Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

Don't think anybody needs to worry. There is about a 0% chance we're gonna let this kid go. He's obviously very talented and has quickly adapted to the league, so he is a good player to have. But the biggest thing is that CFG are not going to pass up the opportunity that this kid presents. He is basically showcasing the City brand to a market of millions in South-East Asia on his own. Have you noticed that at the end of every Facebook post about him the club includes a link to his personalised jersey in the store? They don't do this for any of the other players. The kid is essentially here to sell shirts, and the fact that he's actually a good player is a major bonus. Even if JD was stupid enough to let him go there is no way that CFG would allow it.

• Like 2

Don't think anybody needs to worry. There is about a 0% chance we're gonna let this kid go. He's obviously very talented and has quickly adapted to the league, so he is a good player to have. But the biggest thing is that CFG are not going to pass up the opportunity that this kid presents. He is basically showcasing the City brand to a market of millions in South-East Asia on his own. Have you noticed that at the end of every Facebook post about him the club includes a link to his personalised jersey in the store? They don't do this for any of the other players. The kid is essentially here to sell shirts, and the fact that he's actually a good player is a major bonus. Even if JD was stupid enough to let him go there is no way that CFG would allow it.

So essentially what your saying that his signing is idiot proof.Like it ! Even If we could we can't stuff this one up.

Safuwan returns to Singapore to play in two friendlies

Mar 19, 2015

Safuwan Baharudin is still "surprised" by the two goals he scored for Melbourne City in the A-League. 

Since his debut against derby rivals Melbourne Victory on Feb 7, Safuwan has made the starting XI of his new club five times, yielding two goals.

The first came when City defeated Adelaide United 3-1 on Feb 27 before their March 11 tie against Western Sydney Wanderers. City eventually lost 2-3 to Western Sydney.

Safuwan is now back in Singapore to play in two friendlies with the Lions. 

Amazing opportunities

"I was surprised (with the two goals) because before I joined, I thought it would be hard to score in the A-League," the 23-year-old told Berita Harian, in a report published today (March 19). 

"Even more so because I'm a defender. My opportunities usually come through set-pieces ... with players who are well-built, and who play well in the air, you have to be fast in converting opportunities, and that's what I try to do.

"The opportunities so far have been amazing, but my focus is to keep making the top 11 more often.

"At the same time, there's a lot for me to learn during training sessions and from my teammates here."

He'll be part of the national squad facing Thailand in Korat on March 26 and Guam at Jalan Besar Stadium on March 31. 

Extended deal?

His national team duties means he will miss two A-League matches - an away game with Sydney FC on Friday and a home game with Brisbane Roar next Saturday (March 28).

Safuwan will only return to City for their game with Western Sydney Wanderers on April 3 - one of the last four matches before the A-League 'finals', which will also mark the end of his three-month loan to the Australian club. 

That is, of course, unless he gets an offer to extend his contract there.

Safuwan, however, does not want to think too much about his future in Australia. 

He said: "God willing, I hope I get to stay longer in Australia but I prefer to go day by day as my future (with Melbourne City) is still uncertain."

http://www.tnp.sg/sports/singapore-soccer/safuwan-returns-singapore-play-two-friendlies

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Would eventually like to see him given a go at CB with Chapman. I reckon they'd be an awesome combo. Then we could leave Kisnorbo or Jailens on the bench as back up for if they start performing poorly.

2 inexperienced CBs is not a great idea. Depends on opposition though.

I agree but i'd still likw it to be trailed for one game to see how it goes. ATM i's have Jailens over Kisnorbo at our CB's

Singapore star's A-League exploits a hit back home

Wednesday, 25 March 2015 

John Duerden

Much of the talk among football fans in the city state is whether Safuwan Baharudin is going to earn an extension on his three month loan deal at Melbourne City FC, or a permanent move.

The defender's every move has been followed closely. One editor of a respected publication said that putting the 23 year-old's adventures down under in a headline provide a great source of clicks. 

As well as the written press, there has been plenty of interest on television too. Melbourne's game have been broadcast live on Star Hub.

At the city's buzzing Clarke's Quay these days, you don't have to watch the world go by as you sink a cold beer, you can watch the Hyundai A-League.

It has been a success in other areas, especially where it matters – on the pitch. 

