Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/meredith-courted-australian-interest#:bO-Q5KVij9TpjA

Article above says A-League clubs are showing interest in James Meredith. We'd have to be one of them after losing Zullo and with Gooch possibly going?

Having played over 80 games in the last two seasons he doesn't really fit with our injury oriented scouting system 😁

Interesting option all the same

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3

If Novillo leaves, we should try and get Maclaren with his wages. I'm pretty sure if the FFA take over Brisbane then the players have a choice to sign a new contract or become a free agent.

Then we would have a 442 formation of.

---------------------------------Sorenson (Visa)----------------------------------------

--Franjic-------Chapman/Malik-------Visa CB--------Clisby/Gooch/Aus LB

------------------------------Malik/Brattan?--------------------------------------

------------Caecares------------------------------Visa CM---------------------

---------------------------Visa Marquee CAM------------------------------------

-----------Fornaroli (Visa Marquee)------------Maclaren---------------------------------

Bench:  Kamau/Fitzgerald,  Melling, Gameiro, Manny M, Bouzanis

4 minutes ago, haz said:

If Novillo leaves, we should try and get Maclaren with his wages. I'm pretty sure if the FFA take over Brisbane then the players have a choice to sign a new contract or become a free agent.

---------------------------------Sorenson (Visa)----------------------------------------

------------------------------Malik/Brattan?--------------------------------------

-----------Fornaroli (Visa Marquee)------------Maclaren---------------------------------

I doubt Maclaren will walk out of two contracts because of ownership issues in two seasons.

25 minutes ago, haz said:

As much as Id like it i dont think it would be in MacLarens best interests to come here. He'd be walking away from a side that has worked really well for him and got him into the national team, whereas if he come here and doesnt gel with Fornaroli, he'll be coming off the bench. Bad career move imo.

Whichever way you look at it we are facing almost a complete rebuild of our starting eleven. With about 4 weeks remaining before the players commence training there is going to have to be a rash of signings and other announcements.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bt50 said:

As much as Id like it i dont think it would be in MacLarens best interests to come here. He'd be walking away from a side that has worked really well for him and got him into the national team, whereas if he come here and doesnt gel with Fornaroli, he'll be coming off the bench. Bad career move imo.

Remember that he moved from Perth to Brisbane when the finance problems started and Aloisi was appointed coach, everyone was a bit surprised by his decision.

20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Looks like the slippery fish will slip through the net at Brisbane. Wouldn't mind trying to lure him to Melbourne. Be a great option off the bench.

Punny :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Whichever way you look at it we are facing almost a complete rebuild of our starting eleven. With about 4 weeks remaining before the players commence training there is going to have to be a rash of signings and other announcements.

Agree and the fact that we are getting complete SILENCE from the club do's nothing for fan confidence .

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It wouldn't be a traditional Heart/City pre-season without:

key players missing the whole pre-season because of injury

key players missing the whole pre-season because they weren't signed until the last minute

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

Lol we should really get the Brattan deal done early before the 'Manchester City can't sign A-League players and send them to Melbourne City' rule is introduced.

To be followed in due course by:

"Manchester City cannot sign any player and send them to Melbourne City"
"No CFG club can send any player to Melbourne City"
"Melbourne City cannot use the City Football Group scouting network"
"Melbourne City cannot sign any player who has ever played for any other club"
and finally:
"Melbourne City cannot do anything they want to do, ever."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It wouldn't be a traditional Heart/City pre-season without:

key players missing the whole pre-season because of injury

key players missing the whole pre-season because they weren't signed until the last minute

Add to that;

All foreign marquee players turn up to round 1 via crutches (due to bullshit preseason injury during a friendly / rolling their ankle in training) and then miss half a season due to such injury / becoming injury prone to the extent they play one week miss the next

Not sure how much there is to this, but ...

Cahill keeps mum on A-League, while Ange looks for further growth

Michael Lynch

June 6, 2016

Tim Cahill's A-League future - if he indeed will have one - may be one of the most talked about issues surrounding his appearance with the Socceroos in the current series of friendlies.

But Australia's talisman is drawing a line under any further discussion - at least until after the two-match series against Greece concludes at Etihad Stadium on Tuesday night. However, that has not stopped the speculation that he could return home, with Melbourne City the most recent club touted as a possible suitor

In the pre-match press conference on Monday afternoon, Australia's record goalscorer said  he didn't want the issue to be any more of distraction for his teammates or coach Ange Postecoglou than it had been already.

"I think to be totally respectful to all of you, I think this is something I'm definitely going to address after this game," he said."It's only fair to my teammates, the boss and the staff to [not] take a lot of focus off [the game] by talking about the A-League.

"I'm a massive supporter of the competition and as I've said time-and-time before, the door will never be closed, but after the camp we'll be able to address these sorts of questions and we'll see what can happen."

[...]

