Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. And with the League in the parlous financial state it's in,  clubs need to be prudent on expenditure wherever they can, and would the standard of football and entertainment have been significantly worse if we had played Ramy instead of Berenguer (for example) for those two seasons? I think not.

Come on are you seriously suggesting Ramy would have been more effective (entertaining) than Berenguer over 2 seasons.

Now FWIW I think Najjarine may become a decent A League player but for his limited appearances so far he hasn't yet demanded a spot. 

But before people forget, Berenguer for a period was our best player and in the top few players for the League, and as a visa import for me was a success. As a marquee absolutely under what we should be aspiring. 

But ultimately Najjarine has probably been pushed back now by Nabbout. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Come on are you seriously suggesting Ramy would have been more effective (entertaining) than Berenguer over 2 seasons.

Now FWIW I think Najjarine may become a decent A League player but for his limited appearances so far he hasn't yet demanded a spot. 

But before people forget, Berenguer for a period was our best player and in the top few players for the League, and as a visa import for me was a success. As a marquee absolutely under what we should be aspiring. 

But ultimately Najjarine has probably been pushed back now by Nabbout. 

In his first season Berenguer was absolute shit.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In his first season Berenguer was absolute shit.

Agree, but not many excelled under Joyce.

I still think he (Berenguer) is one of those players that needs everything just right to perform at his best.  And his best was great, but his first season was complete dog shit. 

Real question is Najjarine, and for me he needs minutes to prove himself but unfortunately it's not going to be with us.

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree, but not many excelled under Joyce.

I still think he (Berenguer) is one of those players that needs everything just right to perform at his best.  And his best was great, but his first season was complete dog shit. 

Real question is Najjarine, and for me he needs minutes to prove himself but unfortunately it's not going to be with us.

To be honest Berenguer played only 3 good games this season, vanished and looked disinterested in many others.  3 good goals, a backheel against Victory and left all the dirty defensive work over to Brillante and Luna. You don’t think Ramy would have had the same output purely looking at the results - with the same amount of game time? I wouldn’t put money on it.

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

To be honest Berenguer played only 3 good games this season, vanished and looked disinterested in many others.  3 good goals, a backheel against Victory and left all the dirty defensive work over to Brillante and Luna. You don’t think Ramy would have had the same output purely looking at the results - with the same amount of game time? I wouldn’t put money on it.

Yeah, Nah.

Brillante role is essentially the "dirty work", playing that pivot #6 in a 3 and Luna more as the 8 and Berenguer was the 10.

And absolutely I don't think Ramy would have had the same output, he essentially was kept out by Wales so comparing Ramy and Berenguer on potential output is a mute point. 

The ultimate question is wether Najjarine should play more minutes and for me so far he hasn't deserved it. He finished the season way behind Metcalfe and also behind Moudi and I would even put Colakovski ahead of him based on potential. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Yeah, Nah.

Brillante role is essentially the "dirty work", playing that pivot #6 in a 3 and Luna more as the 8 and Berenguer was the 10.

And absolutely I don't think Ramy would have had the same output, he essentially was kept out by Wales so comparing Ramy and Berenguer on potential output is a mute point. 

The ultimate question is wether Najjarine should play more minutes and for me so far he hasn't deserved it. He finished the season way behind Metcalfe and also behind Moudi and I would even put Colakovski ahead of him based on potential. 

I think the kid's confidence has also copped a hit. Ever since the infamous "he is better than me" from Arzani himself and luke Bratten' s "i think he is better than Arzani" comments, ramy has never been on a platform to be his own player. constant comparisons just never helped.

IMO a loan to one of these OS clubs as mentioned in the media or U23 loan to lower A league club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Yeah, Nah.

You must have missed my point relating to the output of 3 odd goals and a back heel. I agree on your other points.

Off the topic regarding the system, I don’t think we don’t play with a traditonal 8 and10. I still believe people are deceived in thinking this, because how different Luna and Berenguer execute it. They are both equal with Luna having a bigger engine to press people think his role different.

Just like at Man City I believe we play with two forward inward midfielders, one the left and one on the right side (DeBruyne and Foden) with both the aim of making runs forward on their side of the pitch in available space. Luna always on right and Berenguer on the left. With Berenguer going to the right when Metcalf starts. You must have noticed that when attacking they mostly show up at their respective side of the box.

Edited by Mr MO

Well, I just don't know about all this. City has/had Najjarine, Metcalfe, Genreau, Glover and now O'Neill in the Olyroos. Najjarine has 7 appearance and 3 goals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_national_under-23_soccer_team#2020_AFC_U23_Championship

Genreau we've let go to Macarthur, and now it looks as though we're prepared to let Najjarine go.