It's still early days but in five games in the A-League, the versatile Singaporean has two goals, a regular place in the starting line-up and plenty of acclaim.

When the national team coach Bernd Stange (who will be well known to Perth Gllory fans) announced his squad, Safuwan was was the one in the headlines. That wasn't the case before the Melbourne move.

Not only that, there have been questions as to whether being called up may harm his Hyundai A-League chances. 

There is genuine pride in his exploits and the former Lions XII star has provided some sunshine to his country's football scene in the early months of 2015. His is a feelgood story after a disappointing AFF Suzuki Cup in November.

This biennial regional tournament is a very big deal and Singapore headed into the 2014 version as defending champion. Consequently, losing the final group game to bitter rivals Malaysia was bad enough but the manner of defeat was especially painful.

Singapore, playing at home, needed just a draw to progress to the semi-finals. It was not looking good when Safee Sali put Malaysia ahead. The relief could be felt all around the National Stadium when they equalised but Malaysia scored two very late goals to win 3-1. 

It was a big blow for fans but Safuwan's exploits helped take minds off regional woes.

No Singapore international has really made an impact outside the ASEAN zone. That is the hope at home and the rest of southeast Asia where Safuwan's adventures are also followed.

"It's a higher level here [in the A-League] and at times - when I'm not playing in my regular centre-back position - I've been afraid of making mistakes,” he told The New Paper earlier this month. 

“I've played in four positions now - at centre-back, left-back, right-back and defensive midfield - and I hope that I've shown that Asian players can do well here."

They already have but not in large numbers. Thailand's Sutee Suksomkit signed for Melbourne Victory in 2009 but it was Surat Sukha, similarly versatile to Safuwan, who really impressed at the same club. 

The left-back is not in the Thai team that will take on Singapore on Thursday. Now 32, he is a little old for the new youthful version of the War Elephants that impressed when winning the AFF Suzuki Cup, south-east Asia's biennial regional tournament in December.

He does, however, still play for Buriram United, the top club in Thailand and these days, the whole of south-east Asia. The north-eastern club reached the quarter-final of the 2013 Asian Champions League and is currently top of its group of the 2015 edition at the halfway stage.

A look at the Thailand Premier League and the national team shows that there is plenty of talent in the region but for Singapore it is about putting the disappointment of November behind it. 

If Safuwan can help in that, then so much the better but what fans at home really want is a permanent contract at Melbourne City. 

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/singapore-stars-a-league-exploits-a-hit-back-home/1xjq7ank57ix718e0uujzo2w3h

• Like 1

Im in singapore at the minute not seen any melbourne City shirts yet , poor opportunity missed by marketing IMHO

If he signs a permanent deal with us, that's when I expect the club would ramp up the marketing/merchandise in the Singapore market..

It will ease the process when the CFG relocate us to Singapore.

• Like 2

Im in singapore at the minute not seen any melbourne City shirts yet , poor opportunity missed by marketing IMHO

If he signs a permanent deal with us, that's when I expect the club would ramp up the marketing/merchandise in the Singapore market..

It will ease the process when the CFG relocate us to Singapore.

All of our games are live on one of their channels. Getting some good publicity over there in the media.

Looks like he's back and trained today going by his instagram.

If we are going to be a force in the finals we'll need this bloke on the paddock. 

I love his defensive positioning.  Rarely seems to be caught out- pretty much in the right spot every time shutting blokes down, winning headers, making tackles and to top it off he's a threat at set pieces.  

• Like 2

The great Singaporean marketing Tool, Saf is back in training, so no doubt he will walk into the team, I am still holding judgement on him As Ive said before having watched his games take away his 2 goals hes very ordinary, want to see him play his natural position ,we should not alter a solid defence just to accomodate him.

The great Singaporean marketing Tool, Saf is back in training, so no doubt he will walk into the team, I am still holding judgement on him As Ive said before having watched his games take away his 2 goals hes very ordinary, want to see him play his natural position ,we should not alter a solid defence just to accomodate him.

FWIW going by the stats posted up a couple of days ago, he's on par with Clisby for distribution but has fashioned 2 more chances, and 2 more goals.

• Like 1

The defence have done well, but Saf improves it. I like Clisby and believe Retre has done a decent job, but Saf is better than both!