Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Plus the one thing we have going for us is money. So no one could outbid us

Yes, they can.

But only once he is out of contract. If he is going this offseason it's not to another A-League club.

Edited by Tesla

Just now, Jovan said:

Realistically China is the worry. Still if we offer just enough he stay happily. And thats the key if he is happy he will have a  better season than last.

No it's not.

They're going for much bigger foreigners than Fornaroli.

If he was Australian it might be a worry because then he qualifies as an Asian player, of which there isn't much to choose.

If anything the Middle East is maybe a worry but I don't know if they're throwing money around as much lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

No it's not.

They're going for much bigger foreigners than Fornaroli.

If he was Australian it might be a worry because then he qualifies as an Asian player, of which there isn't much to choose.

If anything the Middle East is maybe a worry but I don't know if they're throwing money around as much lately.

club already rejected a big chinese offer for him

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Seriously what an absolute cunt. This guy has shown this club nothing but disrespect but for some reason the supporters have treated him like a god. We have ourselves to blame i suppose.

Worst part about it is, you just know he is going to get a set up better than all the clubs combined and win silverware so the "where are the jvs haters now?" crowd will making out as if they were right about him

Stop making sense. You've been making sense for years now and nothing has changed. Maybe if you start saying JVS is just a misunderstood genius this nightmare groundhog day will end. To think we probably have another year of this just blows my mind. And what if we make the grand final but lose poorly. Will he get re-signed? The potential for years more frustration is a very real possibility.

6 minutes ago, Alexxxandro said:

Stop making sense. You've been making sense for years now and nothing has changed. Maybe if you start saying JVS is just a misunderstood genius this nightmare groundhog day will end. To think we probably have another year of this just blows my mind. And what if we make the grand final but lose poorly. Will he get re-signed? The potential for years more frustration is a very real possibility.

I just find it amazing that everyone complains about this club having a cultural problem but do not feel that he significantly contributed to it. 

15 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Pablo Sanchez released by Adelaide. Thoughts?

There is something that is systemic wrong with the A League. 

Whenever a team puts together a half decent squad it inevitably has to cull quality players to remain within the cap

So whoever they replace him with will be at a lower rate and more than likely will take time to adjust to the new league. 

Just remove the cap it's hindering the Leagues growth.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Whenever a team puts together a half decent squad it inevitably has to cull quality players to remain within the cap

So whoever they replace him with will be at a lower rate and more than likely will take time to adjust to the new league. 

Was thinking about this yesterday evening. Need some sort of system whereby the greater the number of players you retain from one season to the next then the greater the allowed salary cap is for that following season. So, say you retained all 26 players then the cap goes up 10%; if you retain 13 players then the cap goes up 5%. If you cull all your players then you have to revert to the basic salary cap. Something like that anyway. 

But I agree that the ultimate solution is to remove the cap altogether.

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Was thinking about this yesterday evening. Need some sort of system whereby the greater the number of players you retain from one season to the next then the greater the allowed salary cap is for that following season. So, say you retained all 26 players then the cap goes up 10%; if you retain 13 players then the cap goes up 5%. If you cull all your players then you have to revert to the basic salary cap. Something like that anyway. 

This would probably work. But if it was put into effect, then by that point that would be already a few different rules/exemptions from the base cap already. Which goes back to what you say about the ultimate solution is to remove the cap altogether rather then just making a jumble of rules.

Or would it be better for FFA to remove the cap, but put in place their own version of Financial Fair Play? That way good players can be retained but clubs (Like ours) cant go making $10m+ losses per season etc from paying ridiculous wages.

Edited by haz

Would be interested to know what signings are judged to be most important for next season. Right now, the squad and positions for next season are (depth in brackets):

Novillo                        Fornaroli                          Kamau

(Gameiro)                      (Fitzgerald)

?                                  Caceres

(Retre)

Malik

(Melling)

Zullo                    ?                                Chapman              Franjic                          

(Clisby)                                                                                (Muscat)

Sorensen

(Bouzanis)

I've got a feeling Garuccio will be off. Other young players at Melbourne City were re-signed in January (Chapman, Retre, Melling, Clisby), with Garuccio noticeably missing. Also there could maybe be some sort of agreement between Adelaide and Melbourne City: we get Kamau if they get Garuccio (and maybe Marino).

