Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

If we pass Saf over after everything he's done for us and he goes to any other A-League club I shall be so completely pissed-off with van 't Schip and the rest of our football department. To think of some of the donkeys we've had wearing our colours and yet we may let this guy slip away...

I think one of the biggest things about him as a potential visa is that we know he'd be coming here with a better attitude than the vast majority of foreign players: he'd come in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove (still), not strutting around like he's too good for the league.

Plus, who knows what will happen with the visa rules in the short-medium term? If we sign him up, perhaps he won't be a visa for that long. Relaxing the rules on visa eligibility for Asian players would seem like a very good way to improve the standard of the league, from where I'm sitting.

• Like 3

I'm very torn over re-signing Safuwan.

It's rather hard to argue against the argument that a Visa player should be an obvious starter. And I wouldn't say that Safuwan would be an obvious starter over Kisnorbo and Chapman next season.

We don't know much about who type of players the club is targeting, but JVS reportedly said several weeks ago "we are looking for a left-footed central defender

", and Safuwan is right-footed (http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/van-t-schip-verder-zonder-landgenoten-wielaert-en-jaliens.htm). Also I agree that the club might be looking for a player who can succeed Kisnorbo after next season (Kisnorbo is left-footed), and therefore the defender would probably need experience to complement a young defender like Chapman.

However, a strong argument for re-signing Safuwan could be that an inexpensive Visa signing like him would balance out our more expensive salary cap signings like Mooy and Franjic. Also if we didn't spend much on defence, that would allow us to spend good money on a quality striker. Perhaps this season a real value-for-money signing like Safuwan, and perhaps also Germano, are necessary to help the club sign the new quality salary cap players, and have depth in all areas, regardless of whether Safuwan is a regular starter or not.

So IMO the re-signing of Safuwan depends on what recruitment the club does. If the club signs an expensive salary cap striker, then Safuwan would be a pretty good re-signing IMO. But otherwise the Visa spot might be better used on signing a Visa LB who can start every match.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I'm very torn over re-signing Safuwan.

It's rather hard to argue against the argument that a Visa player should be an obvious starter. And I wouldn't say that Safuwan would be an obvious starter over Kisnorbo and Chapman next season.

We don't know much about who type of players the club is targeting, but JVS reportedly said several weeks ago "we are looking for a left-footed central defender

", and Safuwan is right-footed (http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/van-t-schip-verder-zonder-landgenoten-wielaert-en-jaliens.htm). Also I agree that the club might be looking for a player who can succeed Kisnorbo after next season (Kisnorbo is left-footed), and therefore the defender would probably need experience to complement a young defender like Chapman.

However, a strong argument for re-signing Safuwan could be that an inexpensive Visa signing like him would balance out our more expensive salary cap signings like Mooy and Franjic. Also if we didn't spend much on defence, that would allow us to spend good money on a quality striker. Perhaps this season a real value-for-money signing like Safuwan, and perhaps also Germano, are necessary to help the club sign the new quality salary cap players, and have depth in all areas, regardless of whether Safuwan is a regular starter or not.

So IMO the re-signing of Safuwan depends on what recruitment the club does. If the club signs an expensive salary cap striker, then Safuwan would be a pretty good re-signing IMO. But otherwise the Visa spot might be better used on signing a Visa LB who can start every match.

Murfy, I believe that Safuwan should be signed. He would cover a couple of places in defence that would cater for injuries and suspensions.

However, more importantly I believe he is good enough to challenge Chapman and Kisnorbo.

He has great aerial ability and that is something that most A League players lack.

Would like to see him get another crack at the A-League and would be a good pickup for a few teams, but not for us. I'd like us to aim higher with out visa spots, and I still think he is a walking red card.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him up later in the off season. Will be a decent cheap pick up that can make room for more expensive visa signings elsewhere. No point handicapping our recruitment early on by filling the visa spot when there still may be better options out there though. Safuwan is a known quantity that we can sign at any stage. 