Doesn't make sense to me.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, I just don't know about all this. City has/had Najjarine, Metcalfe, Genreau, Glover and now O'Neill in the Olyroos. Najjarine has 7 appearance and 3 goals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_national_under-23_soccer_team#2020_AFC_U23_Championship

Genreau we've let go to Macarthur, and now it looks as though we're prepared to let Najjarine go.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Do you think on the evidence shown that Najjarine is worth better than minimum wage, esp in the post-COVID reduced cap environment? Especially given that he's pretty much 5th/6th choice now i don't know how justifiable it is to pay more than that for him.
Now if he gets a better offer elsewhere, or wants to head off in search of more game time then good luck to him, but i don't think we need to waste what is increasingly valuable cap space on a player that is looking less and less likely to get a game.
In saying that, if hes happy to stay on that minimum deal then i'd be happy to keep him on for another year, but it certainly looks as though there's better offers out there.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Do you think on the evidence shown that Najjarine is worth better than minimum wage, esp in the post-COVID reduced cap environment? Especially given that he's pretty much 5th/6th choice now i don't know how justifiable it is to pay more than that for him.
Now if he gets a better offer elsewhere, or wants to head off in search of more game time then good luck to him, but i don't think we need to waste what is increasingly valuable cap space on a player that is looking less and less likely to get a game.
In saying that, if hes happy to stay on that minimum deal then i'd be happy to keep him on for another year, but it certainly looks as though there's better offers out there.

That’s it. Remember we need cut back to 20 odd players it makes perfect sense to me to give younger players who won’t be playing in the strongest match squad a loan spell somewhere else.

Edited by Mr MO

31 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Mate, I'm completely out of my depth when it comes to wages. Has the CBA been agreed? Has the reduced cap been agreed? Obviously City have made acceptable offers to the players who have extended their contracts. Ramy is under contract for one more year so I can't see why he would not continue for another season albeit on a reduced wage. As you say, it's up to him.

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That’s it. Remember we need cut back to 20 odd players it makes perfect sense to me to give younger players who won’t be playing in the strongest match squad a loan spell somewhere else.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Mate, I'm completely out of my depth when it comes to wages. Has the CBA been agreed? Has the reduced cap been agreed? Obviously City have made acceptable offers to the players who have extended their contracts. Ramy is under contract for one more year so I can't see why he would not continue for another season albeit on a reduced wage. As you say, it's up to him.

A loan is probably a waste of time unless we were to extend his contract, because if he goes well he's effectively out of contract and a free agent and you've bumped his price up without seeing the benefit. Is he worth extending, not sure, massive punt on what he's shown to date imo.
I'd suggest the state of play is that he's contracted but if he tells us he wants to move on then we won't stand in his way. Still no transfer system in place as yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

A loan is probably a waste of time unless we were to extend his contract, because if he goes well he's effectively out of contract and a free agent and you've bumped his price up without seeing the benefit. Is he worth extending, not sure, massive punt on what he's shown to date imo.
I'd suggest the state of play is that he's contracted but if he tells us he wants to move on then we won't stand in his way. Still no transfer system in place as yet.

watch this space i guess 

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think people underestimate the defensive running Berenguer did. Sure it wasn't as hectic as Luna, but it was a lot more than people give him credit for.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

This.

I’m sure he can shine again now that the league has weakened! I see the benefit of keeping him on a lower package, so support the club on this - knows the league and system now.

What you think BT are we getting another marquee player?

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’m sure he can shine again now that the league has weakened! I see the benefit of keeping him on a lower package, so support the club on this - knows the league and system now.

What you think BT are we getting another marquee player?

I think its a possibility but im not particularly optimistic we will. I just think getting foreigners into the country that arent already here is exceptionally difficult going into this season and many are not going to want to do it.

I really dont think there will be more than a tiny handful of new foreigners across the entire league this season.

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think its a possibility but im not particularly optimistic we will. I just think getting foreigners into the country that arent already here is exceptionally difficult going into this season and many are not going to want to do it.

I really dont think there will be more than a tiny handful of new foreigners across the entire league this season.