Despite that rumour from "the Secret Agent" that Melling could leave, I think that's rather unlikely given that he re-signed for 2 more years in January. 

Luke Brattan would be an excellent addition. Not only would he give us more quality and depth in midfield, but he'd allow Malik to play as a centre-back, giving us reasonable depth there: Chapman, Malik, Muscat, Clisby.

So, besides re-signing Fornaroli, Caceres, Zullo and Fitzgerald, 3 signings that are "musts" IMO are Luke Brattan, a Visa defender (our own Delpierre, so to speak) and a marquee Visa midfielder. If CFG can deliver on those signings, it would give the team a really strong spine and set it up pretty well for next season IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, haz said:

Or would it be better for FFA to remove the cap, but put in place their own version of Financial Fair Play? That way good players can be retained but clubs (Like ours) cant go making $10m+ losses per season etc from paying ridiculous wages.

Thing is, even allowing for exchange rates, if you were allowed $10m losses a season that would make it far more lenient than UEFA's own fair play. I'm sure that if they tried to implement a FFP in how A-League you'd end up with something far more constraining, like $1m a season max losses or some such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Would be interested to know what signings are judged to be most important for next season. Right now, the squad and positions for next season are (depth in brackets):

(Gameiro)                      (Fitzgerald)

?                                  Caceres

(Retre)

Malik

(Melling)

Zullo                    ?                                Chapman              Franjic                          

(Clisby)                                                                                (Muscat)

Sorensen

(Bouzanis)

I've got a feeling Garuccio will be off. Other young players at Melbourne City were re-signed in January (Chapman, Retre, Melling, Clisby), with Garuccio noticeably missing. Also there could maybe be some sort of agreement between Adelaide and Melbourne City: we get Kamau if they get Garuccio (and maybe Marino).

Despite that rumour from "the Secret Agent" that Melling could leave, I think that's rather unlikely given that he re-signed for 2 more years in January. 

Luke Brattan would be an excellent addition. Not only would he give us more quality and depth in midfield, but he'd allow Malik to play as a centre-back, giving us reasonable depth there: Chapman, Malik, Muscat, Clisby.

So, besides re-signing Fornaroli, Caceres, Zullo and Fitzgerald, 3 signings that are "musts" IMO are Luke Brattan, a Visa defender (our own Delpierre, so to speak) and a marquee Visa midfielder. If CFG can deliver on those signings, it would give the team a really strong spine and set it up pretty well for next season IMO.

Murfy our defence needs a leader to help move the team on. It is why it's important that we sign a Visa player at Centre Half. Looking at the players we have signed on, I would be inclined to allow Franjic to leave. He will be taking up quite a bit of our salary cap, and for me he was a disappointment. I don't believe he is good enough as a defender. We have signed Muscat, and I also believe Chapman can play there, so believe that we wouldn't be any weaker without Franjic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Thing is, even allowing for exchange rates, if you were allowed $10m losses a season that would make it far more lenient than UEFA's own fair play. I'm sure that if they tried to implement a FFP in how A-League you'd end up with something far more constraining, like $1m a season max losses or some such.

Fair enough, I was just putting out a random number

5 minutes ago, haz said:

Fair enough, I was just putting out a random number

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't trying to shut just you down. Just saying that, the way that the A-League has gone so far, if they tried implementing any sort of FFP I can only see it being so skewed towards the Adelaides and so on of the league in an effort to prevent them from getting reckless that it would actually cut into the regular spending of some teams rather than enabling it across the board. 

There's also that it would be an interesting decision, as UEFA themselves are pulling back on their own FFP right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Murfy our defence needs a leader to help move the team on. It is why it's important that we sign a Visa player at Centre Half. Looking at the players we have signed on, I would be inclined to allow Franjic to leave. He will be taking up quite a bit of our salary cap, and for me he was a disappointment. I don't believe he is good enough as a defender. We have signed Muscat, and I also believe Chapman can play there, so believe that we wouldn't be any weaker without Franjic.

