Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

I think this is some legal technicality within his Lions 11 contract in releasing him now. I reckon he will be signed once the season is done. He is a walk in starting 11 player. So its either that, or this is an indication of the level of the turnover of players we are going to have in the off season.

I think this is some legal technicality within his Lions 11 contract in releasing him now. I reckon he will be signed once the season is done. He is a walk in starting 11 player. So its either that, or this is an indication of the level of the turnover of players we are going to have in the off season.

Hopefully it is an indication of the level of ruthlessness we are going to have when it comes to the future contribution of players and deciding whether to keep them.

• Like 2

Hope Saf makes a full recovery, but I am still not convinced he would have been a good signing, surely there are better visa players out there, do we have a scouting system in place. ????

Of course there are better visa players out there.

The issue is they have to be prepared to accept a low salary - that's the only way to fit players into FFA's quality lowering, crowd lowering and TV ratings lowering shit low salary cap.

Outcome for the lad very disappointing. The way it was communicated much better.

Ultimately the actual decision is the right one.

Hopefully this is the way the club will go about operations from now on and it's not just due to Baharudins exposure and potential backlash if this was handled poorly.

I think he would've been a great signing. But can you blame the club? I'm guessing they do not want to make the same mistake of signing injured or injury prone players. I still think they will keep tabs on him and who knows, he might be back.

Hopefully this is what comes to pass. He goes home, gets right and then we sign him. In any case I wish him well.

If they don't kill all of the deadwood at the end of the season after releasing Safuwan, I will be highly disappointed.

I wonder whether this means that Germano is cooked once the season concludes also...

If he gets another major injury before the start of next season then I would say defiantly yes

I am not sure if people have seen his Instagram, but he seems pretty confident of coming back. Perhaps some deal with the club not disclosed to the public?

Anyway, as a Singaporean, i hope he rejoins the club.

I think most of us here wanted it to be permenant but we can't afford an injury prone visa player. If it's over we're happy for what he gave us and if he comes back full time I'll be happy.

I must admit, I was surprise to read that the club had released him. Not really shocked, I though he did well for us and popped up with a couple of goals... But goes to show that this standard of player is no longer good enough.

Going forward our Visa players are going to be of a much higher caliber ...

Safuwan: I learnt a lot at Melbourne City

"I am disappointed that my injury has forced me to end my stint with Melbourne City," he said.

"But injuries are part and parcel of a footballer's life. My focus now is on getting treatment for the injury, and making a full recovery."

"I had a memorable time at Melbourne City and I learnt a lot about what it takes to be a professional player. These are lessons I will never forget," he said.

"I wish to thank everyone at the club for making me feel at home. In particular, I want to thank Coach John van't Schip for giving me the first-team opportunities, and for all that I have learnt there. 

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/sg/news/safuwan-i-learnt-lot-melbourne-city#eFTXYYtR8T8DzPzU.99

Edited by manandoboy

If he doesn't get signed by us at the end of the season, surely another HAL club will snap him up, right?

I think that it will depend on his recuperation from injury. All clubs will be looking as to how he is faring but will hold back until they are certain that he has well and truly overcome his injury.

Not too sure what is going on, but he's in line to start for his current club tonight.

http://www.espnfcasia.com/blog/football-asia/153/post/2428328/safuwan-in-line-for-shock-malaysia-super-league-start

We'll see if he actually plays. If so, my expectations of whom ever replaces Safuwan are going to be very high. It really does smell like another stuff up.

• Like 1

So we released him and now he is playing?

I smell another Melbourne City stuff up.

I'd expect a Singaporean team may be slightly better but Malaysian league teams don't generally have player welfare at the top of their priorities. Just because he is playing doesn't mean he is fit to do so.

• Like 1

Am I the only one on this forum who thinks this guy is just a tad overrated? 

I mean, maybe it has something to do with the fact that he wasn't completely terrible like 90% of our defenders throughout the club's history but I don't particularly think he's irreplaceable...

• Like 3

I mean, maybe it has something to do with the fact that he wasn't completely terrible like 90% of our defenders throughout the club's history but I don't particularly think he's irreplaceable...

Defintely not overrated amongst shit kickers.

Did not feature for his club tonight, contrary to what earlier reports might have suggested. It's been fun following Saf's mini adventure in the HAL. I'm glad there were at least some moments to remember fondly. Though his stint is over, I will still be following Melbourne City as my adopted HAL club. Cheers!

Good for you. But you've just entered the hotel California.

• Like 2

No, I don't think he is overrated. Reads the play well, versatile defender and I'd say could also do well in a midfield role. Good pair of heels on him too coming forward for set-pieces in the penalty box. And demonstrably proud to pull on the shirt, as already mentioned above.

Over the seasons there's been enough talk on here about the necessity to have some lower-paid squad players to balance those on higher pay and therefore stay within the salary cap. Looking at our squad I'd have said that Safuwan was exactly the sort of squad player we need rather than some of the spuds there who IMO have more than outstayed their welcome.

Of course we don't know the full details of what has gone on, but prima facie it looks as though we've released him rather too readily.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...