Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Barbarouses is the most overrated player in the league. Very one-dimentional. He's fast and that's about it. The amount of times he gets the ball in acres of space on the wing, sprints for 20 yards and then turns himself into a dead-end is unbelievable. Maybe if he wasn't a Victory player I would consider it, but he is, so I would not take him.

55 minutes ago, Matinclattenberg1 said:

We need a right winger atm. He's a proven right winger, defenders would have to worry about 4 attackers instead of three. just because he is from victory doesn't mean we shouldn't have a crack at signing him. Victory won the league on basis of having a good front four. 

We all agree we need a right winger, but there is better than Kosta Barbarouses out there. What's the point of having 63838 scouts if we're just going to pick a guy who I could pick watching our cross town rivals on a Saturday night 

16 minutes ago, biancorosso7 said:

What would people think if Demichelis was offered by CFG on a 2 year deal, under the cap?

Only on the proviso he doesn't play consecutive games, misses matches due to general soreness or whiplash and then at some point has a calf injury. 

Then and only then it's a yes from me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, biancorosso7 said:

What would people think if Demichelis was offered by CFG on a 2 year deal, under the cap?

A good defender in his day and specifically brought from Malaga by Pellegrini. Good positioning and reading of the game but slow for the EPL and needs to be paired with a quick CB. A better version of Hughes.

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

A good defender in his day and specifically brought from Malaga by Pellegrini. Good positioning and reading of the game but slow for the EPL and needs to be paired with a quick CB. A better version of Hughes.

he was signed when mancini was manager, i thought... could be wrong  

nope you're right

Edited by Tonyboozeadams

12 minutes ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

he was signed when mancini was manager, i thought... could be wrong  

nope you're right

Yep, from Wiki. He was playing for Malaga in the match I saw them play against Bielsa's Athletic Bilboa

In late December 2010 Demichelis agreed to a deal with Spanish club Málaga CF, initially until the end of the 2010–11 season, with the Malagueños retaining the option to extend the contract for a further two seasons.[9][10] He rejoined former River Plate manager Manuel Pellegrini, and made his La Liga debut on 8 January 2011, scoring in a 1–1 home draw against Athletic Bilbao.[11]

During his first four months with Málaga, Demichelis was sent off twice, but also started in all the matches he was available, being essential – as another January 2011 signee, Júlio Baptista – as the club eventually avoided relegation. On 22 August 2012 he scored the club's first-ever UEFA Champions Leaguegoal, netting the opener in the 2–0 playoff home win against Panathinaikos FC (also the aggregate score).[12]

On 11 July 2013, Demichelis signed for Atlético Madrid on a one-year contract, after his link with Málaga expired.[13] In December he started legal action against the latter over "non-payments", relating to "€400,000 of unpaid wages as well as bonuses".[14]

Manchester City[edit]

On 1 September 2013, Demichelis joined former Málaga boss Pellegrini and signed with Manchester City, penning a two-year contract for a reported £4.2 million. He had been with Atlético for less than two months, and had yet to make an appearance.[15]

If we are going to have visa players under the cap they must be under 30. I note that Fornaroli and Novillo fit that definition as well as many other players across the A-League but most importantly they are delivering. I am done with hiring older players that seem to be continually injured.

I will make an exception for marquee and guest but only if they merit these terms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Deeming said:

I had thought the rule was any free agents could be signed but Sydney FC CEO says otherwise

I always thought this was the case but didn't we sign Wilkinson after the second. (No idea when paperwork was lodged though.)

A guest player can be signed I believe as they don't have to he registered.

Either way it's possible to sign Cahill if we could get him to sign!

Edited by Jozzy

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

No way we should take Cahill when Bruno is on fire and will command a marquee deal 

We could only sign Cahill as a guest so you wouldn't need to worry about taking the marquee spot we've presumably left for Bruno.

How you'd fit the two in the same starting eleven is the real question.

24 minutes ago, Jozzy said:

We could only sign Cahill as a guest so you wouldn't need to worry about taking the marquee spot we've presumably left for Bruno.

How you'd fit the two in the same starting eleven is the real question.

Cahill in Fitzy's spot on the wing for mine.

Novillo / Bruno / Cahill 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Do you understand why that Wellington deal (Jones?) fell over @jw1739 ?

im finding all these subtle rule variations hard to follow.

My reading of it is that it took place after the transfer window of the receiving football administration (NZF) had closed. Had Jones been released before 2nd February he would have been a free agent and it could have happened irrespective of the window, but he was still registered in England at the NZF deadline.

IMO the argument is exactly the same as for Cahill. He was released in China after our window closed so he cannot come here as a free agent.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My reading of it is that it took place after the transfer window of the receiving football administration (NZF) had closed. Had Jones been released before 2nd February he would have been a free agent and it could have happened irrespective of the window, but he was still registered in England at the NZF deadline.

IMO the argument is exactly the same as for Cahill. He was released in China after our window closed so he cannot come here as a free agent.

Correct, however both would be eligible as a guest player.

its then up to FFA to decide if the player fits the bill as a guest, which in Cahills case would be yes, and Jones no

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Guest stint?

Can someone please clarify something for me: I know that the Australian Marquee spot was changed to the "Domestic" Marquee spot (before it became the second marquee spot), which allowed New Zealanders (aka Shane Smeltz) to be signed by an Australian club and not take up the "International Marquee" spot.

My question is, do NZ players definitely take up a VISA spot in the A-League? In the ACL they do, fine...but in the A-League too?

20 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Can someone please clarify something for me: I know that the Australian Marquee spot was changed to the "Domestic" Marquee spot (before it became the second marquee spot), which allowed New Zealanders (aka Shane Smeltz) to be signed by an Australian club and not take up the "International Marquee" spot.

My question is, do NZ players definitely take up a VISA spot in the A-League? In the ACL they do, fine...but in the A-League too?

My understanding is they do.

41 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

In general, NZ players take up a visa place when playing for the Australian clubs in the A-League. They do not take up a visa place for Wellington (but Australian players do).

The determining factor is citizenship**. Shane Smeltz holds dual citizenship (NZ and Aus). My understanding is that he therefore does not take up a visa place for the Australian clubs in the A-League.

**Edit: ...There are a couple of other clauses on qualification as "Australian" - intention to acquire citizenship, or permanent resident who undertakes to represent Aus if selected.

Edited by jw1739

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Not true, Australian players don't take up a visa spot for Wellington.

Hence there is an unfair advantage for Wellington.

Edit: Apologies. You are correct. I misread "New Zealand or Australia" in the relevant clause.

Edited by jw1739

• jw1739 pinned this topic