Melbourne Football

Rd 1 vs Brisbane (away) Tues 28/12 7pm

neio

12 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Just gonna give shit to Metcalfe again and can we play Nabbout striker with Jamie

Metcalfes spot needs addressing if he doesn’t improve quickly, can’t be a forever talent - our league has lost talent I’ve been told so he needs to be able thrive.

Unfortunately that position also usually faces the best players of the opposition and I’m also not convinced that this is Conners best position.

That final piece of creativity needs to come from that attacking midfielder, we are skipping midfield now.

4 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

We look really rusty and slow. 

New squad, needs gelling?

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, Bannon said:

not an amazing half dunno why we seem to be going to the old hoof it long for some periods, o neil looked alright just needa move the ball more

That's what we kept doing against Bentleigh for pretty much the whole of the second half. Kick it long and hope someone runs on to it. Nobody did.

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Metcalfes spot needs addressing if he doesn’t improve quickly, can’t be a forever talent - our league has lost talent I’ve been told so he needs to be able thrive.

Unfortunately that position also usually faces the best players of the opposition and I’m also not convinced that this is Conners best position.

That final piece of creativity needs to come from that attacking midfielder, we are skipping midfield now.

Im just convinced half the NPL players can compete in the A league. Its the second game and I am already fed up 🤣. Looks like I'm going back to watchinf Serie A again

If we leave Brisbane with a draw? Happy, content or disappointed?

I keep reading that we have easily the best squad in the league, someone even said the best in years.

Then there are others outpointing our deficiencies.

One thing I do know is these games you have to win to get the season started on the right foot.

Edited by Mr MO

35 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Thanks Connor!

5 minutes ago, malloy said:

Our off the ball movement is trash, especially in midfield. No one wants to present to receive a pass and everyone is running away from the person with the ball.

That’s exactly the midfield issue we are talking about. Metcalfe great goal but him and Luna don’t want the ball enough. Nor do they have the skill to turn on their opponent. I takes a different level of player to make a difference in that space.

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Really don't like Akbari. Overreacts and gets Luna sent off, then clatter one of ours on the edge of the box and gets nothing. Already on a yellow... 

The ref thinks he’s alright!

Edited by Mr MO

Just now, Mr MO said:

That’s exactly the midfield issue we are talking about it. Metcalfe great goal but him and Luna don’t want the ball enough. Nor do they have the skill to turn on their opponent.

O'Neill has been doing it too. When the defence has the ball he has been pretty static and has not done either of a) presented to the player with the ball, or b) dragged his marker to create space for the other two midfielders.

Luna and Metcalfe (and the wingers) start to run towards goal.

To me it seems like it might be somewhat of an instruction that we play a quick semi-long ball.

Luna grabbed his hammy, Nabbout done, Griffiths cramp. It’s warm there, can be dehydration. 5 subs we have, use them to prevent more injuries?

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

O'Neill has been doing it too. When the defence has the ball he has been pretty static and has not done either of a) presented to the player with the ball, or b) dragged his marker to create space for the other two midfielders.

Luna and Metcalfe (and the wingers) start to run towards goal.

To me it seems like it might be somewhat of an instruction that we play a quick semi-long ball.

Yes that is the play Mombearts introduced, clearly noticeable when he arrived. He wanted the team to play more direct. I like the runs forward from Luna and Metcalfe but we need to try to keep the ball on the ground. Too often we go long to Jmac too - when he’s surrounded by 3 defenders.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes that is the play Mombearts introduced, clearly noticeable when he arrived. He wanted the team to play more direct. I like the runs forward from Luna and Metcalfe but we need to try to keep the ball on the ground. Too often we go long to Jmac too - when he’s surrounded by 3 defenders.

I somewhat disagree, Mombeart had the team generally play through Brillante and then out to the wingers. Here we don't really seem to know what we are doing.

I also agree with playing long to JMac. Such a stupid strategy.

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

I somewhat disagree, Mombeart had the team generally play through Brillante and then out to the wingers. Here we don't really seem to know what we are doing.

I also agree with playing long to JMac. Such a stupid strategy.

Don’t you remember early last season we all complained about the exact same thing, quick long balls forward? I see the exact same patterns just not executed as well because O’Neill is not Brillante.

Edited by Mr MO