Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

What I find strange about CFG's spending policy for Melbourne City is that they have splurged on Melbourne City, but they splurged on the training facility, spending way above the club's revenue with $15 million just being splurged on the training facility alone. So it can't be said that CFG are weary of spending well above the club's revenue.

So it does surprise me that they aren't spending $2 million or so on an international marquee for us (which would be double Koren's salary, as numerous reports stated he's on less than $1 million). 

Or to put it another way: where's our Robinho? Where's our statement signing, that shows Melbourne City mean business? CFG just needs to make one such signing, that is sign a real proper marquee, and after that they can fill the squad with salary cap player and youth and so on. Especially with New York City FC making 2 statement signings (Villa and Lampard), and counting, it simply reflects poorly on Melbourne City having Robert Koren for our poster boy who's supposed to make neutrals stand up and take notice.

The marquee situation probably wouldn't be so annoying if we didn't have Engelaar last season. But we did. And supporters are now fully aware of the difference a class player can make (yet alone what a joy such players are to watch). CFG effectively had Engelaar go and replaced him with Koren, so for supporters it can help but feel like we were shortchanged.

So if only for the supporters' sake, it would be worth CFG's while IMO if they brought in a real marquee. If would earn CFG a lot of good faith, and IMO CFG will need to do everything it can to earn good faith from supporters (and from prospective supporters) if it seriously wants to grow the membership base next season, because right now it doesn't feel like CFG are doing us a lot of favours-- we lost Engelaar for Koren, we lost the red and white for a compromise kit, we lost the club name & club badge, the merchandise is widely not liked and memberships and tickets are expensive as ever. CFG should start seriously listening to supporters, and should work hard to bring us along for next season, instead of working around us.

Two things that are different about the training facilities:

1. It's a fixed asset and it will be there for many years to come, they probably factored it into the price they paid for buying the club, as something (adequate training facilities / not wheely bins) that's needed to run a football club. Whereas for seasonal expenditure, there is probably a set budget which doesn't allow for any over the top spending. Which makes sense to me, we seem to be operating on a similar amount of money as Victory and Sydney, the two most financially strong teams in the league outside of us. In the long run, these three teams should be the strongest and we will win our far share of championships. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend significantly more than every other team, especially when there isn't a whole lot of revenue to be made in the A-League. I've always believed, and CFG have side it themselves, that they want to run a sustainable club, not one that relies on constant investment of capital. Training facilities are a one time investment that will last for many years and provide us a huge benefit going forward, an asset. Spending large amounts of money on player salaries a season, an expense, which far exceeds our revenue does not equate to a sustainable club. I dare say they only want to tip in money for a few years, and then after that the club will largely fund itself. We have seen with Manchester City that CFG did invest a lot of money, but then City's revenue also increased over the years due to the smart investment from CFG, and now the club is actually sustainable. CFG were never looking to throw away money, all the money they put into Man City was a calculated move aimed at making money, and it looks to me like it's been successful. I dare say there is a similar model for the other CFG clubs, albeit on different scales.

2. As I've stated before, CFG are serious about using us for youth development. It's why JVS is still here, and it's why the facilities were built. A wise investment by CFG if you ask me, Australia has great sporting talent with the right physical and mental attributes, what we've always lacked is the technical ability and if CFG can provide the resources (facilities, coaches, expertise) to develop the technical abilities of young Australian players then it will really pay off for them.

It also means that when they get bored of Melbourne City, they can sell the training facility and most likely make a profit on it and recoup some of the losses from the venture - otherwise lease it out to the new owners of Melbourne City and over time that will recoup the losses. Win win for them.

And as for New York and Lampard and David Villa - well they paid $100m for New York and $10m for us (or whatever it was). Proportionately the right money will be spent, so they won't go out chasing petro dollar players because then it isn't a sustainable club. 

CFA Melbourne is on the campus of La Trobe Uni, and I interpret that to mean that the property is owned by LTU and not CFG.

It's also not just a training centre for City, but the headquarters of CFA's operations in the Asia-Pacific.

No way that Melbourne City is a temporary plaything; CFG are in this for the long haul.

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2015/release/city-football-academy-unveiled

• Like 1

Melbourne City need new keeper after Andrew Redmayne joins A-League rivals Western Sydney Wanderers

MATT WINDLEY

JUNE 18, 2015 6:15PM

MELBOURNE City is in the market for a new goalkeeper after parting ways with long-time gloveman Andrew Redmayne, with the 26-year-old signing with Western Sydney Wanderers.

