Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

4 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I for one think that the FFA are at risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg

I think there is a case of "you dont know what you have till it's gone" going on here.

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

This new rule is hardly a big deal, and given we were circumventing the rules it was inevitable that they'd do something.

The real problem is that transfer fees aren't allowed between A-League clubs in the first place. Possibly the worst rule the A-League has. Would solve many problems. Only issue is I don't know why you would pay a transfer fee in a salary capped league, but that's irrelevant.

Although my preference would be for just a simple cash transfer fee between clubs, there is no reason why a more complex barter system with rules could not be introduced that would not compromise the aims of the FFA. For example at the beginning of the season MelbCuty had a dearth of defenders and a surplus of forwards. The club could have come to some barter type arrangement that would have allowed players to be swapped with a club that needed more forwards. There could be some restrictions put in place if the FFA wanted to keep the top clubs from continually poaching other team's players but that has not stopped MV from poaching the Roar's players or AU poaching our players.

3 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Although my preference would be for just a simple cash transfer fee between clubs, there is no reason why a more complex barter system with rules could not be introduced that would not compromise the aims of the FFA. For example at the beginning of the season MelbCuty had a dearth of defenders and a surplus of forwards. The club could have come to some barter type arrangement that would have allowed players to be swapped with a club that needed more forwards. There could be some restrictions put in place if the FFA wanted to keep the top clubs from continually poaching other team's players but that has not stopped MV from poaching the Roar's players or AU poaching our players.

After speaking to someone at the FFA about it a while ago, that wasn't the original intention. The thought process behind it was that the FFA would rather teams were putting money towards grass roots football/youth development rather than paying each other for players.

As gas been pointed out numerous times though, I feel the rule does substantially more damage than anything else, Central Coast are a prime example of a team that has been heavily hamstrung (yet still competitive) by the rule. Think of all the money they could have recouped over the years through selling on the talent they bring up, a portion of which would have likely been re-invested in their academy too.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

After speaking to someone at the FFA about it a while ago, that wasn't the original intention. The thought process behind it was that the FFA would rather teams were putting money towards grass roots football/youth development rather than paying each other for players.

As gas been pointed out numerous times though, I feel the rule does substantially more damage than anything else, Central Coast are a prime example of a team that has been heavily hamstrung (yet still competitive) by the rule. Think of all the money they could have recouped over the years through selling on the talent they bring up, a portion of which would have likely been re-invested in their academy too.

Even more reason to scrap or modify the rule since it is not fulfilling its original intention and is likely to be detrimental to the development of the game.

• Like 1

I don't really think the "Caceres rule" is a very big deal. If only because our club should be able to sign good players without poaching them from other A-League clubs (with rules that no other A-League clubs can make use of), IMO it shouldn't matter whether the rule is implemented or not. In some ways I'd prefer the rule to be implemented, so CFG can use its 36 scouts (or however many there exactly are) to build us a top squad, instead of lazily picking up players from other HAL clubs.

The only tangible way this rule will effect Melbourne City is that the club may now not sign 19 year old Liam Rose from CCM, a player who the club reportedly wants to sign. IMO it wouldn't be a significant missed opportunity if the club doesn't get Rose, and there might even be the positive that the club now won't consider releasing a certain young Australian midfielder, Jacob Melling.

In other news today, 17 year old Kye Rowles, a central defender who played in the U17 World Cup last year, was wanted by Melbourne City but today signed for Brisbane:

Following a trial in Belgium with Club Brugge, Rowles was on the verge of signing for Melbourne City before joining the Roar.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/brisbane-roar-part-ways-with-midfielders-steve-lustica-and-javier-hervas/news-story/8705fed0845b3ec377035d714332a3e4

I'd say last season's recruitment was A grade. IMO this club has a lot of recruitment to do to get an A for this off-season's recruitment.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I'd say last season's recruitment was A grade. IMO this club has a lot of recruitment to do to get an A for this off-season's recruitment.

Gee, I'd give a B at best. Marks lost for Hughes and the failure to replace Koren as well as signing 2 injured first choice back 4 defenders who missed much of the season with injuries. Marks gained for Bruno and Harry, Sorenson and gamier (not knowing that he would get injured) and Wilkinson in January.

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

This new rule is hardly a big deal, and given we were circumventing the rules it was inevitable that they'd do something.

The real problem is that transfer fees aren't allowed between A-League clubs in the first place. Possibly the worst rule the A-League has. Would solve many problems. Only issue is I don't know why you would pay a transfer fee in a salary capped league, but that's irrelevant.

Agree about the new rule being pretty much a non issue, but not about the transfer fee ban.

