Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

It staggers me how people just expect CFG to part with $800000 or whatever the amount is just because they're so wealthy.

It may not sound like much coin, but I'm tipping they didn't make their riches just by throwing money away.

Sure it can be argued it may be a wise investment if they can bring in someone more marketable, but we shouldn't just expect them to pay out players just because they can.

Yeah i agree Koren has been extremely disappointing, but unless club and player can come to some sort of arrangement, i can see him running (jogging) around for us next season.

Well actually they got rich by collecting, then selling a black liquid that pours out of the ground in their country.

I think it's more "the managers" don't want to be seen as poor stewards of the company's money (like niko said). Truth is though they took a big gamble on Koren (an ageing English 2nd division player) and it failed miserably. Sometimes in life, when you stuff up, it's a lot easier to just admit it and move on, wiser, rather than making things worse trying to justify your mistake.

Agree with everything you have said mate, I'm more commenting on the expectation many of us supporters have that CFG will 'quick fix' all our issues just by throwing money at it - because they have so much.

I just can't see them operating that way.

Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.

the cost to replace koren is a lot more than the 800k to pay him out with tho.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name.

You're forgetting the scouting costs finding this new player as well as administrative costs regarding terminating Koren and signing the new player.

It staggers me how people just expect CFG to part with $800000 or whatever the amount is just because they're so wealthy.

It may not sound like much coin, but I'm tipping they didn't make their riches just by throwing money away.

Sure it can be argued it may be a wise investment if they can bring in someone more marketable, but we shouldn't just expect them to pay out players just because they can.

Yeah i agree Koren has been extremely disappointing, but unless club and player can come to some sort of arrangement, i can see him running (jogging) around for us next season.

Well actually they got rich by collecting, then selling a black liquid that pours out of the ground in their country.

I think it's more "the managers" don't want to be seen as poor stewards of the company's money (like niko said). Truth is though they took a big gamble on Koren (an ageing English 2nd division player) and it failed miserably. Sometimes in life, when you stuff up, it's a lot easier to just admit it and move on, wiser, rather than making things worse trying to justify your mistake. Agree with everything you have said mate, I'm more commenting on the expectation many of us supporters have that CFG will 'quick fix' all our issues just by throwing money at it - because they have so much.

I just can't see them operating that way. Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.the cost to replace koren is a lot more than the 800k to pay him out with tho.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name. You're forgetting the scouting costs finding this new player as well as administrative costs regarding terminating Koren and signing the new player. Don't overcomplicate it mate, too many details will explode some peoples heads.

I think it's more "the managers" don't want to be seen as poor stewards of the company's money (like niko said). Truth is though they took a big gamble on Koren (an ageing English 2nd division player) and it failed miserably. Sometimes in life, when you stuff up, it's a lot easier to just admit it and move on, wiser, rather than making things worse trying to justify your mistake. Agree with everything you have said mate, I'm more commenting on the expectation many of us supporters have that CFG will 'quick fix' all our issues just by throwing money at it - because they have so much.

I just can't see them operating that way. Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name.

I understand it may cost them a couple of million to exit koren and bring in a replacement marquee, but I just can't fathom how someone like koren who gets paid the highest in our squad can be given another year to float around the field and be nothing but a witch's hat week in week out. It is the position where they can buy out the contract without it counting to salary why not utilize it?

I think it's more "the managers" don't want to be seen as poor stewards of the company's money (like niko said). Truth is though they took a big gamble on Koren (an ageing English 2nd division player) and it failed miserably. Sometimes in life, when you stuff up, it's a lot easier to just admit it and move on, wiser, rather than making things worse trying to justify your mistake.Agree with everything you have said mate, I'm more commenting on the expectation many of us supporters have that CFG will 'quick fix' all our issues just by throwing money at it - because they have so much.

I just can't see them operating that way.Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name. I understand it may cost them a couple of million to exit koren and bring in a replacement marquee, but I just can't fathom how someone like koren who gets paid the highest in our squad can be given another year to float around the field and be nothing but a witch's hat week in week out. It is the position where they can buy out the contract without it counting to salary why not utilize it? Because it will cost them at least a couple million to do it.

You're not a business man are you?

I think it's more "the managers" don't want to be seen as poor stewards of the company's money (like niko said). Truth is though they took a big gamble on Koren (an ageing English 2nd division player) and it failed miserably. Sometimes in life, when you stuff up, it's a lot easier to just admit it and move on, wiser, rather than making things worse trying to justify your mistake.