I fully agree that Franjic had a pretty disappointing season, by his high standards. Franjic has won 3 A-League Championships (2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14) and has been in 2 Teams of the Year (2010-11 and 2013-14), and even made the PFA Team of the Decade. Franjic has 20 Socceroos caps, and last played for the Socceroos less than a year ago (June last year), so a lot more was expected from him. Perhaps his rather disappointing season can be excused by the long term injuries he struggled with in the lead-up to the season--I'll leave that as an open question.

However, I'd be weary of giving up on Franjic. He's a very good age (28), and quite possibly with a full pre-season free of injury disruptions Franjic could perform much better next season. Manny Muscat isn't getting any younger at 31 (and 32 in December), and as a completely new signing it would be putting a lot of faith in him to make him the new starting RB. A much better decision IMO would be to stick with Franjic and bank on him being significantly better next season, which perhaps would be more likely owing to competition with Muscat for the starting spot.

IMO Franjic has far too much good A-League pedigree to write him off after one so-so A-League season. A-League teams have a much smaller pool of players they can recruit from than EPL teams, so it often pays to give a player the benefit of the doubt and go with them the next season instead of releasing them and rolling the dice with some new players (reminders of that are Djite and Santalab, 6 goals and 2 goals respectively two seasons ago, and both got 11 goals last season).

With regards to a Visa player at Centre half, I'm in complete agreement. We need a top quality central defender, with lots of experience and ideally experience being a captain/leader, not just for next season but beyond that as well (as the only leader remaining in our defence, Sorensen, will only be around for next season). It's arguably our most important signing for next season, So I'm very keen to see who CFG can come up with. This defender will have to be 1000% times better than Aaron Hughes, that's for sure.

And on Chapman, he's a much much better centre-half than he is a full back, so Chapman should only be played centrally. Also, there's then the dilemma of who plays centrally to replace Chapman if Chapman plays as a full-back, so I hope to only see Chapman play as a centre-half next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Jovan said:

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This is the way the cap is meant to work and even if there wasn't a cap there would still be culling to do. The first aspect of the cap is to prevent clubs from spending themselves broke (this is what most people tend to concentrate on when thinking about a salary cap) but another aspect is that it forces clubs to release decent players and they usually end up in weaker clubs. As an example Faty and Tavares had outlived their usefulness at Sydney FC hence their release, but have moved across to CCM where their experience and skills would be of greater benefit. A similar thing happens in the AFL for example Suckling went from Hawthorn to the Doggies where he was a welcome addition to their backline. Where this falls apart a little bit is that football being a global game, Faty and Tavares could have easily moved to another country thus depriving CCM of experienced players.

Another example is MV who didn't cull their list with the only significant loss was Milligan and the release of Nathan Coe. Yet their season was pretty awful right through. Should they have released Archie last season? Now that Archie has been released he still believes that he has another season in him at the top level. Will another club pick him up?

Culling of the playing list falls into at least two categories: fringe players who rarely make the starting XI or the bench and this includes youth players and experienced players; or players that have been consistent starting XI but whose form is now on the wane. Cubs have to renovate their list and some players do have to make way. Ultimately Lampard, Vila, etc. had to depart their clubs because they were past their used by dates in those clubs but they are certainly still very good.

• Like 3

It seems to me that the salary cap is poorly designed.Let's look at the problem fundamentally. An owner like Manchester City has lot of financial clout and wants to spend to field a very competitive team but is constrained by the salary cap which exists to keep the financially weaker teams in the A league competitive  Net result is that the average quality of each team becomes determined by the affordability of the weakest team = mediocrity. How then can we design a system that allows Man City to do what it wants to do but keeps the weaker clubs competitive and able to field quality teams?

How about if Man City or any other owner were allowed under some special rules to spend up big over and above the salary cap but subject to a special rule that says that whatever you spend over the salary cap you must pay to each other club as a "compensation payment".