Much to it being irrelevant (to which you're quite right), IMO there are only four clubs able to truly spend up on transfer fees (the two Melbourne and two Sydney teams).  All others it doesn't fit (particularly given the losses A League teams are generally running at).

Which in turn makes the market a buyers market - keeping transfer fees low for the time being.  Thereby I don't see any real point to opening up the market to transfer fees

At least with no transfer fees it forces clubs to (a.) invest in other facets / marques and (b.) constantly challenge themselves so that "squadies" can be let go early to develop / get chances elsewhere as opposed to clubs holding on to a transfer fee payout (ie Malik, Fitzgerald and Mauk this season)

Edited by mattyh001

15 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm going to speculate, and it's a bit outside the box, that CFG is happy with the progress of the team and that we didn't win any trophies yet in order to remove the stigma that they can simply come in and buy success. They're pleased we scored so many goals, we were entertaining, our home record was positive, we improved slightly over last year. They'll also be pleased that perhaps we're potentially not favourites anymore going into next season. The whole thing was a cover up, JVS poor tactics and team selections were done purposefully to thwart our own successes, to fall on our own sword. They're building up the frustration in fans so that it will be all the more sweeter when we do win.

Fuck I love the off season. 

I don't normally quote myself but I had a look at some original articles back in early 2014 when CFG took over. Looking at some if the quotes I don't think part of my post is actually that far from the truth: 

MANCHESTER City chief executive Ferran Soriano has promised that Melbourne Heart will pursue playing good football as the surest route to establishing a successful identity, even if initially it comes at the expense of results.

Soriano - "we don't want to win and then play good football. We want to play good football and if then takes a bit longer to be successful, that's fine."

The question is what time frame does Soriano consider to be 'a bit longer.' Surely by this coming season success is the biggest priority. 

9 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I don't really think the "Caceres rule" is a very big deal. If only because our club should be able to sign good players without poaching them from other A-League clubs (with rules that no other A-League clubs can make use of), IMO it shouldn't matter whether the rule is implemented or not. In some ways I'd prefer the rule to be implemented, so CFG can use its 36 scouts (or however many there exactly are) to build us a top squad, instead of lazily picking up players from other HAL clubs.

The only tangible way this rule will effect Melbourne City is that the club may now not sign 19 year old Liam Rose from CCM, a player who the club reportedly wants to sign. IMO it wouldn't be a significant missed opportunity if the club doesn't get Rose, and there might even be the positive that the club now won't consider releasing a certain young Australian midfielder, Jacob Melling.

In other news today, 17 year old Kye Rowles, a central defender who played in the U17 World Cup last year, was wanted by Melbourne City but today signed for Brisbane:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/a-league/brisbane-roar-part-ways-with-midfielders-steve-lustica-and-javier-hervas/news-story/8705fed0845b3ec377035d714332a3e4

There are limitations with CFG using its scout network - namely that there are only 5 visa spots (assuming that the scouts are all foreign). So the remainder of the squad would either come through the Youth development or from other A-League clubs or maybe an NPL club (less likely). So at this stage our youth development has been OK but has yet to produce a bona fide star with the club (Goodwin was only here for one season), and in any case the club would have to be pretty good to be able to generate a couple of players each season for all the positions on the park. There may be some hope for some NPL players to step up but I see these as far and few in between. Which leaves the other A-League clubs to poach from.

Of course it would also depend on how much turn over the squad has each season but right now we are averaging about 50% each season.

10 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Much to it being irrelevant (to which you're quite right), IMO there are only four clubs able to truly spend up on transfer fees (the two Melbourne and two Sydney teams).  All others it doesn't fit (particularly given the losses A League teams are generally running at).

IMO they're losing money because they won't grow under the current model, part of which is over-regulation.

My problem with the whole A-League scenario is that if you don't allow transfer fees then the clubs who do develop/find in-demand players  cannot take advantage of it by trading between A-League clubs. Meaning their chances of growth are reduced, which in turn reduces their attractiveness for further investment, which in turn means that the A-League will continue to stagnate.

I contend that until we adopt a free market in our league then we will continue to be largely irrelevant, and that the more anti-City rules that are introduced the less likely it is that CFG will maintain a significant presence here.

• Like 3

The no transfer fee not only affects A League clubs it really inhibits all the lower levels and ultimately reduces youth participation. 

Having zero income from developing and selling players very little money from the turnstiles these lower level clubs are reliant on sponsors and junior fees. The main income now for these NPL sides are junior fees and it's not uncommon for kids having to $1500 to $2000 a season just to play.

It wont be long before the bottom falls out of the game in this country and the grassroots popularity of our sport will just a memory. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The no transfer fee not only affects A League clubs it really inhibits all the lower levels and ultimately reduces youth participation. 

