Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

33 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

No. He's just gone downhill since he left us. We're pretty well off in the midfield, but not strong in the defence or up front. and I don't think we should be chasing him.

The thing that confuses me about the Jamie Young signing is that the bloke is seemingly getting worse with playing the ball out as he ages, given we're unlikely to have the control we enjoyed over the past few seasons due to player turnover, I'm genuinely curious to see if we're still going to play it around at the back the same way.

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

The thing that confuses me about the Jamie Young signing is that the bloke is seemingly getting worse with playing the ball out as he ages, given we're unlikely to have the control we enjoyed over the past few seasons due to player turnover, I'm genuinely curious to see if we're still going to play it around at the back the same way.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's a stop-gap signing, and could well find himself on the bench if Beach delivers. On what I've seen Young plays out quickly, often rolling the ball out to the full-back and maintaining possession. Glover's kicking was almost a certain turnover. I don't see that we've taken a step backwards, just buying time while the two young lads mature. I may be reading too much into it, but I get an impression that maybe Young will stay on in some sort of coaching role.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that he's a stop-gap signing, and could well find himself on the bench if Beach delivers. On what I've seen Young plays out quickly, often rolling the ball out to the full-back and maintaining possession. Glover's kicking was almost a certain turnover. I don't see that we've taken a step backwards, just buying time while the two young lads mature. I may be reading too much into it, but I get an impression that maybe Young will stay on in some sort of coaching role.

One thing Young does much better than Glover is come out at corners and negate them. That I feel was a major course of goals against us. Saying that I haven't looked at the stats but it just seems that was a source of goals against us.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

One thing Young does much better than Glover is come out at corners and negate them. That I feel was a major course of goals against us. Saying that I haven't looked at the stats but it just seems that was a source of goals against us.

IMO another cause of that was a lack of height at the back, and if Souprayen is a reality rather than a rumour I'd say that's why we are signing him.Ā I have always thought that the best aspect of Young's keeping is his positioning.Ā 

On 01/07/2023 at 7:27 PM, CityBoyz said:

LB - Behich who wants to leave Dundee or Gersbach

CB - Sainsbury or visa CBĀ 

Midfielder - Visa

Winger Visa Ā 

Please not Gersbach, he's such a limited player and that's why he never even made the first team in Iceland, Galloway is twice the player and is good with both feet. I wouldn't mind bringing back Behich though, his Dundee had a torrid time, but I'm sure he would be good for another year.

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

But then he went on to play for Grenoble Foot 38 in Ligue 2 and became their main left back

He only started for Colorado Rapids 3 times last season loosing all three games with a 6.1 rating.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/246375/Show/Alex-Gersbach

I just don't like one footed players tbh, he only has a right leg because he needs to stand on it to kick the ball, it also wouldn't suit our way of playing as our FB are expected to come inside at times.Ā I'd be very disappointed unless we thought we could make him a CB.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not overly impressive recruiting so far except for Arslan and perhaps Lopane.Ā No defenders and no forwards so far.

It is a long off-season signings will come, a lot of the fanbase are being reactionary imo, Antonis is a depth signing, the club would no way bring him in as a Berisha or VDV replacementĀ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Terry Antonis has been confirmed by club

I honestly can't remember him playing

Ā 

Just now, Zanty said:

It is a long off-season signings will come, a lot of the fanbase are being reactionary imo, Antonis is a depth signing, the club would no way bring him in as a Berisha or VDV replacementĀ 

I mean Suwon Bluewings bought him so he can't be that bad, he may come good and as a squadie from last seasons WSW isn't a bad pick up.

9 minutes ago, moops said:

I honestly can't remember him playing

Ā 

I mean Suwon Bluewings bought him so he can't be that bad, he may come good and as a squadie from last seasons WSW isn't a bad pick up.

Couldnā€™t make the WSW bench for most of his tenure was in their NPL sideĀ 

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I think he fell out with Rudan.

How many rosterĀ spots are left? I donā€™t think thereā€™s much more to come.

Have around 17-18 contracted players. Should still be signing a CB, LB, AM, Winger

also no word yet on Hall and Florin who are out of contractĀ 

14 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Have around 17-18 contracted players. Should still be signing a CB, LB, AM, Winger

...or Caputo and any further Scholarship players being promoted to the seniors.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

There are 18 contracted players according to my records.

6 hours ago, citypool said:

These signings suck nobody wants to see these washed up playersĀ 

Bit rough.Ā 

The way I see it and you don't have to agree but...

Jamie Young was pretty much the best A-league keeper available and is not washed up.

Ugarkovic pretty much the same boat as Young. Not quite at O'neils level but should hold his own in the CDM role.

Arslan is coming straight from Serie A and featured in pretty much every game last season and looks like a solid signing.Ā 

Antonis I would imagine is on a cheap contract and is hopefully going to be the main bench midfielder. Likely replacing the much older Berenguer as it seems unlikely we will retain him at this stage.Ā 

The young trio are all unkown talents presently.Ā 

Still believe we will add some more starting 11 players to the squad. Hopefully another 3 good qualityĀ visa signings to come!

• Like 4

My take on the new signings is that, aside from the import, they are a little uninspiring. Antonis, Ugagovic and Young are solid aleague players but nothing more. The three youngsters are still to prove themselves.

That doesn't mean they're horrible though. They offer depth with good other signings. Fingers crossed we have a few top talents coming through.

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Bit rough.Ā 

Jamie Young was pretty much the best A-league keeper available and is not washed up.

Ugarkovic pretty much the same boat as Young. Not quite at O'neils level but should hold his own in the CDM role.

Arslan is coming straight from Serie A and featured in pretty much every game last season and looks like a solid signing.Ā 

Antonis I would imagine is on a cheap contract and is hopefully going to be the main bench midfielder. Likely replacing the much older Berenguer as it seems unlikely we will retain him at this stage.Ā 

Still believe we will add some more starting 11 players to the squad. Hopefully another 3 good qualityĀ visa signings to come!

It's certainly going to be a totally different City, there's no way to predict how we will go, but overall I'm happy with what has happened so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Bit rough.Ā 

Look I know I come off a bit disillusional

But I can't get excited about journeymanĀ 

Young is a Brisbane legend he means nothing to usĀ 

Antonis and uga played at victory and westernĀ 

These aren't the signings that will increase our fanbaseĀ 

I really want players we can feel proud ofĀ 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, citypool said:

Look I know I come off a bit disillusional

But I can't get excited about journeymanĀ 

Young is a Brisbane legend he means nothing to usĀ 

Antonis and uga played at victory and westernĀ 

These aren't the signings that will increase our fanbaseĀ 

I really want players we can feel proud ofĀ 

Young has been the best keeper in the league for years, leads from the back and seems to like metel music, pretty happy tbh.

Antonis had a falling out, but has been at some good clubs so he has talent, maybe we can rekindle some passion again and have him firing. Probably cheap and a 50/50 gamble as to what we will get, but if it goes well it will be a great signing.

Ugarkovic is not a bad pick up, we could do a lot worse, he had a purple patch with the jets that year Riley was thereĀ and has kind of dropped off a bit, hopefully he can perform for us, our system of play probably suits him. At 28 there's probably not much growth there, he is the finished product.

I'm pretty happy with the foreign signings, don't know much about them, but on paper they seem to be great gets.

4 minutes ago, moops said:

I'd still like us to sign Angus Thurgate, at 23 he was the Jets best player by far, he lead their key passes and chances created stats I heard whilst being defensively sound and is out of contract in a couple of weeks, so far I haven't heard of him signing a new contract.

His at western unitedĀ