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-cahill-keeps-mum-on-aleague-while-ange-looks-for-further-growth-20160606-gpcpet.html

Also:

but rumours of an A-League move have resurfaced, with cashed-up Melbourne City rumoured to be interested in signing the forward

The 36-year-old says he will shed light on his immediate future soon after game two of the Dodoni Series against Greece on Tuesday at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium.

http://outside90.com/tim-cahill-to-address-a-league-questions-after-camp-318/

Edited by Murfy1

BTW here's the full context for Cahill's comment earlier today:

Asked specifically at the Socceroos pre-match press conference whether or not coming to Melbourne City - given that club’s capacity to grow in terms of its fan base - was something that appealed to him, Cahill batted away the transfer talk.

For now.

“I think to be totally respectful to all of you, I think this is something I’m definitely going to address after this game,” Cahill said.

“It’s only fair to my teammates, the boss and the staff to (not) take a lot of focus off (the game) by talking about the A-League.

“I’m a massive supporter of the competition and as I’ve said time-and-time before the door will never be closed, but after the camp we’ll be able to address these sorts of questions and we’ll see what can happen.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-star-tim-cahill-to-address-questions-about-his-club-future-following-friendly-against-greece/news-story/688e75a5b8ce3afdb705323d292836ea

Interesting.

Edited by Murfy1

40 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I think it's going to happen tbh

A-League: Melbourne City to make run for Tim Cahill

Ray Gatt.

Cashed up Melbourne City are believed to be ready to pull off one of the biggest coups in A-League history by attempting to lure Socceroos legend Tim Cahill as their key marquee for next season.

The Australian understands City, who are owned by the Abu Dhabi-based City Football Group, are determined to take the next step to put the club in the forefront of the game by signing Cahill, the man regarded as the country’s greatest soccer player of all time.

Some sources have suggested talks have already started.

It is understood Cahill is regarded as a priority for City, who have struggled for crowds and a footing in the competitive sporting market in the Melbourne. Having to compete in the shadow of the longer established and highly professional Melbourne Victory has also had a serious ­effect.

Cahill, who will captain Australia in a friendly against Greece at Etihad Stadium tonight, is viewed as a possible game-changer for the club. He would not only be a massive marketing force, attracting fans and media attention, but would also considerably lift commercial interest.

Money is no object for CFG, who own English Premier League club Manchester City and the MLS outfit New York City. City’s owners would likely have to fork out between $2 million and $3m to secure the Australian star, whose six-month contract at Chinese Super League club Hangzhou Greentown is due to expire.

City, however, might still have a fight on their hands to get the 36-year-old, who is in peak fitness and retains his enormous zest to continue playing for club and country.

There are reports Cahill, who is the Socceroos’ leading scorer with 47 goals in 90 games, is being chased by a number of Chinese clubs, including one of the richest and biggest in the country, Shanghai SIPG.

“Things are heating up now the transfer market is moving again,” his agent Ante Alilovic said last month.

“I am very confident Cahill will be staying in China next season, though with which club, we don’t know yet. But there are three clubs interested in Timmy.

“We are waiting for the right option to come forward and in the end myself and Tim will make a decision.”

Cahill has always said he hadn’t closed the door on playing in the A-League and reiterated those comments in Melbourne yesterday.

“I will address this issue after tomorrow night’s game,” Cahill said. “I don’t want to take the focus away from the Socceroos by talking about the A-League.

“I am a massive supporter of the competition and I have always said I will never close the door. But overall, I think it’s going to be left down to the big boss man of the league (David Gallop) to decide what he wants to do.”

Maybe we'll make a play for Duga again as this means we'll need a quality crosser of the ball in the team... and also bring back JA for his long ball game plan... ummm

Seriously though, this is extremely risky imo. Can understand the marketing / numbers reasoning, but how will it affect our team? 

Will Bruno still be offered marquee or will they play hardball and make him see out his current contract now and get another marquee? I just don't think Bruno and Cahill as the two marquees will work.

We really need to be careful here or it could backfire very quickly... or it might just be a masterstroke. 

17 minutes ago, Cityscape said:

That would be Luke Brattan, mate. Already signed up for next season.

Brattan is not even close to Mooy's quality, plus they play in different midfield positions.   The replacement for Mooy will need to be a Visa marque.

• Like 4

If Cahil is signed we are strengthening a position were we are league leaders in. We already have the best #9 and probably will improve next season. When Mooy leaves we will lose the leagues best box to box /#10. Bringing in Cahil as the marquee  (which what it requires ) is a net sum loss on last season. 

If Bruno walks then it's another story and if that happens personally I'm definitely not renewing. 

Edited by Jovan

1 hour ago, rass said:

Maybe we'll make a play for Duga again as this means we'll need a quality crosser of the ball in the team... and also bring back JA for his long ball game plan... ummm

Seriously though, this is extremely risky imo. Can understand the marketing / numbers reasoning, but how will it affect our team? 

Will Bruno still be offered marquee or will they play hardball and make him see out his current contract now and get another marquee? I just don't think Bruno and Cahill as the two marquees will work.

We really need to be careful here or it could backfire very quickly... or it might just be a masterstroke. 

If CFG needs Cahill to market Melbourne City IMO it would be an admission by CFG that their strategy of "brand" has failed. I don't think they will sign anyone except for football reasons. I hope not anyway. I also hope that CFG stick to their guns on what they think an individual player is worth.

Edited by jw1739

• jw1739 pinned this topic