So an an example.

Salary cap = $3 million

2 rich clubs, Sydney FC and Melbourne City decide to spend $5m and $4m respectively on their team's salary cap expenditure.

So Sydney FC has exceeded the salary cap by $2m so must pay $2m as a fee to each other A league club (total $18m in fees). Melbourne City has exceeded the cap by $1m so must pay $1m to each other club in compensation payments (total = $9m).

So an owner can try to buy a premiership but those compensation payments mean that each other club will have extra $$$ to spend on players (or pocket as profit).

Now you may say that no club would be prepared to spend $1m over the salary cap if it meant that the total effective cost of doing so would be $10m but for owners with more money than sense this might actually be a workable proposition that they might try..

Net result = more money into the game overall + more funds to spend on quality talent for everyone..

Worst case scenario is that noone would spend over the cap but then there's nothing lost in this scenario.

cheers Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pberrett said:

It seems to me that the salary cap is poorly designed.Let's look at the problem fundamentally. An owner like Manchester City has lot of financial clout and wants to spend to field a very competitive team but is constrained by the salary cap which exists to keep the financially weaker teams in the A league competitive  Net result is that the average quality of each team becomes determined by the affordability of the weakest team = mediocrity. How then can we design a system that allows Man City to do what it wants to do but keeps the weaker clubs competitive and able to field quality teams?

How about if Man City or any other owner were allowed under some special rules to spend up big over and above the salary cap but subject to a special rule that says that whatever you spend over the salary cap you must pay to each other club as a "compensation payment".

So an an example.

Salary cap = $3 million

2 rich clubs, Sydney FC and Melbourne City decide to spend $5m and $4m respectively on their team's salary cap expenditure.

So Sydney FC has exceeded the salary cap by $2m so must pay $2m as a fee to each other A league club (total $18m in fees). Melbourne City has exceeded the cap by $1m so must pay $1m to each other club in compensation payments (total = $9m).

So an owner can try to buy a premiership but those compensation payments mean that each other club will have extra $$$ to spend on players (or pocket as profit).

Now you may say that no club would be prepared to spend $1m over the salary cap if it meant that the total effective cost of doing so would be $10m but for owners with more money than sense this might actually be a workable proposition that they might try..

Net result = more money into the game overall + more funds to spend on quality talent for everyone..

Worst case scenario is that noone would spend over the cap but then there's nothing lost in this scenario.

cheers Peter

I am not sure that in the A-League there is a case to be made that the salary cap is creating mediocrity. Melbourne City had a pretty good squad yet only managed to finish fourth and got thumped in the semi-final. If your read this forum people like myself went from supporting JVS to having decided last season that he had to go. So the reasons are a bit more complex than just the salary cap.

There is some good stuff on the web regarding salary caps, here are two easy and quick reads:

http://priceonomics.com/are-salary-caps-for-professional-athletes-fair/

http://footballcentral.com.au/salary-caps-and-competitive-balance-fact-or-fiction/#.Vy7Fghzk6t8

Here are some more heavy reading:

http://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/4659/1/4659_Davies_2006.pdf

http://www.agsm.edu.au/bobm/cluster/IOWS/jie-sport.pdf

It would be interesting to see how many players Leicester City manages to keep for next season.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I am not sure that in the A-League there is a case to be made that the salary cap is creating mediocrity. Melbourne City had a pretty good squad yet only managed to finish fourth and got thumped in the semi-final. If your read this forum people like myself went from supporting JVS to having decided last season that he had to go. So the reasons are a bit more complex than just the salary cap.

There is some good stuff on the web regarding salary caps, here are two easy and quick reads:

http://priceonomics.com/are-salary-caps-for-professional-athletes-fair/

http://footballcentral.com.au/salary-caps-and-competitive-balance-fact-or-fiction/#.Vy7Fghzk6t8

Here are some more heavy reading:

http://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/4659/1/4659_Davies_2006.pdf

http://www.agsm.edu.au/bobm/cluster/IOWS/jie-sport.pdf

It would be interesting to see how many players Leicester City manages to keep for next season.

