does all the running while Kennedy can hold up the ball and play it through to Williams, Koren or Mooy. Since we have shit to none wingers and if Melling is fit my squad would be,

Velaphi

Jaliens Chapman Kisnorbo Clisby

Partaluu

Melling Mooy

Koren

Kennedy Williams

Would like to see this but know it won't happen. JVS will proberly have Ramsay and Murdocca starting in his typical 433

I'm pretty sure I've posted a squad like this for the last 3 games

Edited by haz

So my team:

Velaphi;

Paartalu, Melling, Mooy;

Whoa. I love your work, JW, but can't go along with that. It's quite possible that Kennedy just ran out of puff in conditions that could be 10+ degrees hotter than he'll see for the rest of the year. I would have been all for him being subbed out after 60-odd minutes, but there's no way I'd be advocating him coming off the bench. We've got ten games left. Seven of them are kicking off after 7:30pm. Only one starts before 5pm. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Kennedy is a certainty to start and so he should.

• Like 2

Just think it suits our current personnel best.With 2 strikers up front (Williams and Kennedy) Williams does all the running while Kennedy can hold up the ball and play it through to Williams, Koren or Mooy. Since we have shit to none wingers and if Melling is fit my squad would be,

Velaphi

Jaliens Chapman Kisnorbo Clisby

Partaluu

Melling Mooy

Koren

Kennedy Williams

Would like to see this but know it won't happen. JVS will proberly have Ramsay and Murdocca starting in his typical 433

I'm pretty sure I've posted a squad like this for the last 3 games

lol, me too.... that's exactly what I meant.

So my team:

Velaphi;

Paartalu, Melling, Mooy;

Whoa. I love your work, JW, but can't go along with that. It's quite possible that Kennedy just ran out of puff in conditions that could be 10+ degrees hotter than he'll see for the rest of the year. I would have been all for him being subbed out after 60-odd minutes, but there's no way I'd be advocating him coming off the bench. We've got ten games left. Seven of them are kicking off after 7:30pm. Only one starts before 5pm. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Kennedy is a certainty to start and so he should.

More than happy with your logic. Kennedy to start, Marino to come on when Kennedy knows he's had enough. My main points are that we don't have a strong bench, so we have to use it wisely, and that players need to be told that they're playing for their contracts with Melbourne City. They shouldn't need reminding, but we need to show the hunger that the top sides do.

• Like 2

Love watching the football Adelaide produce. Talented players all over the park, love to pass the ball around and move in cohesion.

Listening to Gombau he stated that WSW clogged up the midfield so made it very difficult for Adelaide to play their natural game.

Paartalu, Mooy and Melling are super important here.

I'd personally pay a 4 2 3 1 this week and clog that midfield. Paartalu and Melling the defensive anchors with Mooy, Koren (CAM) and Williams playing the midfield roles. Need Willo to work hard here. Kennedy will suit this role by holding the ball up.

• Like 1

Love watching the football Adelaide produce. Talented players all over the park, love to pass the ball around and move in cohesion.

Listening to Gombau he stated that WSW clogged up the midfield so made it very difficult for Adelaide to play their natural game.

Paartalu, Mooy and Melling are super important here.

I'd personally pay a 4 2 3 1 this week and clog that midfield. Paartalu and Melling the defensive anchors with Mooy, Koren (CAM) and Williams playing the midfield roles. Need Willo to work hard here. Kennedy will suit this role by holding the ball up.

Melburnian as City coach!

• Like 1

Quick turnaround but the weather will be OK for this one. Defence looks settled. Midfield will be weakened unless Melling can recover in time. The problems are upfront, where we haven't scored for three matches. van 't Schip needs to change something there because what we are doing just isn't working.

I honestly don't think he'll play since it's such a short turnaround before the next game. And he went down, spoke to the physio, and then went off, which isn't a great sign. Hope I'm wrong but I expect the worst.

I honestly don't think he'll play since it's such a short turnaround before the next game. And he went down, spoke to the physio, and then went off, which isn't a great sign. Hope I'm wrong but I expect the worst.

As he walked off the field he went past and so I looked to see any limping but I could not see anything wrong. He didn't seem to be that troubled.

As he walked off the field he went past and so I looked to see any limping but I could not see anything wrong. He didn't seem to be that troubled. He went straight down the race, not a good sign & especially when you think this bloke probably chews glass pre-match just as a psych up. I am assuming the worst

As he walked off the field he went past and so I looked to see any limping but I could not see anything wrong. He didn't seem to be that troubled. He went straight down the race, not a good sign & especially when you think this bloke probably chews glass pre-match just as a psych up. I am assuming the worst

I thought his gait looked a bit uneven as he walked past the bench but I was down the other end. Given the rest of the season I find it hard to be optimistic though.

We will have to play well to beat Adelaide and they certainly won't come for a draw.

Looking at our availability of players I would go for a narrow midfield three in front of Paartalu and have Williams up front with Kennedy. The full backs would then need to push on and create the width.

So my team would be:

Velaphi

Chapman        Kisnorbo           

Jaliens                                                        Clisby

Paartalu

Melling          Mooy           Retre

Williams      Kennedy

Subs: Redmayne, Safuwan, Hoffman, Murdocca, Koren 

I think Koren needs a wake up call and maybe some time to reflect on the bench. Even if Jacob isn't fit then I would play Murdocca ahead of Koren

I thought Retre looked very lively in his short cameo and showed a couple of clever bits of skill.

We need 11 players on the park who will bust a gut to win.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

If Melling is out -

Velaphi

Jaliens      -      Chapman      -      Kisnorbo      -      Clisby

Paartalu

Mooy            -            Koren

Hoffman         -                        -         Williams

Kennedy

Bench: Redmayne, Safuwan, Murdocca, Germano (replaces Melling), Dugandzic/Brown (replaces Retre)

• Like 1

Velaphi

Jaliens Kisnorbo Chapman Clisby

Paartalu Melling

Mooy Koren Williams

Kennedy

As stated before, restricts Adelaide playing their natural midfield game and allows our Koren to play a more natural position.

This system suits the hold up play of Kennedy.

Would of preferred a Duff or Garrucio to Williams in the system with their ability to beat a man and cross the ball but we have what we have and the instructions to Williams would be to run like he has never run before to clog up space on defensive sets whilst providing an outlet when attacking. If he becomes dangerous it allows Koren more space.