Having zero income from developing and selling players very little money from the turnstiles these lower level clubs are reliant on sponsors and junior fees. The main income now for these NPL sides are junior fees and it's not uncommon for kids having to $1500 to $2000 a season just to play.

It wont be long before the bottom falls out of the game in this country and the grassroots popularity of our sport will just a memory. 

AFAIK, those clubs do get a fee though, but a very small one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO they're losing money because they won't grow under the current model, part of which is over-regulation.

My problem with the whole A-League scenario is that if you don't allow transfer fees then the clubs who do develop/find in-demand players  cannot take advantage of it by trading between A-League clubs. Meaning their chances of growth are reduced, which in turn reduces their attractiveness for further investment, which in turn means that the A-League will continue to stagnate.

I contend that until we adopt a free market in our league then we will continue to be largely irrelevant, and that the more anti-City rules that are introduced the less likely it is that CFG will maintain a significant presence here.

This. FFS how about FFA starts providing monetary rewards for winning the league and the grand final ? At the moment, clubs are only limited to gate receipts, membership sales and merchandise sales as source of income... I don't know any league that don't provide some sort of revenue for winning the league or the grand final. From what I understand, clubs don't even receive a share of the tix sales for grand final..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, strider said:

so i heard novillo to victory. dont quote me or red line green line my ass...just a whisper from ya boy strides

That cannot happen unless City release him on a free transfer. I can see no sense in them doing that unless the guy is so toxic that they want rid of him at any cost. They seem to have felt that way about Koren, so it's not unthinkable for Novillo I suppose.

7 hours ago, strider said:

so i heard novillo to victory. dont quote me or red line green line my ass...just a whisper from ya boy strides

Wasn't there a screenshot of someone asking Harry on Instagram if he was going to Victory because of rumours and he replied with (along the lines of) "I will never play for Victory". I had a look through the Harry thread before but couldn't seem to find it.

Anyone remember where that was?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

I can confirm the following:

they have offered Fornaroli 800k. He has not accepted or rejected this.

if Mooy is sold then JVS is gone. Part of the sale will cover his pay out.

There is an assistant coming from Manchester (name not known) 

things will unfold in the next 3 weeks.

30 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

So do we start another poll?

'Would you sacrifice Mooy to get rid of JvS?'.....

39 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

I find that hard to believe. 

The position of the senior coach is dependent on the sale of a player even though it is the most important player and that his sale will cover a potential pay out.

This decision is being made at the beginning if a crucial time where the direction of the entire playing list will be determined not to mention the coaching list.

If JVS is to be replaced it will be done regardless of what happens with Mooy.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

That would make sense if CFG are insisting on us being as financially self-sufficient as possible however it would really impact on our ability to hire a new coach. Moody's big European audition is the Socceroos game against the Poms.

2 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

So your past knowledge of Bruno and Gambau being signed is now bs?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Gee, I'd give a B at best. Marks lost for Hughes and the failure to replace Koren as well as signing 2 injured first choice back 4 defenders who missed much of the season with injuries. Marks gained for Bruno and Harry, Sorenson and gamier (not knowing that he would get injured) and Wilkinson in January.

Last season's recruitment IMO almost deserves an A simply because the club signed Fornaroli, a 25 goals in a season striker inside the cap for 180k. But overall I'd give the club an A because of these judgements:

- Extremely good: Fornaroli (esp. because he was inside the cap)

- Very good: Sorensen, Mooy (re-signed), Novillo (re-signed), Wilkinson (Jan signing)

- Good: Malik (Jan signing), Franjic (would have been graded better if he played more than 18 games), Fitzgerald

- Debatable: Zullo (only played 15 games), Trifiro, Bouzanis, Gameiro

- Bad: Hughes

All up, the club made the best signing last season in Fornaroli, signed the GK that made the most saves all season, re-signed 2 Team of the Season players in Mooy & Novillo and signed a defender in Wilkinson that other A-League clubs like Sydney FC and victory would have killed for. So relative to the recruiting of A-League clubs, ours was top grade/A grade. I agree wholeheartedly that the club should have replaced Koren and that Hughes was a complete waste, but nonetheless looking at the amount of quality the club brought in I'd have to give the club an A, even though every spot on the roster wasn't filled with a perfect recruit.

9 hours ago, NewConvert said:

There are limitations with CFG using its scout network - namely that there are only 5 visa spots (assuming that the scouts are all foreign). So the remainder of the squad would either come through the Youth development or from other A-League clubs or maybe an NPL club (less likely). So at this stage our youth development has been OK but has yet to produce a bona fide star with the club (Goodwin was only here for one season), and in any case the club would have to be pretty good to be able to generate a couple of players each season for all the positions on the park. There may be some hope for some NPL players to step up but I see these as far and few in between. Which leaves the other A-League clubs to poach from.