Why would they leave? Champions League, Champions of England, A bonus of a brand New Mercedes Bends each and most are up for a new contract with a significant pay rise.

Owners who are worth more than £2bn. So once again, why would you leave?

23 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I fully agree that Franjic had a pretty disappointing season, by his high standards. Franjic has won 3 A-League Championships (2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14) and has been in 2 Teams of the Year (2010-11 and 2013-14), and even made the PFA Team of the Decade. Franjic has 20 Socceroos caps, and last played for the Socceroos less than a year ago (June last year), so a lot more was expected from him. Perhaps his rather disappointing season can be excused by the long term injuries he struggled with in the lead-up to the season--I'll leave that as an open question.

However, I'd be weary of giving up on Franjic. He's a very good age (28), and quite possibly with a full pre-season free of injury disruptions Franjic could perform much better next season. Manny Muscat isn't getting any younger at 31 (and 32 in December), and as a completely new signing it would be putting a lot of faith in him to make him the new starting RB. A much better decision IMO would be to stick with Franjic and bank on him being significantly better next season, which perhaps would be more likely owing to competition with Muscat for the starting spot.

IMO Franjic has far too much good A-League pedigree to write him off after one so-so A-League season. A-League teams have a much smaller pool of players they can recruit from than EPL teams, so it often pays to give a player the benefit of the doubt and go with them the next season instead of releasing them and rolling the dice with some new players (reminders of that are Djite and Santalab, 6 goals and 2 goals respectively two seasons ago, and both got 11 goals last season).

With regards to a Visa player at Centre half, I'm in complete agreement. We need a top quality central defender, with lots of experience and ideally experience being a captain/leader, not just for next season but beyond that as well (as the only leader remaining in our defence, Sorensen, will only be around for next season). It's arguably our most important signing for next season, So I'm very keen to see who CFG can come up with. This defender will have to be 1000% times better than Aaron Hughes, that's for sure.

And on Chapman, he's a much much better centre-half than he is a full back, so Chapman should only be played centrally. Also, there's then the dilemma of who plays centrally to replace Chapman if Chapman plays as a full-back, so I hope to only see Chapman play as a centre-half next season.

Of course Franjic has a great pedigree in the A League Murfy. Also as a Socceroo. However, as you say he was hit with injury last season. It is possible this could happen the next season and so on. From my perspective of the A League, I believe you could get away with a serviceable right back. You could then concentrate in spending more money in other area like Centre Half and Midfield to bring in quality in those areas. With the salary cap it is a balancing act, and your not going to have great players in every position.

My view on Chapman is that although he has done well at Centre Half, he seems to me to lack aerial dominance. This is why I believe he could be a better right back. He is comfortable on the ball and has the pace to get up and down the park effectively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

Why would they leave? Champions League, Champions of England, A bonus of a brand New Mercedes Bends each and most are up for a new contract with a significant pay rise.

Because there is always someone willing to pay more. That team may be considered a bigger club where the player could get more success year after year. It is all about the perception of the individual player.

5 hours ago, pberrett said:

So an an example.

Salary cap = $3 million

I know what you're saying and I was going to suggest a luxury tax too - it's what a number of the American sports do, too. However the difficult thing is finding a level that works. If you take your suggested level of $1m to each team per every $1m spent I'm pretty sure that even CFG would be unwilling to commit. In the US, their system is $1m to the league as a whole for every $1m spent, but that feels like too little in this instance. It's hard to know what the correct amount is, but it's certainly a better system than the status quo. 

2 hours ago, AntiScum said:

Because the fear is that Leicester may struggle to even get back in the top half next season, especially if some of their teammates do leave, which will have some of them looking over their own shoulders. Sure, they get the gold badge and get to play in the CL, but if by January they've been dumped out of European competition and are sliding downwards then will they judge their decision to have been sensible when they could have signed for Real Madrid or Dortmund or Arsenal.