Agree with everything you have said mate, I'm more commenting on the expectation many of us supporters have that CFG will 'quick fix' all our issues just by throwing money at it - because they have so much.

Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.

I understand it may cost them a couple of million to exit koren and bring in a replacement marquee, but I just can't fathom how someone like koren who gets paid the highest in our squad can be given another year to float around the field and be nothing but a witch's hat week in week out. It is the position where they can buy out the contract without it counting to salary why not utilize it?

One reason may be that we simply can't afford to.

I think it's more "the managers" don't want to be seen as poor stewards of the company's money (like niko said). Truth is though they took a big gamble on Koren (an ageing English 2nd division player) and it failed miserably. Sometimes in life, when you stuff up, it's a lot easier to just admit it and move on, wiser, rather than making things worse trying to justify your mistake.Agree with everything you have said mate, I'm more commenting on the expectation many of us supporters have that CFG will 'quick fix' all our issues just by throwing money at it - because they have so much.

I just can't see them operating that way.Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name.I understand it may cost them a couple of million to exit koren and bring in a replacement marquee, but I just can't fathom how someone like koren who gets paid the highest in our squad can be given another year to float around the field and be nothing but a witch's hat week in week out. It is the position where they can buy out the contract without it counting to salary why not utilize it?Because it will cost them at least a couple million to do it.

No your right I'm not, anyway I've said my part koren useless, here's hoping cfg move him on.

• Like 1

I just can't see them operating that way. Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster. the cost to replace koren is a lot more than the 800k to pay him out with tho.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name. I understand it may cost them a couple of million to exit koren and bring in a replacement marquee, but I just can't fathom how someone like koren who gets paid the highest in our squad can be given another year to float around the field and be nothing but a witch's hat week in week out. It is the position where they can buy out the contract without it counting to salary why not utilize it? Because it will cost them at least a couple million to do it.

No your right I'm not, anyway I've said my part koren useless, here's hoping cfg move him on.

As fans business logic should be thrown out the window when you go from breakeven FC to being owned by a group looking to pay 40-50 million poonds for Raheem fking Sterling! 

• Like 4

I just can't see them operating that way.Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.the cost to replace koren is a lot more than the 800k to pay him out with tho.

Its 800k plus the salary of whoever you replace him with, which is likely at least 1mil per season on top. Probably more if you want a marquee that is a big name.I understand it may cost them a couple of million to exit koren and bring in a replacement marquee, but I just can't fathom how someone like koren who gets paid the highest in our squad can be given another year to float around the field and be nothing but a witch's hat week in week out. It is the position where they can buy out the contract without it counting to salary why not utilize it?Because it will cost them at least a couple million to do it.

You're not a business man are you? No your right I'm not, anyway I've said my part koren useless, here's hoping cfg move him on.

As fans business logic should be thrown out the window when you go from breakeven FC to being owned by a group looking to pay 40-50 million poonds for Raheem fking Sterling!

I was going to mention that but thought fuck it just back out of the debate haha

Because it will cost them at least a couple million to do it.

I was going to mention that but thought fuck it just back out of the debate haha

That's probably like 10% of Man City's revenue.

10% of our revenue is less than Koren's payout figure.

So us terminating Koren's contract (before we've even signed anyone to replace him), is a costlier move than Man City signing Sterling, relative to the individual clubs' revenue.

• Like 2

I just can't see them operating that way. Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster. the cost to replace koren is a lot more than the 800k to pay him out with tho.

You are forgetting opportunity cost of brand damage. If keeping Korne for another means that future incomes may be foregone or more difficult to obtain because the public knows that the team is crap. So by terminating Koren now and bringing a marquee that is successful on the pitch as well as better known could lift revenues through better branding.

You are forgetting opportunity cost of brand damage. If keeping Korne for another means that future incomes may be foregone or more difficult to obtain because the public knows that the team is crap. So by terminating Koren now and bringing a marquee that is successful on the pitch as well as better known could lift revenues through better branding.

Yes, because people that didn't already think this team is crap will have their mind changed based on the outcome of Robert Koren's contract...

Moving Koren on for someone better (assuming that someone will be better at all, no guarantee when it comes to our history) won't correct the issues this club has as a brand, it's dangled that carrot in front of people too often.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

Aware of that, that's a decision for management to make tho.

Im certainly not, and I don't think any of us here are in a position to make the call over whether that is affecting their brand by more than the contract expense.

Im certainly not, and I don't think any of us here are in a position to make the call over whether that is affecting their brand by more than the contract expense.