Of course it would also depend on how much turn over the squad has each season but right now we are averaging about 50% each season.

I'd be surprised if all the scouting was for foreign/non-Australian players. I'd actually be pretty confident that the CFG scouting network, CFG resources and the overall CFG connection would help Melbourne City sign quality Australian players, without the need to poach players from A-League clubs by signing them through Man City. To be clear, I'm not against signing players from A-League clubs when there's a level playing field (signing free agents, like Fitzgerald, or doing swap deals, like with Malik), but I'm against signing players when there's an unlevel playing field, where our club can do things that other A-League clubs can't (like with Caceres, a player Melb City could only sign b/c Man City "signed" him and loaned him to us).

Melbourne City to sign Adelaide United’s A-League Grand Final goalscorer Bruce Kamau

David Davutovic

May the 4th, 2016

GRAND final goalscorer Bruce Kamau will join Melbourne City next season as their recruiting drive clicks into gear.

Adelaide United conceded that it would be difficult to keep their title-winning side together and Kamau is the first departure with more set to follow.

Kamau, 21, is understood to have signed a three-year deal with City, which is believed to have been months in the making.

The lightning Kenyan-born right-winger scored three goals in 18 games, including the vital opener in the 3-1 grand final win over Western Sydney with a clever run and finish, in a breakthrough campaign after making just two starts last season.

“It’s unreal, you can’t really put it into words,” Kamau said after the win.

“The boss gave me more responsibility in starting in games and I’ve tried to pay him back.’’

Uncontracted Craig Goodwin has already revealed that he wants to try his luck overseas, while former Melbourne City midfielder Stefan Mauk may pursue European offers after a breakthrough season and stopper Dylan McGowan is being courted by A-League rivals.

Uncertainty surrounds the future of City left-sided player Michael Zullo, who is out of contract and yet to be offered a new deal, and Anthony Caceres whose loan deal from Manchester City has expired and is under review by the FFA as revealed by the Herald Sun.

Winger Nick Fitzgerald, who also joined from Central Coast mid-season, has been offered a new deal and is expected to sign.

Zullo’s future could hinge on that of fellow left-sided player Ben Garuccio, who’s being courted by Adelaide as its push to repatriate homegrown players continues.

Zullo had a disappointing end to the season after needing toe surgery when he was injured in Round 26.

He showed flashes of the form that took his to FC Utrecht and saw him capped 10 times by the Socceroos but had the kind of soft tissue injuries often associated with players returning from a knee reconstruction.

Garuccio, like Mauk, was born and bred in Adelaide, while striker Marc Marino, who was cut by City, could also sign for his hometown club along with Newcastle’s Ryan Kitto.

City’s changes will continue in the coaching ranks with a foreign assistant with English Premier League experience set to be drafted in to replace sacked Luciano Trani.

Fellow assistant Ivan Jolic quit while Trani, who’s been with the club for two years, got the surprise news last week.

City last week axed Aaron Hughes, James Brown, Jason Trifiro, Wade Dekker and Marino while captain Patrick Kisnorbo retired and was handed a youth coaching role.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-to-sign-adelaide-uniteds-aleague-grand-final-goalscorer-bruce-kamau/news-story/0a885267fe6c723608742034ceca69d6

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

If Mooy is sold then JVS is gone. Part of the sale will cover his pay out.

This is the first time I've felt positive about Mooy going... Not sure how I feel about that.

Having said that, why would they be getting a Manchester assistant in if we were also getting a new coach? Sounds more like JVS is getting more support/a babysitter?

We are not getting a new Head Coach before next season.
The new Assistant Coach is the heir-apparent, and can take over at a moment's notice if van 't Schip doesn't make all his KPIs next season.
CFG mean business.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We are not getting a new Head Coach before next season.
The new Assistant Coach is the heir-apparent, and can take over at a moment's notice if van 't Schip doesn't make all his KPIs next season.
CFG mean business.

If they ment business he`d be gone shortly :) and he WILL BE GONE!!

Also, summary of the player movements reported by the article @Murfy1 posted above:

Nick Fitzgerald - has been offered a new deal and is expected to sign

Bruce Kamau - will join Melbourne City next season

Michael Zullo - out of contract and yet to be offered a new deal

Anthony Caceres - loan deal from Manchester City has expired and is under review by the FFA

Ben Garuccio - being courted by Adelaide 

Assistant coach - a foreign assistant with English Premier League experience set to be drafted in

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Assistant coach - a foreign assistant with English Premier League experience set to be drafted in

Ruben Cousillas?

He and Brian Kidd are Pelligrini's two Assistant Managers at ManC.

Edited by jw1739

• jw1739 pinned this topic