I think we need to sign another experienced centre back with one of the visa spots though. Having Clisby and Chapman starting cb's if kisnorbo gets injured doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

Its disappointing that we view this guy as a cheap signing, given the spuds who have been signed on $ several hundred K, and didn't, or still haven't shown the same commitment, nor ability.  A centre back that scores goals, that can play in the midfield or at LB or RB.  What is there to think about?

• Like 2

There is no doubt that he has talent enough to make it in the A-League, and I would love it if he was signed.  I have a feeling that there may be something behind the scenes, perhaps its a mentality concern or a team fit issue, which has precluded the club from resigning him ...  there was that mysterious back injury and then mixed messages coming from the player himself 

There is no doubt that he has talent enough to make it in the A-League, and I would love it if he was signed.  I have a feeling that there may be something behind the scenes, perhaps its a mentality concern or a team fit issue, which has precluded the club from resigning him ...  there was that mysterious back injury and then mixed messages coming from the player himself

The way Patty spoke about him recently would suggest he fitted in alright and his Instagram would suggest he liked the lifestyle here. I would say it would have a lot more to do with his current club than anything else.

Its disappointing that we view this guy as a cheap signing, given the spuds who have been signed on $ several hundred K, and didn't, or still haven't shown the same commitment, nor ability.  A centre back that scores goals, that can play in the midfield or at LB or RB.  What is there to think about?

That there are a lot better footballers available for a little bit more money and that we should explore those options before jumping to sign him on the cheap to save cap space? A few aussies out there that could fill his boots without the visa spot as well.

Saf scored the winning goal last night for his club. Scoring a header from the back post area, it's almost getting old... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZeXG4TYn0o @ 1:13 mark

did this equalizer too, last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrzkQsBbOwU @ 0:34 mark. No idea how. 

He's now into 3 goals in 5 games for club after returning from Melbourne (excluding Cup appearances and the 2 goals for national side). Playing in centre midfield though...

Edited by manandoboy
  • Like 1

name them.

Can't remember the exact list of players available at the moment but from memory as a back up across the backline Id be just as happy with Zac Anderson, Taylor Regan or Madaschi. A few others like Brindell South got potential as well.

Can't remember the exact list of players available at the moment but from memory as a back up across the backline Id be just as happy with Zac Anderson, Taylor Regan or Madaschi. A few others like Brindell South got potential as well.

Madaschi? Give me a break! Not fit to polish Saf's boots.

Seriously? Look like NPL players to me. Madaschi looked finished last year and The other 2 were never any good. brindell old mate? Don't know him. 

Those guys could clean Saf's boots I suppose. 

Saf is a central defender who is versatile enough to also play as a left or right back & scores goals & is good enough to start in the A League. I can't think of one available comparable Australian player.

• Like 4

Safuwan wanted by J.League's Yokohama F Marinos

Yokohama want to sign versatile star on loan for rest of season

LionsXII defender Safuwan Baharudin could be playing in the J.League as soon as next week. The New Paper understands the 23-year-old has been offered the chance to join top side Yokohama F Marinos on loan for the rest of the season, with a view to a permanent move. 

If he accepts the deal, Safuwan will be the first Singaporean to ply his trade in the J.League. 

He told The New Paper last night: "I'm supposed to give an answer as soon as possible, because I heard the club want me to go over there and join them a few days after Hari Raya (this Friday). "But I've been busy with the LionsXII and now I'm with the Barclays Asia Trophy squad, so I haven't had time to sit down with my family and talk about it.

"I have to see what the agreement is like."

• Like 2

So at least that answers any questions about whether we were 3rd or 4th in the CFG pecking order. Yokohama got any old guys they want to pension off?

Don't think this is a CFG pecking order issue at all. IMO it shows that van 't Schip doesn't have the required nous when it comes to selecting players. Whilst I rate Hughes a solid signing as per another thread there's no question I would have chosen Saf instead without having to think about it. But clearly van 't Schip thinks otherwise.

• Like 1