Doesnt matter. With 800k down the drain, how do you expect them to be able to rort the financial fair play system in UEFA.

I just can't see them operating that way.Not saying quick fix merely pointing out koren was/ is useless in every aspect for this squad. In this league you need to get the marquee right pretty evident by where the top teams finished this year. I'm not asking for the whole squad to be sacked and replaced just koren because he is taking up a vital spot on the roster.the cost to replace koren is a lot more than the 800k to pay him out with tho.

Based on your initial logic the cost of paying out Koren's contract would merely be the replacement player's salary for the year (plus incidentals in signing the player). Not the salary plus Koren's payout figure.

As touched on above, in my opinion there is quite potentially a large opportunity cost of not replacing Koren (and JVS) with someone who can be instrumental in us winning a title.

You are forgetting opportunity cost of brand damage. If keeping Korne for another means that future incomes may be foregone or more difficult to obtain because the public knows that the team is crap. So by terminating Koren now and bringing a marquee that is successful on the pitch as well as better known could lift revenues through better branding. Aware of that, that's a decision for management to make tho.

Based on your initial logic the cost of paying out Koren's contract would merely be the replacement player's salary for the year (plus incidentals in signing the player). Not the salary plus Koren's payout figure.

As touched on above, in my opinion there is quite potentially a large opportunity cost of not replacing Koren (and JVS) with someone who can be instrumental in us winning a title.

Technically you'd be losing Koren's "service's" as well though for that dead 800k. It's not like we are paying him out and getting something in return if you know what I mean.

Either way I tend to agree with you re opportunity cost and terminating Koren's contract fwiw, just saying I don't think my relatively uninformed opinion is necessarily of more value than those in charge.

Exactly.

Considering our crowds at the end of the season were roughly 10,000 less than they were at the start (even though we had the  "best" season in the clubs history) I'm sure CFG are well aware that people arent going to put up with any more boring/garbage football at this club. If they feel  they can play football that people want to come watch without spending that much money, they will.

Let them worry about it. If they make the wrong choice, I'm sure it will become apparent very quickly. 

• Like 2

Yes, because people that didn't already think this team is crap will have their mind changed based on the outcome of Robert Koren's contract...

Moving Koren on for someone better (assuming that someone will be better at all, no guarantee when it comes to our history) won't correct the issues this club has as a brand, it's dangled that carrot in front of people too often.

CFG aren't just spreading their brand to people who follow the A-League as closely as we do. There are lots of people out there who don't closely follow the league but will hear the name from time to time, particularly if a major signing is announced or we do happen to win the league. They haven't plastered Etihad on the front of our kit just for the fans.

What I find strange about CFG's spending policy for Melbourne City is that they have splurged on Melbourne City, but they splurged on the training facility, spending way above the club's revenue with $15 million just being splurged on the training facility alone. So it can't be said that CFG are weary of spending well above the club's revenue.

So it does surprise me that they aren't spending $2 million or so on an international marquee for us (which would be double Koren's salary, as numerous reports stated he's on less than $1 million). 

Or to put it another way: where's our Robinho? Where's our statement signing, that shows Melbourne City mean business? CFG just needs to make one such signing, that is sign a real proper marquee, and after that they can fill the squad with salary cap player and youth and so on. Especially with New York City FC making 2 statement signings (Villa and Lampard), and counting, it simply reflects poorly on Melbourne City having Robert Koren for our poster boy who's supposed to make neutrals stand up and take notice.

The marquee situation probably wouldn't be so annoying if we didn't have Engelaar last season. But we did. And supporters are now fully aware of the difference a class player can make (yet alone what a joy such players are to watch). CFG effectively had Engelaar go and replaced him with Koren, so for supporters it can help but feel like we were shortchanged.

So if only for the supporters' sake, it would be worth CFG's while IMO if they brought in a real marquee. If would earn CFG a lot of good faith, and IMO CFG will need to do everything it can to earn good faith from supporters (and from prospective supporters) if it seriously wants to grow the membership base next season, because right now it doesn't feel like CFG are doing us a lot of favours-- we lost Engelaar for Koren, we lost the red and white for a compromise kit, we lost the club name & club badge, the merchandise is widely not liked and memberships and tickets are expensive as ever. CFG should start seriously listening to supporters, and should work hard to bring us along for next season, instead of working around us.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

Murf, I take a somewhat opposite view. I see the change in name, badge, colours etc. as the re-branding that CFG intended to carry out, and that a complete re-branding was thwarted only by the objection of Sydney FC to us having a completely sky blue jersey. I'd say that their statement of intent is indeed the new Academy at Bundoora, which opened only in February, about half-way through the season.

