Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

Safuwan wanted by J.League's Yokohama F Marinos

Yokohama want to sign versatile star on loan for rest of season

LionsXII defender Safuwan Baharudin could be playing in the J.League as soon as next week. The New Paper understands the 23-year-old has been offered the chance to join top side Yokohama F Marinos on loan for the rest of the season, with a view to a permanent move. 

If he accepts the deal, Safuwan will be the first Singaporean to ply his trade in the J.League. 

He told The New Paper last night: "I'm supposed to give an answer as soon as possible, because I heard the club want me to go over there and join them a few days after Hari Raya (this Friday). "But I've been busy with the LionsXII and now I'm with the Barclays Asia Trophy squad, so I haven't had time to sit down with my family and talk about it.

"I have to see what the agreement is like."

Well a positive is that a stint with us exposed him to the CFG network of teams and now he might have a chance to join the Japanese outfit. If nothing else it shows Asian players that a stint in the A-league with us can open up other doors. Gives us more up and coming talent to pick from. Would have preferred Saf to have joined up tho'

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 2

Don't think this is a CFG pecking order issue at all. IMO it shows that van 't Schip doesn't have the required nous when it comes to selecting players. Whilst I rate Hughes a solid signing as per another thread there's no question I would have chosen Saf instead without having to think about it. But clearly van 't Schip thinks otherwise.

well I'm pissed off at someone. mr CFG, JVS or both those bastards. It hurts seeing him picked up at a sister club.

• Like 1

Japan would be a bigger culture shock for him. He would have to adapt to the language both on and off the pitch, and there's the issue of food and diet as well. Australia has always been the ideal move for him, if it werent for the limited foreigner slots. On the other hand, I think the J.League has a policy of encouraging clubs to sign Southeast Asian players. We'll see. In any case, I'll be delighted if he finally leaves the Malaysian league. 

• Like 4

Japan would be a bigger culture shock for him. He would have to adapt to the language both on and off the pitch, and there's the issue of food and diet as well. Australia has always been the ideal move for him, if it werent for the limited foreigner slots. On the other hand, I think the J.League has a policy of encouraging clubs to sign Southeast Asian players. We'll see. In any case, I'll be delighted if he finally leaves the Malaysian league. 

Aside from the language I don't think that there will be much of a culture shock. And certainly there won't be if he lives in Yokohama as that is a very cosmopolitan city. Yokohama is the only city in the world where you can find Danish, Greek, Indian, Chinese, Malaysian, Mexican, Spanish cuisine cooked well. Indeed an Indian colleague of mine said that if he ignored the language the food was as good as anything you could buy in his native Goa. Customs are very similar between Japan and Singapore - both cultures excel in politeness and humility. And in Yokohama you will always find someone who speaks English :)

I don't think culture will be an issue.

• Like 1

Aside from the language I don't think that there will be much of a culture shock. And certainly there won't be if he lives in Yokohama as that is a very cosmopolitan city. Yokohama is the only city in the world where you can find Danish, Greek, Indian, Chinese, Malaysian, Mexican, Spanish cuisine cooked well. Indeed an Indian colleague of mine said that if he ignored the language the food was as good as anything you could buy in his native Goa. Customs are very similar between Japan and Singapore - both cultures excel in politeness and humility. And in Yokohama you will always find someone who speaks English :)

Danish cuisine? That is such a random food style to choose, and to choose first. 

Not surprised about Goa being cosmopolitan. It's more Portuguese than Indian!

That's good to hear. Just thought that the A-League is still the most ideal. I'll be watching him play in the Barclays Asia Trophy tonight against Arsenal, 8.30pm (GMT +8). 

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Danish cuisine?

I have also worked in Denmark and I can tell you that Danish cuisine consists of pickled herring, great cheeses, lots of pork schnitzels (well not quite but nearly), pickled herrings, pickled tomatoes, pickled herrings, more cheese, did I mention pickles?

There is a reason why no one raves about nordic cuisine...

I have also worked in Denmark and I can tell you that Danish cuisine consists of pickled herring, great cheeses, lots of pork schnitzels (well not quite but nearly), pickled herrings, pickled tomatoes, pickled herrings, more cheese, did I mention pickles?

There is a reason why no one raves about nordic cuisine...

When I was in Denmark pretty much all I ate was, dense dark rye bread, remoulade, dried onions, pickles. Sometimes a combination of those ingredients. Sometimes (usually) all of them at the same time

But back on topic. Looking forward to seeing how Saf gets on tonight

Average performance from Saf I guess, against a second team Arsenal. I'm surprised the Singapore team still tried to play from the back instead of throwing the ball away at any given opportunity. Too bad there weren't many set pieces to utilise Saf. They will be playing again on 18 July, 6pm (GMT+8), against Stoke. 

When I was in Denmark pretty much all I ate was, dense dark rye bread, remoulade, dried onions, pickles. Sometimes a combination of those ingredients. Sometimes (usually) all of them at the same time

But back on topic. Looking forward to seeing how Saf gets on tonight

well there is the restaurant Noma. Which is badass. But other than that I ate a lot of pickled herring and chocolate 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Safuwan wanted by J.League's Yokohama F Marinos

Yokohama want to sign versatile star on loan for rest of season

LionsXII defender Safuwan Baharudin could be playing in the J.League as soon as next week. The New Paper understands the 23-year-old has been offered the chance to join top side Yokohama F Marinos on loan for the rest of the season, with a view to a permanent move. 

If he accepts the deal, Safuwan will be the first Singaporean to ply his trade in the J.League. 

He told The New Paper last night: "I'm supposed to give an answer as soon as possible, because I heard the club want me to go over there and join them a few days after Hari Raya (this Friday). "But I've been busy with the LionsXII and now I'm with the Barclays Asia Trophy squad, so I haven't had time to sit down with my family and talk about it.

"I have to see what the agreement is like."

Can't find any evidence that this deal was done.  The only games Saf seems to be playing is Internationals.  May be heading back to the MSL?  

• 3 weeks later...

Can't find any evidence that this deal was done.  The only games Saf seems to be playing is Internationals.  May be heading back to the MSL?  

Other than this report that Yokohama was interested, there seem to be no other indication of any deal of any kind taking place anymore. Safuwan seems fully focused on helping LionsXII with the Malaysia Cup and Singapore for the WCQs. 

He's also scored quite a few more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWpDeNmB0oI - 0-1 vs JDT II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBC57_k7sE - 1-2 vs JDT II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crrYA0mRnk8 - and 2 goals vs Terengganu. 

Life saver.

Still interested? ;)

• Like 1

I thought he did the job well with the opportunity given to him, but the new signings that City have made just go to show how serious their intent is. Shame to see that Yokohama speculation fizzle out, but best of luck to him and Singapore in the up coming qualifiers. I'm pretty excited to see what they can do after that away job to Japan.

• 1 month later...

There is nothing exciting coming from the Singapore national team these days. Nothing much Safuwan (no.21 jersey) can do when he's surrounded by subpar teammates. Only thing worth mention was his penalty vs Syria and almost scoring against Japan (unfortunately that's an achievement for us). Was also the most influential player vs Cambodia .

He talks about City in one if his recent interviews http://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/features/singapores-reluctant-superstar-softball-football-league-and-beyond?page=0%2C2#:hzCdoF_wX9RPGA

Edited by manandoboy