The club wants to keep out of contract Tando Velaphi, who assumed the No. 1 position midway through last season, and is in talks to keep the 28-year-old at the club for a third season.

But regardless of whether Velaphi stays or goes, City is hunting for at least one new shot stopper.

Danny Vukovic signed for Melbourne Victory earlier this month, but City’s cross-town rivals had previously released former Socceroo Nathan Coe while championship-winning keeper Lawrence Thomas remains off contract.

Ante Covic, 40, was released by Western Sydney, while further abroad Western Australian Brad Jones announced last month he was leaving English Premier League giant Liverpool after five years.

It is rare for A-League clubs to use a visa spot on a goalkeeper, but City is one club that could theoretically entertain such a move given its foreign player situation remains extremely fluid.

Only international marquee Robert Koren is signed for next season, although the club has put offers to winger Harry Novillo and utility Jonatan Germano.

Germano’s situation is particularly tricky given his wretched injury record.

The Argentine has played just 56 of a possible 111 games in his four years at the club, but demonstrated his worth towards the back-end of last season.

In a year’s time he can become an Australian citizen — and it’s understood the 27-year-old wants to remain in Australia — but City would still have to use one of its five foreign spots on him in the meantime.

Novillo, 23, has also expressed a desire to stay in the A-League, but whether the club and his management can come to an agreement that will suitably fit the Martinique international under the salary cap remains to be seen.

“I don’t want back to Europe,” Novillo told the Herald Sun last month.

“In my head, next year, I’m in Melbourne.”

Massimo Murdocca was officially released so that the midfielder could play a 10-game stint with National Premier League club Avondale, but like Novillo and Germano, talks between his management and the club are continuing about next season.

After falling to the No. 2 position, Redmayne was unlikely to see much game time in 2015-16 and so terminating his contract with one year remaining was seen as mutually beneficial.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-need-new-keeper-after-andrew-redmayne-joins-a-league-rivals-western-sydney-wanderers/story-fnk6rlg0-1227404583656

Edited by Murfy1

There's a few interesting things in Windley's article.

It was just assumed that the club was keen to re-sign Velaphi, but there was no reports that a deal was definitely in the works. Now with Redmayne officially gone Melbourne City have dodged the nightmare scenario of only strengthening our goalkeeping stocks by keeping Redmayne (or more accurately being stuck with him, as he was contracted for next season) and releasing Velaphi, so we could bring in a new keeper. Hence now we'll very likely keep Velaphi--I reckon the negotiations will move quickly, as a deal very much suits both parties--and bring in a new goalkeeper who can be or compete for the no 1 position.  

It's the first time I've seen it reported that Melbourne City has "put [an] offer to Germano". Recently the only thing the media reported was that "City is yet to decide whether it will offer Argentine Jonatan Germano". So a deal is getting closer, it seems, with Germano.

Agree about Novillo. No news there, and it seems things have stayed the same with Melbourne City putting forward an offer to Novillo with it being unclear whether he's accepted or not, and the suggestion being negotiations have not progressed quicker due to disagreements over money.

And I agree there's no news about Mudocca. He said "discussions" were continuing with the club after the club agreed to mutually terminate his contract a little early, so he could do his 10 game NPL stint. So no developments there, and IMO I reckon Murdocca won't be re-signed. Having his contract mutually terminated with the club so he could join a NPL club doesn't sound like "talks between his management and the club" are progressing very well. 

All up IMO the club is pretty much getting it right with all the Melbourne City player contracts it's negotiating. Fair play to the club, they seem to have commenced the off-season transfer activity pretty well. And hopefully we hear some news on new signings soon.

If the kid doesn't want to be at the club, he isn't going to play for the Guernsey! Why would you want him around?

Yes it's a job, but if you aren't happy where you are, then your productivity will dwindle!

Just let the kid go!

Edited by Deviant

The good news, reading between the lines, is that Colosimo is backing Mclaren in his bid to leave Perf and hopefully at the same time stitching a deal between the lad and his old club Heart. Come on Shime, do it for your old club maaaaaate ;)

Reading between the lines? It clearly states that he is, and even if it wasn't stated obviously Colosimo is backing him because it's his job to do so.

• jw1739 pinned this topic