On Robbie Koren they would be well aware that he has not lived up to expectations, but just because our owners are wealthy does not mean that they are going to throw good money after bad and reward someone for non-performance. IMO they will stick with Koren (and JvS) and expect that between the two of them they will improve on last season's overall performance.

CFG seem to have a fairly conservative management style based on the belief that "we know what we're doing" and "we'll tell you when we want to" and I doubt that the views of a few keyboard warriors are going to change that very much if at all.

I'm not saying that I agree with their approach, but IMO that's the way they go about things and that despite our frustrations both Koren and van 't Schip will be with City next season (along with the other non-performers such as Hoffman, Redmayne and Williams).

• Like 1

I tend to take a different view altogether. CFG knew that the training facilities were poor and that the team needed a rebuild but were held back contractually. Why JVS? Well he came took over a complete basket case and they actually had some wins - this also coincided with OE coming back from injury (but he was back before JA was given the flick). So they began by doing what was under their control the most - the facilities, followed by releasing a host of players that were coming off contract. To my mind there is no point in having a marquee player that is so far ahead of everyone else in the team - this leads to demoralisation and friction. Instead some of the supporting players have been found that will be here for a little while such as Mooy, Melling, and Chapman. For next season we shall have Franjic and Kuzmanovsky. So the team continues to flesh out.

Koren was expected to be a step up but he has not performed. That is not unusual in the A-League. We shall also have a clearer idea where we need the marquee. So although my preference is for Koren to depart I can understand why the club will live with him for another season. I am still not sure whether we need a big name signing costing heaps - after all Berisha came here without a name and more than likely still has no name outside of the a-league and yet he has delivered the goods. Also, I am still not sure where I want the marquee to play and I suspect that neither does JVS (which is a real worry!)

• Like 1

CFG seem to have a fairly conservative management style based on the belief that "we know what we're doing" and "we'll tell you when we want to" and I doubt that the views of a few keyboard warriors are going to change that very much if at all.

I fully agree with both of these points, which are effectively the same. CFG is very top-down in their decision making, and pretty much believe they know best about everything. The problem with this type of decision-making is that it can make an organisation stubborn, and it can double-down on bad ideas rather than acknowledging mistakes and moving on.

If CFG thought the training facility and the coat of new paint with the re-brand were going to wow people, I'm afraid they are sorely mistaken. Especially with supporters of Melbourne Heart, who developed very good bullshit-detectors after 4 rough seasons with Heart, the only way the club was ever going to win people over long-term was success on the pitch. And quality marquees (and quality signings in general) can help.

I've said it before that I dislike the goldilocks approach to signing marquees, where an A-League club tries to get it "just right". For every unknown star like Berisha, there's a Richardinho and a Robbie Koren. I just think it's a too chancy approach to such an important team position to go after unknown players. Better IMO to go big and sign a class player, whether he has a big name or not (for e.g., just an EPL veteran but not a name).

Anyway, if the above is TLDR: CFG it's time to step up. They have to make some important decisions before next season if the club is going to be competitive on and off the pitch, and IMO the club should err on the side of "over-doing" things (e.g. signings) rather than "under-doing" things. It's time to be bold.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The only thing I'd add is to sign a class player who fits in with the team and that we play a structure and system where all the players fit in. ADP was good off the field for SFC but less convincing in the way that he destabilised SFC. Koren has been invisible so far, Engelaar was just about right. 

• Like 2

I'm actually hoping we don't get a big name guest stint after how things went with Villa. Throws off the squad, doesn't help the crowds long term.

It can be used properly though, so long as it adds to the team on field

Someone like a Mix Diskerud or George John for 10 games wouldn't be to bad

I fully agree with both of these points, which are effectively the same. CFG is very top-down in their decision making, and pretty much believe they know best about everything. The problem with this type of decision-making is that it can make an organisation stubborn, and it can double-down on bad ideas rather than acknowledging mistakes and moving on.

If CFG thought the training facility and the coat of new paint with the re-brand were going to wow people, I'm afraid they are sorely mistaken. Especially with supporters of Melbourne Heart, who developed very good bullshit-detectors after 4 rough seasons with Heart, the only way the club was ever going to win people over long-term was success on the pitch. And quality marquees (and quality signings in general) can help.

I've said it before that I dislike the goldilocks approach to signing marquees, where an A-League club tries to get it "just right". For every unknown star like Berisha, there's a Richardinho and a Robbie Koren. I just think it's a too chancy approach to such an important team position to go after unknown players. Better IMO to go big and sign a class player, whether he has a big name or not (for e.g., just an EPL veteran but not a name).

Anyway, if the above is TLDR: CFG it's time to step up. They have to make some important decisions before next season if the club is going to be competitive on and off the pitch, and IMO the club should err on the side of "over-doing" things (e.g. signings) rather than "under-doing" things. It's time to be bold.

I have to disagree with your view of CFG. They are interested in building from the bottom up and see the new facility as a prime ingredient in how they want to take the club forward.

I am sure they are surprised and disappointed about the non impact that Koren has made. They chose him not because he was a big star, but they thought he was a solid player who could improve the side.

The fact that he hasn't lived up to expectations is not the fault of CFG. That is down the player himself and possibly the management of how they use him.

If it was purely down to money, then I would have no doubt he would be replaced. Maybe he will be.

I believe that come the start of the season the squad will be much improved.

Hopefully the management team can get the formation and tactics right to bring the best out of all the players.

• Like 1

I'm actually hoping we don't get a big name guest stint after how things went with Villa. Throws off the squad, doesn't help the crowds long term.

A guest stint can be a good ploy to rest good key players - particularly if the stint comes mid-way through the year. Getting a good defender/midfielder for instance can help us rotate Erik, Kisnorbo etc, and avoid burnout come seasons end. 

Perhaps on Koren, they are hopeful that he will have a solid injury free pre-season, and that the coaching staff will work out how to get the best out of him alongside Mooy and our other midfieders, meaning that they get their return on investment next season.  

we live in hope

• Like 1

Perhaps on Koren, they are hopeful that he will have a solid injury free pre-season, and that the coaching staff will work out how to get the best out of him alongside Mooy and our other midfieders, meaning that they get their return on investment next season.  

we live in hope

I don't

VDV was always going to be tough because of family issues, which is also a key reason why MLS side Kansas City didn't sign him:

“It isn't a money issue. It's more around some family things,” [Kansas City CEO] Heineman added. “He's got a son in Hamburg, obviously, and he's got a father who travels to a lot of his games, and so we've got to accommodate some of those things.

“So if we can work those things out, we'll have him.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/05/sporting-kansas-city-confirm-interest-adding-dutch-international-rafael-van-

I'm hopeful the club was seriously interested in Drogba, like Fox Sports presenter Zappone stated, if only for a guest stint. Mooy's fantastic, and I love that he plays for us, but its not too good that he's the only class in the team (although maybe Kennedy as well will show a little class next season after a full pre-season. I think that's something the club and CFG is expecting). Hopefully there is some injection of class into the team before next season.

Ultimately I do think that CFG will significantly improve our squad and make us a real competitive side for next season. It would be nice though to hear more about how they will do that (whether through club announcements or news reports). With the first FFA Cup match in a little over 5 weeks it would be good to go into that tournament with a strengthened side that's trained together for at least a few weeks, especially after being knocked out in the first round last season in a home match.

Edited by Murfy1

VDV was always going to be tough because of family issues, which is also a key reason why MLS side Kansas City didn't sign him:

“It isn't a money issue. It's more around some family things,” [Kansas City CEO] Heineman added. “He's got a son in Hamburg, obviously, and he's got a father who travels to a lot of his games, and so we've got to accommodate some of those things.

“So if we can work those things out, we'll have him.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/03/05/sporting-kansas-city-confirm-interest-adding-dutch-international-rafael-van-

I'm hopeful the club was seriously interested in Drogba, like Fox Sports presenter Zappone stated, if only for a guest stint. Mooy's fantastic, and I love that he plays for us, but its not too good that he's the only class in the team (although maybe Kennedy as well will show a little class next season after a full pre-season. I think that's something the club and CFG is expecting). Hopefully there is some injection of class into the team before next season.

Ultimately I do think that CFG will significantly improve our squad and make us a real competitive side for next season. It would be nice though to hear more about how they will do that (whether through club announcements or news reports). With the first FFA Cup match in a little over 5 weeks it would be good to go into that tournament with a strengthened side that's trained together for at least a few weeks, especially after being knocked out in the first round last season in a home match.

I think it just adds more weight to Koren staying.

Hopefully we can add a good striker or a more dynamic #10 as our visa.

• jw1739 pinned this topic