There's also the prestige of the clubs involved - they may be able to tell their grandkids that they won history's most unlikeliest championship but their grandkids are far more likely to be impressed that they once played for one of the world's evergreen clubs like Barca etc while in 50 years time Leicester will probably be back in the 3rd tier of English football.

Also,a number of these players are getting on in years and will probably be aware that if their next season is not as prolific for them as this year has been then the offers from the big clubs will not arrive and may never come again. For many of these players, this is the one and only time that they will ever get an offer from a Grade A European club. 

I'm not saying that any of these things will definitely happen - I'm certainly not trying to demean Leicester after their accomplishment this season. But they might, and that will play on people's minds and may cause them to make a rushed decision and ignore calls for patience and for one more year, as Ranieri has requested. 

Edited by Falastur

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

My view on Chapman is that although he has done well at Centre Half, he seems to me to lack aerial dominance. This is why I believe he could be a better right back. He is comfortable on the ball and has the pace to get up and down the park effectively.

I know we're most likely getting Brattan, but I would like to see Chapman be converted to a CDM, what would people think of that?

Edited by Andrew Edmonds

On 07/05/2016 at 2:06 PM, Murfy1 said:

(?)                           (Gameiro)                      (Fitzgerald)

?                                  ?

(Retre, Caceres)

Malik

(Melling)

(Clisby)                  (?)                                    (?)                 (Muscat)

Sorensen

(Bouzanis)

We need a quality midfield duo - Caceras is till learning the ropes -, a strong and experienced defender to replace Paddy, our left side looks weak and needs attention. Luke Brattan hasn't played serious competitive football since leaving for ManCity in early 2015 so who knows what state he's in. We're taking a gamble with Gameiro who's coming off an injury - his goal scoring record is nothing to get excited about with 21 appearances for 5 goals. Franjic may well have peaked at Roar but hopefully gets it together next season. I'm still pissed at the way we threw away opportunities to get our hands on silverware this year. And we still have the elephant in the room to deal with .... :(

• Like 2

Chapman is a centre-back, one with quite a lot of promise. We've seen how well JVS' experiment with Matt Thompson being converted to a new position worked when it was blatantly obvious it was never gonna work. This is the same situation.

Prior to his suspension last season Chapman was hailed as our defences saviour. Find him an experienced centre back to partner and let him string some games together and we'll have one of the best defenders in the league.

• Like 4

We have 16 players signed for next season, with question marks over several of them for various reasons: Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo, Gameiro, Garuccio, and indeed others (Kuzmanowski, Melling) have been mentioned as possible departures. Go though those 16 and identify who you identify as starting players - there's the answer, we need starting players, except goalkeepers, all over the park.

Outside that 16 only Fitzgerald is known to have been offered a deal for next season. Status of Caceres and Brattan unknown, and at last call nothing offered to Zullo. Two visa positions open at present, maybe more depending on Fornaroli and Novillo.

A lot of work to do.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We have 16 players signed for next season, with question marks over several of them for various reasons: Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo, Gameiro, Garuccio, and indeed others (Kuzmanowski, Melling) have been mentioned as possible departures. Go though those 16 and identify who you identify as starting players - there's the answer, we need starting players, except goalkeepers, all over the park.

Outside that 16 only Fitzgerald is known to have been offered a deal for next season. Status of Caceres and Brattan unknown, and at last call nothing offered to Zullo. Two visa positions open at present, maybe more depending on Fornaroli and Novillo.

A lot of work to do.

Heaps to do.

All I want and hope that most positions on the the list at least close 20 are filled when preseason commences and all the players return from their breaks.

Last season we began the year with a depleted line lineup and dropped valuable points which ultimately cost us in the run home. 

It still freaks me out that newcastle game leading 2:0 and copping 3. We started with Kuzi and Williams.

If CFG have learnt anything surely this must be the most important starting point. Have most of the list finalized well before the first round. There are no excuses we have the longest offseason ever.

Sure you can reassess in January but that should be as last resort. 

So we need all the Marquee spots and Visa spots locked in prior to round 1 and maybe a guest spot as a cherry. It's unforgivable anything less.

• Like 6

• jw1739 pinned this topic