Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I bet Trifiro is just a train-on, who isn't a real chance to get a deal for next season. Melbourne City is pretty open with regards to letting uncontracted players join the team for training, and I'm pretty sure Trifiro is a player who will train with the team for a while then move on.

Edited by Murfy1

Hot on the heels of Josh Kennedy’s retirement, Melbourne City are in overdrive to secure an Australian marquee striker.

Scott McDonald and even Tomi Juric are in the frame but the player for whom MCFC are prepared to break the bank is former Celtic and Greece international Georgios Samaras, who qualifies as an Aussie courtesy of his Melbourne-born father. Still aged 30, Samaras was unhappy at Saudi Al-Hilal and has returned to West Bromwich Albion for pre-season training nursing a back complaint.

He isn’t wanted by coach Tony Pulis and his enormous following among Melbourne’s Greek community would have thousands of new fans flocking to City’s AAMI Park. Club owners are said to be pulling out all stops.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/transfer-rumours-samaras-city-maclaren-heads-east

Found this rumour on 442 adding to the Willo leaving rumour. .

'Aloisi keen to link up with Williams again. Van 't Schip willing to release him from contract. '

DIdnt have a source so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. 

'Aloisi keen to link up with Williams again. Van 't Schip willing to release him from contract. '

I personally doubt it going off what I've heard Williams say about JA.

Roff!

"nursing a back complaint" - He'd be another perfect marquee! 

Would take him before Scotty Mac though, Juric... Maybe, Burns... No, Cahill... No. But he may just be the most realistic option out there. Hahaha

Seriously if we sign Samaras people may as well just cut and copy their complaints about Kennedy to save time as it will be the same old shit all over again except his worst and best games will be slightly further apart than Kennedy's.

Celtic fans have written encyclopedias about the inconsistencies and scoreless patches of Samaras and his even older and slower now... I haven't seen McDonald play for a while but his style of play strikes me as much more A-League aligned.

This is why we shouldn't take the piss on this forum. The club reads it and thinks we're being serious.

Probably the reason Hoff has stuck around so long, given how popular he would seem on here to the uninitiated.

I honestly have believed that for a while and the funniest thing about Hoffmania is that all started due to him buying some certain Under Agers some Alcohol, we should also remember that the so called "Maltese Messi" was mentioned as player who would bring in the droves (Like Samaras apparently will) on here first as well.

• Like 2

He says similar things about JVS doesnt he? Not that means anything with the rumour its just something I have heard. 

He says similar things about JVS doesnt he? Not that means anything with the rumour its just something I have heard. 

I dont think too many PPL would be disappointed to see him go and his opinions on JA aside he surely must realise the club is trying to move on from the time when a player of his ability was good enough to start as a forward.

• Like 1

With all the rumours of potential signings I'm not to concerned by it. Reality is JVS needs to perform this season and take the club forward. It was clear that CFG want an improvement from last season and with the draw we were given, more pressure and weight of expectation is on his shoulders

JVS needs to build a strong squad.. If that includes Samaras, Mclaren, Drogba, or whoever then that's what will get, either way he will live or die by those decisions 

Sigurdsson is an extremely common Icelandic surname. My money would be on Hannes Sigurdsson, a 190cm, 32y.o striker who's bounced around Europe specializing as a target man who doesn't trouble the scored regularly. Right up our alley.

Will only fit the requirements if has recently or is currently injured, otherwise no chance. 

• Like 1

Multiple tweets of Tando Velaphi on Melbourne City's twitter account, with him doing goalkeeper clinics in Melbourne City gear: https://twitter.com/SueCrowMCFC/status/616068838283567104 https://twitter.com/MelbourneCITC/status/616146650986233858

Looks like he's on the way to being re-signed.

Similar to Hoffman, he's been tweeting about Melbourne City recently such as looking forward to versing Sydney in round 1, so it looks like he's staying

• Like 1

Regarding Scott Mcdonald, he plays more as an attacking mid than a striker these days AFAIK, and we really dont need an attacking mid. Could come here and play as a striker, not like we have anyone that can cross anyway. But JVS will probably play him on the wing because of JVS reasons.

• Like 1

Sigurdsson is an extremely common Icelandic surname. My money would be on Hannes Sigurdsson, a 190cm, 32y.o striker who's bounced around Europe specializing as a target man who doesn't trouble the scored regularly. Right up our alley.

Iceland doesn't actually have surnames. It's the only country in the world which retains the system of keeping your father's name as your second name, so someone being called Sigurdsson just means that their dad was called Sigurd. Hence, I guess, why there are so many of them.

I took a look at Transfermarkt and it has about 10 Sigurdssons. Most of them are contracted, though, which doesn't leave many options. Your guy is a possibility, although that website believes he currently has an Achilles tendon rupture and will be out for the rest of July - this could just be out-of-date info, though. The other one with no club is called Kristjan Orn Sigurdsson, a 34-year old CB who has mostly played in Norway and has been out of contract since January. Come to think of it, though, I think your guy looks the more likely. That's supposing that we here any more of this guy at all, of course.

Iceland doesn't actually have surnames. It's the only country in the world which retains the system of keeping your father's name as your second name, so someone being called Sigurdsson just means that their dad was called Sigurd. Hence, I guess, why there are so many of them.

Pretty sure Safuwan was called Safuwan cuz Baharudin was his Paternal name.

Edited by Pete Heartspur

• jw1739 pinned this topic