With Noone returning what else do we need really need.. have wingers strikers. Maybe a AM but think we’re settled 

Edited by CityBoyz

21 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

With Noone returning what else do we need really need.. have wingers strikers. Maybe a AM but think we’re settled 

Personally i think we're done, and Delbridge will move on. Perhaps one more back up winger would be nice, but not stressed. If we are to marquee someone else then maybe a 10 is the type but honestly im pretty content.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Personally i think we're done, and Delbridge will move on. Perhaps one more back up winger would be nice, but not stressed. If we are to marquee someone else then maybe a 10 is the type but honestly im pretty content.

Would be nice to have Delbridge as we don’t have any other CB cover but wait and see. He’s still in Melbourne so anything can happen 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm reading that Najjar has gone to Macarthur on loan. Good move by City to keep him on our books.

I'm surprised that City hasn't formally announced this Najjar move. 

35 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'm assuming that Delbo is staying unless City say otherwise.

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm surprised that City hasn't formally announced this Najjar move. 

I'm assuming that Delbo is staying unless City say otherwise.

We’ve got Griffiths to cover. Something must be in the works otherwise some sort of announcement would be made; he’s either looking overseas and still negotiating or both.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

I have suspicion that Nabbout will be outside the cap and hence seen as Marquee.

We have a fair bit of older players and also didn’t not force the full 30% salary reduction on the players so the cap is easily reached.

Teams is starting to shape up.

GF starting losses:

Brillante, Wales, Delbridge (presumed)
replaced by:

O’Neill, Nabbout, some kid whose name I can’t remember (young defensive mid)

Basic concept seems to be Griffith will be a utility fill-in at centre back or defensive mid, which seems a reasonable plan. Football being what it is he’ll probably play quite a few games.
On the face of it looks pretty good. Stability at last & an injection of quality with Nabbout (who truly is a replacement for Carbera/Susaeta)

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Teams is starting to shape up.

GF starting losses:

Brillante, Wales, Delbridge (presumed)
replaced by:

O’Neill, Nabbout, some kid whose name I can’t remember (young defensive mid)

Basic concept seems to be Griffith will be a utility fill-in at centre back or defensive mid, which seems a reasonable plan. Football being what it is he’ll probably play quite a few games.
On the face of it looks pretty good. Stability at last & an injection of quality with Nabbout (who truly is a replacement for Carbera/Susaeta)

Gomulka?

6 hours ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

Guys we really need a creative marquee #10. Unfortunantely i cant see Berenguer as the player that will consistently create goal scoring opportunites or score himself a few goals. 

In an ideal world I definitely agree, but us resigning Flo suggests there wont be getting any other players coming in for that position.

I reckon our starting XI will look something like this:

Glover
Nate  Windbichler Good Jamo
      Luna     O'Neill     Flo
Nabbout     God     Noone

Although if Jamo wasn't captain I think you could make a strong case for Galloway starting instead of him

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I think our biggest issue is keeping the windbitch. I know he is on a 2 year deal but these aleauge contracts....

He's a player I'm very keen to keep, but many A-League sides this season would be envious of what we're left with as our alternative, Delbo and Good. Our squad looks deep and strong going into this coming season. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He's a player I'm very keen to keep, but many A-League sides this season would be envious of what we're left with as our alternative, Delbo and Good. Our squad looks deep and strong going into this coming season. 

Delbridge has no contract with the club anymore so it will be interesting to see if he’s at training tomorrow.

On 03/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Heart of oakleigh said:

Guys we really need a creative marquee #10. Unfortunantely i cant see Berenguer as the player that will consistently create goal scoring opportunites or score himself a few goals. 

Whilst I would ordinarily agree with you on this statement, the A-league is looking like it is going to have a pretty noticeable decline in quality and as such Berenguer will  be more than adequate for the role.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, malloy said:

Whilst I would ordinarily agree with you on this statement, the A-league is looking like it is going to have a pretty noticeable decline in quality and as such Berenguer will  be more than adequate for the role.

Our formation laste year did not really include a classic 10. IMO we had 2 '8's. Berenguer/Metcalfe/Luna paired. I think we will continue woth this for the upcoming season. We played a single sitting 6. I do not see us playing a classic 10. Some articles i have read suggest the single 10 is dissapearing and not part of the modern tactical strategy. I don't mean that there are not players who act as creative playmekers, just that the structure of the 433 and its variants rarely (not Never) use this. We have only ever used it when we were protecting a lead or a draw for a few minutes at the end of games. The other part of this is that we have the LB sliding in to midfield in attack and this pushes both 8's higher into box area (ie dangerous) on both sides. This creates more requirements of the opposition to defend and possible L and R atcking options. 

So IMO we will not be trying to get a classic singly operating 10. 

• Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic